Ben Roethlisberger isn’t counting on Le’Veon Bell

Ben Roethlisberger, Le'Veon Bell AP

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that rookie running back Le’Veon Bell is on track to make his regular season debut in London against the Vikings this week, a return that some are looking to as a way for the Steelers running game in gear after three dismal weeks.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger isn’t so sure that Bell will provide that boost because he isn’t so sure that Bell is going to wind up playing this week. During an appearance on 93.7 The Fan, Roethlisberger said that Bell’s track record makes it hard to count on him because he doesn’t know whether or not Bell’s doing everything in his power to stay on the field.

“Honestly, I have no idea with him,” Roethlisberger said, via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “You can’t get a read on him. One day, he’s practicing, one day, he’s not; one day, he’s going hard, the next day, he’s not. I wish I could. If he was a guy like Heath Miller that you knew was busting his butt every day to get back there … Le’Veon is a rookie, I don’t know him quite well enough yet. But if he can come back and help us, we’ll take him.”

It reads as a harsh take on the rookie, but it also reads like an accurate one from the quarterback’ perspective. Bell remains an unknown quantity for the Steelers because they’ve seen so little of him since he joined the team in April and he will remain one until he can actually start showing his skills on the field on a weekly basis.

Once that happens, Roethlisberger and everyone else will have a better idea about whether or not Bell is part of the solution to their issues in the ground game.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
64 Responses to “Ben Roethlisberger isn’t counting on Le’Veon Bell”
  1. realitycheckbaby says: Sep 25, 2013 9:18 AM

Pot meet kettle

2. nflofficeadmin says: Sep 25, 2013 9:21 AM

Still pumping cheeks in the bar tho..

3. floratiotime says: Sep 25, 2013 9:23 AM

No one is counting on Ben anymore either.

4. sirhulka says: Sep 25, 2013 9:26 AM

Or, instead of questioning his ability to help the team, maybe you can focus on playing like a franchise quarterback instead of making matters worse for a struggling team. Those four turnovers kind of killed any chances to beat Chicago Sunday night. I’ll give him a bit of a pass because of the dismal offensive line play, but his play has pretty much sucked for three weeks.

5. heyguru1969 says: Sep 25, 2013 9:26 AM

Le’Veon, that bus you’re under is not Jerome Bettis. It’s just a bus.

6. Chase says: Sep 25, 2013 9:30 AM

This is no big deal. Allen Fanaca said the same thing about Ben when he first started out as a rookie in 2004. Once Ben played well and lead them to the playoffs, he earned the trust of his teammates. This is much ado about nothing.

7. Smarterthanyou says: Sep 25, 2013 9:32 AM

Cant count on Bell, but we can always count on stupid comments from the delusional, obnoxious Steeler fanbase

8. steelerben says: Sep 25, 2013 9:33 AM

Worst attempt at competitive advantage ever?

9. wilsonwillbreaku says: Sep 25, 2013 9:36 AM

Give him his binky and put him in the playpen with Crapernick.

10. dcapettini says: Sep 25, 2013 9:40 AM

Not a very auspicious beginning for the young man. Ben is looking for help and would ordinarily be inclined to the positive, so it sounds like Mr. Bell isn’t impressing anyone.

It is just like Steeler fans to get on Roethlisberger at this point. He is by far their best offensive player. Without him, they are nothing. They are spoiled by long term success and petulant when things don’t go their way. The guy almost won the Chicago game singlehandedly but they want more. Cut him and see how many teams put in a waiver claim, even with his big cap numbers.

11. whitdog23 says: Sep 25, 2013 9:41 AM

bell is just another example of today’s fine workforce. only do as much as needed to keep your job. let the other workers pull the load

12. ravensterps says: Sep 25, 2013 9:43 AM

How does it make things better to have your QB criticize your rookie RB’s work ethic in the media? Especially when that rookie is injured. Just doesn’t make sense to me.

13. sbchampsagain says: Sep 25, 2013 9:55 AM

Internal dissent.
    Not good in the burgh.

