Report: League considering fines for Wilkerson, Coples for Locker hit

New York Jets v Tennessee Titans Getty Images

Titans quarterback Jake Locker is expected to miss at least a few weeks as a result of the right hip injury he sustained in Sunday’s victory over the Jets and the two guys who hit him on the play could be missing some money from their wallets as a result of the play.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the league is considering fines for Jets defensive ends Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples for their actions on the hit. Wilkerson said after the game that one of the league’s officials told him that he had delivered a legal hit on Locker, who had just delivered a pass, and Locker then came down awkwardly after Coples hit him from the other side.

“If it was late, they would’ve thrown a flag,” Wilkerson said, via Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com. “They didn’t throw a flag. The ref told me it was a clean hit. I took my one step and that was that.”

Anyone who has followed the league knows that the refs determination that something wasn’t a foul has little to do with whether or not the league deems it a finable offense. That said, Coples was the one whose hit on Locker appeared to be a step to far on Sunday.

Wilkerson took one step and hit Locker below the head and neck without using the crown of his helmet to initiate contact with Locker’s right side. Locker spun off that into a hit from Coples on the left side and his right leg, which was planted, folded up under him as he went down. Coples’ hit was later than Wilkerson’s and unnecessary in the course of the play, although we’ll soon find out if the league thinks both players crossed the line.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
26 Responses to “Report: League considering fines for Wilkerson, Coples for Locker hit”
  1. earpaniac says: Sep 30, 2013 11:58 AM

It’s 2 steps away from not being football anymore

2. njgiant1982 says: Sep 30, 2013 11:58 AM

I wouldn’t build a case around what the refs actually did or didn’t call, just BS. It was a late hit and they should be fined for it, like Suh

3. jetslakersfan says: Sep 30, 2013 12:06 PM

This league is becoming a joke.

4. mack2x says: Sep 30, 2013 12:08 PM

Stop fining guys for clean hits and worry about shots like the spearing Bostic gave Durham at the end of the Lions -bears game.

5. nxsteven says: Sep 30, 2013 12:10 PM

Wilkerson legally hit Locker who fell in to Coples who you could see was pulling up.

Locker wasn’t even hit on the hip or leg. It was just an unfortunate play.

With that said, the NFL will surely fine anyone they can, the player will dispute the fine and win, and we can have this same discussion next Monday.

6. jetslakersfan says: Sep 30, 2013 12:12 PM

I been really thinking about canceling my NFL Sunday ticket and I got it free this season. This NFL is starting to get to the point it not worth watching anymore. Ping pong sounds like a good sport to watch instead.

7. sbmcintosh36 says: Sep 30, 2013 12:15 PM

Absurd, these guys are 300lbs running like a track star a foot away what are they supposed to do ????

8. athwartships says: Sep 30, 2013 12:21 PM

I saw absolutely nothing about the hit on Locker that would warrant fines. It is very unfortunate he was so badly injured, but the league is out of it’s money grubbing minds to even consider this course of action.

It sets a terrible precedence. Hey, Roger…how about we just place the quarterbacks in bullet proof Pope bubbles and call it good.

9. godofwine330 says: Sep 30, 2013 12:25 PM

I hate that because someone got hurt there has to be a penalty or a fine. I hate that about football – ahem, NFL football nowadays.

10. headonaswivel says: Sep 30, 2013 12:35 PM

Wilkerson’s hit was a tad late, it was a 50/50 call by the official. But it was illegal according to the rules… From what I understand you can’t lead with your helmet into the quarterback so the play should have been a personal foul.

The Coples one is the one that was blatant. Ball is out, QB is down and he takes a total cheap shot, that was the hit that was pure B.S.

11. nflgerry says: Sep 30, 2013 12:36 PM

The days where we hear about league imposed fines will be coming to an end. Soon, there will be no transparency. The league will stop reporting them and the teams will be prohibited from discussing them. Why? Because the league is on the slippery slope. They’re opening the door to second guessing the officials. If they admit the officials are making so many mistakes, they admit the mistakes have an impact on the outcomes of the games.

12. Stiller43 says: Sep 30, 2013 12:36 PM

SOLELY because locker got hurt. Otherwise its not talked about at all.

nfl is pathetic these days, as are my steelers

13. ghost26 says: Sep 30, 2013 12:38 PM

This is EXACTLY what bothers me about the league right now. If it’s not a penalty on the field & it’s not dirty & it’s a LEGAL hit then how can you fine a player??? Are you going take money away from defenders every time an opposing player gets hurt? That’s nonsense. The NFLPA is doing a terrible job of protecting guys who play defense. If it’s blatant & it’s dirty & it’s unnecessary like that hit by Suh this year then yes fine the guy but if not come on…

This nonsense about protecting QB’s like their made out of porcelain seems to go back to when Brady got hurt. And I’m sure owners like Dan Snyder are pushing for the league to penalize players who tackle RG3 but those owners are missing the BIG picture. They need to recognize that no matter what ‘rules’ are in place for players–injuries will always part of the game. Even in two hand touch great athletes would hurt themselves so let’s avoid going there.

