L.T. dusts off feud with Esiason

Taylor Getty Images

A recent documentary on the life of Lawrence Taylor has turned up the heat on a longstanding feud between Taylor and former NFL quarterback Boomer Esiason.

Esiason, a New York-based radio host who played for the Bengals, Jets, and Cardinals and works on Sundays for CBS, made an appearance in the Showtime (a CBS affiliate) production on Taylor.  Esiason reiterated during his interview the widespread belief that the Giants and coach Bill Parcells coddled the hard-charging and fast-living Taylor.

Taylor, who has railed in the past about criticism from Esiason, didn’t like it.

“What the hell you got Boomer Esiason on something that — a piece you do of me?  We can’t stand each other, he don’t know a f–k about me.  What the hell’s he doing on it?” Taylor told Sid Rosenberg of 640 WMEN radio.

“First of all, Boomer’s a dickhead,” Taylor added.  “Hey, listen.  I remember when he was there running the streets, screwing all kind of hoes.  Don’t give me that holier than thou sh-t.  I don’t wanna hear that sh-t. . . .  He gets off on it.  He’s still talking about me.  I ain’t talking about him.”

(We received the raw copy, without bleeps.  Apparently, some or all of the choicest words were dropped from the broadcast.)

As best we can tell, Boomer started talking about Taylor on a big platform nearly 10 years ago, when 60 Minutes was promoting a Lawrence Taylor profile.

This is not the NFL that I played in,” Esiason said on The NFL Today.  “[Taylor] talks about how he circumvented the NFL’s drug testing policy by using other players’ urine.  That is an affront.  The fact that he shouldn’t even been playing because he would have failed the drug test in the first place . . . I have a 12-year-old at home.  He wants to ask me about what is crack cocaine?”

The remarks (which perhaps show that Von Miller has far more in common with Lawrence Taylor than simply playing ability) sparked a reaction from Deion Sanders, which then pulled Dan Marino into the fray.

“We didn’t do anything … [when we played]?” Sanders said.  “I did a lot of things that I’m not proud of.  And I admit to it.  Some people didn’t do anything.  I’m so fortunate to sit up here with guys that never done anything wrong.”

We’ve all done something of which we aren’t proud.  But L.T. seemed to be living at the extreme end of the spectrum, where doing something other than something wrong was the exception, not the rule.

And is it a shock that he was coddled?  That’s the way the NFL works.  Along with every other professional or amateur sport.

The better the player, the more leeway he gets.  Taylor was one of the best ever, which gave him a fairly broad radius for raising hell.

It’s not a knock on Parcells or the Giants that they gave him plenty of rope.  Any other team or coach with a commitment to winning would have done the same thing.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, New York Giants, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
33 Responses to “L.T. dusts off feud with Esiason”
  1. DonRSD says: Sep 24, 2013 11:19 AM

Sid Rosenberg = best in the sports talk radio biz.

2. green41563 says: Sep 24, 2013 11:27 AM

Sid Rosenberg = only sports-radio host to have done more drugs than Taylor.

3. earpaniac says: Sep 24, 2013 11:28 AM

“Doing something wrong” for most people doesn’t involve a mountain made of crack and underage prostitutes. Or that horrible earring.

4. ccjcsr says: Sep 24, 2013 11:31 AM

The past is…the past, leave it there!

5. mogogo1 says: Sep 24, 2013 11:38 AM

Loved L.T. when he played, but he’s got bigger problems in his life than some age-old feud with Boomer.

6. arwiv says: Sep 24, 2013 11:46 AM

Taylor was not one of the best ever…he was THE best ever.

7. crazemastercraze says: Sep 24, 2013 11:53 AM

Everyone involved in this story is are a bunch of freeking babies.

8. justintuckrule says: Sep 24, 2013 11:54 AM

I’m so glad that I got to watch LT in the unadulterated, hard-hitting, coke-filled, pre-twitterverse era of the 80s. We may never have known his greatness otherwise.

9. voiceofrealism says: Sep 24, 2013 11:54 AM

Hey LT,

Boomer is talking about you, because he was asked about you. Unless he lied, which it certainly seems that he didn’t, you have nothing to complain about. But the fact that you lost it over that, just proves you can’t handle a little criticism, which also supports you being coddled. Now, when somebody comes up with something bad about you that isn’t actually true, then you would have something to bitch about.

10. jimmyt says: Sep 24, 2013 12:04 PM

Cage match. I know who I’m betting on.

11. ravensfan8780 says: Sep 24, 2013 12:14 PM

Hey LT,

———————

Just because someone asks a question doesn’t mean it has to be answered. Me Personally I would never speak about someone else even if asked because I know I’m not perfect, and I’ve done things I regret he could have just said no comment or I’m not here to talk about that. Maybe it’s just me but I’m not a fan of grown men talking about other grown men.

12. kscogg says: Sep 24, 2013 12:15 PM

Yeah, see S.F. and Aldon Smith. Now after their complete dismantling at home vs Luck, Smith is going to rehab. So he didn’t need rehab before the game but now he does? Genius

Never liked Boomer, thought he was too soft and had no guts. LT, on the other hand, was the epitome of the NFL at the time. Yes, he broke the rules and in today’s world he would be crucified just like A-Rod but the game was better with him in it. Can’t say the same for A-Rod.

