Christian Ponder limited in practice with rib injury

Christian Ponder AP

The Vikings are already in London for Sunday’s game with the Steelers, which means that they’re further into their working day than those of us in the United States.

And that means that they have already determined that quarterback Christian Ponder is limited in practice because of a rib injury. Coach Leslie Frazier made the announcement on Wednesday and Ponder confirmed that he was injured early in last week’s loss to the Browns. Ponder was able to finish that game and threw the ball during the walkthrough portion of practice, but admitted that he’s worried about contact because of the injury and left open the possibility that Matt Cassel could be the Vikings’ man on the other side of the pond.

“If I can’t fulfill my duties, then Matt’s going to step in and play,” Ponder said, via Tom Pelissero of USA Today.

Ponder expects to play, but it’s obviously a situation to monitor over the rest of the week. If he can’t go, he’d have a bye week following the London trip to heal up fully although a winning start for Cassel in his stead probably wouldn’t do much to quiet those calling for a more permanent switch at quarterback with the Vikings.

Permalink 60 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
60 Responses to “Christian Ponder limited in practice with rib injury”
  1. asherallencanttackle says: Sep 25, 2013 7:29 AM

Ponder is awful but Cassel looked terrible in the preseason too. The O line is giving Ponder no time and the defense is atricious. The coaching is wretched. The team looks absolutely lost and could rival the 3-13 team from a few years ago. I’m still stunned over them losing at home to a bad Browns team. I find myself watching old Viking clips on YouTube on Sundays.

2. stoogy says: Sep 25, 2013 7:30 AM

whether it is P0nder or Cassel, they will be the bet QB’s London will see on Sunday!

3. shadowoflambeau311 says: Sep 25, 2013 7:38 AM

isn’t Ponder always “limited” during practice?

4. mnsadsportsfan says: Sep 25, 2013 7:44 AM

“limited” that is always the case no need to add “due to injury”.

5. 700iq says: Sep 25, 2013 7:48 AM

ha, coach Fraiser finally found his easy out. This really doesn’t suprise anybody does it?

6. thegonz13 says: Sep 25, 2013 7:50 AM

The headline should read “Christian Ponder limited in practice due lack of talent”…

…and I’m a lifelong Vikings fan!

7. tqaztec says: Sep 25, 2013 8:02 AM

Christian Ponder limited – not injury related.

8. dawgdaysofsummer says: Sep 25, 2013 8:08 AM

I guarantee he was hurt on his 2nd rushing touchdown. Barkevious Mingo put a pretty good hit on him.
    From the way the Vikings fans were booing Ponder…it sounded like they wanted Cassel in there instead anyways. Coming from a Browns fan..I dont know if you want to start going down that road Vikings fans. Quarterback roulette sucks..

9. hanklee1989 says: Sep 25, 2013 8:11 AM

If he had messed up ribs early on against Cleveland, he’s a tough SOB considering how much he ran around and took a lot of shots with no visible indication of pain. Whoever plays for us Sunday, I just want to see some competent QB play.

10. mn1288 says: Sep 25, 2013 8:11 AM

convenient. Now the O-line needs the flu.

11. hennessey1200hp says: Sep 25, 2013 8:12 AM

Hmmm, funny how no one heard of this injury till today. Frazier saving his job possibly or telling management he needs to move on from Ponder to anything else, cannot get much worse

12. spin5150bc says: Sep 25, 2013 8:15 AM

And here I was hoping TSA would deny him boarding the plane at MSP. This could be just as good…

13. fwippel says: Sep 25, 2013 8:17 AM

Oh good Lord. I’m sorry, but from what we’ve seen of Cassel the last year plus this past preseason, this is a step down. Not much of a fan of Ponder, but I don’t see Cassel doing anything better, especially with the play-calling of Bill Musgrave hanging over his head.

Maybe it’s time to let McLoud Bethel-Thompson get some reps.

14. ccjcsr says: Sep 25, 2013 8:20 AM

——————————————————
    Take a shot and get back in there.

Romo does it!

