Kaepernick knows the Niners have to get Gore the ball

Gore Getty Images

49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick now realizes that, if the game plan is to have him carry the offense, they need a better one.

The better plan on Thursday night (and every night, and part of every day) was to give the ball to Frank Gore, who gashed the Rams defense for 153 yards on only 20 carries, an average of 7.65 yards per attempt.

Even the short-on-words Kaepernick acknowledged twice during his post-game press conference the importance of relying on Gore.

“We knew we had to get him his touches,” Kaepernick said.  “He’s a Hall of Fame running back.  You have to get him the ball.”

Kaepernick came back around to the point later in his remarks.

“We have to get Frank the ball,” Kaepernick said.  “We have to let him get downhill, let him get his touches.  He’s the leading rusher for us all time for a reason.”

Gore’s effort included runs of 18, 27, 17, 34, and 13 yards.  The 34-yard jaunt came on fourth and inches late in the first half, giving the 49ers a 14-3 lead that felt insurmountable, and was.

At age 30 (which for running backs is the new 60), Gore should be slowing down.  He’s not.  And the 49ers need to ride him throughout 2013 — and hope Marcus Lattimore is ready to go whenever Gore no longer can.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
65 Responses to “Kaepernick knows the Niners have to get Gore the ball”
  1. ufanforreal says: Sep 27, 2013 8:22 AM

“Kaepernick knows the Niners have to get Gore the ball”……..you think?

2. ttommytom says: Sep 27, 2013 8:23 AM

Gore has been the most underrated player of his generation. He truly is a great player…

3. hardythekraken says: Sep 27, 2013 8:23 AM

Kaepernick is just now realizing that running backs are vital in any NFL offense? did someone on twitter tell him that, too?

4. pencilmonkeymagic says: Sep 27, 2013 8:36 AM

Translation: Boy wonder couldn’t cope with passing game responsibility after two weeks and ten total points.

5. Smarterthanyou says: Sep 27, 2013 9:04 AM

6 reasons the FortyWHiners will not return to the Super Bowl for at least a decade.

1. Last season was a fluke.
    2. They kept an overrated, tattooed freak instead of Alex Smith.
    3. Their defense is overrated.
    4. Pete Carroll is smarter than Whinebaugh.
    5. Seattle is a much more superior team.
    6. Russell Wilson is a much more superior QB

6. scmems07 says: Sep 27, 2013 9:09 AM

I truly believe my Jr high football team had a more complex offense that the niners just ran, do you really have to babysit your qb that much brother Jim? And kaep still looked shaky running it, laurenites dropped two int’s. Now Colin can go back to staring at his Twitter page and taking selfies all week. and the “experts” said that this division would be the best in the league…..riiiight

7. baxman89 says: Sep 27, 2013 9:12 AM

Translation: I’m not as good as I thought I was.

8. 49faithful says: Sep 27, 2013 9:18 AM

Gore for more aka frank the tank!!
    Slash and Gore them!!

9. ott2win says: Sep 27, 2013 9:37 AM

I hate the 49ers…but everything said here is absolutely true…I actually appreciate Gore and his style of play…hes a good kid!

10. 4949centennial says: Sep 27, 2013 9:46 AM

He stats are low because they didn’t seem to try to even throw once in 4th quarter. They just kept on running on 3rd downs and punting knowing Rams O sucks.

I would take 100 yards passing and a win every week until we get Crabtree and Manningham back

11. mythaimyke says: Sep 27, 2013 10:15 AM

They need a better QB! If the rams score all the points they should have in quarter one, YOU LOSE! You can’t handle pressure! Bye, Bye fly by night!!! Enjoy the spot light while you can, the end is near!!!!!!!

12. southernplayalisticadillacmuzik says: Sep 27, 2013 10:17 AM

Gore’s a stud…. Hall of Famer…. ehhhhh that’s a bit of a stretch. Keep feed’em though. He’s the engine

13. dirk504 says: Sep 27, 2013 10:24 AM

Seahag fans say the 9ers only beat the Rams. It didn’t stop them from bragging about beating the powerhouse Panthers and Jaguars…

14. gosfvr says: Sep 27, 2013 10:39 AM

I am niner fan, but it just seems like they adjust a little bit slower than other teams, or maybe its my impatience and wanting to see the team be at their best at all times.
    After watching Lemonier play, I wonder why wasnt he rotated more the first three weeks. That has to be on the coaches. Let the young guys play!

