Bernie Kosar claims he wasn’t putting anyone at risk

Bernie Kosar AP

Former Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar gave a radio interview this morning in which he was asked about his recent arrest on suspicion of DUI. Kosar didn’t really clear much of anything up.

In a rambling answer to a question about what happened, Kosar didn’t say whether or not he was drunk when he was driving, but he did say he didn’t put anyone else at risk, even though he realizes it may appear to others that he did.

“With the court process going on it’s something that you’re not really supposed to over-talk about,” Kosar said on ESPN Radio in Cleveland. “You don’t want to put other people in danger, and I pride myself on trying to do the right thing and not wanting to put other people at risk. I’m not trying to blame anybody, I’m not trying to make excuses. I look hardest at myself and what I could do, and I know how appearances make things look, but it’s something again that I wouldn’t want to make anybody, put them in a tough spot. And when you’re trying to help people out, and you’re trying to do things, sometimes you end up in situations that you, you know, don’t look as good. But time’s going to show, show stuff on this. And again I’m not really able to talk a ton about things, with the case going on. But again for people out there, you have to take it seriously, you have to look within yourself first to make sure you don’t put people at risk, don’t put people in danger. And I never, never would do that, nor do I want to do that.”

Kosar gave a vague explanation to another question in which he said he was trying to help people at the time he was arrested. Perhaps the best way for Kosar to help people would be to call a cab.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Bernie Kosar claims he wasn’t putting anyone at risk”
  1. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Oct 3, 2013 1:01 PM

“Sometimes I’ll start a sentence, and I don’t even know where it’s going. I just hope I find it along the way. Like an improv conversation. An improversation.”

- Michael Scott

2. ctiggs says: Oct 3, 2013 1:02 PM

Thats like telling the cop during a field soberity test, ” I couldn’t even do this sober”.

3. nflofficeadmin says: Oct 3, 2013 1:03 PM

Oh Bernard..

4. sportsean1 says: Oct 3, 2013 1:03 PM

Bernie was my favorite player as a kid and I still remember his playing days with admiration in my heart.

While nobody but his closest friends and his doctors know for sure whether he’s dealing with the effects of concussions, alcoholism, drug abuse or a combination of all three, he clearly needs extensive and comprehensive help.

Get well, Bernie. Hopefully, before it’s too late for you or someone else.

5. brownoholic says: Oct 3, 2013 1:05 PM

Please, Bernie. Stop talking. PLEASE . . .

6. faulkn22 says: Oct 3, 2013 1:06 PM

“I was slightly lass hammered than these guys, your honor”

7. azarkhan says: Oct 3, 2013 1:08 PM

Bernie, nobody cares about old drunks.

8. godofwine330 says: Oct 3, 2013 1:13 PM

Drinking and driving is dumb. I know there are instances where you don’t think you had too much (happened to me when I had two Long Islands not knowing how much alcohol was in them) and when that happens you get someone to drive you (like I did).

He needs to stop talking because even though he is a Cleveland Legend, he is not making this any better denying responsibility. A simple, “I did it. I’m sorry. I will get a breathalyzer put in my car so this doesn’t happen in the future,” would suffice.

9. 69finfan says: Oct 3, 2013 1:17 PM

Mr. Kosar, unless there was not a single car on the road or a pedestrian anywhere near where you were apprehended, you were putting others at risk.

10. blacknole08 says: Oct 3, 2013 1:17 PM

I understand he cant really talk about the case because of legal reasons, but he is out of his mind if he thinks driving drunk helps others.

11. melikefootball says: Oct 3, 2013 1:18 PM

Bernie, your last two comments made to the public shows why you should retire to the back porch and watch the humming birds.

12. tsuscrumhalf says: Oct 3, 2013 1:36 PM

All the class I’d expect from a Clevelander

13. nfloracle says: Oct 3, 2013 1:44 PM

Why doesn’t Bernie’s family or friends get him the help he needs. He’s a disaster waiting to happen, and like most alcoholics who deny that driving while drunk is dangerous, he’ll likely kill or seriously injure some innocent person. Doesn’t he have any family or friends left who care enough about him to give him some real help? Sad situation, all too sad and all too common…

14. lasher1650 says: Oct 3, 2013 1:50 PM

At some point soon, Kosar is going to try and explain away his odd behavior over a notable period of time to football-related concussion syndrome, whether it be real or a convenient excuse. However, I get a strong indication by observing Kosar deteriorate in the manner he has, his problem is likely alcohol-related. Normally those who are impacted by CTE, their downward spiral is one of silent suffering (think Junior Seau and Dave Duerson, for example), not a public crumbling like we are seeing with Kosar.

15. urbusted2 says: Oct 3, 2013 1:52 PM

I love Bernie. I’m not making excuses for him but I watched him play at the stadium in Cleveland many times. Get well Bernie. You’re a good guy and we need good guys in this world.

16. armstrongsmissingball says: Oct 3, 2013 2:18 PM

Those who live in glass houses …..nuff said. Bernie is the man. Very entertaining when browns games flat out are not. Drunk or not let him live.

17. toybkshr says: Oct 3, 2013 2:18 PM

Not too delusional!

18. footballchic777 says: Oct 3, 2013 2:27 PM

It is almost as bad reading the words that he speaks as it is listening to the words he speaks! Please Bernie……NO MORE!