NFC East Champs

15. ridingwithnohandlebars says: Sep 25, 2013 8:29 AM

Suck it up!

16. strangelove74 says: Sep 25, 2013 8:29 AM

In a related story, Christian Ponder limited in games with lack of talent.

17. kwgator says: Sep 25, 2013 8:36 AM

TEBOW ….. TEBOW ….. TEBOW

18. vikingbill1 says: Sep 25, 2013 8:37 AM

and it begins…

19. dublindemonszfl says: Sep 25, 2013 8:46 AM

What’s the problem, no heart?

20. isphet71 says: Sep 25, 2013 8:48 AM

Ponder and Cassel? And you are 0-3? Shocking.

Too bad the Wylfs won’t be able to afford a better QB any time soon. I feel for Vikings fans.

21. chiadam says: Sep 25, 2013 9:07 AM

I would think Ponder would be used to being limited by now.

22. filthymcnasty1 says: Sep 25, 2013 9:08 AM

I’m sensing a much different vibe from Viking fans this year.

We told you so.

23. steelerben says: Sep 25, 2013 9:16 AM

hennessey1200hp says:
    Sep 25, 2013 8:12 AM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Did you watch any Kansas City games last year? Be careful what you wish for, Vikings fans, you might just get it.

Ponder might not be the cream of the crop, and to be honest he’s more like yogurt, but Matt Cassel is NOT the answer.

24. ma5terbla5t3r says: Sep 25, 2013 9:31 AM

I am still shaking my head in utter amazement that the Vikings still haven’t found a halfway decent starting QB.

25. ketchupaholic says: Sep 25, 2013 9:35 AM

Doesn’t matter. The Steelers are going to BLITZ, and that will be it. Frazier and crew has not been able to pick up Blitzes, Ponder can’t comprehend how to audible. As a Vikings fan, I see no way they win this game. Rothelisberger is a crafty vet, and if the Browns 3rd string QB can torch the Vikes, I can only imagine what “Big Ben” is going to do in London.

26. canadianvikingfaniii says: Sep 25, 2013 9:36 AM

dawgdaysofsummer says:
    Sep 25, 2013 8:08 AM
    —————————–
    The sad part is, we already know what QB roulette is like. The last one during the Childress era. Brad Johnson, Kelly Holcomb, Brooks Bollinger, Tarvaris Jackson, Tyler Thigpen, Gus Ferrotte, Sage Rosenfels, Brett Favre, I can’t even be sure if I am missing one or two, it was dreadful.

27. brianschielnc65 says: Sep 25, 2013 9:36 AM

Cassel or Ponder… the ship has left port. Just get me to the draft with a new coaching staff.

28. fargovikesfan says: Sep 25, 2013 9:41 AM

“If I can’t fulfill my duties then Matt is going to step in and play”. Well if that was the case then Ponder should’ve taken a seat during the Detroit game, and the Chicago game, and the Cleveland game…..

29. beckhruby says: Sep 25, 2013 9:44 AM

I look at the picture and I think of the Fonz….HEYYY!

30. jimothytinkler says: Sep 25, 2013 9:52 AM

We all know they’re not making the playoffs this year anyways. Perhaps they should treat this game like a training session, and split QB duties between Cassel and MBT. That would be more interesting than watching Ponder struggle with sore ribs. In a season like this, a fan has to still find some enjoyment in watching the games.

31. tokyosandblaster says: Sep 25, 2013 9:54 AM

Welcome, Josh Freeman.

32. filthymcnasty1 says: Sep 25, 2013 9:54 AM

Ponder sat out a playoff game with an arm bruise last year.

So a rib bruise might put him in a wheelchair.

33. jazsrt says: Sep 25, 2013 9:54 AM

I hear Freeman is going to be available….

34. elliottcovert says: Sep 25, 2013 9:56 AM

Bridgewater/Gruden in 2014!

35. iheartharvin says: Sep 25, 2013 10:00 AM

What a home of an organization. I’m officially done with the purple. Can’t handle this ineptness anymore. Embarrassing

36. toddc612 says: Sep 25, 2013 10:05 AM

Oh my, there *is* a God!

