Justin Tuck tells Giants faithful: Don’t be fair-weather fans

Justin+Tuck+New+York+Giants+v+Dallas+Cowboys+q8Cw661BtDUl Getty Images

Giants defensive end Justin Tuck is telling fans that they shouldn’t turn their backs on the team despite its 0-3 start.

Tuck told the Star-Ledger that fans should stick with the team while they try to turn it around.

Don’t be a fair-weather fan,” he said. “It’s about being a fan in the good and the bad. I trust that we’re going to try our best to figure this thing out. It won’t be because of lack of effort or lack of searching.

Defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul said these are the times when the Giants learn who their real fans are.

“If they gave up they ain’t real Giants fans. At the end of the day, we’ll never give up on ourselves,” Pierre-Paul said.

But even real fans have only so much they can take, and the Giants are testing their fans’ patience. If the Giants lose in Kansas City on Sunday to drop to 0-4, they should expect to hear plenty of boos from their fans when they return home in Week Five.

Permalink 63 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
63 Responses to “Justin Tuck tells Giants faithful: Don’t be fair-weather fans”
  1. thebigcaptain2011 says: Sep 26, 2013 3:51 PM

Tuck, you’re right, we shouldn’t be fair weather fans. I know I’m not. I still root for you despite the fact that you’ve produced next to nothing in the last three seasons. Stop worrying about the fans and start worrying about stopping the run.

2. stevenwilliams2013 says: Sep 26, 2013 3:52 PM

I am real fan!!! I am rooting for 0-16 :)

3. polegojim says: Sep 26, 2013 3:53 PM

It would be easier for Giants fans if it didn’t appear that Justin Tuck…and others haven’t given up.

Only one or two on that D line who appear to be showing up WHILE they ‘figure this thing out’.

Stop calling out Giants fans and get with it.

4. tyler4richardson says: Sep 26, 2013 3:53 PM

Well then, start showing up and not be a “fairweather” team.

5. rahavort says: Sep 26, 2013 3:54 PM

No more Subway commercials Justin?

6. tcostant says: Sep 26, 2013 3:55 PM

Us real fans feel it in our gut when someone misses a tackle. We care but he want you do better not just try harder.

7. moerawn says: Sep 26, 2013 3:56 PM

I think at 38-0, somebody gave up all right.

8. donmcg2012 says: Sep 26, 2013 3:56 PM

Real fans do give up, ask Browns fans. Hey Tuck you aren’t the one paying high dollars to go to a game and watch a pathetic product now are you? You wouldn’t know what saving money for food, childcare, prescriptions and everyday expenses are like would you?

Of course you wouldn’t, you get paid very generously to be part of that pathetic product. Best be careful telling fans who are real and who aren’t, HHGregg has a much better setup they can deliver to experience the nfl every week.

9. demolition510 says: Sep 26, 2013 3:56 PM

True dat

10. wearethesteelers says: Sep 26, 2013 3:57 PM

LOL

11. tannethrill says: Sep 26, 2013 3:57 PM

Unintelligent

12. khamsinvera says: Sep 26, 2013 3:57 PM

Every team goes thru it’s up and downs – only rats and transplants jump off the ship. I’m gonna bleed blue till I die.

13. 302baller says: Sep 26, 2013 4:00 PM

Giants will beat the Chiefs….Giants always start slow. Tuck needs to shut his mouth. Fans pay his salary.

14. azarkhan says: Sep 26, 2013 4:01 PM

It seems like only yesterday that arrogant Giants fans thought they would be winning a Super Bowl every year. Life is fair.

15. mdpickles says: Sep 26, 2013 4:02 PM

Fandom is no fun anymore. If your team stinks and you don’t criticize them, you are considered a Kool-Aid drinker. When they win, the fair weather fans act like they’ve always been there rooting for the team even when they were bad.

16. jetny says: Sep 26, 2013 4:03 PM

circus never left town…just moved a few blocks away….Eli is just a butt fumble away from being the next Sanchez

17. wcdunkenfield says: Sep 26, 2013 4:04 PM

As an Eagle fan that lived in NY for a long time, I respect and generally like the Giants, except when they play my boys.

In this case, I agree with Mr. Tuck. Stay behind the G-men all you NY Football Giant fans. Root them on to beat Mr. Andy’s Chiefs.

Chiefs at 4-0 is hard to comprehend. Too bad Andy never had a competent QB while at Philadelphia.

Oh wait. There was that whole period where some Orangeman did some good things. Right?