14. terradawg says: Sep 30, 2013 12:39 PM

i counted two steps

15. sparty0n says: Sep 30, 2013 12:49 PM

What about the spearing from the Bears Jon Bostic on Kris Durham?

16. catquick says: Sep 30, 2013 12:52 PM

it was a cheap shot

17. ghost26 says: Sep 30, 2013 12:54 PM

The only thing Goodell or the owners respond to is viewership & ticket sales. Only when thesenumbers start to decline will the owners regret what they turned the sport into which is getting softer by the week. The sad truth is that there seems to be as many people interested in ‘fantasy football’ than the actual games itself. The NFL CLEARLY recognizes this trend & as someone who loves the actual sport I find this troubling. I couldn’t care how many fantasy points Matt Ryan had yesterday or how good he is on Madden. I don’t play fantasy & I don’t play video games. The way I see it–Matt Ryan is not an elite QB (neither is Romo) like Peyton or Brady or Brees or Rodgers & there’s NO WAY the Falcons are making the playoffs this year with that defense.

18. wikipediasaidso says: Sep 30, 2013 1:08 PM

I’m not a fan of the rule, but I’ve seen guys get flagged on the spot and fined later for doing the exact thing Wilkerson did, because he took that extra step after the ball was already out in order to hit the QB. Then you see identical plays (like yesterday) where refs leave the flags in their pockets.

And that’s the worst part: the way it’s so inconsistently enforced. If Wilkerson had done the same thing to Manning or Brady, or even any fairly established, less mobile pocket passer, the flag would’ve probably come out. Guys like Locker rarely get those calls. That’s what sucks about today’s NFL.

Coples made a move to hit Locker but it was almost like you could see him saying “Oh, I better not” just as he made contact so he eased up. Ball was long gone by then,though, so as a defensive player you’re playing with fire to make any kind of contact at that point.

19. BSRadmin says: Sep 30, 2013 1:17 PM

there is no clear line with hits anymore that’s the issue. I blame no ref in these cases because its a lose lose for them

20. mark0226 says: Sep 30, 2013 1:43 PM

I didn’t think twice about the first hit. Very difficult for the defender to stop his momentum. Seemed like a clean hit to me. The second hit was a blatant and unnecessary. Couples was basically standing there as Locker was falling and so, he leaned in to drive his shoulder into him. He wasn’t pulling back as some people said. He even had to bend over to drive his shoulder into him. And I think it was the second hit that caused the twisting of Locker’s body that caused the injury.

21. granadafan says: Sep 30, 2013 2:00 PM

I’m a Jake Locker fan, but that was NOT a dirty hit at all. It was just an unfortunate play when large grown men run into each other.

22. rcp29 says: Sep 30, 2013 2:21 PM

As a Jets fan I can kind of see where they are coming from with Wilkerson, because it did appear there was an extra step involved. At the same time, I don’t know how he would have stopped himself.

With Coples, it looked like he tried to ease up, and he certainly didn’t hit him head on. I know it looked like he lowered his shoulder, but I think he was almost protecting himself at that point as Locker was driven into him.

Either way, it sucks for Locker to be out, and no amount of fines can change that.

Though it might be nice to see some attention paid to the hit that knocked Stephen Hill out of the game, which was a blatant helmet to helmet hit.

23. m3dman3 says: Sep 30, 2013 2:26 PM

I hate the Jets but that was a clean hit, no flags, no suspensions, no fines.

24. wikipediasaidso says: Sep 30, 2013 3:00 PM

=========

I don’t think there’s any doubt they’ll look at that hit and likely fine Michael Griffin. Which is ironic since the biggest complaint most Titans fans have where Griffin is concerned is that most of the time, he acts like hitting people is not really part of his job description.

25. lombardisshineinfoxborough says: Sep 30, 2013 5:58 PM

I admit I hate the Jets, that said, I saw multiple replays from those hits yesterday and am astounded that even the biggest Jets homers would call that play clean??? Wilkerson was definitely late and led with his helmet into Lockers chest. And Coples may have been even taken more of a cheap shot because he purposely angled himself to make contact and give Locker another shot, before making a sad attempt to make it look like he was trying to avoid him.

Rex might want to have a word with them because it looks like the Jets offensive line won’t be able to do much against an opposing defense fired up to exact some revenge on Geno “the human turnover” Smith.

26. swift650 says: Sep 30, 2013 6:12 PM

Nailed It!!!! this is exactly how i saw it.
    rcp29 says: