Report: Gronkowski, Patriots not seeing eye to eye on his return

Gronk AP

The Patriots and tight end Rob Gronkowski may not be on the same page about his return from back surgery.

The Boston Herald reports that Gronkowski’s camp and the team have a disagreement over his availability for Sunday night’s game against the Falcons.

According to the report, the Patriots think Gronkowski is healthy enough that he should be on the field on Sunday. But Gronkowski and the people around him are not convinced that he’s ready, and they don’t want to see him aggravate his injury if he’s rushed back on the field.

The Gronkowski camp may be concerned about a repeat of last year, when Gronkowski broke his arm in Week 11, missed five weeks, then broke the same arm again in his second game back from that injury. Gronkowski spent much of this offseason undergoing surgical procedures on that arm, which became infected.

New England has listed Gronkowski as questionable for Sunday’s game.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Report: Gronkowski, Patriots not seeing eye to eye on his return”
  1. toybkshr says: Sep 28, 2013 3:50 PM

I hope it’s not true that his friends & family are making this decision. Would lose a lot of respect for Gronk if it comes out that he let family & friends make this decision.

2. floratiotime says: Sep 28, 2013 3:52 PM

He’s a dancing machine !

3. thebigtebowski says: Sep 28, 2013 4:00 PM

Just play. My fantasy team needs you

4. joshtanney says: Sep 28, 2013 4:02 PM

Best wishes, Gronk! Get well soon.

5. gotampabay52 says: Sep 28, 2013 4:05 PM

Pus goes with the of the city

6. sschmiggles says: Sep 28, 2013 4:06 PM

Wow. Hard to believe the Pats could be this stupid after what happened last time.

If he doesn’t feel ready, then he isn’t. Why would you force him back? We need him for the long run, not a handful of games in the middle of the season.

Why risk another serious injury that could hurt his career? Jesus, have some common sense.

7. tile84 says: Sep 28, 2013 4:06 PM

d. rose situation

8. multiplemiggs says: Sep 28, 2013 4:07 PM

I take it your in last place in your fantasy league if you drafted this guy to your team.

9. pacificnw7722 says: Sep 28, 2013 4:11 PM

“Patriots think Gronkowski is healthy enough that he should be on the field on Sunday.”

Summer of Gronk comes to an end………

10. EJ says: Sep 28, 2013 4:16 PM

The Patriots are winning, why take the chance on losing him for longer? If he’s not ready, then let him come back when he is.

11. folkcrusader says: Sep 28, 2013 4:23 PM

The Pat’s already made one poor decision regarding his health. I’d be damned if I’d put my health decisions back in the hands of incompetents. That said, if he’s letting non-doctors and family members help with that decision he’s an idiot too.

12. mydogsnameisvick says: Sep 28, 2013 4:29 PM

Gronk is right in being cautious here. His back was jacked and another back injury not only could end his career it could also end his dancing days.

13. nyjetblue says: Sep 28, 2013 4:30 PM

Just another reason to detest the Pats…as if anyone needed one.

14. bigbenrespectshoes says: Sep 28, 2013 4:35 PM

gronkowski… more like gronk-owww-ski

15. canetic says: Sep 28, 2013 4:53 PM

I wish I could tell my boss that I’ll work when I feel like it and still get paid.

16. harrisonhits2 says: Sep 28, 2013 4:57 PM

The Herald. Its not like they’re known for outright making up stories or anything.

17. patsbrat says: Sep 28, 2013 4:59 PM

Its the Herald – no quotes, no idea where this “information” comes from. The headline just says “Sources:”. It could be logicalvoice for all we know.

I wish there would be more emphasis on team’s performance, strategy, and behind the scenes stuff that gives insight into how the product on the field happens. All this soap opera creations of dissention stuff blows.

18. bleedrangerblue says: Sep 28, 2013 5:00 PM

Right on nyjetblue!!!

19. bleedrangerblue says: Sep 28, 2013 5:00 PM

Right on nyjetblue !!

20. coltzfan166 says: Sep 28, 2013 5:36 PM

Seems to me like they’re trying to rush him. If I were Gronk, I’d wait until I’m 100%. Which may not be until December. Otherwise he won’t be the dominant Gronk we all know.

21. mikep363839 says: Sep 28, 2013 5:52 PM

If your fantasy team sucks and you think Gronk coming back is going to solve everything you are in for a disappointing fantasy season either way. Shouldn’t have used an early round pick on someone from the PUP. Duhhh

22. r8dernation says: Sep 28, 2013 5:53 PM

Sounds like he has a case of the Derek Rose Syndrome.

23. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Sep 28, 2013 6:11 PM

If this is report is true, it would really be a BAD look for the Patriots.

Gronk has always balled – and in fact, has given it a go many times when he was clearly not ready. He toughed it out after Pollard rolled up his ankle – plus he went out when his right wrist was way too fresh to play.

He’s also taken big hits and run his routes across the hot spots in the middle — so there should be no questioning Gronk’s toughness.

If Gronk says his back isn’t right and needs more time/rehab – he has earned the right to believe him.

24. 1oldpro says: Sep 28, 2013 6:37 PM

Do not cross New England’s tight ends! I’m just warning ya.

25. titansbro says: Sep 28, 2013 6:42 PM

I drafted Gronk & Graham on my team & I’m 3-0 with the most pts in my league. Yeah I’m on a different fantasy level than most.

26. kacapaco says: Sep 28, 2013 6:52 PM

May be Pats are holding grudge for Gronk wasn’t that careful after the surgery which resulted in infection; May be this report is ‘tabloid’ matterial or may be Gronk is pulling Derrick Rose.
    Gronk’s head is filled with meat not brain -as Logan Mankins said it before- and he better listens the team Doctors. The team, if not sure won’t gamble on the huge money they gave him.

27. castleanthrax says: Sep 28, 2013 7:09 PM

Dr. Tom Gill.

Got a bad rap with the Sox and seems to always be in disagreement with injured players on this team.

28. sportsfan69 says: Sep 28, 2013 7:51 PM

OH Patriot fans should be worried. They have competition in their division now.

29. rodh32340 says: Sep 28, 2013 8:02 PM

With the way the East looks…Pats won’t need you!

30. realitycheckbaby says: Sep 28, 2013 8:35 PM

Forget about your health.

Get back on the field.

31. furnhole says: Sep 28, 2013 9:09 PM

NO will kill then with or without Gronk. Come back strong man.

32. fearthehoody says: Sep 28, 2013 9:21 PM

Oh yes people! Please! Please, more updates on your fantasy teams. We all cant wait!!

33. craigjosh says: Sep 28, 2013 11:35 PM

Bills fan here….so I hate saying this, but this is part of the genius of The hoodie. So even if they knew gronk would not be back by, or close to, week 6. You have every team you play against preparing to take away gronk until at least Friday, when gronk doesn’t play the whole gameplan needs to change for the opposing defense. Now they leaked a BS story about how gronk doesn’t want to play but the pats want him too (yes, this is the definitely of BS). I personally think it’s freakin genius, hell they almost had people believing amendola and has paper machey body would play. Football is a game of Inches some say, and I cannot underestimate the Pats getting an edge Monday/Friday!
    Don’t get me wrong, I hate this, I mean I really despise it, but I have to admit it’s extremely smart