18. champgiff says: Sep 26, 2013 4:05 PM

It’s a little odd as a fan to feel like you’re being told what kind of fan to be by the players, but I can’t say I disagree. As a Broncos fan since I knew what a football was, it gets a little irritating when the slim times came around and the people you knew as “fans” are nowhere to be found.

19. nygf says: Sep 26, 2013 4:06 PM

I agree to an extent. This start, and the season it’s turning into, really magnifies how spoiled Giants fans have been recently. No losing seasons in nearly a decade. Multiple division titles and playoff appearances. Multiple Super Bowls. Kinda puts all the complaining we did over those years into perspective now, no?

That said, it appears time for an overhaul. The past is the past. It was going to come eventually. Even the Pack suffered some bad seasons towards the end of Favre’s career and at the beginning of Rodgers’. And Tuck, as great as he’s been for a number of years and in both Super Bowls, has been something of a fair weather player himself. He’s admitted to getting discouraged and letting his attitude affect his play.

So, as a Giants fan who pays to go to a game a year, I can voice my disappointment with this year’s squad while not completely dismissing recent success. I can also see some tough goodbyes are in line for celebrated vets (Tuck, Snee, Webster, Diehl), infusions of talent are needed at multiple positions (anywhere on defense, the OL, RB) and an altered coaching staff in the near future.

Sorry, Justin. I can only go off what I see on the field. And me switching off the Giants game with 8 minutes left in favor of Redzone last Sunday has nothing to do with my fandom, and a lot to do with my desire to watch competitive football, which I had not been watching in the Giants-Panthers game.

20. jjrs89 says: Sep 26, 2013 4:08 PM

He has a point. As titan/oiler fan since birth, I have yet to see a title in 30 years and this team has given their fans 2 in the last 5 years.

21. fatcamper says: Sep 26, 2013 4:08 PM

I despise the Giants, but I’ll give their fans credit of being loyal and obnoxious even when they stink.

22. 950003cups says: Sep 26, 2013 4:11 PM

A major smack down on Sunday by the G-Men will is all the chirping we need to hear. They have the talent. Now it’s time to get back to winning. If it just turns out that they swapped the December woes for September then all is good and playoffs are on the horizon!

Tuck and JPP with a sack and half each in the 1st Q! That’ll start the engines!

23. natigator says: Sep 26, 2013 4:19 PM

The arrogance of athletes. They will show us zero loyalty when they bounce from team to team for bigger paydays.

They run their mouths up and down the media, many of them show fans zero respect by refusing to sign autographs or acting like jerks to us, BUT DONT YOU DARE NOT ROOT FOR US IF WE STINK!!!

24. sgtr0c says: Sep 26, 2013 4:20 PM

Tuck, sit down and be quiet. When a customer is yelling at you, it means they are still communicating with you. Last I heard the Giant’s still have a season ticket waiting list. They are doing their job, you are not doing your’s.

25. packinggreens says: Sep 26, 2013 4:34 PM

with the yankees out of the playoffs, they have nothing else going for them… Giant fans clearly are not going to jump wagon and be a Jets fan. Despite being a New York native, I love how all New York sports suck at this moment. Giants, Jets, Bills…Yankees, (Mets? i don’t know i hate baseball).

26. stlluna7 says: Sep 26, 2013 4:34 PM

The problem and I have alluded to this many times is that the media likes to foment controversy. So, while some fans are getting restless, most of this is media-driven.

When you have shows like Jim Rome’s, you get a bunch of adults acting like adolescents and talking ‘smack’. Get me?

But while I do have some misgivings about what Tuck said, I know that he is feeling the heat from the press as well as the fans themselves.

27. newjerseygiants says: Sep 26, 2013 4:38 PM

Justin-HeadCase should keep his mouth shut and let his play on the field do the talking.

28. nygiantstones says: Sep 26, 2013 4:39 PM

Meh…two superbowls in recent times…I wouldn’t mind having a high draft pick for a change. Tank the season. What would be pointless would be going 8-8, missing the playoffs, and getting another crappy draft pick and taking some talent that dropped from their original top ten predraft ranking.

29. 23rdusernameused says: Sep 26, 2013 4:42 PM

OK, fair weather player!!

30. aljack88 says: Sep 26, 2013 4:42 PM

Tuck was there in 2007 when the fans and media were screaming for Coughlin’s head to fall even before the end of September. Not saying they will turn it around this year like they did then, but it is possible.

