Sherman said he had pick-six on same play Friday

Richard Sherman AP

Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman forced overtime with style, with his one-shoe interception return for a touchdown.

And he was able to do so, he said, having done it two days prior.

Sherman said the play had been drawn up in practice Friday exactly as the Texans ran it (though he didn’t specify which Seahawk played the role of a panicky Matt Schaub making a terrible throw).

I knew it was coming,” Sherman said, via Angel Verdejo of the Houston Chronicle. “I picked the same play against our scout team on Friday. . . .

“Make the play. It’s like you get on a fastbreak and there’s a layup for the game-winner. You still have to make it. You still have to make the play. It’s not like the ball is going to get in the hoop.”

That Sherman did, and Schaub didn’t, speaks to the trajectories of the two teams.

After falling into an early hole, the Seahawks defense stiffened in the second half. Of the eight Texans possessions in the second half and overtime, six ended in punts and two turnovers.

That speaks to the preparation involved, as well as Sherman hitting his layup when he saw the open lane.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
48 Responses to “Sherman said he had pick-six on same play Friday”
  1. logicalvoicesays says: Sep 30, 2013 9:49 AM

The Seahawks will never win a Superbowl. #Wehavethreeofthose

2. osiris33 says: Sep 30, 2013 9:49 AM

The reason Sherman is a great player & the Seahawks are a great team is because of the hard work and preparation they put into each. They knew that play was coming and were ready for it. They made Schaub panic by putting the heat on him. This is how great teams with great coaches win tough 10AM games other teams would lose.

3. watermelon1 says: Sep 30, 2013 9:52 AM

Texans need to make the change at quarterback RIGHT NOW.

This is at least the second game they should have won but didn’t because of the ineptness of Schaub.

Please don’t waste the twilight of Andre Johnson’s career with more Schaub.

They finally got some other receivers but Schaub just isn’t getting it done.

Th Yates. Tim Tebow. Anyone… Just make the change.

4. kidsamoa260 says: Sep 30, 2013 9:55 AM

Sherman hit the game winner. And Revis got burned for the game loser.

5. iceshocker says: Sep 30, 2013 9:56 AM

So what he’s basically saying is matt schaub makes decisions as bad as the scout qb.

6. tmac2001 says: Sep 30, 2013 9:59 AM

The funny thing before that play, my lady friend had her Texan shirt on and was talking noise. I told her it was time for Sherman to make a play. All of the sudden, Schaub was in trouble and threw that pass and you know the rest, Sherman intercepted it and went into the end zone. She got in her vehicle and left for Houston. The Texans were duped with a double digit lead and could not hold onto it. The Seahawks are who they are (Hawks) Pete Carroll, I just love his swagger, those players are very aggressive and you can tell that they really believe that they can beat anybody out there. Love me some R Sherman.

7. idonthavethebloodyoucrave says: Sep 30, 2013 10:12 AM

LOL! MEvis got smoked by Fitzgerald on the game winning TD! LOL!

8. athwartships says: Sep 30, 2013 10:13 AM

Great play by Sherman, but I don’t agree that Schaub needs to be replaced. More and more every year, fans patience with players shrinks more. They seem to think its easy to just plug in the next guy and solve all their woes.

….and who burns $100 jerseys in the parking lot? Have stadium patrons of NFL turned into soccer hooligans?

9. eatitfanboy says: Sep 30, 2013 10:14 AM

I’ve never seen a player fold more quickly and completely under the most remote signs of pressure like Matt Schaub does. When things are rolling downhill, like they were in the first half yesterday, he looks great. But as soon as the defense makes the slightest adjustment to get pressure on him and/or seizes the slightest bit of momentum, it’s over. They could have played 6 more quarters and he wouldn’t have led the Texans to any more points. That pick six was one of the worst plays I’ve ever seen a QB make, and for him to essentially blame the coaching staff for calling the play afterward was disgraceful. Houston, you’ve got a problem.

10. jetsmmt says: Sep 30, 2013 10:19 AM

Wasn’t this the guy who got torched by Julio Jones in the playoffs last year? Way overrated.