15. ken49ers says: Sep 27, 2013 10:47 AM

Haters! Haters everywhere!

16. donttrip22 says: Sep 27, 2013 10:47 AM

that’s what Kaeperstink does the best hand the ball off

17. wilsonwillbreaku says: Sep 27, 2013 10:48 AM

“Meanwhile, Kaepernick threw for a mere 167 yards, his third straight game under 200.”

Pat yourselves on the back all you want, but Gore was breaking down at the end of last season because he’s getting OLD. He’s healthy now, but that will not last. He had a great game and kudos to him for it, but if Kap can’t return to form you guys aren’t going anywhere.

18. hawkhater3825 says: Sep 27, 2013 10:50 AM

Way to go NINERS….great job Kap…We needed a W…

19. mmsierra says: Sep 27, 2013 10:58 AM

Smarterthanyou says:
    Sep 27, 2013 9:04 AM
    ———————————————–

Sorry, SmartyBoots
    I FEEL YOUR FEAR !!
    I FEEL IT
    We’re coming for you !!
    Watch out, Seahawks !!

20. exhelodrvr says: Sep 27, 2013 11:07 AM

This isn’t a Kaepernick issue – this is a game plan issue. Blame Roman and Harbaugh.

21. beefer49 says: Sep 27, 2013 11:20 AM

The one thing that I think makes the win over the rams more significant than beating the lambs is we did it without Willis. He’s our leader on D.
    Our d has looked soft and penalties are killing us, but last night we looked better. Yes it was the rams but a W is a W.

The thing that irks me is if the Seahawks are the Crown of the NFC west …(which I will give them at this point in the season), Why are most of the Seahawks fans still looking down and so concerned with us if they are superior in every way. All I will say is learn to act like fans with a little moxie not just the 49ers are done overated blah blah. The rivalry is great but I think that true football fans know that the top to bottom is a slippery slope and winning two games or three games back to back means squat. That is why the faithful come back. We are on the quest for 6 and it is a long road.
    Enjoy your ride Seahawks fans, your team is good and handed us our shorts so far this season. It is a long season but one thing you can learn is act like a champ, I know you’ve never been there but stop with low-brow fan antics, some of you on here are just annoying and the rest of the Seahawks fans should be embarrassed by your actions

22. lamptonsbarbershop says: Sep 27, 2013 11:22 AM

I live in the NW (since November 4 1995) and for any shehawk fan to call anyone a bandwagon fan is complete nonsense. I have never seen a fan base jump on a train so hard and fast your games were blacked out and huskies purple covered the state except in Pullman. U never heard a hawk fan so much as utter a sentence about the team because they didn’t exist!!!!! I was a die hard 9er fan then an still am today hawks finally have a good team any one can see they’re great. But the fan’s don’t know how to handle it signs of true bandwagon fans. Hawks great, fans not so much. I know one do hard hawk fan and was there when u sucked rocked a Rick Myer jersey with pride he the exception.

23. theysone says: Sep 27, 2013 11:30 AM

donttrip22 says:
    Sep 27, 2013 10:47 AM
    that’s what Kaeperstink does the best hand the ball off
    ______________________________________

He doesn’t do that well either, he fumbled one deep in the 49ers end of the field, gifting the Rams a TD.

24. paastahtroy says: Sep 27, 2013 11:33 AM

Yah! Run Gore! Run him a lot 40 carries a game… Tire him out for the playoffs… Win as many games as you want…but the Seahawks are gunna beat you twice, maybe even three times this year! The rest of the games you can have.

25. meshnuts says: Sep 27, 2013 11:49 AM

After watching last nights game the Rams offense looked like the NYJ offense from previous years! Brian Shottenheimer’s offense absolutely stinks!

26. trollaikman8 says: Sep 27, 2013 11:54 AM

My fantasy team agrees.

