Steelers face irrelevance in Pittsburgh

Wild Card Game - Cincinnati Reds v Pittsburgh Pirates Getty Images

The Steelers will be out of sight until October 13.  Given the rest of the sports landscape in Pittsburgh, they’ll also be out of mind.

After the first 0-4 start since 1968, the year before Chuck Noll became the team’s head coach (the franchise has had only two others since then), the Steelers face the rare reality of being irrelevant in their home city.

In recent years, the Pirates had been the local oddity.  With the Steelers and Penguins consistently contending, folks in Pittsburgh tolerated the long-struggling Pirates, often viewing their games as simply part of the ambiance at one of the best stadiums in any sport.

But now that the Pirates are back to the postseason for the first time since Bill Cowher’s first year as Steelers coach and have won the wild-card game against the Reds with a raucous record crowd, the Pirates take center stage during the Steelers’ bye week.

It culminates, coincidentally, on Sunday in Pittsburgh, when Game Three of the best-of-five with the Cardinals will be played at PNC Park.  If the Pirates can win the first two games in St. Louis, it could end up being the biggest non-Steelers Sunday in Pittsburgh since May 26, 1991, when the city welcomed the Penguins back to town after winning their first Stanley Cup in Minnesota.

The Steelers have now returned from London after losing to Minnesota in a rematch of the first Super Bowl the Steelers ever won.  This time, the Steelers lost, plunging to 0-4.

The situation surely is contributing to the pressure the Steelers are facing, even as they try to downplay it.  Owner Art Rooney II, who is dealing with first real crisis of his tenure as the man in charge of the team, declined a request to be interviewed by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.  Instead, Rooney issued a statement through the team.

“In a football season you can’t worry about your last game, or your last four games,” Rooney said.  “The team has to focus on the next opponent and do what is necessary to improve each week of the season.  If we continue to work hard and play with intensity, good things will come.”

Plenty of folks in Pittsburgh don’t believe it.  Even more troubling is the reality that plenty of folks in Pittsburgh currently don’t care.

Permalink 105 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
105 Responses to “Steelers face irrelevance in Pittsburgh”
  1. Steeley McBeam says: Oct 2, 2013 9:24 AM

Why spin a great playoff win by the Pirates (their first since 92) into this nonsense? Steelers fans will be out as strong as ever week 6 and we hope the Buccos are rolling at that point too.

2. steelbydesign says: Oct 2, 2013 9:24 AM

Believe it or not, it is possible to “care” about two sports at once.

Sure, people are going to be way more invested in the Pirates right now because it’s a Pirates playoff game, versus a Steelers regular season game (which really doesn’t mean much anymore).

3. jcmeyer10 says: Oct 2, 2013 9:27 AM

Sorry I am not sorry that I am enjoying the Steelers struggles so much.

4. pencilmonkeymagic says: Oct 2, 2013 9:30 AM

Every team slides into irrelevance at some stage. It’s just the way it goes.

6 rings can’t prevent that.

5. tennesseeoilers says: Oct 2, 2013 9:30 AM

Sixburgh?

… Historyburgh.

6. kosarkid says: Oct 2, 2013 9:31 AM

Went to get groceries the Sunday the Steelers lost to the Vikings, only saw 1 person wearing Steelers stuff. In past seasons, it was a sea of black and gold snickering at me wearing my Browns stuff. Yeah that’s right no matter how bad my Browns were I always sported their stuff.

7. wvucolumbus says: Oct 2, 2013 9:31 AM

#CityofChamps

Bucs, Steelers (via a 9-7 regular season) and Pens will have ticker tape parades this year.

It’s a ‘Burgh thing.

8. wryly1 says: Oct 2, 2013 9:32 AM

As a fan of one of Steelers oldest and biggest rivals, I gotta respect the run they’ve had. A testament to good ownership, organization and coaching – but yes, that cycle is ending. Can’t see them as a playoff team for the remainder of Tomlin’s or Roethlisberger’s era.

9. flaccodelic says: Oct 2, 2013 9:33 AM

I think most reasonable people realize Pittsburgh has become a nice city, and are even rooting for the Pirates. Why? Because they have been an underdog, yes, but moreso because they don’t have a Yankees-style fanbase that gloats constantly and acts like past accomplishments make them somehow better people than fans of other teams.

It would be nice if your average Steelers fan would take that lesson to heart, but I’m not holding my breath.

10. contract says: Oct 2, 2013 9:34 AM

Nonsense.