11. seatownballers says: Sep 30, 2013 10:19 AM

Thanks for your opinion logicaltroll. Your team barely beat
    Oakland, so come back to reality. When Seattle loses games, we face the facts, and change our play calling. But you logicaltroll blame the refs and Godell for every loss. So Get your excuses ready, because the skins will not make it to the playoffs this year chump.

#trylivinginthepresent

12. thepftpoet says: Sep 30, 2013 10:20 AM

I bet that adderol really helped Sherman focus to get that interception

13. overweightman says: Sep 30, 2013 10:25 AM

Schaub went full blown bald after that game yesterday.

14. jbl429 says: Sep 30, 2013 10:30 AM

logicalvoicesays says:
    Sep 30, 2013 9:49 AM
    The Seahawks will never win a Superbowl. #Wehavethreeofthose

—–

Keep talking. #myteamhas4

15. steelerben says: Sep 30, 2013 10:33 AM

tmac2001 says:
    Sep 30, 2013 9:59 AM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Big props for being more psyched about your team scoring than the chance of scoring yourself. Individual stats don’t matter for fans either, amirite?

16. jiveturkeygobbler says: Sep 30, 2013 10:33 AM

Sherman is a chump. No character, cheating blowhard. Oh, Larry Fitzgerald will smoke any corner in the league, past or present, no question about it.

17. blacknole08 says: Sep 30, 2013 10:35 AM

Sherman is by far the best shut down corner in the league right now. Love him or hate him he makes plays when the game is on the line.

18. wilsonwillbreaku says: Sep 30, 2013 10:36 AM

I think the play call was worse than the throw. Sherm basically took it right out of his hands. With that D and those RBs, why isn’t Kubiak grinding out the clock with what was an effective ground attack all game long?

19. trollhammer20 says: Sep 30, 2013 10:43 AM

Last year, this team found ways to lose road games they probably should have won (Miami, Detroit).

This year, it’s still early, but they just found a way to win a game they probably should not have.

To discount it as all Schaub’s one mistake is a grave disservice. They held Houston scoreless after halftime. The offense, struggling behind a patchwork line, had to fight and claw their way to a 14 play, 98 yard drive that featured two “skin of their teeth” conversions just to make it a one-score game, and also had to finish in overtime.

Even if Schaub throws it away or takes a sack, Seattle would have had 2:40 to play and two timeouts. Houston would have been in a much better position to win, obviously….but victory would not have been guaranteed.

20. 49erstim says: Sep 30, 2013 10:56 AM

It’s an easy formula to articulate, but a hard one to pull off unless you have the talent. That is “Get pressure on subpar QBs and they will make critical errors. ” joining a cult and drinking the free kool-aid is a better decision than that debacle Schaub came up with. That didn’t just happen though. The ‘Hawks got great pressure on a QB that is KNOWN to make bad decisions in that situation. It took grit to hang around and be in that situation after rough sledding in the first half. This Seattle team is not unbeatable, but they are playing good football right now. Great road win.

It’s a little disappointing to see Seahawks fans so fixated on the 49ers after a great win like this though. It’s starting to border on obsession. Take your win and move on……also….ignore that fake ‘Skins fan. Use him only as comedic relief. He posts as a fan of many teams and that probably includes a Hawks fan. The dude is a troll and not worthy of anybody elses time.

21. peehergriphon says: Sep 30, 2013 11:00 AM

Shetman’s payday is coming soon. Revis will be jealous…

22. slbasegame257 says: Sep 30, 2013 11:06 AM

So on the same day that Sheman scores on a game changing pick six, Revis gives up a game winning TD. Is there any doubt left about who is better?

23. jiminauburn says: Sep 30, 2013 11:06 AM

logicalvoicesays says: #Wehavethreeofthose

You sure are proud of those three losses.

24. 8to80texansblog says: Sep 30, 2013 11:08 AM

Sherman was getting owned most of the day. As was the Seattle D for the most part. He made a great play on the ball and with the open field in front of him you knew he was going to score as soon as he grabbed that ball.

I agree with @wilsonwillbreaku. Should have run the ball there. Force them to use a timeout should you not make the first down and use Lechler to pin em deep.

Then you’re talking about just over 2 minutes to go the length of the field to tie it. The D was playing lights out most of the day and chances are the Texans hold on. They did the ONE thing they couldn’t do and that was give up a pick 6 to tie the game.

