Steven Jackson isn’t going to rush himself back

St Louis Rams v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

Falcons running back Steven Jackson wants to get back as quickly as possible, but he isn’t going to rush himself.

In a personal blog titled “Pain, but no Panic,” Jackson said he has to be patient as he comes back from the hamstring strain that is expected to keep him out another few weeks.

For as physical a back as he was with the Rams, he was also remarkably durable (missing just two games the previous four seasons).

“I’m still new, and I’ve only really been able to participate in one game, so I have a lot of pressure on myself,” Jackson wrote, via Vaughan McClure of ESPN.com. “I want to come in and make a huge impression on this team and on this city. So I’ve just been really focused on getting back healthy, and once I’m back on the field, being an impact player.

“But I have to be patient. That’s just part of being mature as a player. I know my body, and I have to make sure that I’m right. I don’t want to come back too soon, and just be an average guy on the football field. When I come back, I want to be 100 percent healthy and be the dynamic running back who can catch the ball, run between the tackles and do all the things that I’ve done.”

The 30-year-old back could have a solid break if he misses the next two games, coupled with an Oct. 13 bye week.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Steven Jackson isn’t going to rush himself back”
  1. cletusvandam says: Sep 27, 2013 2:43 PM

“Plus I get paid either way”

2. 50brady23moss says: Sep 27, 2013 2:59 PM

I feel for this dude, he wasted his prime years in STL, playing for nothing. Finally gets with a contender, and the wear & tear catches up. Has building around a RB ever worked?

3. patsbrat says: Sep 27, 2013 3:41 PM

50brady23moss says:
    Sep 27, 2013 2:59 PM
    …Has building around a RB ever worked?

I think back in the day – Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, OJ come to mind.

Not so much recently though. AP, Emmit Smith, Chris Johnson, Marshall Faulk, and many others are great backs, but now the rules and playbooks more favor the passing game.

4. therealtrenches says: Sep 27, 2013 4:41 PM

@patsbrat: building around OJ worked? Yeah…the bills were dominant back then…totally dominant.

5. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Sep 27, 2013 4:41 PM

He got his big pay day when signed with the Falcons. This is all too common of veteran players milking the system.

Atlanta, you may have a problem here.

6. mrlaloosh says: Sep 27, 2013 4:47 PM

Dude is DONE! Good while it lasted but…… It’s over.

7. patsbrat says: Sep 27, 2013 8:38 PM

therealtrenches says: Sep 27, 2013 4:41 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    OJ played for the Bills 1969 – 77. In 69, the offense was ranked 20th in the NFL out of then 26 teams. In 1975 the Bills offense was ranked #1 – averaging 30 points and 390 yards per game. 212 yards per game rushing.

8. falconshot says: Sep 27, 2013 10:32 PM

just wait, SJ39 will bring it on strong after he and Roddy White get healthy. Rise Up down the stretch, bring it on !