14. schmitty2 says: Sep 25, 2013 9:56 AM

Steeler fans better pray Ben has a degree in reverse pyschology.

15. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 25, 2013 9:57 AM

I think the QB just called out the rookie RB and questioned his commitment to helping the team. Interesting to see how Bell responds…

16. jimiinpa says: Sep 25, 2013 10:01 AM

LOL…just lol

17. patriots123456 says: Sep 25, 2013 10:01 AM

The Steelers look terrible this year… 0 – 3

But so do the Giants and Redskins… 0 – 3

And the Jets are 2 – 1…

Who in their right mind would have predicted that 2 months ago???

18. polamalusboyfriend says: Sep 25, 2013 10:06 AM

Maybe Bell can throw the ball (other than to defensive lineman); then he could really help this team.

19. troy43mvp says: Sep 25, 2013 10:07 AM

He is trying to light a fire under Bells Arse. Who knows if it will work ? Now if somebody could light a fire under the O line and Bens, maybe they won’t have 5 turnovers.

20. stoogy says: Sep 25, 2013 10:08 AM

Maybe they could of talk it over during the ping pong tournament in the loker room. Guess only the people made the list were able to join Bens Gossip group.

21. recall10 says: Sep 25, 2013 10:10 AM

Did he crash into a another motorcycle again ?

22. stew48 says: Sep 25, 2013 10:13 AM

With what Ben has contributed over the years, and with the beating he has taken in doing so, I think the nay-sayers should just shut their face. It may be a lot of the Steelers need to hear what Ben is saying. It is time for them to produce, and when they do, Ben will be there to lead the team to wins. A good question might be: O-line, if you can’t block better than you have to date, are you working any extra to improve? Another might be: Are you listening when your position coach is talking to you, or do you already know all the answers?

With the Steelers, EVERYTHING begins and ends with the O-line.

23. hgamatt says: Sep 25, 2013 10:22 AM

Can somebody remind me how many times Ben has played in a full, 16 game schedule? At least Bell’s is an injury and not from… other things. And coming back a month after a Lisfranc injury seems pretty impressive. Other players (MJD, Holmes) have had to miss large portions of the season to deal with these types of things.

24. burghman33 says: Sep 25, 2013 10:22 AM

Maybe when Ben actually doesn’t turn the ball over 4 or 5 times in a game, he can start criticizing others.Leveon can’t help a offense, if the QB is turning the ball over every other series.I don’t think he will help a pathetic defense that can’t get a sack or a turnover EVER. Worst Steeler team I’ve rooted for since the 80′s.

25. stoogy says: Sep 25, 2013 10:26 AM

stew48 BLAME the o-line all you want. Ben makes them look way worse then they are. Count in your head every time Super Ben drops back to pass if you get over 3 seconds he is holding the ball to long. Maybe Ben needs to look in the mirror and work on his technic and work ethic before he starts calling people out.

26. Joemontanaflacco says: Sep 25, 2013 10:27 AM

Bell isn’t practicing every day because he’s still injured. Obviously, Looney keeps bugging Tomlin to play him because he can’t stomach the idea that the Brits will be laughing at the fmr. ambassador to Ireland.

27. stabbymike says: Sep 25, 2013 10:38 AM

Really? This dud cannot be talking about another player how hes playing right now.

28. quittsburghstoolers says: Sep 25, 2013 11:02 AM

Big Bum ain’t the smartest guy around. His checkered past tells ya that well enough.

He needs to count on anyone else who could possibly help this team.

Of course, he won’t wanna do that cuz he wants to try & win games single-handed in order to stroke his own overinflated ego.

So just how dumb is he you maight ask?

He’s so dumb the only way he could count to “21″ is if he was naked!

29. etjla says: Sep 25, 2013 11:38 AM

Continuing in the tradition of the Steelers second round busts.

30. scandiman says: Sep 25, 2013 11:50 AM

Todd Haley…leading his offense by keeping them in the dark. No wonder the offense is so confused.

