Opponents of Redskins name plan to make case at owners’ meeting

Fans Getty Images

Next week, the NFL’s owners will meet in Washington, D.C.  Also meeting there will be opponents to the ongoing use of the name “Redskins” by the local NFL franchise.

“The conference, which will be open to the press and the public, will be a chance for NFL officials, policymakers, and other concerned citizens to hear from federal legislators, community leaders and experts about the campaign,” the group said in a press release.

The Oneidas of Wisconsin (a different tribe) recently protested the name at last month’s game between the Redskins and Packers at Green Bay.  While the event didn’t generate overwhelming attendance (prompting some advocates of the name to suggest that it means the name is OK), the effort continues.

The announcement comes on the heels of Wednesday night’s wild-card playoff game hosted by the Cleveland Indians, which included fans with their faces painted red.  Which will do nothing to take steam out of the effort to change the Redskins name.

It’s coming, folks.  At some point in the next 50 years, the name will change.  And people who didn’t want the name to change will argue against it for 50 more years.

And in 100 years, whoever is occupying the planet will look back in amazement at the fact that, in the year 2013, a pro football team was still named Redskins and baseball fans treated a playoff game like a modified minstrel show.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
57 Responses to “Opponents of Redskins name plan to make case at owners’ meeting”
  1. comatrip1 says: Oct 3, 2013 2:19 PM

I live in Cleveland. I’m an Indians (and Browns) fan. And I think the name needs to change. If it offends a large group of people, it has no place. I say we go back to the Spiders like we were called back in 1890 or whenever it was.

2. sadskinsfan89 says: Oct 3, 2013 2:22 PM

ur a fortune teller? u kno exact dates on when the name will change? if u think its so offensive then y cover the team? hail to the Redskins

3. stull60060 says: Oct 3, 2013 2:22 PM

4. bdl08 says: Oct 3, 2013 2:22 PM

These guys need to get a life … seriously.

5. tigers182 says: Oct 3, 2013 2:27 PM

The people who have the biggest problem with the name are white people who are trying to let everyone know what great people they are. They find one group of native Americans who don’t like it to support their argument. Over 90% of Native Americans have no problem with the name.

6. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 3, 2013 2:27 PM

There won’t be any amazement when people of the future watch the game film and see how ridiculous things are with the way the rules work. Well there’s our answer, these people were just stupid, ignorant, and consumed by greed too much to figure out how to do the right thing or the logical thing. No mystery or shock should be in play.

7. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Oct 3, 2013 2:28 PM

I thought the name wasn’t offensive to anyone?

8. ganja4all says: Oct 3, 2013 2:33 PM

The continued use of ignorance by the left progressive faction is offensive and appalling. Political correctness is the direct evidence that some are incapable of valid thought. This type of thinking, or more importantly, non-think, is just silly and without merit.

9. pbo6385 says: Oct 3, 2013 2:35 PM

I could do without reading the pontification. Irish people consider the term “Fighting Irish” to be a proud recognition of their people and history. Similarly, most Indians I know are proud that America and, in this case, the Washington Redskins, honor the heritage of the American Indians. I suppose some people would rather erase entirely from the history books the fact that the American Indians were ever here and that we largely eradicated them from the country. Thankfully, some higher minded people and institutions would rather honor the Indians by naming one of the greatest NFL franchise in their honor.

10. dryzzt23 says: Oct 3, 2013 2:37 PM

I am SICK of all this political correctness! People (liberals specifically) need to get a spine and a life. Pretty soon they will want to change the names of animals, of military planes and weapons, so that they are “less violent”.
    These people are responsible for the wussification of the United States.

11. pbo6385 says: Oct 3, 2013 2:37 PM

Why is the fact that someone is offended by it relevant whatsoever? Forever one person that claims to be offended by it, I could name 10 Indians that would be offended by a decision by the Washington NFL franchise to no longer honor the American Indian.

12. pftmz says: Oct 3, 2013 2:43 PM

Why aren’t we up in arms over the Browns? If we painted our faces brown, what would people say? What if a team was named the Blacks?

I have no problem with any of this and no one else would either if someone didn’t tell them it was offensive.