13. tavisteelersfan says: Sep 24, 2013 12:19 PM

As a Steelers fan, the early 80s were bleak times. I turned to watching certain players, and consequently their teams:
    Riggins and the Redskins
    Payton and the Bears
    Taylor and the Giants.
    Great Football … period.
    Funny, never tuned in Esiason and the Bungles.

14. arwiv says: Sep 24, 2013 12:34 PM

25 people obviously didn’t see LT actually play.

15. elliottcovert says: Sep 24, 2013 12:43 PM

It’s true that the more talented of a player you are, the more leeway you get. That truism always makes me think of what Jimmy Johnson said after cutting a marginal linebacker named John Roper who was caught sleeping in a team meeting: a reporter asked him what he would have done if it had been Troy Aikman sleeping and he said that he would have walked up to him subtly and whispered “Troy, wake up” in his ear.

Last year, someone asked him what he would have done if he had caught Adrian Peterson sleeping. He said he would have gotten him a blanket and a pillow.

16. securb2013 says: Sep 24, 2013 12:45 PM

Marino didn’t hear Deion’s question. He was busy writing out a check to his baby’s mama.

17. bradybbgoat says: Sep 24, 2013 12:45 PM

LT is lucky he didn’t play in the age of social media.

But he’s right about Esiason.

18. voiceofrealism says: Sep 24, 2013 12:46 PM

ravensfan8780 says:Sep 24, 2013 12:14 PM

Hey LT,

———————

————————————–
    You’re right. The choice was up to Boomer, and he chose to answer it. It wasn’t your choice, my choice or LT’s choice. So get over it.

19. hotlantalaw says: Sep 24, 2013 12:51 PM

Good for boomer

20. r8rsfan says: Sep 24, 2013 1:03 PM

Boomer Esiason = Skip Bayless.

21. chargerdillon says: Sep 24, 2013 1:12 PM

So I guess LT is the only football player who ever did drugs while playing right?

All of this I could care less about. The fact that he is now the loser that he has become from what he once was is sad and pathetic.

The last stint with the underage hooker should have put him in jail. That’s the real injustice going on.

So you’re telling me a billion dollar franchise knowingly coddled a common criminal to get the best use out of his skills and covered up his wrongdoings? I can name 31 other franchises who’ve done the same.

22. ftomasic1961 says: Sep 24, 2013 1:37 PM

pcp user, no wonder he was so ‘ferocious’….shouldnt be in the hall….ever.

23. nananatman says: Sep 24, 2013 1:41 PM

Well it isn’t like he murdered two people then got found guilty of obstruction of justice than played for ten years starting every game with a chicken dance.

Plus she didn’t tell him she was underage.

24. thegreatgabbert says: Sep 24, 2013 1:50 PM

How much better was Taylor because he was jacked up on roids and coke, though? Legitimate question.

25. topcide says: Sep 24, 2013 2:00 PM

LT sent Hookers to opposing players hotel rooms to keep them up all night before games so they would be tired. That has got to be the greatest sports story ever not involving Rickey Henderson.

26. giantssb42champs says: Sep 24, 2013 2:35 PM

I’d confide more in Sol Rosenberg than Sid Rosenberg.

27. kscogg says: Sep 24, 2013 2:41 PM

ftomasic1961 says:
    Sep 24, 2013 1:37 PM
    pcp user, no wonder he was so ‘ferocious’….shouldnt be in the hall….ever.

then how do you feel about any and all the players from the 50s and 60s? there was an outrageous amount of speed available in the early days and you can bet the players used. Mantle in 61 was gettin “injections” from a quack doctor laced with amphetamines. did anyone ever bother to ask him about it? he didn’t care as long as he could play. The NFL finally banned the use of amphetamines in 71, so let that set in for a minute.

I can only imagine a fair amount of the hall of famers from those days used speed, and while it wasn’t illegal it was a drug that helped them otherwise they wouldn’t have taken it.

28. rajbais says: Sep 24, 2013 5:11 PM

@giantssb42champs I know. Rosenberg still has a job???

Even after arrests and an inability to mask his phoniness???

No wonder why Boomer still has a job.

29. earpaniac says: Sep 24, 2013 5:46 PM

If you don’t like “grown men talking about other grown men” why are you replying on a football website? Not trying to start a feud, I just thought it was funny.

30. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 24, 2013 7:18 PM

Esiason is one of the reasons why I do not listen to Boomer and Carton. Carton is the other.

Boomer acts like he is a saint, and is still bitter since the Giants won the Super Bowl in 1990 and they couldn’t even beat the Raiders despite knocking out Bo Jackson.

Giants have a history of coddling talented players. They did the same for years with Tito Wooten, who came on board the year after LT retired. Nothing new here. If you have talent, they will make sure you play.

31. rajbais says: Sep 24, 2013 9:38 PM

@Mr. Wright 212 You’re right.

Also, was Boomer ever under restrictions?

He took pride in complaining about the training camp housings for players and the Bengals put new housing in once he demanded it.

No one should always try to make themselves come off as holier than thou.

If I’m wrong go look at Lance Armstrong.

32. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 25, 2013 1:32 PM

I’ve just never liked him, rajhais, he is the ultimate hypocrite. Always has been (if you knew of him locally in NY back in the day).

33. thelastwordyaheard says: Sep 26, 2013 10:33 AM