Josh Freeman statement

[Editor's noteJosh Freeman has issued a statement through his agents in response to the Monday report regarding his status in Stage One of the league's substance-abuse program.  The full text of the statement appears below.]
Let me be very clear. I have NEVER tested positive for any illegal drugs or related substances. Further, I have agreed to take, and have PASSED 46 NFL-regulated drug tests over the last year and a half.
Since the confidentiality of my medical status has been publicly violated, I am choosing to address this matter so that grossly erroneous assumptions about me do not persist.  Like millions of Americans, I have ADHD and I have been prescribed and permitted to take medication to treat this condition for the entirety of my NFL career.  Well over a year ago, I took a different medication for the same condition (Ritalin rather than Adderall) , and to assure everyone that the error was a one-time mistake, I agreed to be voluntarily tested in the “NFL Program”.  Since that time, I have taken and passed all 46 drug tests I’ve been given, which test for every drug and banned substance imaginable. I agreed to allow such testing to be done at my workplace (team facility) because I spend all of my time there and I have nothing whatsoever to hide or be embarrassed about.
Unfortunately, it appears that some people who may have noticed the testing at my workplace have made hurtful and incorrect assumptions and chosen to disseminate inaccurate and very disturbing information. It is a shame that when times have gotten tough, people have chosen to attack the character of others, rather than supporting each other. I remain dedicated and focused to being the best quarterback I can be and to help a team win a championship.
Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Features, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
25 Responses to “Josh Freeman statement”
  1. jraw67 says: Sep 30, 2013 9:49 PM

It’s cocaine!

2. brienos says: Sep 30, 2013 9:50 PM

No one should say the ADHD is the reason for his benching either. All of us have our own issues that we work through daily. Let the man be with this one folks. Don’t be an ugly internet.

3. jeffw says: Sep 30, 2013 9:52 PM

WOW! Shots fired. Your serve Bucs…???

4. bucrightoff says: Sep 30, 2013 9:53 PM

Whatever he’s on so is Tebow because apparently it causes your completion percentage to be in the mid-40′s.

5. pftfan says: Sep 30, 2013 9:54 PM

It was Revis! He wants Freeman’s money added to his contract next year.

6. Dennis Allen's Outgoing Persona says: Sep 30, 2013 9:59 PM

After reading that statement, “free falling” by Tom Petty jumped into my head

7. houseofbacon says: Sep 30, 2013 9:59 PM

I bought season tickets this year hoping to watch him lead us to the playoffs. At this point, I just feel terrible for him that he even has to give a statement like this.

I know, he’s an inconsistent passer. He’s also 25 years old and has worked his butt off essentially living at One Buc for five years now. It ends with people “leaking” information about him and trying to embarrass him for having an attention disorder.

I hope he goes somewhere that gives him a real chance to succeed.

8. msclemons67 says: Sep 30, 2013 10:01 PM

Does anyone believe the Adderall defense anymore?

9. treyanastasio says: Sep 30, 2013 10:03 PM

Adderall is the most over-prescribed drug in the country. Give me a break.

10. wipackman1265 says: Sep 30, 2013 10:03 PM

Stick to your story…..

—— Ryan Braun

11. fdugrad says: Sep 30, 2013 10:12 PM

Well, if he possessed and ingested ritalin appropriately and legally, it would require a prescription. How did this “error” take place, unless he was taking the ritalin without a prescription OR, just as inappropriately, taking the ritalin prescribed for someone ELSE? If EITHER of the above happened, then perhaps the drug as WELL as the inappropriate possession/ ingestion might have triggered the inclusion into the program. It’s not as though the “error” could have taken place because a random capsule of ritalin happened to have been included inside the bottle of adderall or something. I am on a lifetime prescription of eyedrops for glaucoma, and I have never by some alignment of the planets dropped even a one-time drop of another type of prescription into my eyes. His explanation does not make common sense, and invites MORE questions.

