Finley describes his concussion experience, says son doesn’t want him to play

Finley AP

With a Week Four bye, Packers tight end Jermichael Finley won’t have to worry about whether he’ll be cleared to play only seven days after suffering a concussion.

If Finley’s five-year-old son had his way, Finley never would be cleared.

“‘Daddy, I don’t want you to play football anymore,'” Finley’s son told his father by phone after Finley left the Week Three game in Cincinnati with a concussion.

Finley described his son’s reaction, and the incident, on a video posted through Finley’s website.

Aaron Rodgers threw the ball, I dove,” Finley said.  “And after that I felt the hit at my shoulder.  After all that happened I was unconscious by then.”

Finley was hit in the head by Bengals safety George Iloka, who was fined $15,000 for making contact to the head/neck area of a defenseless player.

“I looked to the sideline,” Finley said.  “All I saw was jerseys.  I saw pants, the yellow pants we wear.  And I didn’t see no heads or legs.  So everybody was decapitated and my body was just on fire.”

Finley explained that he didn’t try to argue with doctors who told Finley he wouldn’t be returning to the game, even though he was tempted at first to fight his way back to the field.

Finley acknowledges that there’s much that needs to be done before he is cleared to play, including tests regarding balance, sight, memory, and conditioning.

“There’s a lot I still got to go through, and I’m all for it and ready to get out there,” Finley said.

Making him even more ready is the fact that the 1-2 Packers will be facing the Lions.

“I’m not saying it’s a statement game or nothing like that,” Finley said.  “But it’s a ‘must’ win, it’s a game we should win.”

It’s a game the Packers will need to win in order to avoid falling to 1-3 on the year.  And there’s a chance they’ll have to face the Lions without Finley.

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
54 Responses to “Finley describes his concussion experience, says son doesn’t want him to play”
  1. filthymcnasty1 says: Sep 28, 2013 11:26 AM

Headhunting is pretty much the only way to stop this offense.

2. nflofficeadmin says: Sep 28, 2013 11:29 AM

I’ve fallen and I can’t get up.

3. GenXJay says: Sep 28, 2013 11:33 AM

When ShAaron & McCarthy get back from Feelings Camp & mended egos , after the bye week, they will address this. Not some kid.
    Kids are innocent and say unbelievable things. Just ask Bill Cosby or Adrian Peterson.

4. 28for20 says: Sep 28, 2013 11:36 AM

Finleys head is as soft as the Packers D!

5. taintedsaints2009 says: Sep 28, 2013 11:43 AM

Only way the lions gain any credibility at all is if they beat the packers. Same with the bears. Until then, the packers are the king of that division. I don’t care what their record says. They dominate the bears, lions, and Vikings every year. Usually a clean sweep.

6. filthymcnasty1 says: Sep 28, 2013 11:51 AM

GenXJay says:
    Sep 28, 2013 11:33 AM

Kids are innocent and say unbelievable things.

*********************************************

“Daddy, I can’t believe you lost to the Browns.”

– Adrian Peterson’s daughter via Twitter

7. 52lightsxout52 says: Sep 28, 2013 11:53 AM

Rest up and get ready for Detroit J-Mike, PackerNation sends you their prayers…

8. Smarterthanyou says: Sep 28, 2013 11:55 AM

Packers………always whining about something

9. bostoncollie says: Sep 28, 2013 12:07 PM

That was alarming watching him get up, wobble around, then go to his knee. I could see where it would scare his son.

10. jiveturkeygobbler says: Sep 28, 2013 12:07 PM

The guy in the pic looks like he’s helping Jermichael exercise a demon.

11. MikeisWise says: Sep 28, 2013 12:08 PM

Maybe next time don’t lower your head as you are about to get tackled and your son won’t have to worry

12. thep1553doff1 says: Sep 28, 2013 12:13 PM

Smarterthanyou says:
    Sep 28, 2013 11:55 AM
    Packers………always whining about something

—————————————————-

You know the pack and fans well! It always comes down to somebody cheating them. Favre throws a season’s worth of picks in a playoff game, but the real reason they lost is because the refs were cheating.

13. conner87 says: Sep 28, 2013 12:17 PM

Best wishes to Finley from a Lions fan. hate seeing anyone get hurt no matter the team.

14. wearethesteelers says: Sep 28, 2013 12:27 PM

What a loser.

15. vietnambob2473 says: Sep 28, 2013 12:29 PM

The bad partis Iloka was clearly going for the ball and just collided with Finley…yet he gets a fine out of it.

16. cubsfan101 says: Sep 28, 2013 12:35 PM

thep1553doff1 says:
    Sep 28, 2013 12:13 PM
    Smarterthanyou says:
    Sep 28, 2013 11:55 AM
    Packers………always whining about something

—————————————————-

……..who is whining?

