Schwartz dismisses notion that Idonije tipped Lions off to Chicago’s line calls

Schwartz AP

Lions coach Jim Schwartz has plenty of reasons to be happy, a day after beating the Bears.  On one specific point, however, Schwartz was a little salty.

“I really think that’s ridiculous,” Schwartz said regarding the notion that defensive lineman Israel Idonije tipped his new team off to his old team’s line calls, via Chris McCoskey of the Detroit News.  “I think it takes away from the players that are on the field.  We rushed for a lot of yards because we blocked them and Reggie Bush broke tackles.  To say that Reggie Bush is eight yards behind the quarterback and he can hear what a line call is, I think that’s ridiculous.”

Some Bears players believe Idonije shared the defense’s “power” stunt call with Bush, allowing him to anticipate it — and beat it — every time they used it.

Even if the Lions did it, shame on the Bears for not changing their calls.  They know Idonije plays for the Lions now, and they should have known that he still knows the calls.  (Know what I mean?)

“I’d also like to point out that they signed [former Lions defensive tackle] Landon Cohen last week,” Schwartz said.  “Landon had been here for a long time and we haven’t changed our scheme since Landon was here.  I didn’t see that being a big difference in the game.

“Stuff like that comes up.  It’s just the nature of the NFL.  I like to concentrate on the players on the field and what happened on the field, not stupid stuff like that.  I really don’t think it had any impact at all in the game.”

We realize that Schwartz would want to show that he can win without gimmicks and flukes, whether because of the efforts of the players and/or the quality of the coaching.  Still, drawing out obscure details and putting them to work is part of the coaching, which Schwartz did well enough this week to be selected as the best engineered game plan on both sides of the ball, a weekly segment presented by our friends at Audi.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
46 Responses to “Schwartz dismisses notion that Idonije tipped Lions off to Chicago’s line calls”
  1. michiganstillsucks says: Sep 30, 2013 4:11 PM

Howie Mandell lookalike.

he just oozes slime

2. rickrock6661982 says: Sep 30, 2013 4:12 PM

Just because the 49ers whine doesn’t mean my Bears should. How embarrassing.

BTW Tell that fat oaf Kyle Long to close his mouth and actually block someone. Otherwise he’ll join Tebow and The Crossfire with Michelle Beadle on the unemployment line

– Barack Obama

3. ahs2 says: Sep 30, 2013 4:20 PM

So the Bears complain because we signed Idonije in JUNE but neglect to concede they signed Landon Cohen LAST WEEK!!

4. kennyadler1 says: Sep 30, 2013 4:21 PM

5. cadillacjosh says: Sep 30, 2013 4:23 PM

I think the line is somewhere in the middle. It’d be foolish of The Lions to not use Izzy’s first hand knowledge, but it probably wasn’t as big of a deal as The Bears say.

As a Bear fan, The Lions played better in all 3 phases and deserved the W. It’s about as simple as that.

6. theboondoggles says: Sep 30, 2013 4:26 PM

I love seeing coaches occasionally behaving like actual people. This was a lame excuse from the get-go and its great to see everyone pointing it out as such.

7. lks311 says: Sep 30, 2013 4:39 PM

The Four Stages of Grief…
    Denial: “No way the Lions can beat us w/o cheating.”
    Anger: “Idonijie, tipped them off! Traitior!”
    Depression: “I can’t believe the Lions beat us…I wanna kill myself.”
    Acceptance: “You know what…they’re just better.”

Let’s move on Chicago. You’ve got the Saints to worry about now.

8. tincansailor981 says: Sep 30, 2013 4:55 PM

As if I trust him

9. Deb says: Sep 30, 2013 4:56 PM

It’s not uncommon for teams to pick up scuttled players a week before a big game soley to pump them for intelligence about an upcoming opponent. The Bears know that. They’ve had months to change their calls since Idonije switched teams. Bad enough they didn’t adjust, but worse that they’d draw attention to it by whining about the game outcome.

10. hatesycophants says: Sep 30, 2013 4:58 PM

Alouette, gentile Alouette. Alouette…

11. facetious0ne says: Sep 30, 2013 4:58 PM

If the Lions beat my team, I think I would find a excuse too.