12. pdillon1 says: Sep 30, 2013 10:13 PM

This dude has gone from looking like the next Ben Rothlisberger to being benched and sounding like he’s could file a lawsuit. How is Greg Schiano still employed??

If I was the Cardinals I’d call Tampa with a 4th round pick to trade right now.

13. bennyb82 says: Sep 30, 2013 10:14 PM

I don’t know why but I hope Schiano leaked it and he gets called out.

14. jraw67 says: Sep 30, 2013 10:24 PM

His use of other recreational drugs is well known in certain circles around Tampa. Don’t believe his BS. This is on him for choices he’s made that have caused him to not be prepared and his play to suffer.

15. fievel03 says: Sep 30, 2013 10:53 PM

Devil’s advocate: What if Freeman, or his people, leaked it? Look at all the venom being spewed at the Bucs organization and Schiano right now. Again, just playing Devil’s Advocate and throwing a “What If?” out there……

16. ronturdgundy says: Sep 30, 2013 10:54 PM

Josh Freeman sounds punitive.

17. seasonticketholdergobucs says: Sep 30, 2013 11:10 PM

@Jraw67 – I want a clear answer to this because I’m tired of hearing the same thing over and over. Does Josh Freeman use Crack Cocaine, Heroine, Ex, Oxy, any other pill that alters your natural state of being used illegally, smoke weed heck smoke cigarettes. What circle is this your referring to? Are you a part of the circle? Did you personally see this use of recreational drugs? Why are you just now mentioning this? And how did Josh pass the drug tests?

18. 4ever9er says: Sep 30, 2013 11:11 PM

@fdugrad says: Sep 30, 2013 10:12 PM

————————————————-
    This is what he said:
    “Well over a year ago, I took a different medication for the same condition (Ritalin rather than Adderall)”
    ————————————————–
    Is it possible that his/or a Doctor gave him the prescription for the Ritalin since it performs the same function, maybe the error was that it was prescribed to him? Also when has anyone who has had a drug problem ever passed 46 random drug test? Come on get real!
    How ironic is it that it’s leaked now? I smell law suit and NFLPA grievance!

19. jerry292 says: Oct 1, 2013 3:05 AM

I bet any money Freeman’s people are leaking this.

20. theawkwardyears says: Oct 1, 2013 7:04 AM

The ironic thing is that if this guy could ball all of these issues would be a mute point. I don’t see anyone looking for dirt on Richard Sherman and he isn’t even prescribed the Adderall he flunked with.

21. hurricanes88 says: Oct 1, 2013 1:17 PM

Moot point, theawkwardyears. Moot. M-O-O-T.

Look it up.

22. granadafan says: Oct 1, 2013 4:55 PM

For once, I’d like to see the media report these statements as, “The agents of [Insert player] wrote a statement on his behalf]”.

When a player can barely string two sentences together, has no concept of proper grammar or the English language, the grammatically correct statements or “apologies” using multi-syllable words sound so completely absurd.

23. rodh32340 says: Oct 1, 2013 11:17 PM

Schiano’s childish powerplay is embarassing to anyone associated with or a fan of the NFL..it isn’t Rutgers and you aren’t irreplaceable!

24. bowsi says: Oct 2, 2013 4:25 PM

Well, with the NFLPA grieving this, I would think the league should be hit with the $500,000 fine. If they want to prove their innocence all they have to do is have ESPN cough up the source. It’s not like we’re in a court of law, this is football and if the NFL wants the source they’ll get it. If they don’t want to know then there’re GUILTY! If Freeman’s group is responsible then four game suspension, it’s really that simple.

25. ravens533 says: Oct 4, 2013 12:33 AM

I really feel for this guy. I am not a Bucs fan but I hate to see someone’s reputation smeared like this. I believe him when he says that he pass all those drug test. The press has totally maligned this guy. I even read an article that said that the Bucs management contacted all 31 teams and there were no takers. No one should have to endure this much harassment.

I hope he lands on his feet some where in the very near future and the press will finally leave him alone.