17. chi01town says: Sep 28, 2013 12:37 PM

CHI-Town Krazy!!
    GOOD HIT!! see I hate them yellow helmet wearing mutha f%#kers for real. ” daddy I dont want you to play football anymore” keep that sh%t at home. finley gone play for that money and Im gone be hoping somebody finish his a%$ off.

18. billsfan1 says: Sep 28, 2013 12:47 PM

wearethesteelers says: Sep 28, 2013 12:27 PM

What a loser.

says the guy who’s team is quarterbacked by a guy who likes to rape teenagers… and I am pretty sure you are not the steelers. You have to be able to throw a ball, or catch it or run with it and im pretty sure your mom doesnt allow you to play in the house..

19. carlsbadboltfan says: Sep 28, 2013 12:51 PM

wearethesteelers says: Sep 28, 2013 12:27 PM

What a loser.

————————————————————————————

Baltimore 2-1
    Cincy 2-1
    Cleveland 1-2
    STEELERS 0-3

Um…what?

20. burningrangers says: Sep 28, 2013 12:54 PM

Only packer haters would call a player describing the experience of a potentially crippling and career ending hit as “whining”.

21. billh1947 says: Sep 28, 2013 12:56 PM

nflofficeadmin says: Sep 28, 2013 11:29 AM

“I’ve fallen and I can’t get up”
    Is that supposed to be funny? it wasnt funny when young people made the same stupid remark when the ad for First Alert for senior citizens first came out.many senior citizens indeed do fall and they actually cannot get up without help as many suffer from broken hips in the fall and their is nothing funny about that at all.

22. sportnorcal says: Sep 28, 2013 12:58 PM

A brutal account.
    Sounds like the concussion procedures in place are working and were a good addition to players’ well-being.

Finley is money, hope he is able to get back out there soon with no long term effects from it.

23. kwickett85 says: Sep 28, 2013 1:02 PM

They need to review these plays better and stop fining the ones that aren’t intentional.

For the ones that are they should start the fines out at a weeks salary (i.e.. $800k salary = $50k fine) and if it keeps happening then double it each time.

24. jlmd17 says: Sep 28, 2013 1:03 PM

“Man up” already.

25. blackcatnfl says: Sep 28, 2013 1:07 PM

Sure, a 5 year old grasps the balance of millions of dollars and food stamps.

26. tqaztec says: Sep 28, 2013 1:09 PM

Not impressed.

27. smillr58 says: Sep 28, 2013 1:15 PM

Listen to your son…

28. axespray says: Sep 28, 2013 1:22 PM

tqaztec says:
    Sep 28, 2013 1:09 PM
    “Take out the one SB run (wild card team) and Rodgers has only won one playoff game. That win was against the Joe Webb lead Vikings.
    Not impressed.”
    ——————————
    And I’m sure an All Pro QB isn’t impressed by some pencil neck nerd’s keyboard skills or life.

29. chrispettrysuperfan says: Sep 28, 2013 1:30 PM

At least Finley gets to come back at some point.

Unlike me.

30. dino2997 says: Sep 28, 2013 1:31 PM

Finley fits in perfectly with the Packers. Can’t handle adversity.

31. steelers4385 says: Sep 28, 2013 1:34 PM

Shut up and retire then

32. yourfriendcole says: Sep 28, 2013 1:53 PM

“I looked to the sideline. All I saw was jerseys. I saw pants, the yellow pants we wear. And I didn’t see no heads or legs. So everybody was decapitated and my body was just on fire.”

Jesus, that’s terrifying.

33. 28for20 says: Sep 28, 2013 1:58 PM

axespray;
    ——————————
    That’s a hell of a way to talk about yourself!

34. eaglefan94 says: Sep 28, 2013 1:59 PM

Imagine if he did take his five year old son’s advice. “Daddy, what happened to Christmas?”

35. allday28mvpmvp says: Sep 28, 2013 2:39 PM

filthy is never too busy with real life stuff to not be the FIRST to post on every Vikings article.

He’s a GB fan but that doesn’t mean that the Vikings don’t mean the entire world to him.

Anyone else find this odd?

36. koreystringerswidow says: Sep 28, 2013 2:41 PM

I am very against young men getting hurt playing football, and am glad to see some responsible NFL teams taking prudent necessary precautions against further player injuries.

37. skoobyfl says: Sep 28, 2013 2:53 PM

Every U-P guy complains, even the kids.

38. bonniebengal says: Sep 28, 2013 2:54 PM

filthymcnasty1 says:
    Sep 28, 2013 11:26 AM
    Headhunting is pretty much the only way to stop this offense.:

_________________________

After watching the Packers lose to the 49ers and Bengals, it is obvious all you need is a good defensive line to stop the Packers’ offense.

39. skolvikingsuperbowl says: Sep 28, 2013 3:04 PM

allday28mvpmvp says:
    Sep 28, 2013 2:39 PM

Anyone else find this odd?

____________________________________

1) This is a Packer thread.

2) Your obsession with that moronic troll is probably unhealthy, and more than a little creepy.

