Skip to content

Malcom Floyd’s agent says he’s done for the year

San Diego Chargers v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

When word of the Chargers signing wide receiver Lavelle Hawkins broke on Tuesday, it was easy to speculate that Malcom Floyd’s neck injury was the reason for the move.

It’s not looking like speculation any longer. Floyd’s agent Buddy Baker sent out a tweet offering thanks for the good wishes sent Floyd’s way after he was injured in Week Two and announced that his client was not going to play again this season. Baker said Floyd would “be back and stronger than ever next season.”

Anyone who saw the scene in Philly that day won’t be surprised to hear that it was the last play of the year for Floyd. The good news for Floyd is that the injury wasn’t more severe — Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports reports he won’t need surgery — and that Floyd will have the chance to resume his playing career in 2014.

Floyd’s the second Chargers receiver to suffer a season-ending injury since the start of camp. He joins Danario Alexander as an expected top contributor out of the lineup, but the good news for the Chargers is that the Philip Rivers-led passing game looked pretty good without either one of them on the field last Sunday.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
13 Responses to “Malcom Floyd’s agent says he’s done for the year”
  1. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 1, 2013 6:19 PM

    Just not needed. I hate this for him. They get Brown back after missing him last year, and now Danario and Floyd are out. It’s Royal, Brown, Gates and that new kid now.

  2. National Fanatic says: Oct 1, 2013 6:19 PM

    Wish you well M80!

  3. samquix says: Oct 1, 2013 6:21 PM

    That hurts. Floyd was a pretty dependable guy. Glad to see the neck injury isn’t more severe. U can only go “next man up” so many times before you’re playing with bums.

  4. doctorrustbelt says: Oct 1, 2013 6:27 PM

    Get Well, Malcolm.

  5. mrgroovesd says: Oct 1, 2013 6:28 PM

    Damn! Both big targets for Rivers is out this year. Danario and M80! Hopefully Hawkins can step in and fill the void and Allen, Royal, Brown and Tutu step up.

  6. dannymac17 says: Oct 1, 2013 7:02 PM

    Your health is more important than rushing back to the field.

    Get well Malcom. Come back stronger next year. We know you can.

  7. chargersdiehard says: Oct 1, 2013 7:15 PM

    Good thing Rivers is good at dealing with a turnstyle on the reciever chart. Sone qbs have the same wrs for years and still suck.

  8. carlsbadboltfan says: Oct 1, 2013 7:24 PM

    Rivers seems to be adjusting well to this. Royal’s been a stud. Gates has always been a stud. Allen is finding his way and Brown is back. Throw in Woodhead (2 TD’s vs. Dallas) and Rivers knows how to work it.

  9. thegronk87 says: Oct 1, 2013 8:22 PM

    I hate these injuries

  10. titaniksigh says: Oct 1, 2013 8:30 PM

    Sucks for anyone to have to sit out a season. I hope Hawkins does well in SD however. He’s a hard-working guy who was well-liked in TN.

  11. goawayeverybody says: Oct 1, 2013 10:16 PM

    His injury looked very scary and was really hard to watch. I’m so glad to hear that Malcom is going to be okay and won’t need surgery.

  12. footballwithoutpolitics says: Oct 2, 2013 5:12 AM

    Choo choo! :)

  13. yourmomsnewfriend says: Oct 2, 2013 10:13 AM

    Done for the season? Or done for good? The guy was one of the most dependable set of hands on that team. He could come down with the most amazing catches. But that’s likely one of the reasons why he has never played a full season in his career. He’s clearly a bit fragile, and when you combine that with a fearless playing style, that just doesn’t equal a healthy NFL career.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!