Burleson disputes suggestion his car crash was alcohol related

Burleson AP

It was inevitable, we suppose, that someone would suggest Lions receiver Nate Burleson’s recent automobile accident was less about a dropped pizza and more about an increased blood-alcohol concentration.  As it turns out, the suggestion originally came from someone who witnessed Burleson in the moments after the wreck.

Per TMZ, a driver who called 911 after the crash said Burleson “was losing his balance” and “appeared to be intoxicated.”

“If I had my guess, I’d say he’s drunk,” the caller said.

“I was completely coherent,” Burleson said in response.  “I was trying to grasp what was going on at the moment. . . .  My arm was broken so that may cause you to stumble, but it was not alcohol-related at all.”

Coincidentally (or not), Burleson has posted on his Instagram account photos of the crashed car and the pizza that caused it, explaining that “I’m releasing these pix for 2 reasons: 1) I walked away from a totalled vehicle #Blessed 2) I have to hear all the pizza jokes.”

Reseason No. 3 likely was/is that Burleson realizes people will think he may be the latest pro athlete to tell something other than the truth regarding the circumstances surrounding an injury, whether it’s tripping over a dog or slipping on a McDonald’s bag or any other explanation that ended up being something other than the real explanation.

The good news for Burleson is that it’s too late for anything to be done about the situation in a court of law, given that he wasn’t asked to submit to breath testing.  The bad news for Burleson is that some in the court of public opinion will believe that there were more substances at work than cheese and pepperoni, regardless of what the truth may be.

The best news for Burleson is that, based on the pictures of the wreckage, the outcome could have been a lot worse than a broken arm.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
53 Responses to “Burleson disputes suggestion his car crash was alcohol related”
  1. lionsfan54 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:17 PM

“The good news for Burleson is that it’s too late for anything to be done about the situation in a court of law.”

Too late? He didn’t do anything wrong. Talk about a leading sentence!

2. don2074978 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:17 PM

The effects of a car crash can be stunning to your brain. Usually it wears off quickly.

3. getsome99 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:19 PM

He was probably just high on marijuana.

4. natelan69 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:20 PM

Innocent until proven guilty. Please do not convict this man based on what some unnamed source told TMZ.

5. marvsleezy says: Oct 2, 2013 1:22 PM

Theres got to be a police report out there where he had to take a breathalyzer right?

Also, doesn’t a late night pizza run lead you to think more about marijuana and not alcohol?

6. zappa69 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:22 PM

I posted that this morning. Friend of Brother was on scene. He said they thought he was intoxicated, but was able to answer questions and after a couple of minutes of him getting himself together they said he was fine. Crash, broken arm can cause some confusion. But of course you have blocked my posts so I’m wasting my time writing this.

7. harrisonhits2 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:23 PM

Didn’t the police say there was no alcohol involved ?

When you crash a car and break your arm you get this thing called shock which can easily make you stagger around and slur your speech during its initial effects.

I don’t normally defend players in a situation like this but this accident seems to be just that, an accident.

8. bennyb82 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:24 PM

If they thought he was drunk, they would have given him a breathalyzer.

9. skittlesareyum says: Oct 2, 2013 1:24 PM

The caller probably just assumed he was drunk, because drunk driving is far too common.

10. pkrlvr says: Oct 2, 2013 1:26 PM

I don’t know about the rest of you but the only time I’m eating pizza at dawn is if I’ve been up all night partying. My guess is the Detroit cops looked the other way….

11. saintsfan1111 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:29 PM

Anyone believes this I have a bridge for them to buy in Brooklyn.

12. lionsblood73 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:30 PM

I to would “lose my balance” if I just wrecked my car and broke my arm!! I’m sure TMZ made up that crap to get press. That show is a joke!!

13. darthraven887 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:35 PM

I’d be pretty shaken up if my arm was broken also.

14. linemanguy74 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:37 PM

Detriot and Green Bay you know the cops are going to look the other way

15. kuya206 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:37 PM

I believe Burleson. Next!