31. citizenstrange says: Sep 25, 2013 11:52 AM

Roethlisberger has already been Tebowed in the playoffs and so far this year has been Lockered, Daltoned and Cutlered. Is he about to get Pondered?

32. Nofoolnodrool says: Sep 25, 2013 11:59 AM

citizenstrange | Sep 25, 2013, 11:52 AM EDT

Help me out here Einstein ….is Ben playing all 22 offensive and defensive positions by himself? I must have missed that…big fella must be really tired huh? Question for you …have you been dumbed?

33. stoogy says: Sep 25, 2013 12:21 PM

Nofool buddy! Do you think it was right of Ben to call out his rookie team mate that is injuried like this to the local media? Do you commend him for tainting Bells name?

34. crownofthehelmet says: Sep 25, 2013 12:28 PM

Just the extra motivation this youngster needs to become a great back. Plus with the O-line starting to gel without Pouncey, they’ll create holes in the Vikings and Ravens D-lines big enough to drive a party bus through.

35. itsfootballbaby says: Sep 25, 2013 12:44 PM

Crown…. I don’t know what you’re smoking but the Steelers O Line hasn’t gelled in 3-4 years. Ben is the most hit QB on the planet. He’s a tough SOB and can take it, but really, call a spade a spade.

36. stoogy says: Sep 25, 2013 12:54 PM

Actually it is Rodgers who is the most hit QB, yet he still produces.

37. crownofthehelmet says: Sep 25, 2013 12:58 PM

itsfootball, I saw enough good things in the run-blocking Sunday night to be very optimistic. Ravens will seem like a jv team compared to a good Bears front 7.

38. holeinone09 says: Sep 25, 2013 1:04 PM

Nofool, I completely agree with your comment to citizen. I have raised the same point to him and bobz a number of times. Ben does not block for the RBs, nor catch passes, nor make tackles, nor cause opposing offenses to make turnovers. He has been sacked more that any QB over the years. He gets no time to throw the ball. I seriously doubt any other QB would have been as productive as he has been during his years with the Steelers, playing behind the weak OLs he has had to endure. He gets NO HELP from the running game, so defenses plan exclusively to stop him. The defense has NO TURNOVERS. That is a steep hill to climb week after week. Ben could certainly be playing better, but he isn’t the main OR ONLY reason they have not won. Anyone that doesn’t see that is blind.

39. bmoreballbuster says: Sep 25, 2013 1:11 PM

Nor is Ben counting on the O-line, D-backs, running game, and a “W”!

40. bobzilla1001 says: Sep 25, 2013 1:31 PM

holeinone:
    Why is it when the team wins, Roethlisberger is responsible for the win; but when the team loses, he didn’t get enough help?
    The Steelers’ O-line is “weak” because of its QB’s inability to read defenses and get rid of the ball in a timely manner. Peyton Manning, for example, gets rid of the ball in under 2 SECONDS.
    And the Steelers’ running game is horrific because the head coach decided to cut the team’s best RB prior to the start of the season. Stroke of genius!!!
    Finally, I refuse to give the offense and defense equal, 50/50 credit for the Steelers’ Super Bowls days; not when one unit (the defense) was ranked in the top 5, while the other unit (the offense) was ranked somewhere in the bottom third of the league.
    One last thing: Any QB who has thrown for over 30,000 yards yet has just 195 career TD passes, that QB, at best, is AVERAGE.
    Any other questions?

41. 1mommicked1 says: Sep 25, 2013 1:38 PM

another steelers running back that works when he wants (dwyer let go earlier for this reason). this is why so many comments rip the coach/coordinator. can they put a winning team on the field or not.

42. Joemontanaflacco says: Sep 25, 2013 1:40 PM

“Ben could certainly be playing better, but he isn’t the main OR ONLY reason they have not won”

I don’t know about that. Roethlisbooger’s fumble and pick six resulted in 14 points for Chicago which won by 17. So, I guess you could say he’s 82.3% of their problem.

43. Nofoolnodrool says: Sep 25, 2013 2:02 PM

Any other questions?

Are you still watching the steeler games by yourself? I’ll take your answer off the air.