31. papichulo55 says: Sep 26, 2013 4:43 PM

Yo, your own coach said you got out-muscled. That means you played soft. So, Justin, whats that got to do with me? I am down with the GMen, but 38-0, and no UnSportsmanlikes? Damn, if you cant win the Game atleast win the Fight!

32. viguy007 says: Sep 26, 2013 4:51 PM

Justin Tuck, you want to see some real fans, come to the stadium on a Sunday when you are not playing there. Listen to the chants of J-E-T-S Jets! Jets! Jets!, no matter the teams record, or what the media is saying about a circus. Those are real fans.

33. queeflatifah says: Sep 26, 2013 4:54 PM

You can thank high priced PSL’s for that kid……..the real fans can’t afford to come anymore

34. moggsquad says: Sep 26, 2013 4:58 PM

Hard to take that advice from any player in the free agency era.

35. alonestartexan says: Sep 26, 2013 5:09 PM

They care about the fans when they’re losing, any other time, who cares what the fans think?

36. myeaglescantwin says: Sep 26, 2013 5:11 PM

BUT THAT’S ALL YOU HAVE

37. warhammer420 says: Sep 26, 2013 5:12 PM

Too many 5 dollar foot longs slowing ya down, bro.

38. mjzaky says: Sep 26, 2013 5:13 PM

Fairweather fans are immoral. I have no respect for them.

39. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: Sep 26, 2013 5:14 PM

What a circus!

Just shut up and play!

40. nananatman says: Sep 26, 2013 5:22 PM

Field an effort then.

41. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: Sep 26, 2013 5:25 PM

I just bought a carton of milk and it had JPP’s face on it…

HAVE YOU SEEN THIS MAN ?

42. jpherling says: Sep 26, 2013 5:31 PM

Don’t worry, Justin. We’re True Blue. Maybe we’re in despair and convinced that you guys aren’t going to win a game all year, but we still say “Wait ’til next year!”.

43. bitw44 says: Sep 26, 2013 5:37 PM

Ill come to root for you every week, but if you go down 31-0 dont expect fans to be happy. This team has never been able to handle criticism well, they are always quick to use their fans as spiteful motivation rather than support.

44. bookofelisha10 says: Sep 26, 2013 5:38 PM

fairweather fans? i think hes mistaking honest NY fans opinions and reactions for being a fairweather fan some how

just bec we boo the entire teams lack of enthusiam, heart and play doesnt mean were changing teams..

it means we can tell for the last 3 years tuck doesnt want to play anymore bec he doesnt even try. it means we can tell the whole team doesnt look like they want to be there and its only been 3 weeks.

we spend hundreds on tickets and a bunch for food..if we pay that then see what we seen on sunday vs caronlina we have every single right to boo..esp a 2x sb champ who plays like a rookie (eli and tuck)

45. bigbluefan1 says: Sep 26, 2013 5:58 PM

As a life time fan I have not nor will I ever turn on my team. I still think a game at home in Feb can happen and that it can be Manning Bowl 4 and Eli wins that one.
    But the players have to understand that it is the fans not the players that make the game

If two teams show up and no one is in the stands and no one is watching TV its just a bunch of over grown kids playing a game. With out the big pay check.
    So far this year the Giants D has made teams look great
    If they do not win this week I will be at the game next week and I will cheer if the team gives me a reason or I will boo if that is what is earned.

That is not up to me that is up to the high priced talent in the blue jersey’s

46. mslegndary says: Sep 26, 2013 6:14 PM

Hey Justin I have an idea. Fans won’t be fair weather fans when players stop being fair weather players. Stop messing around and play to your potential .

47. bigbluenationdb says: Sep 26, 2013 6:24 PM

This season falls on the front office and Reese. We have done nothing to address our linebackers. Ever since Pierce and Mitchell we have had nothing but garbage at the position. We keep signing guys that were cast off or bust on other teams thinking it will work.

Our oline got old and we haven’t addressed it in the draft or free agency. I think Pugh will be solid but we have nothing else.

Out of the last three draft (20 picks) we have only three guys playing and significant time. Pugh, Prince and Williams (LB).

Going to be a rough couple years but I still got love for you Big Blue!!!!

48. kev86 says: Sep 26, 2013 6:45 PM

I’m mad and embarrassed by how the Giants have played so far this year. I’ve been getting ripped on by co-workers and friends all week.

Talk is cheap as Coach Coughlin likes to say.

Grateful to be a Giants fan for multiple reasons and desperately rooting for a W on Sunday.

Less talk and more W’s would be great!!!!

Eli is the Mann!! Go Blue!!!

