Allen: Raiders held Pryor after “extreme caution”

Terrelle Pryor, Matt Flynn AP

After breaking down the obvious, that Matt Flynn didn’t play well, the Raiders also admitted how close Terrelle Pryor was to making him a moot point.

According to Jerry McDonald of the Bay Area News Group, Raiders coach Dennis Allen said they erred on the side of “extreme caution” with Pryor’s concussion.

“We were actually at a point where we were ready to go with Terrelle,” Allen said. “We visited with him one more time with the doctors, and we just didn’t feel good about letting him play. It just wasn’t the right thing to do, and we wanted to make sure we did right by him.”

Allen said he was “very hopeful,” that Pryor would be able to return next week against the Chargers.

“We were at the point where we were about ready to say, ‘He’s got it,’ but we just didn’t feel comfortable going ahead and letting him play,” Allen said.

While having so much staked to Terrelle Pryor speaks to the overall situation in Oakland, Flynn’s deficiencies made it clear how much they need him.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Allen: Raiders held Pryor after “extreme caution””
  1. yankeepunk3000 says: Sep 30, 2013 9:19 AM

how much is Flynn making? probally to much yes

2. brownsclown says: Sep 30, 2013 9:22 AM

Good move! The Raiders let Mike Lombardturd work while in a concussed state and look how badly that ended.

3. logicalvoicesays says: Sep 30, 2013 9:27 AM

#RGIIIWannabe

4. ZakGilbertTributePosterVerified says: Sep 30, 2013 9:31 AM

Better to exercise caution than end up with another Kevin Kolb or Trent-tative Edwards…

5. richcranium2112 says: Sep 30, 2013 9:46 AM

Pryor would probably have been destroyed considering the dismal performance of the O-Line.

They let Flynn take the beating, allowing for Pryor to get to 100% so he can continue to use his speed to run away from the defenders.

O-Line blows.

6. hodag54501 says: Sep 30, 2013 9:47 AM

I’m really surprised by Matt Flynn’s failures in two organizations. He was very good as a backup in Green Bay.
    I suspect he’s a “system quarterback”, who was able to run Green Bay’s offense, but not able to pick up other offenses.
    He could come back to Green Bay as a backup, but not for what teams are paying him now.

7. slick50ks says: Sep 30, 2013 9:50 AM

That was probably the last chance for another win this season.

The Skins are terrible, but the fade are clearly worse.

8. shuttaman1990 says: Sep 30, 2013 10:09 AM

This loss hurt, but it’s ok. Gotta make sure we protect our Franchise QB, no need to rush him when it’s very unlikely that we win the division(damn you peyton) or make the playoffs with KC and SD ahead.
    Next year though OH MAH GAWD!!!

9. wewantmoretebowandfavrearticles says: Sep 30, 2013 10:45 AM

Most likely the Raiders will end up taking Clowney or the top OT anyways, so it doesn’t really make sense to endanger Pryor when this is clearly a development project. The Raiders have quietly spent the past 2 years cleaning up the cap mess left by Al Davis and Pryor having a good statistical year buys both the coach and the GM one more year.

10. honkeyt says: Sep 30, 2013 10:51 AM

logicalvoicesays says: Sep 30, 2013 9:27 AM

#RGIIIWannabe

You have said this before. Running out of material, Bro. But you are celebrity on here, that should carry you for a couple of more years.

Quantcast

11. chaffee5355 says: Sep 30, 2013 10:56 AM

Matt Flynn should go now, His Football days are over. He’s living a soft life and got soft in the process. When he goes, he should take Dennis Allen with him.

12. cglacius says: Sep 30, 2013 10:57 AM

Matt Flynn = Brady Quinn, Matt Lienart, Joey Harrington, even Browning Nagle…..All systems QB’s…weak arms and can only thrive with a solid O line, good RB, good TE, deep threat WR, posession WR, and a great Kr……I would trade him for something and build around Pryor….The kid has improved each week.

13. chaffee5355 says: Sep 30, 2013 10:59 AM

I think the Raiders are looking to the draft already. It’s a habit. Best thing, for the Davis family is to sell the franchise and get out of Football. Al Davis was a Football man and the son isn’t.

14. TheDPR says: Sep 30, 2013 11:09 AM

It was a good move. The Raiders aren’t going anywhere this season anyway. Just consider this entire year a long preseason for Pryor, try to draft well and sign some OL in the offseason, then see if Pryor and the organization can take a step forward next year. I like Pryor’s potential and it would be foolish to get the kid destroyed during his first season of regular playing time.

15. afewzigzagsplease says: Sep 30, 2013 11:58 AM

I lost a three team parlay due to picking the Raiders on the card. I had no idea Flynn was so mediocre. My bad!

16. steelerben says: Sep 30, 2013 12:00 PM

Holding out Pryor from the game made perfect sense. While the Washington defense isn’t very good, they do have a legitimate pass rush threat in Kerrigan and that Oakland O-Line looks like the Bears line from last year. It isn’t worth the risk of getting another concussion when the last one isn’t fully healed. If McFadden and Reece both stay healthy, there is a chance the Raiders win that game, despite the dismal performance of Flynn.

17. slick50ks says: Sep 30, 2013 12:47 PM

Darren McMarshmallow being himself pretty early this year. Not really a suprise, but I thought he might make it a few more games. My bad.

The rest of the West hopes you build around Pryor though. The elite defenses won’t be letting him run around like that without suffering the results of that bad decision. If you think he’s hurt now…whoa.

18. nflgerry says: Sep 30, 2013 1:41 PM

Bad > Flynn > Rodgers

That’s the numbers. I’m just sayin’…

19. vonridel says: Sep 30, 2013 3:10 PM

Looks very much like Dennis Allen wanted to sit Pryor so he could try out his chosen boy, Flynn.

DA has not wanted anything to do with Pryor since he started coaching for the Raiders and it is only Pryor’s superior play that has forced Allen to give Pryor the start.

Amazing how stupid some of these head coaches are.

20. djohnson757 says: Sep 30, 2013 5:42 PM

@logicalvoice from Skins fan to another….stay humble bro!

21. MyTeamsAllStink says: Oct 1, 2013 11:34 AM

You know what the irony is the Raiders will lick second and draft Clowney who will end up being a bust.Why?Because that’s pretty much the Raider way.

22. chaffee5355 says: Oct 1, 2013 1:01 PM

I agree with MyTeamsAllStink when he talks about Clowney. The Raiders over the years have gotten some good talent but have knack for destroying it.

23. chaffee5355 says: Oct 1, 2013 1:17 PM

You know, this may sound on the trivial side, but I firmly believe this; If I am a prime draft candidate, in any position be it a tackle, end, QB, whatever and I get drafted by the Oakland Raiders, the first thing I would say is s_ _ _!!! Why do you want me? You have nothing to offer me but misery. You have done nothing in the past 10 years to show me that you are making progress. I have seen high caliber guys go to you only to get their talents degraded. You haven’t hired a good coach in years and you are still doing it and why do I have to play on a Griddiamond? I’m going to pull a Manning (both Peyton and Eli) and refuse to go to a team that drafted them. I refuse to go!!!