16. britishteeth says: Oct 2, 2013 1:38 PM

Lucky for him the hooker and unregistered handgun flew through the windshield and were never found by these selectively blind police.

17. jonbeck316 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:40 PM

He should have never let that pizza drive the car

18. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Oct 2, 2013 1:41 PM

I could get drunk on pizza.

19. selbyrj82 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:44 PM

All of you non-believers who think he was drunk- why dont you go out and re-enact Burleson’s crash today and then let me know if you had perfect balance, coordination and coherence in the moments IMMEDIATELY following the crash.

Or, just shut up and stop looking for conflict when there is no conflict to be had.

20. surfinbird1 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:48 PM

Hell, we all know beer doesn’t go with pizza.

21. ahs2 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:53 PM

uh, detroit cop cons.piracy theorists..it happened on I-696 so the Michigan State Police handled the accident. Get pulled over by one of those guys for anything and you’ll leave the scene in tears with a ticket.

22. pspring63 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:58 PM

Great, now driving with a pizza in the front seat will become a traffic offense.

23. steviepinhead says: Oct 2, 2013 2:02 PM

If the state troopers responded and didn’t administer a breath-analysis, then Burleson did not smell or act or appear intoxicated, end of story.

How he may have appeared to some random bystander who wouldn’t have the experience or knowledge to differentiate “shock” and injury from intoxication is of no consequence whatsoever.

I’m a Seahawks fan, so I don’t have any dog in this fight. Yeah, it was a dumb antic. No, there’s not the slightest reason to credit some bystander over the state troopers.

24. metrocritical says: Oct 2, 2013 2:02 PM

As a lawyer and magistrate in the jurisdiction where this occurred, I highly doubt law enforcement let Nate get away with one here. Local prosecutors love bringing down big names and many hometown athletes have been nailed over the years for OWI. This may be the rare instance where a guy is telling the truth. On the other hand, he was coming off a big game…

25. drewgarrisonwhodey says: Oct 2, 2013 2:03 PM

Let’s stop making this man out to be a criminal and recognize him for the hero that he is. He saved an innocent pizza!

26. kepdogg23 says: Oct 2, 2013 2:06 PM

Innocent unless a Detroit Lion

27. baddegg says: Oct 2, 2013 2:09 PM

“tripping over a dog” — nice Brian Griese reference!

28. phreakin says: Oct 2, 2013 2:09 PM

I don’t exactly follow Burleson’s career too closely, but nothing i’ve seen of him or read about says he’s that kind of guy. He actually seems to have some sense and intelligence when it comes to his words and actions. He’s still a WR so that guarantees some diva’ish qualities, but he seems like a good character guy for the most part so he gets the benefit of the doubt from my side. Not that it’s worth anything but still.

29. purpleguy says: Oct 2, 2013 2:12 PM

Getting bonked in the noggin by an airbag and front-end crash is enough to make someone loopy even if sober. Not to mention that distracted driving is just as dangerous as drunk driving — as evident from the crash.

30. keylimelight says: Oct 2, 2013 2:12 PM

In the photos he posted, is that pizza sauce on the air bag??

Sounds more like he was under the influence of pizza not alcohol.

31. leapyrman says: Oct 2, 2013 2:16 PM

Some of these athletes, like Burleson, have very little body fat, are constantly exercising and burn a tremendous number of calories daily. I would imagine they are always hungry and struggle to go very long between meals.

32. doctorrustbelt says: Oct 2, 2013 2:17 PM

Cellphone, liquor, and weed.

33. wearethesteelers says: Oct 2, 2013 2:18 PM

Typical Lion.

34. bspencerlaw says: Oct 2, 2013 2:27 PM

From a personal injury attorney: If he fractured his arm, he would have undergone blood tests at the emergency room. Most ER doctors do a trauma panel, which often includes alcohol serum. There’s conclusive proof of his blood alcohol content out there, which, if he bothers to, he could disclose and wipe the slate clean. However, why invade his privacy like that based on some random eyewitness said? I’m pretty sure the staties would have noticed if he was drunk…

35. shoobiedoobin says: Oct 2, 2013 2:36 PM

TMZ is everything that’s wrong with humanity.