44. Deb says: Sep 25, 2013 2:30 PM

Whose bright idea was it to give Roethlisberger a weekly radio show in the middle of a team meltdown? The guy has hoof-and-mouth disease during the best of times. No veteran who plays as badly as he’s played in the last few weeks should be calling out an injured rookie. The line isn’t to blame for all Ben’s missteps–neither is the poor running game. I’m not a big stats person … but they do tell a story.

45. koenig61 says: Sep 25, 2013 2:32 PM

I say we start up a petition to get bobzilla a job with the steelers. (Yes Sheldon that was sarcasm ) Reading his comments week after week, he seems to know all of the answers. Get rid of Ben get rid of Haley, get rid of tomlin. Why oh why have the Rooneys not sought you out sooner?!?!?

46. stoogy says: Sep 25, 2013 2:49 PM

Koenig61 You should just worry about getting the sunday ticket provided by direct tv so you can actually watch your beloved Super Ben!

47. steelcurtainn says: Sep 25, 2013 2:50 PM

@Koenig
    count me in. Oh, and please don’t state all your opinions about the steelers. He will go on and on and on with you about how he’s right about everything and why Big Ben deserved none of the credit during the steelers superbowl years. Don’t make the same mistake I did and continuously post back and forth with him. BTW, Don’t forget to cross your T’s and dot your I’s, grammars a big thing with him. I sure hope he doesn’t read and answer my post. Crossing my fingers!

48. realitycheckbaby says: Sep 25, 2013 2:53 PM

Deb says: Sep 25, 2013 2:30 PM

===========================

Enough with all you fair weather fans.

Ben is the only reason we’re not winless!

Quit jumping foundry and start pulling together.

Wave the towel!

49. crownofthehelmet says: Sep 25, 2013 3:05 PM

realitycheckbaby says:

Enough with all you fair weather fans.
    Ben is the only reason we’re not winless!
    ————————————————-
    I wish I was wrong, but we are winless.

50. koenig61 says: Sep 25, 2013 3:14 PM

@stoogy. I don’t need the Sunday ticket, I live in the burgh and while I’m not a steelers fan, I do cheer for them since I live here. Hines was always my favorite player, not Ben. And back in the day, I was a lambert, and jack ham fan. I’m just not one of those fans who gets a knee jerk reaction when the team loses. You and bobzilla accuse me of having blinders on when it comes to Ben. I’d call that thepot calling the kettle black, as both of you have blinders on him being awful.

51. Deb says: Sep 25, 2013 3:44 PM

@stoogy …

No, koenig61 is not a Steelers fan. He’s just the guy who’s on every Steelers thread slamming slamming actual Steelers fans who post knowledgeable analyses about their own team. bobzilla has been posting the same comments about Ben and the Steelers defense for at least five years. So he’s hardly a knee-jerker reacting to a few losses … which people would know if they’d been here longer than five minutes.

I’ve been posting about Ben’s lack of discipline for as long as I’ve been on these boards. The only difference between me and bob is that I’ve always believed in Ben’s innate ability and was convinced he’d become disciplined if forced to play within a structured system. I was wrong. It’s now time to move on with someone who will stop giving away the game. If the interlopers don’t share that opinion … I really don’t care.

52. bigbenownsthenfl says: Sep 25, 2013 3:54 PM

hahaha dumbest comment ive ever heard. get rid of the 3 time super bowl appearance QB and future 1st ballot hall of famer.. my god when the steelers lose all the ding dong fair weather fans make dumb statements! in Pittsburgh its either fire the coach, QB or goaltender! yinzers never surprise me with their dumbness!!!!

53. steelchampions says: Sep 25, 2013 3:54 PM

Bell hasn’t been around long enough to earn any other type of comment than what Ben gave. If Bell makes the running game a viable threat then you’ll hear more positive comments from the more experienced players.

The whole offense is out sinc right now and it’s not all on Ben. If the o-line ever learns how to run block we’ll probably see a more efficient passing game emerge and not have to watch the Steelers try to convert 3rd and Forever on every possesion.