11. pooflingingmonkey says: Oct 2, 2013 9:35 AM

I always enjoy a nice schadenfreud moment at the expense of the most obnoxious fan base in the NFL – Pittsburgh. And it will be amusing watching the Steelers try to rebuild over the next 2-3 years, while even the lowly Browns overtake them, and they become something of an afterthough.

I’m smiling right now!

12. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Oct 2, 2013 9:38 AM

The headline choice of “Steelers face irrelevance in Pittsburgh” was a poor and misguided one.

Absolutely unbelievable choice of words.

13. peytonsneck18 says: Oct 2, 2013 9:41 AM

steelers fans are on suicide watch, their team flat out stink!!!

14. ampats says: Oct 2, 2013 9:42 AM

At least Steelers fans get a reprieve this weekend before their team extends its record to 0-5

15. wtfchiefs says: Oct 2, 2013 9:44 AM

No need to worry because the Pirates aren’t going to take two at Busch, Go CARDS!!

16. killerstiller says: Oct 2, 2013 9:48 AM

Ever see or hear of a kid running daddy’s business into the ground? Well, we are witnessing in Pittsburgh. Thanks, Art II!

17. mavix27 says: Oct 2, 2013 9:49 AM

“Knock, Knock”-
    Ben R.- “Who’s there?”
    “Owen”
    Ben R.- “Owen who?”
    “Owen Four!”

18. squared80 says: Oct 2, 2013 9:49 AM

Let’s step back from the ledge for 2 seconds. The Pirates are winning for the first time in 2 decades. That’s exciting. The Penguins are… well, they’re good, but it’s hockey.

The Steelers own this town, and always will. Even when bad.

19. thelastpieceofcheese says: Oct 2, 2013 9:50 AM

I’d rather watch the “irrelevant” Steelers than fall asleep watching baseball.

20. seatownballers says: Oct 2, 2013 9:51 AM

Knock knock

Who’s there?

Owen

Owen who?

Oh and four

21. jpelle82 says: Oct 2, 2013 9:54 AM

i could care less about the steelers these days, saw this coming a mile away and its hockey season now anyway. cant get overly excited about the bucco’s either, i will be happy with a valiant effort in a playoff series. it would be nostalgic to see a braves/pirates nlcs though…one can only hope.

22. rpiotr01 says: Oct 2, 2013 9:54 AM

This is stupid. Steeler fans aren’t fickle mush-heads. 40 years of winning won’t be undone by 1 bad year.

The Pirates are allowed to be good and have fans root for them. Sports love isn’t a zero sum game.

Signed,
    Not a Pittsburgh fan

23. azarkhan says: Oct 2, 2013 9:54 AM

wearetheirrelevantsteelers

24. mborz says: Oct 2, 2013 9:58 AM

@flaccodelic: Steelers fan here. Been to many sporting events (home and away) over the years. Seems to me that any team’s fans get more arrogant when they’ve been good a long time, no matter what sport, what city, and at what level (high school, college, pro). I don’t think it’s something specific to the Steelers at all.

Do you think the Ravens fans have gotten more arrogant since their Super Bowl win? In my interactions with them (person-to-person, I don’t count what goes on here), I definitely do.

25. baddegg says: Oct 2, 2013 9:59 AM

Where are all the posts talking about Pittsburg’s 6 rings and why we are all so envious of Steeler fans?

26. kaeprulestheworld says: Oct 2, 2013 10:00 AM

Say it’s not so.

27. jimmyt says: Oct 2, 2013 10:01 AM

Nonsense. Steelers rule that city. Anyone remember the last time the Bucs were in the playoffs, circa Bonds/Bobby Bo/Slick era? Could not even sell out the playoff games! I’ve always been suprised the Pirates havn’t moved to a city that appreciates baseball.

28. Nofoolnodrool says: Oct 2, 2013 10:05 AM

flaccodelic | Oct 2, 2013, 9:33 AM EDT

Please hold your breath as one less boasting cry baby raven fan would make the world a much better place. The steelers are Pittsburgh are, will, and always has been.

Funny that a fan of the biggest wish we could be like the steelers would be dumb enough to insult steeler fans. I know the many butt sore haters are enjoying this down turn in steeler fortunes and rightfully so we have been sticking it to you losers forever. It doesn’t bother me to give the wannabes a chance….see what ya got ladies.

29. eriewarrior19 says: Oct 2, 2013 10:06 AM

I can’t wait to see how many of their BANDWAGON fans jump ship LOL.

30. abninf says: Oct 2, 2013 10:13 AM

Dallas still has the most Lombardi’s without an asterisk behind them.

31. schmitty2 says: Oct 2, 2013 10:13 AM

You know it’s bad for the Steelers when Wiz Khalifa wishes his “Black and Yellow” song was actually made for the Pirates.

32. ilovefoolsball says: Oct 2, 2013 10:14 AM

Is it possible for Tomlin’s eyes to get any bigger and wider? They may just pop out of his head at some point which would be a travesty.

33. jtbsteeler says: Oct 2, 2013 10:16 AM

Oct 20th 1130pm – Ravens will be 2-5 as predicted in July.

34. brownsince64 says: Oct 2, 2013 10:19 AM

Get real. Pittsburgh fans care. If they didn’t care, this article would get an interest and there would be no point in writing it.
    As a Cleveland fan, I have to say that the cities are both football centers..after 14 years of irrelevance, the Browns fans are still as supportive as ever. Vast majority of steeler fans are the same. It will take a lot more than a few lost games to lose the fan base there.
    And basically what you are saying is that for the pirates to dominate the sports scene in pittsburg, the steelers have to have a bye week that week.

35. steelerben says: Oct 2, 2013 10:20 AM

I have to say that perhaps the Steelers having a bad season might be the best thing to happen to the fan base. A lot of the bandwagoners and hangerson with drop to go spout about how the Broncos or the Seahawks or whoever is the best team ever, be super annoying and generally make the real fans look bad, leaving behind the people that are actually Steelers fans.

After a run of success like this past one, a losing season (and this one isn’t over yet, but let’s be honest the team looks bad) isn’t the end of the world. There will be changes in the offseason and the team will improve. The biggest worry is how much longer will Lebeau remain to coach the defense and what is the succession plan there.

36. mrwalterisgod says: Oct 2, 2013 10:22 AM

The Steelers couldn’t even sellout their home opener. It was half full in the 3rd quarter.

My roommate, a “die hard Steelers fan”, doesn’t even watch them now they are 0-4.

“steeler nation” = front running bandwagoners.

37. ravc82 says: Oct 2, 2013 10:24 AM

I’m a Ravens fan-first time trolling and will be my last.

This is a good problem to have- I wish my O’s had made the playoffs. And FYI Florio-Steelers will never be irrelevant in Pittsburgh, you being a fan even if from WV should know that.

Welp, see ya later- Catch a bunch of you on the Monroe thread.

38. tigersfandan says: Oct 2, 2013 10:27 AM

I’m not quite sure that the Steelers have reached irrelevance just yet.

39. farvite says: Oct 2, 2013 10:31 AM

*golfclap* @ the most classless fans in the League

Buncha toolshed escapees

40. stv1719 says: Oct 2, 2013 10:40 AM

when a coach has too much loyalty to his veterans and is unwilling to start the young guys, as well as the inability to draft hits, it leads to downfall… see my team philadelphia eagles

41. Steeler's Didn't-but-Will-eventually says: Oct 2, 2013 10:41 AM

I’m glad to see the Pirates competing again, , but Pittsburgh is still Steeler country.

Also, the “knock-knock Owen” jokes are hilarious and original.

42. steelerfanjo says: Oct 2, 2013 10:41 AM

Jealous morons post stuff when we are 0-4. Wait til week 12, we will be in the hunt. Steeler nation hurts today, but we are still the greatest NFL Franchise ever. Only Packersm Bears & Niners are the same breath. Don’t mention the Pats or Cowgirls, they just think they matter. Ravens fans, your team of convicts is soon to find out that Flacco is a Flake-O.

43. gatorsandsteelerssuckbigblackclocks says: Oct 2, 2013 10:43 AM

Not just in Pittsburgh

44. theroc5156 says: Oct 2, 2013 10:44 AM

I’m probably the biggest Steeler-hater there is but Pittsburgh will always be a football city regardless. I’ve lived in the area and win or lose, the Steeler fans are out regardless. Unlike Penguin and Pirate fans, although 20 years of utter futility makes it understandable. Nobody went to Penguin games after Mario left until Sid came. Now, they go due to the success. Not ragging on the fans, as this sort of thing happens in most cities as well. My point is, win or lose, the Steelers rule the Pittsburgh sports scene.

It’s nice though to see the bandwagon Steeler fans who haven’t stepped foot in Pittsburgh all but disappear.

45. pitpenguinsrulez says: Oct 2, 2013 10:45 AM

I’ll give it to you real terms coming from a 20 year old Pittsburgh Sports Fan. First off the Steelers are always gonna rule Pittsburgh because we are a football city. Although the Steelers rule with the older Generation of Yinzers. Now in ten years that might actually change due to the fact the Penguins are ruling with the younger Generation of Yinzers like myself. The Penguins don’t bullcrap you like Rooneys. Art Rooney II helped to dumb down the Steelers with the players and certain coaches…HALEY! Unlike Lemieux and Burkle who want nothing but to win. Give ten year when kids like myself are 30 and I wouldn’t be surprised if the Penguins surpass the Steelers in popularity. Now with the Buccos it’s a mix of both generations. I myself was overjoyed last night with out victory. As long as the Pirates keep up there success they’ll have the support from me and others. Last nights game was also a bi-product of 21 years of frustrations and anger. Last night proves why I’m glad to be from Pittsburgh.

46. theroc5156 says: Oct 2, 2013 10:46 AM

Oh, and I know they are 0-4, but outside of the Broncos, who really has been dominant? Patriots? Maybe. But with the Ravens and Bengals struggling, the Steelers aren’t necessarily out of it yet. Much as I hate to admit it.

47. ncsteeler says: Oct 2, 2013 10:47 AM

Pittsburgh is a football town.

I remember the 60’s and people were Steeler fans first and then Pirate fans even though the later were competitive and the former were anything but.

I hope the bucs go all the way but in the end the people of Pittsbugh will celebrate only until the next Steeler game.

48. flaccodelic says: Oct 2, 2013 10:51 AM

mborz says:
    Oct 2, 2013 9:58 AM

16 1

—-

You’ve got a point, I have definitely heard more arrogance from Ravens fans this year. But let’s be real- regardless of how good they are or aren’t this year, the Ravens are the CURRENT defending World Champs. That’s a fairly reasonable position from which to thump your chest a little bit as a fan.

Two-thirds of this six rings business goes back to the Carter administration, and you can’t tell me that there aren’t A LOT of Steelers fans who respond to any legitimate criticism by citing things that happened in the 1970s with a several-generations-ago lineup and coaching staff. In case you hadn’t noticed, it has worn thin on a lot of people, not just those from Baltimore.

Steelers are a great organization, this slump won’t be endless. But let’s be real: Last playoff game was a loss to Tebow, followed by an 8-8 season, followed by 0-4 and counting. For God’s sake, lay low and stop talking smack until your own team rights the ship a little bit.

49. hehateme2 says: Oct 2, 2013 10:51 AM

It’s about time. Time to get humble homers.

50. dickroy says: Oct 2, 2013 11:03 AM

The Steelers irrelevant in Pittsburgh??
    I don’t think so!!

51. patriot1964 says: Oct 2, 2013 11:13 AM

Couldn’t be happier with the demise of the Steelers

Perhaps it’s like when the Colts Sucked For Luck you can call this the Steelers going through Hell For Manziel

52. Nofoolnodrool says: Oct 2, 2013 11:17 AM

Of course it’s a great organization….it’s the one all you wannabees want to copy …catch up to…and even beat. Being Cundiffed didn’t stop the loud mouths in Baltimore from spouting off. Tired of you raven fans crying about the Super Bowl…you won….your two two morons Lewis and Suggs are whining in the media….please don’t preach decorum until you and your team earns the respect of real champs .deserve. Start working on it…I have time to wait.

53. whiskytango333 says: Oct 2, 2013 11:18 AM

The only win coming from the Steelers organization this year is the pictures of Todd Haley’s wife.

54. thepunkyqb says: Oct 2, 2013 11:19 AM

suffice to say because Pittsburgh fans(Pirates, Steelers or Penguins)are the worst Bandwagon riders out there outside of Miami Heat fans. Ask any Browns or Bills fan that lives from Cleveland to Erie to New York. My In Laws live in Erie, are diehard Browns fans and every time I visit them I can tell which team is playing well because those are the only jerseys you see. If I don’t see any….then they are all playing like crap. It feel like Punxsutawney Phil, I can predict the upcoming wave of Bandwagoneers.

55. bobzilla1001 says: Oct 2, 2013 11:31 AM

The Steelers’ decline started in 2011, when they compiled a 12-4 record without having one significant win. In 2012, they compiled an 8-8 record against the weakest schedule in the league, and now they are 0-4. Gee, what a surprise.
    Never have so many watched so much of something they know so little about. Steelers Football throughout the region is all about partying. But, as Don Meredith used to say: “Turn off the lights…”
    Should the fan base thin out, as it did in the 1980s, that’ll be fine with me. I’ll continue to be more excited about the journey than the destination.

56. bzillaz says: Oct 2, 2013 11:32 AM

Steelers fans need to calm down – they have had WAY more than their fair share of success historically. Who honestly did not see this coming? They consistently replaced Pro-bowlers with merely serviceable players. That obviously will catch up with you.

I think Tomlin is a good coach – but who really knows? He inherited and took a SuperBowl roster to the SuperBowl – twice. Now he’s taken a sub-par roster to a sub-par performance. How good is he??? His character is being tested right now.

The GM here has clearly guessed wrong far too many times in recent history.

Until the roster is better, the results will only mostly parallel the talent.

57. jjackwagon says: Oct 2, 2013 11:44 AM

The city of Pittsburgh must be slow, the Steelers have been irrelevant to the rest of the nation since they lost to Tebow.

58. stainlessstill says: Oct 2, 2013 11:46 AM

Overreaction! CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP Overreaction! CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP Overreaction! CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP!

Gimmie a break. Sure this season hasn’t gone the way we wanted it to go so far, but there’s 12 more of these things and we’re only 2 back inside of the division with 5 division games to play! A few big plays here and there and we’re 4-0. The AFC North isn’t what I like to call “stacked.” Hilarious to see the Browns win 2 games and all of a sudden they’re the next coming of the ’72 Dolphins. Seasons still young. Teams implode. Way too early if anybody knows anything about football.

If, a big IF, the Steelers come back and turn it around, I will reek havoc on all you fairweather phonies!

Not sure what the Buccos success’s have to do with the Steelers. Don’t masquerade, good for the Pirates, it’s been 21 years! But don’t knock the Steelers while they are down. You people know better than that.

59. joetoronto says: Oct 2, 2013 11:48 AM

No matter how bad it gets in Pittsburgh, at least they’re not the Bungals.

60. td40 says: Oct 2, 2013 11:54 AM

0-16

61. fc187 says: Oct 2, 2013 12:00 PM

With the first pick in the 2014 draft the Steelers select ….

62. ronarch13 says: Oct 2, 2013 12:05 PM

Let’s see Steelers are owen 4
    We are not taking back the Browns fans that jumped on your bandwagon, when they jump ship off the stinking mess

63. kanishj says: Oct 2, 2013 12:08 PM

mrwalterisgod says:
    Oct 2, 2013 10:22 AM
    The Steelers couldn’t even sellout their home opener. -============

Umm, say what?? The Steelers have sold out every game since 1972. Period. If fans don’t decide to show up, then that’s a different story.

Don’t confuse the two.

64. baltimoresnativeson says: Oct 2, 2013 12:23 PM

I hate the steelers as much as anyone. But I doubt they will ever be irrelevant at any point in Pittsburgh.

Steelers fans are nuts. I know this 1st hand.

65. justintuckrule says: Oct 2, 2013 12:23 PM

Knock Knock
    Who’s there
    Haywood
    Haywood who
    Hey wouldn’t you like to have as many rings and suffer through one bad year than have to write lame, tired knock knock jokes to make you feel better?

Knock knock
    who’s there
    betcha
    betcha who
    Betcha would!

66. steelcurtainn says: Oct 2, 2013 12:25 PM

The season is barely 4 games old and people are talking about irrelevance….wow. The steelers are 2 game out of the divsion in a crappy AFC North(after being winless). The Ravens couldn’t even beat bills and the bungles stunk against the browns. Every team in this division so far stinks. Anybody can win it.

67. CKL says: Oct 2, 2013 12:27 PM

bobzilla1001 says: Oct 2, 2013 11:31 AM

__________________________________
    Hey now! Your Steelers beat the Pats that year, and the Pats went to the SB that same year. That’s a pretty bigtime win. I remember howtheSteelers cameout and broke tendencies on both sides of the ball and the Pats had no answers.

I’ve been to Pitt for a couple preseason games and the fans were good people for the most part. Unlike other places I’ve gone for regular season games, they were actually interested in watching the game, not getting hot dogs every 9 nanoseconds or talking on their cell phones all night. I’d call them real fans.

68. Nofoolnodrool says: Oct 2, 2013 12:39 PM

CKL says:
    Oct 2, 2013 12:27 PM
    bobzilla1001 says: Oct 2, 2013 11:31 AM

__________________________________

0 0 CKL, don’t pay attention to the Oracle of Prunes as he feels fans shouldn’t have fun watching Steeler games. He is more into stats and analysis then fun and social interaction……his astrological sign is a mushroom….just keep me in the dark and feed me bull shi$.

69. bobzilla1001 says: Oct 2, 2013 12:39 PM

CKL:
    True.
    The Patriots were the ONLY team the Steelers beat that season that finished with a winning record.
    Come to think of it, your Pats qualified for the playoffs that season without having defeated ANY team that finished with a winning record. The Ravens clearly were the best team in the AFC in 2011, which was the reason the 9-7 Giants were able to win the Super Bowl.
    How are the Giants doing now?

70. pastabelly says: Oct 2, 2013 12:42 PM

Steelers fans have no complaints. Since the 1970’s, only the Lakers have been as good. The Yankees have had championships, but also some bad years thrown in. The Steelers have great fans and will get through this period, supporting their team. I’m a Patriots fan and have appreciated what the Steelers, the Rooneys, and their great fans bring to the table. The headline of the article about their relevance is wrong in so many ways. Now, I can’t be too nice to the Steelers. They have had their share of punks and big mouths that I don’t mind seeing them lose a bit. :)

71. whatjusthapped says: Oct 2, 2013 12:43 PM

The first thing the Steelers need to do is fire their OC. Then win a couple of games and they will be fine.

72. bobzilla1001 says: Oct 2, 2013 12:44 PM

CKL:
    The Steelers’ fan base isn’t comprised of just the 60,000 in attendance at Heinz Field.

73. drewgarrisonwhodey says: Oct 2, 2013 12:47 PM

As a Bengals fan, I would be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy watching the Steelers start off 0-4. I’ve been saying this for a few years now: Bill Cowher’s team is fading away and Mike Tomlin’s team is now starting to come in. Very similar to when Gruden went to Tampa to get Tony Dungy’s Super Bowl ring. In the next 2 or 3 years, you will see the balance of power in the AFC North shift to Ohio.

74. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 2, 2013 12:50 PM

They even managed to lose to an irrelevant team (Vikings).

75. melikefootball says: Oct 2, 2013 12:56 PM

Irrelevant, don’t think so. The Steelers had not been o- four in since 68, that is a long time to be competitive folks. The Pirates are on the minds of many In Pittsburgh because they finally have made it to the play offs. I just got back from Pittsburgh and saw many Steelers shirts and jerseys , here in NC not any Panthers. Yes we have been spoiled but we have more pride than you can shake a stick at.

76. blacknyellablacknyella says: Oct 2, 2013 1:12 PM

@KosarKid — Actually, I was in Cleveland (decided to stay a night there with a friend on my way back from the game in London) and was wearing my Steelers sweatshirt around town on Monday. I figure I have not much reason to be ashamed of my six-time World Champion Steelers slow start if Browns fans can sport their team’s gear after a half-century of . . . THAT.

77. matteyghoukis says: Oct 2, 2013 1:15 PM

I love my Steelers no matter what..!

78. curtb29 says: Oct 2, 2013 1:26 PM

@flaccodelic says: Oct 2, 2013 9:33 AM

Majority of your Steelers are those who are humble and loyal and respect other fans and their teams. Were blue color people we believe in working hard. The 3 people I associate myself most with at work are 2 cincy fans and a browns fan. Go figure all divisional rivals and we live in Indiana. Thing is there are knuckleheads out there who are fairweatherfans who jump team to team. Not just Steelers fans but Cowboys, Greenbay, Bears ect. We call them “posers” we look past their ignorance. Fact of the matter is every team has these same knuckleheads who are loud and obnoxious. Yea we brag about our 6 Superbowl victories but so would every other team. As a Steelers fan it is very frustrating that were 0-4 but a wise man once said what goes up must come down. Thing is not staying down to long.

79. keiselsbeard says: Oct 2, 2013 1:42 PM

To even suggest that the people in Pittsburgh don’t care about the Steelers is beyond idiotic. They’re happy for the Pirates, sure, but no matter what, The Steelers will always be #1 in this city’s heart.

80. ilovefoolsball says: Oct 2, 2013 1:45 PM

I went to the store the other day and I saw a man wearing 6 rings and a Steeler’s hat. I asked him what does it feel like to be able to wear 6 rings.

He said “ohfer”

81. damcmp says: Oct 2, 2013 1:54 PM

how can that statement be true?

82. dexterismyhero says: Oct 2, 2013 2:06 PM

patriot1964 says:Oct 2, 2013 11:13 AM

Couldn’t be happier with the demise of the Steelers

==================================the Colts didn’t suck for Luck. They had Curtis Painter as a QB.

And just wait until Tommy Bundchen departs.

83. bobzilla1001 says: Oct 2, 2013 2:11 PM

damcmp:
    Noll coached from 1969 to 1991. Cowher coached from 1992 to 2006, and Tomlin become the coach in 2007…
    Bill Austin was the coach in 1968.