27. pmars64 says: Sep 27, 2013 11:55 AM

As for the Niners win, ho-hum. They still don’t have any talent at WR and Gore won’t be running at the end of the season like he did last night. Niners are over-rated, have had their share of busts last couple of years, and are paying the price now. Their D is over-rated as, before last night against the putrid Rams running game, they had one of the worst rush defenses in the NFL heading into that game. Good luck with that!

28. eastcoastniner says: Sep 27, 2013 12:06 PM

This is all on the coaches. They call the plays and if something is not working, they need to adjust. I think the coaches got humbled a bit here in this 2-loss streak. Which is probably a good thing.

29. deathonwings410 says: Sep 27, 2013 12:17 PM

They need to rely on their Running game until their WRsget healthy. Nothing wrong with that.

30. drehmsme says: Sep 27, 2013 12:19 PM

pmars64 What have the Seahawks accomplished lately? Who won the last two division titles? I mean seriously what have you got to brag about? Beating the Niners twice in your really loud stadium? That’s IT. NOTHING ELSE.. Do you realize how foolish you fools look?

31. pmars64 says: Sep 27, 2013 1:02 PM

@drehmsme
    If you read my post, I make no claims about Seahawks superiority. Of course, their history is mostly lousy. I’m just defending their fans because I know that, years ago, their were A LOT of bandwagon 49er fans when Walsh turned the franchise around.

And I don’t think the Niners are all that good. Please, they got hammered at home after being humiliated on national TV the week before. If ever a championship caliber team is going to show up, it’s after getting beat down in front of the nation and…they…didn’t…do…it. Why? Because they couldn’t! And when the game was on the line in the 4th, the Colts ran down their throats. Ouch! That’s NOT championship caliber football. Sorry.

Maybe the Niners will improve during the season. Teams do it all the time. But, right now, they don’t look like they’re even close to getting back to the big game.

32. unclepino says: Sep 27, 2013 1:21 PM

Crabtree and Manningham will help with the passing game. During the first three games I was more concerned with the play of the line on both sides of the ball. Neither side looked as dominant or physical as years past. Looks like that improved last night and I hope that trend continues. In order to win games over the season and into the playoffs, and to run and pass effectively you need strong line play and good field position and that only comes form the O & D lines playing well.
    It will come around. Those losses might be the motivation they need to get it going. I will be at the Stick on December 8th to watch the Niner/ Seahawks game and I hope it’s a classic!

33. ratsfoiledagain says: Sep 27, 2013 1:29 PM

lamptonsbarbershop says: Sep 27, 2013 11:22 AM

**************************************
    Games were blacked out in the 90’s. Why? Ken Behring did everything in his power to separate the fans from the team. He told he team to draft Dan McGwire (Mark’s brother) because he knew Dan’s agent and thought he would get a good deal. Chuck Knox wanted to draft some guy named Brett Farve. Ken fired Chuck and brought in Tom Flores, his buddy. That didn’t work either. Ken then moved the teams operations in California. He then wanted to move the team to California, Oakland I believe, since the Raiders were in SoCal at the time (if I remember correctly). If the Nordstrom family knew what Ken was going to do they would have never sold the team to him. At Ken’s arrival there was a +20K waiting list for season tickets. Games were on TV EVERY Sunday. There is not a fan base in the U.S. that would support an owner whose main practice is to do what he can to move a team. A fan(s) only way of protest is to not buy a ticket. And you, sir, call that fair weather?

34. lamptonsbarbershop says: Sep 27, 2013 1:39 PM

Pmars64 the 70′s please. There were only a few teams back then that any fan base cared about and football itself didn’t revolutionize until the Walsh days so miss me wit that statement you made you may be a life long fan I wasn’t even around in the 70s I’m 29 years old but Seahawks biggest and most recent train hoppers in history

35. ydousuk says: Sep 27, 2013 1:42 PM

mmsierra says: Sep 27, 2013 10:58 AM

Smarterthanyou says:
    Sep 27, 2013 9:04 AM
    ———————————————–

Sorry, SmartyBoots
    I FEEL YOUR FEAR !!
    I FEEL IT
    We’re coming for you !!
    Watch out, Seahawks !!
    ————————————————————-
    We’re coming for you………………. Coming for what, another beat down?