12. larryboodry says: Sep 30, 2013 5:27 PM

“The Four Stages of Grief…

Denial: No way the Lions can beat us w/o cheating.
    Anger: Idonijie, tipped them off! Traitior!
    Depression: I can’t believe the Lions beat us…I wanna kill myself.
    Acceptance: You know what…they’re just better.

Here’s mine:

Acceptance: Hey, we got outplayed by a good team, time to learn from it and move on.

That’s it. Just one stage.

13. larryboodry says: Sep 30, 2013 5:29 PM

And to the Bears who whined about Izzy…Shut up, already. We lost ’cause Jay couldn’t dig himself out of a four turnover hole of his own making. He tried, but it was too late.

14. justorion says: Sep 30, 2013 5:37 PM

Bears need to stop crying, the lack of offense after the first 5 mins until the last 3 mins of the game is why it ended in a loss. I knew the Bears were not gonna stay undefeated for long, I really wanted them to beat the Lions in their stadium.

15. lovethelions says: Sep 30, 2013 5:53 PM

Maybe your coach should change the defensive signals…oh I don’t know, maybe once a year???

16. bennyb82 says: Sep 30, 2013 6:00 PM

“Hmm, Schwartz said Israel didn’t tip them off so I guess we can keep it status quo.”
    -Bears Coaching Staff-

17. couldziggybetheansah says: Sep 30, 2013 6:00 PM

larryboodry says:
    from one Lions fan who appreciates your comments. # respect.
    aka butkus 54.

18. filthymcnasty1 says: Sep 30, 2013 6:14 PM

Congratulations on beating the hapless and tasteless Bears. The Lions now get a real test this weekend, and an opportunity to prove they are a contender.

19. granadafan says: Sep 30, 2013 6:19 PM

“ahs2 says:
    Sep 30, 2013 4:20 PM
    ========================================

Bam, that says it all right there. They should blame themselves for not pumping Cohen for more information instead of a guy signed in June.

20. metalhead65 says: Sep 30, 2013 6:19 PM

could someone please tell the lions you won a week 4 game and not the superbowl? geez I know winning is new around detroit but it was 1 game and wait til next week and you get that familiar losing feeling again. but hey I guess I would celebrate to if I had to live in a corrupt bankrupt dump of a town.

21. eightandeightlions says: Sep 30, 2013 6:43 PM

For the record..

This is not a quote from Bears’ players, this is a hack beat writer that likes to drum up controversy to get himself noticed.

That this story actually somehow got legs is an indication of the Lion fans’ ignorance of all things football.

Second.. It’s one game, there is no reason to get excited over how dominant our Lions team will be this year, Detroit fans never learn from history.

Why is every other Lions fan ignoring the fact that the defense turned into a seive in the fourth quarter, nearly having the largest collapse I have personally ever seen in sports? This was no domination of any sorts, we had a chance to lose the game, despite being up 24 points. Bad coaching, bad execution, same old lions (for the record I hope I am wrong, but Im not)

The general belief among Lions fans is that they clinched the playoffs berth with this win.

22. pappageorgio says: Sep 30, 2013 6:45 PM

As if the Lions really needed a double agent on this one. We play the Bears twice a year….we’ve seen the “power” stunt before. The trick is stopping it, which the Lions did on Sunday. A trick that was made a bit easier with the absence of Melton.

It also helps that the bears have to leave safeties deep. When we play in Chicago later…..the bears could choose to bring a safety down and the “power” stunt will probably slow down Bush more, but CJ will put up more yards.

The lions are going to get their points, it’s Cutler’s job to keep pace…..which obviously didn’t happen on Sunday.

23. squared80 says: Sep 30, 2013 6:51 PM

Schwartz is the least disciplined coach in the NFL, so it’s no surprise that the Lions are the least disciplined team in the NFL. Both are reasons the Lions won’t win a playoff game with him at the helm.

24. 26predator says: Sep 30, 2013 6:55 PM

Because it had nothing to do with getting completely housed on offense, defense and special teams after Forte’s touchdown run.