84. footballfan says: Oct 2, 2013 2:12 PM

*************

I get what your saying, but as soon as the Steeler fans stop talking smack then every one calls them bandwagon fans and such.. There is no winning..

And to the guy who said that the Steelers could’nt sell out their home opener.. You do realize that all of the games this season are sold out right? If someone buys a ticket and chooses to not use it the NFL could care less!

85. footballfan says: Oct 2, 2013 2:14 PM

damcmp says: Oct 2, 2013 1:54 PM

how can that statement be true?

**************

Bill Cowher, Mike Tomlin…..

86. critter69 says: Oct 2, 2013 2:26 PM

I’m not now crying for Steeler fans, and I won’t cry at the end of the season.

Steeler fans really should remember the history of the Steeler organization. The team almost disappeared in the early 1940s. The team was saved only by temporarily merging it with the Philadelphia Eagles in 1943 (the Steagles), and the Chicago Cardinals in 1944 (the Card-Pitts, aka ‘carpets’, as the team ended with a record of 0-10) (and yes, the Cardinals NFL team formerly played in Chicago, before moving to St. Louis, then to Phoenix).

And the owner of the team then was Art Rooney, the father of the current owner. If Art Rooney was such a wizard at founding a dynasty, he wouldn’t have had to temporarily merge his team with other teams in order to keep the team alive.

87. audient says: Oct 2, 2013 2:27 PM

I’m a Cleveland sports fan, and the Stllrs are the team I love to hate. They’re 0-4, and Stllr fans can eat a big bowl of misery.

Still, I kinda like these Bucs. They’ve been so bad for so long, what’s not to like? I even went to PNC to take in a game this year.

And leave to baseball to come through just when football fails you. It isn’t lost on me that the Indians went to the World Series during the years we had no Browns. That helped get our city through in a big way, even though we lost.

So, I’m hoping for an Indians-Pirates World Series. Unlikely, but not impossible. The national media will hate it, and that’s one more reason Clevelanders and Burghers will love it. And what a way to jumpstart an old city rivalry, just in another sport.

88. goawayeverybody says: Oct 2, 2013 2:39 PM

Hey Steeler fans, please keep reminding us how many rings you have. It’s really endearing.

Btw, two of those were handed to you on a silver platter by the zebras. And deep down you know this!

89. blackdonnelly says: Oct 2, 2013 2:54 PM

It’s silly easy for me to get behind the Pirates – Clint Hurdle used to manage my Rockies and is a stand up guy. Hope they go deep into the playoffs this year.

Steelers – not so much. I don’t know what’s worse……the team itself or their truly obnoxious fans. Not all fans – just the ones that seem to let history rule their thoughts.

90. critter69 says: Oct 2, 2013 2:58 PM

‘curtb29′ ??

I’ve been a fan of the San Francisco Giants since the early 1960s. And I grew up in Indiana (near Fort Wayne).

Yes, there have been a couple of 100+ win seasons, but there have also been a couple of 100+ loss seasons. And I remained a fan of the Giants through all those years.

A few years ago, I was at Union Station in DC, waiting for the commuter train to Baltimore, wearing a Giants baseball cap. Someone wearing a Steelers cap walked past me, saw my cap, stopped, then matter of factly told me that I would have to change allegiance since Barry was there no more.

It took all my willpower to NOT laugh in the idiot’s face.

And the idiot’s comment didn’t do anything except lower my already low opinion of Steeler and bandwagon (aka fairweather) fans, especially Steeler bandwagon fans.

91. athwartships says: Oct 2, 2013 2:58 PM

Pittsburgh still has a baseball team?

92. outsiderj says: Oct 2, 2013 3:04 PM

Give me a break. No one even cared about the Pirates before this year. We’re CONSTANTLY forced to hear about what a “rabid” fan base the Steelers have. It’s such crap. You can hear a pin drop in that stadium when the Steelers are behind 2 scores. If they lose 2-3 more games in the next month, that stadium will be empty come December, unless seats are sold to opposing teams fans.

93. koenig61 says: Oct 2, 2013 3:26 PM

This has got the the biggest stretch for a story ever! Even back in the days of “we are family” and the pirates winning World Series, NEVER EVER have the pirates been bigger than the steelers. Make no mistake the city couldn’t be more thrilled that the Pirates finally had a winning season, and that they are in the playoffs, but any fan, heck any non fan in Pittsburgh will tell you, the city Still revolves around the stillers, and that includes the penguins as well. Come on Mike, you should ow the burgh better than that.