36. 4tea9er says: Sep 27, 2013 1:46 PM

translation: every gd team needs a gd running gm to set up the pass of play action

37. pmars64 says: Sep 27, 2013 2:46 PM

@ lamptonsbarbershop
    Hey if it makes you feel better to diss Hawks fans after the beat down they put on the Niners AGAIN, then have at it. You don’t need to dwell on the 29 total points the Niners have scored in the past 3 games against the Hawks combined. Or that Harbaugh was completely frustrated two weeks ago that his offense was going nowhere AGAIN against the Hawks D. Maybe Harbaugh isn’t as good as he thinks he is. Nobody is going to look at the tape of his play-calling at the end of the SB last year and in OT against the G-men two seasons ago to learn how to call a game. In fact, they’ll review them to see how NOT to call plays in crunch time.

38. yayimspecial says: Sep 27, 2013 2:49 PM

where were all the seahawk fans when they beat the jags and panthers? my, those are two powerhouse football teams you beat……………

39. yayimspecial says: Sep 27, 2013 2:54 PM

Smarterthanyou says:
    Sep 27, 2013 9:04 AM

1. Last season was a fluke.
    2. They kept an overrated, tattooed freak instead of Alex Smith.
    3. Their defense is overrated.
    4. Pete Carroll is smarter than Whinebaugh.
    5. Seattle is a much more superior team.
    6. Russell Wilson is a much more superior QB

—————————————————

how can you call a team superior if they haven’t even won a superbowl?

40. lamptonsbarbershop says: Sep 27, 2013 3:07 PM

Pmar64 I love your alot of Seahawks players I’ve never said they weren’t good but the fans suck I been here 20 years almost and none of you have denied that 90% of your fans are fair weather call it protest against the organization all you want the facts remain

41. realitycheckbaby says: Sep 27, 2013 3:12 PM

4949centennial says: Sep 27, 2013 9:46 AM

=========================

The problem is you don’t get to play the Rams every week.

42. realitycheckbaby says: Sep 27, 2013 3:24 PM

Stack the box, don’t let Gore run…

rush Colon Krapernick, make him beat you with his arm but don’t give him all day.

Hit him hard if he runs.

Krap can’t beat anyone with his arm.

San Fran is one dimensional and teams have figured it out.

43. questfor6 says: Sep 27, 2013 3:34 PM

Are Seattle fans really talking this much smack? I mean, all your sports teams have been totally irrelevant for, pretty much, ever. Now that your football team is finally good after 30 years you act like you have this great organization. You have never had one all time great player ever( I guess if you want to call the overrated slow Largent one, go ahead if it makes you feel better).

Your baseball team sucks, you lost your sorry basketball team and looked more foolish when you bombed trying to get the kings and now your football team is good and beat the niners a few times you act tough. You guys were deemed so worthless at one time they forced you to move from AFC to the NFC. They would never do that to a half decent organization. I guess that’s why you guys act like this when replying to NINER articles. You must have severe frustration. I am never reading Seahawks articles cause I’m not desperate like you sorry fans. Great your football team is better than the niners for once in ages. Act like you’ve been there before…..oh wait you have not been there, my bad.

I went to your ridiculously loud stadium a few years ago and I was looking everywhere for the TROPHY case….. Couldn’t find it.

44. unclepino says: Sep 27, 2013 3:42 PM

Maybe one dimensional for now. They will get healthy and the pass game will improve. How’s that for a reality check?

45. realitycheckbaby says: Sep 27, 2013 4:10 PM

The problem is with the guy throwing the ball.

46. realitycheckbaby says: Sep 27, 2013 4:12 PM

questfor6 says: Sep 27, 2013 3:34 PM

=============================

Better find something to occupy your time.

Otherwise you may have had to watch the beat down your team was receiving – AGAIN – on the field.

47. realitycheckbaby says: Sep 27, 2013 4:14 PM

yayimspecial says: Sep 27, 2013 2:49 PM

========================

Good point.

We haven’t beaten anyone good yet.

48. realitycheckbaby says: Sep 27, 2013 4:16 PM

Definition of little sister:

Fans chanting about big brother Seahawks after beating a completely irrelevant team.

49. realitycheckbaby says: Sep 27, 2013 4:19 PM

drehmsme says: Sep 27, 2013 12:19 PM

=============================

Scoreboard

Record

50. joemontanafan says: Sep 27, 2013 4:33 PM

@smarterthenyouare- one reason why you’re a douche bag.