25. sethandfalon says: Sep 30, 2013 11:12 AM

logicalvoicesays says:
    Sep 30, 2013 9:49 AM
    The Seahawks will never win a Superbowl. #Wehavethreeofthose
    ———————-
    How can a logical voice make such a superlative statement with certainty? That defies logic! I would say that they most definitely will win this year, though they seem to be on course to make it. But the NFL rarely plays out like we imagine in week 4 so who knows. I like their chances. BTW…
    #HashtagFail
    #LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

26. sethandfalon says: Sep 30, 2013 11:17 AM

49erstim says:
    Sep 30, 2013 10:56 AM

——————–

Who was fixated on the Niners? I haven’t seen that from our fans and actually heard about Niner fans @ STL chanting “Seahawks suck” after they won Thursday. We’re in your heads more than you are in ours. For me, I care about my team taking care of business each week and fixing the mistakes to be the best at the end of the season and secure the #1 seed.

27. wilsonwillbreaku says: Sep 30, 2013 11:18 AM

@49erstim

I get what you’re saying, but you have some obsessive fans of your own. It’s all in good fun. I respect the talent level of the niners and that’s why it’s so much fun beating them. Can’t wait to see you at Candlestick. Hopefully both teams are back at full strength by then.

Go Hawks!

28. douglasmark85 says: Sep 30, 2013 11:41 AM

This was an amazing game. I have made a vow to ignore the Trolls. I don’t understand why anyone but a Texan or Seahawk fan would post here. If it wasn’t your team that played shouldn’t you be commenting elsewhere. Anyway, as a HAWK fan, I am only going to comment where it concerns my team or the foe we faced or will be facing. Houston played a great game; Indy here we come. Go HAWKS!

29. 49erstim says: Sep 30, 2013 12:25 PM

@sethandfallon….. it was more about yesterdays article. I agree with wilsonwillbreakyou that it does work both ways. Don’t get me wrong, I like to see division opponents lose, but I’ve got no problem praising when I see good things happen. Do I think Schaub screwed up royal? Oh yeah! Do I think he did it from a clean pocket because he is terrible QB? Nope. That was a great defensive effort. I’m still not completely sold on Seattle as a road team, but yesterday proved that they have the heart to grind out a road victory against a good team….. I still don’t like Richard Sherman though……respect the talent though. :-D

30. dutchkindelberger says: Sep 30, 2013 12:28 PM

@jbl429:

“Keep talking. #myteamhas4″

Actually the Redskins have 5 NFL Championships.

5 is greater than 4.

@Seatownballers:

“Congratulations on your sb rings that ya won in the eighties, but they are dusty and made of fools gold.
    We all remember watching them win, we saw on our black and white tv’s before they had color.”

Dusty and fools gold is better than no gold, right?

You only had black and white TV in the ’80’s? Wow, I knew the Pacific Northwest was a little behind the times, but I had no idea how behind.

Do you know what a cell phone is?

31. BSRadmin says: Sep 30, 2013 1:21 PM

I don’t see this as a shot at Schaub more of Sherman’s intense film study and the redundant Texans Offense. Schaub had no chance on that play he forced the ball but if he doesn’t he gets sacked.

32. usdcoyotesfan says: Sep 30, 2013 2:21 PM

All these teams have 3-5 rings? That’s cute. Check back with me when you have 13.
    #GoPackGo

33. thedanceface says: Sep 30, 2013 2:41 PM

Watch Sherman get fined for the logo on his sock.

34. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 30, 2013 2:48 PM

watermelon1 says: Sep 30, 2013 9:52 AM

Texans need to make the change at quarterback RIGHT NOW.

Please don’t waste the twilight of Andre Johnson’s career with more Schaub.

They finally got some other receivers but Schaub just isn’t getting it done.

Th Yates. Tim Tebow. Anyone… Just make the change.
    ——————————
    The Texans should be 0-4. after the Titans and Bolts dribbled the game away and gave the Texans lob passes to steal the games on the final play. They aren’t that good at all. Schaub has always been overrated, people are just now getting it, despite the front running ways of the Texans and the stat-padding and compiling that Schaub has done with a fail-safe offense.

Sherman proved once again that he is the best CB in the NFL, and Pat Peterson is second best, while Larry Fitzgerald abused Revis all game yesterday, when Carson Palmer wasn’t throwing the ball away.