49. bert1913 says: Sep 26, 2013 6:45 PM

do as i say, not do as i do

50. Angry Orange Man says: Sep 26, 2013 7:02 PM

JPP and Justin Tuck, why don’t you two shut your mouth and give us fans something to cheer about?

Fair weather fans don’t care when the team sucks, they just fade into the shadows. Fans that care get mad (unlike you guys) when their team performs like my Freshman football team back in the day.

In closing, shape up and get to the QB before an enraged orange man storms the gate at Giants Stadium and takes your god damn jobs!

51. edithpiaf51 says: Sep 26, 2013 7:14 PM

etny says: Sep 26, 2013 4:03 PM

How could you insult Eli like that? football is a team sport and you can throw all the balls you want but if Cruz, Nicks, Wilson, and Scott dont catch and fumble there is nothing u can do about it. Eli cannot control the world, he is not God. I want to ask you something, if your co-workers mess up is that your fault? I think not. Leave Eli alone!
    Yes I bleed blue (giants) and orange (broncos) and always will, win or lose and have for over 40 years in France and in US.

52. justintuckrule says: Sep 26, 2013 7:26 PM

The Chiefs were the absolute worst team in the year last year and now they’re QB-ed by Alex Smith. Ok, they’re 3-0 (beating Dallas and Phi…whoops) but this team is not the second coming of Len Dawson’s SB team.

Season starts Sunday. Lets go already.

53. fpstratton says: Sep 26, 2013 7:27 PM

I’m not a Giants fan, per se, but I think, given the team’s phenomenal success over the last decade, that the faithful should stick with them during this obvious dry spell. They can still turn things around. I’m so sick of the mindless allusion to statistics saying that no team that goes 0-2 or 0-3 can make the playoffs or win a Super Bowl. That’s garbage. It all depends on what the other teams do as well. What is most concerning to me about the Giants is that Eli Manning just isn’t playing very well. Until that changes, even should they improve on defense and offensive line play, New York will continue to struggle.

54. edithpiaf51 says: Sep 26, 2013 7:51 PM

fpstratton said

I do not mean to be rude, but why do you put the entire blame on Eli? Eli is not being protected (7 sacks last game), his WR like Cruz, Nicks, etc are not catching, wilson fumbles, that is not Eli’s fault. I really think the interception rule needs to be changed. I am a social scientist, quantitative analyst and professor and statistcs have to be valid and reliable with a revelance of the standard deviation. If a QB throws a ball and his WR does not catch it and someone from another team bloques and catches, the QB gets the interception. that is plain unfair. there should be a separate statistic used for these situations. Any QB would agree, not just Eli.

55. paulsmith107 says: Sep 26, 2013 7:52 PM

Giants suck. IN REESE WE TRUST. Bahahahahaha

56. TheWizard says: Sep 26, 2013 8:20 PM

Tough sledding to beat an improved Chiefs team in Arrowhead.

57. darensims says: Sep 26, 2013 9:14 PM

I Bleed Blue, Win or Loss forever a Giants Fan. Go Big Blue !!!

58. boyshole25 says: Sep 26, 2013 10:23 PM

Mara should have thought twice about angering the football gods stealing money from the skins and cowboys

59. lt1976 says: Sep 26, 2013 10:33 PM

Let´s make a deal, Justin:

I promise you to cheer, if you promise me, that I get to see a couple of points by the Giants this time.

60. nygnjd says: Sep 26, 2013 11:32 PM

Hey, I lived through the Ray Handley years. I’m just in no hurry to relive them.

61. greatestgamensports says: Sep 27, 2013 4:26 AM

Shut the hell up, you suck your QB is stinking up the place, your defense is nowhere to be found and the “FANS” are the ones paying your (over paid) paycheck! But having said that and being a life long COWBOY fan, I truly am loving the melt down your team is having and hope it continues!

62. caseyinkc says: Sep 27, 2013 11:45 AM

Chiefs win in the battle of bad offenses 17-14. It will be close, but I don’t see the Giants turning around in a sold out Arrowhead Stadium.

63. nygrwy says: Sep 28, 2013 5:39 PM

I would never turn my back on this team. You cannot win every year in football. I had low expectations this year so its not as frustrating. Fantasy football is epsecially good when your team is struggling

The years we won the super bowl is a ride that one is only lucky to be apart of. Thinking your team is completely out of it only to put a hurting on the rest of the NFL and finish in the promise land.

I love Tuck and hope he retires a Giant but age seems to have made him a role player rather then a game changer but that happens in sports!!!