40. gbmickey says: Sep 28, 2013 3:09 PM

The classless vikings posters come out of hiding only to make fun of an injury much like they did with Bulaga. I guess when your team sucks as bad as yours you really have very little to cheer for. Lose to Pitt. and you will all go back into hiding and the rest of us will enjoy.

41. filthymcnasty1 says: Sep 28, 2013 3:30 PM

tqaztec says:
    Sep 28, 2013 1:09 PM

Not impressed.

********************************************

If you take out all Joe Montana’s playoff victories, he’d be left with even less than Rodgers.

These HOF QB’s are so overrated.

42. deltaoracle says: Sep 28, 2013 3:36 PM

“Take out the one Super Bowl run and Rodgers has won one playoff game.”
    Wow, great point!
    And take out Rodgers’ right arm and he’s not much better than Ponder!
    Take out GB’s 13 World Championships and they haven’t won any more than the Vikings!
    Take out the Packers and dogs in East Dakota might not get kicked so much!

43. danightwatchman says: Sep 28, 2013 3:56 PM

A highway patrol man knows he might get killed by a gunshot, wreck or whatever. A football player knows he might get a broken leg, arm or concussed. Dont take the money and fame then act as if you didnt know what was possible….become a librarian or something. Its part of the job!

44. phloorioisanarcissist says: Sep 28, 2013 3:59 PM

You’re such a looser filthymcnasty. Why don’t you get a life? You’re nothing and never will be. I guess you’ve learned to live with that. Sad.

45. natijim235 says: Sep 28, 2013 4:10 PM

if anything finely led with the head when he dove- iloka clearly hit him with the shoulder and how is the receiver defenseless when he’s going for the ball! NFL turning into No Football League

46. nflgerry says: Sep 28, 2013 4:21 PM

Not impressed.
    =======================
    Search for “League admits to two touchdown errors in Sunday night game” on PFT. You’ll see that the Packers shouldn’t have even been in the playoffs that year. So Rodgers really hasn’t done anything at all.

47. hatesycophants says: Sep 28, 2013 4:26 PM

Quit crying, punk!

48. tokyofilthblaster says: Sep 28, 2013 4:54 PM

Finley > Rudolph

49. vegasgreek says: Sep 28, 2013 4:55 PM

Finley won’t retire . he’s about to cash in on a big payday in the off season. Besides what would he do besides playing football to make that kind of money. All the jealous losers here knock the Packers .I see a super explosive offense evolving week by week especially if the RB’s can stay healthy. This offense could be lethal. If the Packers can keep producing turnovers on defense they’ll be fine. All they have to do is keep away from too many injuries and protect Rodgers. The Packers are the best team in the NFC North , FACE REALITY &DEAL WITH IT.

50. londonbengal says: Sep 28, 2013 5:46 PM

Of course Finley Jnr doesn’t want his daddy to play foorball……….

…………………that is of course until someone explains to junior that if daddy didn’t play football, he couldn’t have all the nice things santa brings him for Christmas, those nice winter holidays in Aspen and his fully paid for condo in Florida for when he grows up………

Once junior understands that he’ll be rootin’ for daddy to rock up and lay out every Sunday………..

51. chi01town says: Sep 28, 2013 5:50 PM

@gbmickey
    Vikings fans might be hiding next week BUT I WONT,… I will be right here asking you why your coach and QB is at odds on the sidelines and losing games to the Bengals? maybe its because Rodgers is calling plays so he wont get killed behind that WEAK O-line. and the coach wants plays to try to win the game.

52. beerbratscheese says: Sep 28, 2013 10:21 PM

phloorioisanarcissist says:
    Sep 28, 2013 3:59 PM
    You’re such a looser filthymcnasty.
    =========================

He’s a looser filthymcnasty? I guess I’ve never met the tighter one, so I guess I can’t say you’re wrong.

”””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””
    tqaztec says:
    Sep 28, 2013 1:09 PM

Not impressed.
    ================================

That pretty much sums up Peyton Manning, too. It’s amazing that all these crappy QBs that can only win about 65% of their games can be dare mentioned as great QBs.

53. beerbratscheese says: Sep 28, 2013 10:28 PM

Chi01town, I’ve never hidden from you, BTW. I’ve been busy and have had a good share of posts deleted for no apparent reason.

Yes, you predicted the Packers would lose and the Bears would win. You were right and I can’t argue that. Also, the Bears played better than I thought they would last week. You got me there.

But when you completely dismiss the Packers as a non-factor in the North, that’s where I have the problem. They are only two game out, and they still have two games against the Bears. They are still 100% in the race whether you admit it or not.

54. chi01town says: Sep 28, 2013 10:44 PM

@beerbratscheese
    I dont like the packers but I wont say they are out of the race. I am not that stupid. Green bay is still Chicago’s biggest problem and they are NOT going to go away. the race to the playoffs in the North go’s threw Green bay. this much is true