35. eatitfanboy says: Sep 30, 2013 2:55 PM

douglasmark85 says:
    Sep 30, 2013 11:41 AM
    ===

Please tell me you’re kidding. This has to the dumbest post I have ever seen on this site.

Don’t you understand that there are people out there who are simply fans of FOOTBALL and don’t live and die with one team and actually have opinions about all of the games?

I don’t have a team, and my Sunday consists of 7 hours of the Red Zone Channel. I see every big play of every game, and if I want to comment on something I saw in the game involving “your” team, I think I will just go ahead and do that, thank you very much.

36. ydousuk says: Sep 30, 2013 3:25 PM

steelerben says: Sep 30, 2013 10:33 AM

tmac2001 says:
    Sep 30, 2013 9:59 AM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

———————————————————–
    Steelerben, your team is 0-4, amirite?

37. raideralex99 says: Sep 30, 2013 3:36 PM

That 15 yd penalty is what actually won the game.

38. shlort says: Sep 30, 2013 3:40 PM

The Texans gift wrapped that W for the Seahawks.

It is rare to see that kind of thing happen, but it comes around every few years. The Seahawks have been gifted a couple wins over the past couple years. It’ll catch up to them in the end. Live by the miracle, die by the miracle.

39. shootermcgavin206 says: Sep 30, 2013 3:58 PM

Seahawks win at home: “They can’t win on the road”

Seahawks win on the road: “The other team gave them the game”

What is it about 49er TROLLS? Now there are some good 49er fans who will talk in good competitive spirit (much respect to REAL 49er fans, not the ones that disappeared when they were at the bottom of the NFC west for years and then resurfaced in 2012)

Notice how at halftime of this game 49er trolls (not fans) were going crazy on these blogs about how Seahawks suck on the road. Then they go silent until a few hours after the Seahawks came back and won. Now all I hear is “well we got more super bowls than you”. STOP living in the past. You have great history, every football fan loved the Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Steve Young era. We ALL did. But times have changed. Bragging about what happened 20-30 years ago won’t change the fact your team is 2-2 as of today. The only fans that should be bragging about a super bowl is Ravens fans because they won the most recent.

We know, the seahawks haven’t won a SB yet. Cool. We haven’t been fortunate enough to have right pieces in place like we do now. That’s not our fault as fans, but you know what, we pack that stadium every sunday and create the best atmosphere in the NFL. With a good or bad team out there. We been doing it for years. It’s well known and documented that Seahawks fans have been the loudest in the business since the Kingdome days. Nothing new.

Some 49er troll said all seahawks fans are “classless”. First of all, EVERY fan base has trolls, doesn’t mean every one of them is. I, for one, embrace the Hawks-Niners rivalry. It’s the best in football. But:

1) Did you not see your fan base chant “Seahawks suck” after beating the RAMS? After thursday night football? It was on NATIONAL TELEVISION. I dont want to hear anything about being classless from a niner fan. You guys completely embarrassed yourself.

2) I’ll take it as a compliment that your so worried about what the Seahawks are doing, that you will actually chant those words after losing 42-13 and 29-3 the past two games. And the game you did win at home last year was 13-6, when Russell Wilson wasn’t unleashed yet. I’d be very concerned come December 8th for the rematch in ‘Frisco.

3) Go Hawks!

40. shootermcgavin206 says: Sep 30, 2013 4:10 PM

For those that say “Matt Schaub gave the Seahawks the game”

How about using your football intellect to actually THINK about what happened?

1) The Seahawks defense put PRESSURE on Schaub to force the throw, it’s not like Schaub just sat there and said “Hey Sherman, here’s a gift, go tie the game”. No he was FORCED into that throw by the Seahawks pressure.

2) Richard Sherman knew that play was coming based off preparation, knowing his assignment and where the ball was going to be. Don’t blame the Seahawks for noticing the Texans’ traits. Tell Gary Kubiak and company to stop being so damn predictable.

3) The seahawks defense shut the texans down in the second half. They didn’t score. That’s the defense we all know, if only we played like that from the start (Not making excuses, just saying it could’ve been better). But we still got the job done and that’s all that matters. You can give up 75 points, if you score 76, you win.