25. dabearsdaboozedababes says: Sep 30, 2013 6:59 PM

somebody likes ncis a little to much….4 stages of grief..
    lol

26. larryboodry says: Sep 30, 2013 7:20 PM

So now I’m hearing that Michael Wright may have made up the whole thing. And funny how he says ‘a few Bears players’ but doesn’t bother to name them.

27. GenXJay says: Sep 30, 2013 7:24 PM

uhhh, filthy, you realize that the lions are playing a 1-2 losing schism of a so called team next.

28. liontomyself says: Sep 30, 2013 8:01 PM

GenX……uhhhh….I believe what filthy means is that GB is coming off a bye….is at home and is hungry for a win in order to get back into the “mix”…..plus, there is the lil fact that the Lions have not won there in 2 decades……one game at a time…..mmmmmkay pumpkin?

29. lks311 says: Sep 30, 2013 8:23 PM

eightandeightlions says:
    Sep 30, 2013 6:43 PM
    For the record..
    “This was no domination of any sorts, we had a chance to lose the game, despite being up 24 points. Bad coaching, bad execution, same old lions (for the record I hope I am wrong, but Im not)”
    ———
    Were you watching the game? Two top CBs go down. Bell stripped (albeit his fault) while holding on to the ball with two arms. But, bottom line, some fans may be giddy, but the word was the players expected to win. Those are the only guys are care whose attitude to check.

30. blackhawks2010 says: Sep 30, 2013 11:58 PM

Lions won because Cutler turned the ball over to the Lions 3 times in scoring position which amounted to 17 points. Game is over, move on.

When you give up 17 points on turnovers, you lose games in the NFL.

31. eightandeightlions says: Oct 1, 2013 12:18 AM

lks311 says: Sep 30, 2013 8:23 PM

eightandeightlions says:
    Sep 30, 2013 6:43 PM
    For the record..
    ———

———————————————————
    Even if you run out of players to take the field, any team that gives up that many points in that short of a time period, no matter the situation has issues. The stupid coach was calling passing plays, stopping the clock, because he is arrogant and stupid. The defense thought the game was already over.

We barely won…you may not agree, but that is a fact. The score at the end is the only thing that matters, unless I am mistaken. The Lions had a heck of a second quarter, that much was dominant, but as always, they only played for three quarters. Anyone remember this issue from last year? If it wasn’t for a couple lucky bounces of fumbled balls this would have been a loss. If the Bears kept their game plan from previous games this would have been a loss. If this game was anywhere other than Ford Field (engineered to reflect noise down to the players), against a brand new Chicago OL squad, it would have been a loss.

Other than the addition of Reggie Bush I see nothing whatsoever to get any more excited for than previous seasons. The fact the the Lions fans that seem to disappear for years at a time, only to re-appear when they win a couple games, are talking smack is all I need to hear. The season is lost, as it always is. Over-celebrate while you can, this game signaled the end of Det’s season, I really do believe that. There are way too many issues for the Lions to succeed, and that is before any injury that would take place in the next 13 weeks.

The last time this situation happened, which, by the way, is the only other game in Stafford’s CAREER that he beat a winning team, there was a second game in Chicago. Does anyone remember how that one ended? If you think THIS game was domination, what would you call that second game in Chicago? That is what awaits you over-hype smack talkers.. After that, all the fair weather Lions fans will disappear, yet again, leaving the sensible ones of us behind to weep.

32. faulkn22 says: Oct 1, 2013 5:49 AM

If I were Seattle, I would keep Detroit in the back of my mind too. Detroit beat them last year, without Bush.

33. gmsingh says: Oct 1, 2013 7:49 AM

> As a Bears fan….I wouldn’t blame Israel for doing that and I would expect him to do that…..I would also expect the Bears staff to mix it up a little bit in anticipation of him doing that…..guarantee you that Belichick mixes up signs/signals when facing former players…..

Interesting example, using the guy that had the biggest bust for cheating in NFL history.

