Cardinals come back to ruin Mike Glennon’s debut

Cardinals Buccaneers Football AP

The Buccaneers defense put the team in position to win its first game of the year, but rookie quarterback Mike Glennon wasn’t able to take them home.

Glennon was picked off by Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson deep in Tampa territory in the fourth quarter, setting up a Larry Fitzgerald touchdown that tied the score at 10. Jeff Demps, playing his first NFL game, took the ensuing kickoff out from nine yards deep in the end zone and got tackled at the 10-yard line. Glennon was sacked on third down, leading to a punt from the end zone that Peterson returned to the Tampa 38-yard line.

Carson Palmer hit Jaron Brown for 19 yards and Buccaneers safety Dashon Goldson picked up yet another personal foul for hitting him while he was defenseless to put the Cardinals into field goal range. Jay Feely made a 27-yard field goal with 1:29 left to play. The Bucs tried to drive to tie or win, but Peterson picked Glennon again to ice the game.

The rookie was 24-of-43 for 193 yards and a touchdown to go with the two picks, but he was just 9-of-19 in the second half as the Bucs failed to extend their 10-0 halftime lead. The defense played well enough to win, but late errors cost Tampa the victory. New quarterback, same old story.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Cardinals come back to ruin Mike Glennon’s debut”
  1. wearethesteelers says: Sep 29, 2013 4:19 PM

Poorly coached teams find ways to lose.

2. patsbrat says: Sep 29, 2013 4:24 PM

Tough loss for the Bucs. But after the controversy over the last week+, there were definitely positives in this game to build on.

3. decimus83 says: Sep 29, 2013 4:24 PM

I called it when TB benched Freeman for Glennon . . . he is not the answer. In fact, he played worse than Freeman!

I am so frustrated that TB’s offense can’t do anything. These are professionals, right? It is inexplicable that every team in the league actually knows how to run and pass with consistency, except TB. I bet TB would lose to JAC; no chance against PHI in two weeks . . . .

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. groleo45 says: Sep 29, 2013 4:25 PM

Tons of Suh haters out there, but is there any doubt Goldson is the dirtiest in the league?

5. gor3hound says: Sep 29, 2013 4:32 PM

Yeez, and I traveling from Colombia to see this guys for first time against Philly -when I bought the ticket it sounded like a good idea- I don’t know who else to blame now, at least before we have Freeman as the escape goat, I mean losing against that terrible Carlson Palmer team? Yeez

6. gor3hound says: Sep 29, 2013 4:38 PM

Yeez, and I’m traveling from Colombia to see this guys for first time against Philly -when I bought the ticket it sounded like a good idea- I don’t know who else to blame, at least before we have Freeman as the escape goat-, losing against that terrible Carlson Palmer team, this one hurts like hell

7. xpensivewinos says: Sep 29, 2013 4:40 PM

Pretty sure it was Josh Freeman’s fault……

8. kingpel says: Sep 29, 2013 4:44 PM

Well I couldn’t have been more wrong about this game. Why on earth is Glennon throwing the ball in that spot?

9. mainbucsfan says: Sep 29, 2013 4:51 PM

Glennon isn’t the answer. This Offense sucks, the O line sucks, The receivers seem lazy like they don’t want to catch the ball it looks like they are not trying. The coach is using Doug Martin to much, that spells injury. Dave wannstad is gonna be the interm head coach when they fire Schiano.

10. malkinrulez says: Sep 29, 2013 4:51 PM

Clearly Freeman was the problem !

11. mobuccsfan says: Sep 29, 2013 4:52 PM

I’m officially done with this team.

12. mobuccsfan says: Sep 29, 2013 4:59 PM

I am going to say this now–this team is so bad they will be the first to lose in their Bye Week. They will become the first team in history to be 0-17. Terrible, terrible, terrible. If there is one bright spot–it is the defense–for three-quarters. WTH is the DC thinking in the fourth–week after week? Really? Ugh. Is it May yet? I am ready to see how they screw the draft. I’ve said this since Gruden was fired. Time for the Glazers to sell this team to someone who has a clue and wants to win again.

13. dioalice says: Sep 29, 2013 5:03 PM

That was two games in one. The first had the Cardinals not even attempt a throw to Fitzgerald in the first half while punting 6 times with three turnovers on their first 9 possessions. Then came the 4th quarter.

I’m not a Bucs fan but if I were, I’d be rethinking the Greg Schiano hiring. That was some brutal game “management” in the 4th.

14. thestrategyexpert says: Sep 29, 2013 5:13 PM

Looks like they had a great shot to win if Freeman was playing.

15. thelastpieceofcheese says: Sep 29, 2013 5:16 PM

Bad news – Bucs 0-4

Good news – Schiano’s days are counted

16. realfootballfan says: Sep 29, 2013 5:36 PM

Greg Schiano stuck in a 25 year time machine. Better get that resu;resume in to USC, coach.

17. thehuddleisondeathrow says: Sep 29, 2013 5:38 PM

Schiano was right. … Glennon did give us a better chance to win…. oh wait……

18. thehuddleisondeathrow says: Sep 29, 2013 5:42 PM

We dont have Josh Freeman to kick around any longer…. It’s time for people in this organization to take a good look in the mirror. Fire this clown Schiano and lets move on!!!!

19. censormynameandmycomments says: Sep 29, 2013 5:46 PM

Everyone knows the best way to win when you’re up in the 4th with 3 minutes to play with the ball in your own territory and a rookie QB- throw the ball at your opponents best defender. It’s genius!

-Greg Schiano

20. texansfan713 says: Sep 29, 2013 6:17 PM

1st game at qb and your asked to throw it 43 times. Your probably going to lose.

21. kingpel says: Sep 29, 2013 6:28 PM

As a Ram fan I am wondering if any Buc fans would like to do a Team Swap for a week or two? At least we wont have to watch the same guys making the same mistakes over and over again.

22. buc8 says: Sep 29, 2013 6:34 PM

I think Shiano could be a good coach, but I doubt this team will win any games this year and he’ll be out.

Probably Lovie Smith is next, but I would prefer Norv Turner.

23. mainbucsfan says: Sep 29, 2013 6:40 PM

With this years schedule I don’t see the bucs wining any of the games. There isn’t gonna be anyone in the Stadium? Us the fans should bankrupt the Owners. We have the power

24. labucs says: Sep 29, 2013 8:54 PM

My wish that won’t come true. First news Mon morning, Sciano and Dominick fired, Revis cut.

25. luz56 says: Sep 29, 2013 11:03 PM

When you can’t beat the Cards you have a bad team…very little talent, bad coaching and penalties cost them the game… As a Card fan they were ripe for the picking.. Levi Brown, Robin Sendelin et all OL were brutal again . Put a decent line in front of Glennon and he will be fine