4) The texans didn’t “blow the game”. The seahawks OUTPLAYED them in second half, you know, when the game matters the most? The defense made adjustments at halftime and Russell Wilson made plays in the clutch. Deny it all you want, but that’s what happened.

5) The 15 yard penalty wasn’t a gift, go look at the replay. The play was OVER. If someone did that to your WR in that situation you’d jump thru the TV for a penalty. Stop making excuses and tell the BONEHEAD to let him go when the play is over.

6) Seahawks 23, Texans 20. That’s all that matters. You can say what you want, but a win is a win.

41. 49erstim says: Sep 30, 2013 4:19 PM

@eatitfanboy…….completely agree. I watch as much NFL football as possible and enjoy commenting on other games I watched. Just because SF didn’t play on Sunday does not mean I wasn’t watching games. I have a close knit group of friends and I’m the only 9er fan. We watch games together all the time. So this numbskull above thinks I can’t comment on those games? Lol…get real.

42. 49erstim says: Sep 30, 2013 4:31 PM

@shootermcgavin……pretty much agree all the way around, but I think I’ll wait a week to call Kubiak ok? Lol.also too many trolls on bot sides. Rams or Texans you NEVER apologize for a good clean win.

43. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 30, 2013 4:59 PM

raideralex99 says: Sep 30, 2013 3:36 PM

That 15 yd penalty is what actually won the game.
    ————-

It was so bogus, the ball wasn’t even catchable SMH.

44. douglasmark85 says: Sep 30, 2013 5:11 PM

eatitfanboy says: Sep 30, 2013 2:55 PM

douglasmark85 says:
    Sep 30, 2013 11:41 AM
    ===

_________________________________
    I was referring to the trolls but I will take my lumps for being inarticulate.

45. juliusanonymous says: Sep 30, 2013 5:27 PM

Pfffffft. Laughing at Redskin and 49er fans commenting on the Seahawks.

The Seahawks have destroyed the Redskins the last 3 times they made the playoffs, so please spare me the ring talk. It’s just silly. Seahawk fans laugh at the Redskins, you’re like an amateur team to us. As long as we’re in the playoffs, you will NEVER win another ring. So enjoy those 30+ year old memories with the Niner fans.

Niner fans talking about how WE are obsessed with them? That’s HILARIOUS. They’re chanting our name while we’ve moved on and forgotten all about them.

42-13. 29-3. You have to be a threat to be a rival. The 49ers are no threat to Seattle. Every time we play you, it’s like watching Fedor Emelianenko vs Pee Wee Herman in an MMA cage match, with Pee Wee bragging about his success in the 1980’s after getting pummeled and hauled off on a stretcher. Pathetic.

Even more pathetic is how all you Niner fans were so quiet until you finally beat a terrible Rams fans, now you’re out talking trash again. LOL. I can’t wait for the next beatdown, it’s going to be awesome watching Harbaugh have a nationally televised meltdown while Kaepernick runs off the field again, refusing to shake hands, before the clock is even at 0:00.

46. dougchvrs says: Sep 30, 2013 6:39 PM

@WEHAVE3OFTHOSE: sPOKEN LIKE A WELL INFORMED…………………………………moron!!…………go 4-0 hawks…winners of last 7 road games!!!!!!!!

47. txnative61 says: Oct 1, 2013 2:24 AM

There was a safety blitz called on Sherman’s int as well, and he was in Schaub’s face, leaving him to take a sack, or throw the bad pass. The real story is the play was predictable and predicted in that situation, and Schaub correctly criticized the call. Wilson started slow under constant pressure, and found the composure to counter it when it counted. Schaub was the opposite. It’s perfectly obvious on early starts, west coast teams (not just the Seahawks) body clocks do not wake up until the second half. The only reason the 49ers caught the Falcons last playoffs in Atlanta was an 11:00 AM PT start, when the Seahawks had to start at 10:00 AM PT against them. Don’t see why they aren’t put in the late slot when traveling East?

48. chawk12thman says: Oct 1, 2013 12:06 PM

Great Read today with all the comments. As a Hawk Fan it is great that so many are taking the time to comment pro and con about the team, each and every day. Being relavant and in the SB Discussion is always more exciting than trying to be the spoiler. Hope it continues………