I still say Haley’s the root cause, but the players on the field have to figure out their end of it too.

54. stoogy says: Sep 25, 2013 4:17 PM

@ Deb
    Yes I have followed Bobzilla and yourself for sometime now you are two of my favorite steeler fan. I am sorry that so many steeler fans from western pa give your fan base a bad reputation. Someone at work this week said multiply times with sincerity that the Rooneys should sell the team. It is a shame that so many fans jump ship and quit watching game after a few losses. My team has not had a winning season for 11 years yet I have not missed a game in the past 5 years. True fans can admit when the team has a problem and a weakness and not jump off the bandwagon. But I could of swore that Koenig lived out of the viewing area, must of been VaSteeler fan aka NoFool

55. koenig61 says: Sep 25, 2013 4:36 PM

@deb, I don’t want to make it sound like I’m correcting you, but…. If you go back and check my posts, bobzilla is the only steeler fan I’ve ever had anything negative to say about. And I will agree with you than bobzilla has been bashing Ben for years. I have no doubt bobzilla is a very knowledgable NFL fan, as well as a hue steeler fan. However I just get tired of his negative comments week after week. As for you deb, I’ve agreed with you on many many posts, and I was the one who told you the coaches made substitution and that’s why Ben couldn’t get to the line and run a play. At least with you, see both sides of the story where as bobzilla only sees the negative side. And to be quite honest with you I’m a bit offended that you labelled me Asa steeler fan basher. If there were a way for you to check posts, you would see I spend quite a bit of time defending th steelers and their fans. But for some reason bobzilla gets under my skin with his constant Ben bashing. He is constantly accusing me of not seeing bens faults. I think perhaps I’m just willing to accept Ben for what he is. Would it be great if Ben could read defenses like, Peyton, or have the accuracy of Rodgers, quick release of a Bree’s ? Sure, but that’s not who he is. Ben is Ben. Just like the bus was the bus, and Hines was Hines. I’m sure bobzilla is a great guy, and I will do my best to not say anything negative against him again, but I just know when I read the next steeler post on here, he will say something negative about Ben, tomlin, Haley etc. I really don’t like that you have painted me as a steeler basher. That is 100% incorrect. I can live with you saying I’m negative towards bobzilla, because I have been. I consider the steelers my team away from home, and I quite enjoy watching them. The only reason I say I’m not a steeler fan, is because that would make me a bandwagon fan.

56. Nofoolnodrool says: Sep 25, 2013 4:39 PM

stoogy | Sep 25, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
    @ Deb

Stoogy your vices are destroying what little gray matter you have to work with. I live in Va. And only changed my handle because as I tired of the fools and drool like you posting here. Koenig is perfectly free to voice his opinion here about the steelers whether he lives in Pa or Greece. His location is not important, but his willingness to set an Internet bully in his place has me rooting for him. The constant harping on Ben is getting old much like the raven troll with multiple handles. Lastly I have been a fan of the steelers for about forty years and will not let this trend stop me from supporting them after all I never gave up on my Red Sox…a real steeler fan.

57. bigbenownsthenfl says: Sep 25, 2013 4:48 PM

stoogy is a raiders fan who lives in Pittsburgh. he knows nothing. his raiders haven’t sniffed the playoffs. stick to posting how great pryor is and let the 2 time winning QB and 1st ballot hall of famer do his thing!

58. stoogy says: Sep 25, 2013 6:53 PM

I never posted anything on the lines of how great Pryor is. Yet though 3 games he does have a better QB rating, less turn overs, less points scored for the other team, but most importantly he does not have a goose egg in the win column. Trust me when I tell you this the steelers have a more talented roster a better o-line, and a much better defense. Ben still can not lead this team to a victory

59. Deb says: Sep 25, 2013 9:02 PM

@stoogy … thanks! Can’t believe anyone thinks the Rooneys should sell the team over a couple of losses. Are they aware the team didn’t win a single playoff game for its first 40 years??