1. The 6 reasons you listed why the 9ers won’t win the superbowl in the next decade.

51. 9erking says: Sep 27, 2013 4:43 PM

Kap is still young he will make mistakes but he will get a whole lot better as games go on we delt with poor play from Alex a lot longer but he also became better Kap was the right choice.Injuries plague us right now unlike last year when everyone returned healthy but it’s the business u get bang up.Run game our bread n butter pound it and everything else opens up. Hawks are good but were still current division and conference champs despite what’s said. Until that title is taken away everything negative that’s said is irrelevant. 12 weeks left go 9ers!!!

52. yayimspecial says: Sep 27, 2013 5:14 PM

Sep 27, 2013 4:14 PM
    yayimspecial says: Sep 27, 2013 2:49 PM

========================

Good point.

We haven’t beaten anyone good yet.

———————————————
    Nope and when the 49ers get everyone back from the IR, the niners wont be so one dimensional and will be able to have capable receivers. We’ll see who has the last laugh come playoff time.

53. ydousuk says: Sep 27, 2013 5:22 PM

yayimspecial says: Sep 27, 2013 2:54 PM

how can you call a team superior if they haven’t even won a superbowl?

—————————————————————-
    Well, because the last time the niners won a Superbowl was nineteen years ago….. In the present, the 21st century, the Hawks just beat the 9ers, convincingly………….

54. hawkman4life says: Sep 27, 2013 5:23 PM

Gore a HOFer? Not so sure bout that. It’s rather funny how niner fans went the way of the dinosaur after 2 straight losses and rear their ugly heads again after a win against a REALLY bad rams team. I have been a hawk fan since they became an expansion team. Second youngest team in the NFL behind the jaguars. I hear a lot about history but let’s be fair, SF has been around much longer. Comments like “how can you call yourself superior without a SB” is probably the stupidest thing I ever heard! Every year is a new year and each year a team can rise above and become superior THAT year. Seattle doesn’t need any rings in their past to be a superior team THIS year and SF should know that better than anyone. You had good years but many more bad years in your history and to hang on to past accomplishments is just pathetic. This is the 21st century, not the 20th century. You won two straight division titles…that’s nice…seattle won the four straight before that and SF was sitting at the bottom with the rams. Who are really the bandwagoners here? Seattle fans aren’t classy because they have something to cheer about? All I keep reading is SF being classless and clinging to a past that is ancient history. Impress me today

55. hawkman4life says: Sep 27, 2013 5:31 PM

yayimspecial says: Sep 27, 2013 2:49 PM

========================
    Good point.

We haven’t beaten anyone good yet.

———————————————

We’ll see who has the last laugh come playoff time.In the mean time, Seahawk fans can continue to brag for right; you know since they are finally good and all.

_________________________________________

You do realize that one of the wins were against the niners right? What a boob…and Carolina is not a bad team either. Ignorance runs deep in Cali!

56. unclepino says: Sep 27, 2013 5:40 PM

@hawkman4life:

Second youngest team after the Jaguars??? Read up junior. Hahahha maybe try googling it before you speak up.

57. questfor6 says: Sep 27, 2013 6:06 PM

Hey Hawkman, stop reading niner articles dork. You probably sit near your computer all day and read niner articles, getting all excited typing away. Get a life. None of us are replying to Seahawks articles. Scratching for any relevance. Let niner fans read our team articles and stick to your never accomplished anything Seahawks articles. Sad…..

58. digitalsasquatch says: Sep 27, 2013 6:26 PM

Kaep-Kaep sorta looks like Squidward.

59. albsure53 says: Sep 27, 2013 7:26 PM

“pmars64 says:
    Sep 27, 2013 11:55 AM
    It’s easy to blast Seahawk fans for being bandwagon fans, but I recall when you could hear someone shout across Candlestick the place was so empty in the 70s when the Niners were irrelevant and guys like Scott Bull were starting QBs. It’s always easy to follow a team with 5 SB titles in their history. Too bad their fans still rag on Craig for that 1990 fumble after all that he helped the Niners accomplish. Now that’s classy.”