34. bearshaterseverywhere says: Oct 1, 2013 11:13 AM

0-16 and 4-12 seasons, no control over his dirty aggressive players. Talk about skating by, Lions are garbage. 13-4 against the Bears since 2005, learn what actual dominance is goofy kitty fans….

35. rl7911 says: Oct 1, 2013 12:24 PM

bearshaters, the Lions have made the playoffs the exact same amount of times as the Bears over the past 20 years. Keep talking about how great the Bears are…lol Not to mention, the Lions have made the playoffs more recently.

Face it Bears fans, the Bears hired a CFL coach that isn’t even smart enough to know to change the signals. Talk about stupid…

36. deweyaxewound says: Oct 1, 2013 1:32 PM

By the sheer law of averages, we all knew EVENTUALLY the Lions had to win one against the Bears.

They saying that comes immediately to mind is:

“Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.”

Add in the fact that it was a home game, on a day when Cutler threw 4 picks and gave up 17 points in the second quarter, and the Bears had just lost their keystone DT.

The Lions played well, the Bears (Cutler, especially) played like crap. But consider this: on the Lions’ best day, and the Bears’ worst – the best they could do is a win by one TD?

I’m not worried about the Lions – a team that undisciplined and that poorly coached won’t handle winning any better than they’ve handled ALL the losing that they’ve done – I expect things to tank soon, so enjoy this moment of delusion while it lasts.

In fact, Lions will be lucky to win even 1 or 2 of their next 4 games:

@GB
    @Browns
    Bengals
    Cowboys

37. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 1, 2013 5:58 PM

The Lions aren’t known primarily for choking – like the Bears are.

38. bearshaterseverywhere says: Oct 1, 2013 6:13 PM

rl7911 says:
    Oct 1, 2013 12:24 PM

———————————————-

Marc Trestman’s Resume 1981-to current. 4 years in the CFL which won 2 championships back to back. Read up on Trestman cause his resume blows Schwartz’s away. Playoff appearances are irrelevant if you don’t win the Super bowl. The Bears have been whooping the Lions since 2005…….

You were saying something about stupid…….You guys are all still sour Cause the Blackhawks knocked your only TRUE talent of a team off their pedestal…

University of Miami (VC/QB)
    Minnesota Vikings (RB)
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers (QB)
    Cleveland Browns (QB/OC)
    Minnesota Vikings (QB)
    San Francisco 49ers (OC & QB)
    Detroit Lions (QB)
    Arizona Cardinals (OC & QB)
    Oakland Raiders (QB/OC)
    Miami Dolphins (AHC)
    North Carolina State (OC)
    Montreal Alouettes (Head Coach)
    Chicago Bears (Head Coach)

39. bearshaterseverywhere says: Oct 1, 2013 6:15 PM

Trestman has Superbowl rings, which the Lions still don’t, lol! He was your QB coach one year……yep talk about stupid!!!

40. bgriffin09 says: Oct 2, 2013 12:06 AM

“The Roarin’ Four!” – Lions D Front

boom. coined.

41. bgriffin09 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:17 AM

or…

“The ‘Mane’ Front!”

(you gotta admit that’s pretty good)

42. bgriffin09 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:25 AM

“The Lion’s Mane Front does it again..”

“They’ll be tested next week against the Lion’s Mane Front…”

“That Lion’s defense, anchored by their Mane Front in Ziggy Ansah, etc…”

“Quarterbacks have nightmare’s about being attacked by this Mane Front of Lions..”

“What is a Lion without it’s Mane? And what are the Lions without their Mane Front!”

– This name has legendary potential.

If anyone asks, Brad Griffin coined it. ProFootballTalk made it famous.

43. bgriffin09 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:53 AM

I asked one of my friends what he thought, he said…

“I love the Mane.”

There’s an abbreviation already…

44. bgriffin09 says: Oct 2, 2013 10:01 AM

“The Front Roar.”

45. bgriffin09 says: Oct 2, 2013 6:08 PM

These dislikes are obviously Bear’s fans…
    A Lions fan would make another suggestion.

46. bgriffin09 says: Oct 2, 2013 6:26 PM