Still — pathetic that the organization needs to hide behind a “rib injury” when benching Ponder for lack of performance. Nice way to save face for Ponder’s ego whilst on an NFL promotional trip abroad. Why did Frazier not talk about this injury during his report on Monday? Something stinks in Siberia.

Not to say Cassel is the answer, but at least it’s fresh blood at the QB position. We’ll see if he can keep from failing in spectacular new ways like Ponder did.. or at least pick up a first down sometime in the 4th quarter — something Ponder could never do.

37. trannesotabiqueens says: Sep 25, 2013 10:10 AM

You guys remember in the off-preseason when all the Biqueens fans ran their mouth about Ponder ‘taking the next step” and AP rushing for 2500 yards this year? Jared Allen and “The Shariff” Floyd was going to dominate every oline? I guess when everyone was “trolling” saying the Biqueens were terrible, they were actually just speaking the truth.

38. purplehaze28 says: Sep 25, 2013 10:15 AM

When I die, I want the Vikings players to be my pallbearers, …so they can let me down ONE LAST TIME!!!

39. tokyosandblaster says: Sep 25, 2013 10:16 AM

You forgot probowler Kyle Rudolph taking a huge step becoming the best tight end in the NFL.

40. muskyhunter2542 says: Sep 25, 2013 10:25 AM

Its the Beginning of the end my Viking fan friends!!!

41. muskyhunter2542 says: Sep 25, 2013 10:26 AM

_____

I cant seem to remember where I heard that one before!?!?!?!

42. northstarnic says: Sep 25, 2013 10:32 AM

Please, let him rest his poor ribs! For the rest of the season.

43. kenshalek says: Sep 25, 2013 10:42 AM

Please leave Ponder, and the defense in the UK, Ok, throw in the Coaching staff as well. Most of those Morons wouldn’t be able to find their way home and Vikings can start over!!..

44. conormacleod says: Sep 25, 2013 10:49 AM

There is lots of piling on right now. But, nobody is actually taking an objective look at how Ponder has played the last two games. He has left each game with the lead, and the Vikings have lost while he was on the bench.

And each game it sure wasn’t the O-line or AP that kept them in the game. The defense, and the coaches, let this team down each of the last two weeks. Not to mention special teams. Ponder has played well enough for this team to be 2-1 right now. Is he in the top half of NFL QB’s? No. Is he the long term answer at QB? I honestly don’t know yet. But that doesn’t change the fact that the Vikings should be 2-1 right now.

45. conormacleod says: Sep 25, 2013 10:52 AM

I don’t know if benching Ponder would spark this team or not. Right now, the Vikings are losing close games in the last minute of the game. With Cassell at QB, the Vikings very well could lose by 21. Nobody knows for sure. The problems with the Vikings go much deeper than a simple solution of benching Ponder. Last I heard, you can’t “bench” all the coaches too. But, the bye week would be a good time to fire some of them. I’d start with the OC and go from there, because if you fire Frazier, then one of your incompetent assistants has to take over.

46. whatjusthapped says: Sep 25, 2013 10:54 AM

The biggest difference between Ponder and Cassel is that Ponder was a high 1st round draft pick. So the expectations when Cassel does play will finally match the play on the field.

Good thing the GM is smart in signing a high priced WR and wasting another first round pick on another WR. Its like adding high performance racing tires to your 1971 Ford Pinto.

47. longcutskolvikes says: Sep 25, 2013 10:57 AM

There’s a lot of football left this year. I’ve said this many times on this site this season, the Vikings have problems that extend far deeper than their starting QB. Christian’s rib injury concerns me a lot less than the three defensive backs that got hurt last week (not that they made much of an impact of the field this year anyways…)

48. gobacktocheeseland says: Sep 25, 2013 11:18 AM

Favre is on a plane to London. The pieces are in place.

I guess I’ll just watch soccer or something…

49. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Sep 25, 2013 11:27 AM

filthymcnasty1 says:Sep 25, 2013 9:08 AM

I’m sensing a much different vibe from Viking fans this year.