36. lovethelions says: Oct 2, 2013 2:41 PM

steviepinhead says: Oct 2, 2013 2:02 PM

___________________________________

I agree with you! Burleson used to be a Seahawk…and my husband (big Seahawks fan) wishes he still was. Great player and hope he’ll be back soon!

37. thegreatgabbert says: Oct 2, 2013 2:42 PM

It was the delerium tremens deer jumping out of the shrubbery again.

38. granadafan says: Oct 2, 2013 2:43 PM

Oh come on, he was washing his truck just like Jeff Kent.

39. dmface says: Oct 2, 2013 2:56 PM

Court of public opinion means nothing. If an officer suspected alcohol was involved I am sure he would be asked to take a test.

40. athwartships says: Oct 2, 2013 2:57 PM

No story left un-drama’d.

41. fievel03 says: Oct 2, 2013 3:18 PM

If you’ve ever been in an accident where the airbag deploys, you know that you’re not “right” in the head for a good couple hours (and by the time those effects are clear, you’re on heavy narcotics for whatever pain you have!). If alcohol was a factor, it would have been determined at the scene by professionals, not by rubbernecking idiots.

42. yooperman says: Oct 2, 2013 3:27 PM

Who ever said the Detroit cops looked the other way have no idea what they are talking about. The wreck was nowhere near Detroit. It was in Farmington Hill.

43. mkultra72 says: Oct 2, 2013 3:36 PM

Have you seen the Tahoe he was riding in? The front end was DESTROYED! He’s lucky he made it out alive.

His body, head, arms and legs getting crushed couldn’t have had ANYTHING to do with his “wobbly” appearance huh? Please!!

44. punkyqb says: Oct 2, 2013 3:36 PM

Don’t they always say that the drunks more times than not walk away from the crash and the people in the other car are hurt seriously. (Even thou there’s no other car)

45. mclovin07 says: Oct 2, 2013 3:47 PM

“He was NOT drinking”

Sincerely,

N. Suh

46. eatitfanboy says: Oct 2, 2013 3:48 PM

“The bad news for Burleson is that some in the court of public opinion will believe that there were more substances at work than cheese and pepperoni, regardless of what the truth may be”.

Why is that bad news for Burleson? Oh, I see. You’re one of those people who still think that rich athletes care what you think of them.

47. citiciti says: Oct 2, 2013 3:58 PM

Purple Drank?just sayin

48. godfatherd says: Oct 2, 2013 4:01 PM

TMZ is such a joke. They interviewed the responding officer on Detroit radio and he flat out said there was nothing about Burlesons behavior or demeanor that would suggest alcohol. Maybe we was a little shaky on his feet because he was in a car accident.

49. katientony says: Oct 2, 2013 4:27 PM

I dont think there is anything in Burleson’s past that he is an excessive drinker or partier. That combined with the fact that the Police didnt give him a Breathalyzer test (cops know when its time to do this…Lions player or not) tells me we owe the guy the benefit of the doubt.

50. 2difshoe says: Oct 2, 2013 4:54 PM

A Margherita pizza will do that to you.

51. pacodawg says: Oct 2, 2013 5:23 PM

Nate. I got ur back. Bernie Kosar

52. garyhd01 says: Oct 2, 2013 7:38 PM

here is my take, like it or not the cops love to bust the celebs, and athletes fall into that category since they did show up at the accident if he had been drinking my guess is Burleson would have gotten the dui notice therefore as a ram fan without a dog in the fight I say believe him and become more skeptical only after (and if) he ever does wreck again. for now I choose to believe him what do you think??

53. easyeddie says: Oct 3, 2013 12:26 AM

“The good news for Burleson is that it’s too late for anything to be done about the situation in a court of law, given that he wasn’t asked to submit to breath testing. ”

Just another example of the shoddy, BS “journalism” of PFT. Shameful.