60. Deb says: Sep 25, 2013 9:07 PM

@koenig61 …

Sorry if I’ve been unfair but since I’m criticizing the team, I assume your slams at fans criticizing the team include me.

My issue with Ben is that I’ve always believed he has the talent to do everything Brady and Manning do … if only he had their discipline and work ethic. But he seems to think too much prep will interfere with his mojo. I’m tired of waiting for him to wise up while his numbers keep dropping and his injuries keep rising. He’s just going to keep running around getting clobbered until he’s a shell of what he was and could have been.

61. koenig61 says: Sep 26, 2013 1:59 PM

@Deb, I agree with you that Ben theoretically could be better. It seems the year he was suspended, and works with a QB coach he played better. It’s unfortunate that Ben doesn’t have the discipline to learn to read defenses, because with the already athletic skills he has, he could be a much better QB. Perhaps my slamming bobzilla made it seem I was slamming all steeler fans who make a negative comment, however wha you do I don’t consider negative. You are analytical, and see both sides. I do understand bobzilla getting upset at the steeler fans who idolize Ben to the point they think Ben does nothing wrong. Unfortunately bobzilla has taken it upon himself to go overboard on bashing Ben in order to correct the Ben admirers. I think I’m probably doing the same thing lol. Because I went overboard criticizing bobzilla. It’s all good. I’ll be more careful of what I say about bobzilla. I understand his passion and his frustrations with all things steelers.

62. Deb says: Sep 26, 2013 2:48 PM

@koenig61 …

Thanks! I’ve argued with bob quite a bit myself :)

Yes, Ben’s game was elevated after working with the QB coach during his suspension, and that raised my hopes. But he just seems to have it in his head that too much tweaking will destroy his spontenaity. I’ve gotten into the habit of counting how many seconds the offensive line gives him in the pocket compared with how much time other quarterbacks get. As a rule, he gets as much time as any other QB to read and release. With his arm, mobility, and physical strength, if he’d been a better student of the game, there’s no limit to what he could have accomplished–especially with the defenses we’ve fielded.

63. bobzilla1001 says: Sep 27, 2013 1:36 PM

When I’m critical of the beloved, coddled quarterback, I EXPECT a backlash. Most of you believe that a “true” Steelers fan sees no evil and writes no evil. I get it.
    Thinking “outside the box” is never popular, so I don’t expect, nor do I seek, anyone’s approval.
    But what surprises me is the Roethlisberger admirers’ inability to defend him with any degree of facts or accuracy.
    I am equally amused by those who take my criticism of Roethlisberger personally. I’ve even had ultra-sensitive steelcurtainn in tears a time or two. And nofool for some reason believes he’s the host of a radio show. Strange.
    Roethlisberger couldn’t care less what I think of his overrated career. And he cares even less that most of you believe he’s Mr. Wonderful.
    A $100 million contract and the butt-kissing local sports media can cause anyone not to care.

64. southcarolinamike says: Sep 28, 2013 11:07 AM

Bobzilla Said: “Based purely on pay-grade, Roethlisberger is the team’s least valuable player: Four interceptions, three lost fumbles, one pick-6, one lost fumble returned for a TD…
    The Steelers’ defense has no turnovers because it has yet to play an offense as inept as the Steelers. Not all team’s give games away at the rate of the Steelers.”

Absolutely true on the first point. Ben has been horrible and not living up to his salary layout. He has done more harm than good this year. If the continues to be a liability to the degree he is, the Steelers need to consider replacing him.

Absolutely wrong on the second point. Only the Titans have not had a turnover all season. The Bengals gave the ball away 7 times in their two games not against the Steelers. The Bears gave the ball away 5 times in their two games not against the Steelers. The Steelers played two turnover prone teams and their defense couldn’t produce a single turnover. Not one. That’s a terrible defense playing an outdated scheme. Stop defending this terrible defense and their outdated defensive coordinator please. You make yourself sound as foolish as those who defend Ben no matter what.

BTW, KC is +9 in turnovers this season. There is a reason they are 3-0. They have force 9 turnovers and have given the ball away ZERO times.