94. footballfan says: Oct 2, 2013 3:29 PM

I’m not now crying for Steeler fans, and I won’t cry at the end of the season.

************

Since you are such a historian you should also know that the reason for the merger between the teams was this little thing called World War II. I am sure most of you have seen the movie “A League of Their Own”. Baseball was hurting too at the time. When all of the men were overseas for the war the teams had to do what they could to stay around. I am pretty sure that there are no fans of any team wanting you to cry for them right now…

95. lovethelions says: Oct 2, 2013 4:01 PM

Steelers face irrelevance in Pittsburgh

_________________________________

This is news??? Maybe only to Steelers fans, but the rest of us has know they were irrelevant for some time! :)

96. CKL says: Oct 2, 2013 4:20 PM

bobzilla1001 says:
    Oct 2, 2013 12:39 PM
    CKL:
    True.
    How are the Giants doing now?
    _________________________________
    And in 2010 the Pats had a really good record against playoff teams and went one and done in the playoffs for only the second time in BB’s tenure. I’ve come to think that none of that stuff matters, it’s truly any given Sunday.

And yes I know that about the fanbase, my mother is a Steelers fan and has never been to a game. :)

97. bobzilla1001 says: Oct 2, 2013 4:42 PM

CKL:
    To me, being a “Steelers fan” requires knowing the names of more than three or four players. I know so-called Steelers fans who don’t know if Polamalu plays offense or defense. They know only that he has long hair and wears the No. 43.
    I know so-called Steelers fans who never heard of Bruce Arians. I know so-called Steelers fans who want Todd Haley fired, even though they have no clue what function he performs or is suppose to perform. They hear others say that he should be fired, so they simply follow along…
    One thing about an avid fan: They are neither easily fooled, nor are they easy impressed.
    Ignorance is bliss, and “fans” like thebigfool are very blissful…

98. chas88 says: Oct 2, 2013 4:52 PM

I’ve lived in Pittsburgh my whole life, and yes, I can tell a difference this year in the fans. Everyone jumped right on the Pirates’ bandwagon so fast it wasn’t even funny. Kind of the same way when the Penguins started winning too a few years ago. I remember going to student rush for Penguins games before Sidney Crosby came, and was able to get front row seats because no one cared and didn’t go. You used to be able to get Pirates tickets for basically free. Now everyone wants to act like they’ve always supported these teams, but really, only cared enough when they started winning.

Maybe it’s just my own personal observation, but I’ve been seeing less and less people in Steelers gear. Less talk about them and during the game on social media. Folks only care about what’s hot right now, and it ain’t the Steelers. They start winning again, and you’ll see the “best fans in football” come out again. Probably happens in most towns.

99. raiderapologist says: Oct 2, 2013 8:40 PM

The only thing you need to know about the Steelers is that the Raiders have beat them 3 out of the last 4.

100. steelerslifer says: Oct 3, 2013 1:05 AM

Time to start talking about bringing back the chin

101. buckfigben says: Oct 3, 2013 10:57 AM

How many Steeler fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

None. They all just sit around and talk about how good the old one was.

102. Nofoolnodrool says: Oct 3, 2013 3:08 PM

bobzilla1001 says:
    Oct 2, 2013 4:42 PM
    CKL:
    Ignorance is bliss, and “fans” like thebigfool are very blissful…

3 1 The Oracle of prunes and gloom will be very lonely this weekend without his favorite piñata to wack. Is a suicide watch required there big guy? Iam sure if you ask your one friend they would come over and listen to you pontificating on the weakness of Ben…..even though they have heard so often they have it memorized.

Yours in blissDon Rickles

103. ydousuk says: Oct 3, 2013 3:41 PM

Nofoolnodrool says: Oct 2, 2013 11:17 AM

————————————————————-
    You mad skippy?

104. blackngold4life says: Oct 4, 2013 12:19 AM

The ones who “Don’t Care” or see the Steelers as “Irrelevant” are not real fans point blank..DONT care if they from Pittsburgh or not

105. steel2372 says: Oct 5, 2013 6:58 PM

Steelers will be back! Steeler nation will always be strong! Every team and every franchise goes through these stages. Its a cycle. You cannot be great all the time its impossible. I would love to see the rebuild take place and get some of the upcoming players and rookies major playing time for next season. The future is the Shark and Jarvis and Marcus Wheaton and Bell! If we can build on these cornerstone players we will be great again. Its nonsense to say the Steelers will be bad for 10 years or more. Any teams that gets enough high draft picks will eventually come around or at least they should. Go Steelers!