As a 49er fan who not only watched Scott Bull but Tom Owen, Norm Sneed, Steve Spurrier, Joe Reed & Jim Plunkett stumble about with the rest of the team from 74 to 78 I beg to differ on your comment. Yes, every fan wants their team to win or at the very least compete (and they failed at both more often than not) but I saw no such bandwagon jumping as you have put forth. No, we did not sellout most of the time but the stands were never empty. We endured, hoped & prayed that “next year” would be better. After the Joe Thomas fiasco we were rewarded with the hiring of Bill Walsh and the sellouts started two years before winning the SB. True 49er fans (and there are plenty) were always behind the team. The owner before Eddie D. would be right there in the stands with the rest of us rooting for his team. Nice try buddy but you were not there or you were very high if that is how you remember it.

60. pmars64 says: Sep 27, 2013 7:47 PM

@ albsure53
    Really?? That’s the best you can do? Some lame “well, uh, yeah, we didn’t sell out most of the time but there were always die-hard fans out there…” Give me a break! Isn’t that the very DEFINITION of brandwagon fans? Only the diehards show up, but no sell outs, until the team wins?

EVERY team has plenty of diehard fans who trudge up to see their lame team most likely lose. You want to see fans? Watch the 1-11 Browns play the Steelers in Cleveland in a Thursday night game in temperatures well below zero in front of plenty of diehards. No, it wasn’t a sell-out, but I’ve never heard a stadium yell louder than when the Browns made that final tackle to win the game.

61. albsure53 says: Sep 27, 2013 8:39 PM

1. Jumping on the bandwagon suggests following the crowd for the excitement of the event rather than any firm conviction in its direction.
    2. My point was that no, you could NOT hear someone yell across Candlestick during the 70s.
    3. If you have heard anyone “rag” on Craig they where not a true fan.
    4. I do agree with you. It is easy to blast Seahawks fans for being bandwagon fans. Why you ask? Because they are the Pinocchio of the NFL. They so badly want to be a real boy.

And finally: I disagree about Cleveland. They are not alone in being faithful. As much as I dislike the Cowboys their fans are behind them 100% come hell or high water (1 playoff win in the last 16 seasons) along with many teams that have had down times. Bears, Packers, Steelers (the all time losers of the NFL until Mean Joe & Bradshaw), Philly, Giants…etc.
    Hope the Seahawk fans enjoy this ride because it will eventually end & then we will see what kind of fans they really are.

62. supershaun80 says: Sep 27, 2013 11:02 PM

Wow the seahawk fans are delusional and why are so many of you trolling Niner articles all day? The Seahawks are a great team but wow the fans are ridiculous. I lived in Everett WA in the mid nineties and everybody called them the Shehawks so this is interesting to hear all this garbage. If there is such a thing as a good seahawk fan all of you are ruining there rep shut your mouth and read your own articles for god sake!

63. questfor6 says: Sep 28, 2013 11:55 AM

Thanks supershaun…well said. These loser hawk fans like Hawkman and wilsonwillbreaku are probably on a scam disability sitting in front of the computer with their pants down reading niner articles and replying to them. Total losers that make the actual “real Seahawks fans” look bad.

64. ydousuk says: Sep 28, 2013 3:00 PM

questfor6 says: Sep 28, 2013 11:55 AM

————————————————————-

Still mad about that game huh?

65. panteranate says: Sep 28, 2013 8:26 PM

Yes…niners fans hang onto the past. Like the 4-0 they were against the ‘hawks before the last 2 games.(Which were both played at a place where coaches can’t even call their plays in…that’s REAL sportsmanlike) Or the Conference Championship they played in LAST YEAR,while the ‘hawks and their newfound “fans” were watching on the couch as the niners beat the team they couldn’t! Yea…really gotta reach far back to find something to hold onto guys! I don’t even have a problem w the ‘hawks. It’s about time they climb out of irrelevance. But their “fans” are the WORST! I’ve never seen a fan base talk so much smack,when they haven’t ever done anything besides win a few division titles,just to lose in the playoffs. ‘Hawks are good this year…but their fans need to act like they’ve been here before…even though they haven’t! As much as I don’t like the Packers,or the Cowboys…at least their fans have a history to be proud of.