We told you so.
    ________

When are we going to get that different vibe from Packer fans? We’ve been telling you the Packers are overrated but you still act like you’re going to the Super Bowl. I guess Packer fans are a little slower than Viking fans.

50. jazsrt says: Sep 25, 2013 11:28 AM

Speaking as a Bears fan (although I think most of you know that by now):

I think the majority of the blame falls on the coaching staff.

I think back to the Lovie years vs. now-I am all but certain the team would be 0-3 (maybe 1-2) if he was still the head coach. The guy didn’t know how to manage an offense or make game time alterations to the plan. Pair that with a sub par play caller/OC-it leads you to what the Bears (and their fans) dealt with for the last 9+ seasons.

It is my opinion, that, with a coaching change, this team can be must stronger on offense.

Ponder is Ponder-but think back to ’06-the Bears made it to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman.

Rex Grossman.

51. 23rdusernameused says: Sep 25, 2013 11:32 AM

what is this game tagged as in London “the crap bowl” or the “toilet bowl”…. either would suffice!

52. stevent92 says: Sep 25, 2013 11:41 AM

I bet Londoners are chomping at the bit to watch a pair of 0-3 teams.

I love my Vikings, but something’s REALLY off. Not just QB, but OLine, DLine, Adrian, everyone.

I’ve watched plenty of football the last 25 years, and the only thing I can put my finger on is that the Preseason was TERRIBLE! We looked awful in our preseason warm-ups. It’s easy to just chalk it up the old saying “It’s preseason.” Unfortunately, our preseason performance has become our regular season (i.e. we’re not ready to play).

MN = New factory of sadness. Sorry Cleveland.

53. katientony says: Sep 25, 2013 12:15 PM

I am no Ponder fan. AT ALL. But Castle doesnt really impress me either. I dont think the switch will matter much at all, it may even be worse: Castle is not a mobile as Ponder and the O Line has been a leaky ship these past 3 games. And if Castle starts taking multiple sacks, it will be even worse… Maybe then we get to see McCloud Bethal Thompson! Let the MBT chants begin! MBT! MBT! MBT!

54. bowhunter8355 says: Sep 25, 2013 12:15 PM

Until you fix that offensive line (and I mean that in both contexts) no matter who who you put at QB wont stand a chance.

55. purpwalk says: Sep 25, 2013 12:17 PM

mbt has more upside and a rocket arm

56. lindacaseauthor says: Sep 25, 2013 12:40 PM

The Vikes have alot of talent on their team, but they don’t have an impact QB, and a team can’t win without a decent QB. Neither Ponder nor Cassel is that. If they lose this next game, I hope they get a high draft pick. I would love to see Manziel or McCarren in the NFC North. In the meantime, play MBT. Give it a shot. They have nothing to lose. Both Ponder and Frasier plus gang have lost their jobs next yr anyway.

57. vikescry1 says: Sep 25, 2013 1:50 PM

@the magician the difference is packer fans have a high expectation than the viking fans. And in case u missed it we r 1and 2 our pour offensive line has helped produce two straight 100 yard rushers, neither started??? And we still have a damn good qb, with that said yes we expect championships. And until we r out we believe we r in. See 2010…

58. immafubared says: Sep 25, 2013 1:59 PM

Very cleaver. Ponder is smart and figured out even before me that his head will be on the platter if the Vikes go 04.

A supposed injury to ones ribs would be an excellent excuse to not have to play against the pass rush of the Steelers. Besides whose to say his ribs don’t hurt. I have a thumb that hurts and you can’t say it doesn’t if you get my drift.

I got a hundred that says he doesn’t play.

59. deltaoracle says: Sep 25, 2013 4:02 PM

The “Let me down one more time” line was, ironically, in the last will of a Browns fan.

60. donth8thehorns says: Sep 25, 2013 10:20 PM

I do not want Mccaron or Manzeil…
    We want Teddy #1 , Carr #2, maybe even Carr #1… He is really good