13. tonycrilly says: Oct 3, 2013 2:53 PM

I am a longtime redskins fan (since 1972) and live in Upstate, NY (Conesus Lake) and every year for the last twenty years I go to the Adirondacks with my family and we usually stop by the Oneida Nation Indian Gambling Resort in Verona, Syracuse, NY area and spend about $2000. However, I have since boycotted stopping there on the way to the Adirondaks and will no longer support that Oneida Nation resort and have told all my Redskins friends to also boycott it…..I will no longer support that Oneida Indian reservation anymore because I find them offensive!

14. maiphatdong says: Oct 3, 2013 3:00 PM

As a football fan i’m offended that the Raiders are considered a NFL team.

15. annapterp says: Oct 3, 2013 3:03 PM

Is this really that big a deal. If someone is offended by the name of a sports team they need to grow a thicker skin…whatever color skin you want to make it!

16. psufan220 says: Oct 3, 2013 3:03 PM

Look up the word Oklahoma, and in Choctaw it means red people. Why is nobody clam morning for it to be changed?

17. dd393 says: Oct 3, 2013 3:06 PM

Oh, brother. Time to go and look for something constructive to do. The Redskins have been around forever and now all of a sudden it’s offensive?

18. hendawg21 says: Oct 3, 2013 3:07 PM

Get real everyone’s offended by something these days it’s the politically correct thing to do these days…I say quit the damn whining and move on with your life. I’m part Cherokee, Blackfoot and Choctaw Indian and I could care less and it doesn’t offend me at all…

19. dryzzt23 says: Oct 3, 2013 3:15 PM

I’m offended by political correctness. Leave politics out of the sports world.

20. peytonsneck18 says: Oct 3, 2013 3:16 PM

Only thing about the redskins that is offensive is the overated IRG3 AND Pierre gar-bage

21. palefaceflorio says: Oct 3, 2013 3:19 PM

I hear that prides of African lions have joined a class-action lawsuit to have the Detroit Lions name and logo changed. The African lions say they are offended by being associated with a pro-sports team that continuously loses; having gone over half a century of being quote, “Inept, futile and the laughing stock of the NFL.”

22. gafraidh says: Oct 3, 2013 3:20 PM

The Oneida are just ticked off because the white man stole their land 250 years ago; and that the Onondaga and Cayuga tribes have more chiefs (can I use that word?) at the big table.

23. jg8771 says: Oct 3, 2013 3:25 PM

As someone from Western Pennsylvania who’s father worked in steel mills for years, I’m horribly offended that the local football team is called the Steelers. Steel workers were treated abominably for years by the owners and managers of these facilities and for the local football team to glorify that situation is despicable.

Furthermore, as someone of German and English decent I’m disgusted that the football team in Minnesota is called the Vikings. Vikings were brutal invaders who killed and raped tens of thousands of Northern Europeans and for the NFL to glorify that situation is wrong and disrespectful to the plight of my long dead ancestors.

Furthermore, as a proud member of the class Mammal, I’m stunned and saddened that the football team in Philadelphia is called the Eagles. Everyday ten of thousands of mammals are killed by Eagles who devour these poor creatures for sustenance. How can the NFL glorify the horrendous plight of these creatures? Its awful! The name must change!

This is the problem, where does it stop? How many people have to be offended before action is necessary to save all of us from nomenclature?

24. 2jivecrew says: Oct 3, 2013 3:27 PM

The NFL likely won’t even be around in 50 years. I’m not convinced this country as we know it will even be around 50 years. We’ll have bigger fish to fry. We’ll look back in amazement alright, amazement that people got their panties in a bunch over such trivial sticks and stones.

25. blutbaddenbill says: Oct 3, 2013 3:29 PM

probably invited by the man who was the victim of many Cleveland steamer with a cherry on to,Mara from the NYGiants!

26. rcali says: Oct 3, 2013 3:34 PM

How about the Washington Corrupt Politicians? It’s a name I think we can all agree on. Their logo could be a senator taking a picture of his package on his phone. That would be classic.

27. mp42245 says: Oct 3, 2013 3:34 PM

################################################################################################
    Why should the Browns change. It was named after Paul Brown, the owner at the time. If I owned a team. I’d name them the Mikes.

28. sbchampsagain says: Oct 3, 2013 3:36 PM

It’s sad to say, but if you erase the offenseve sports team names in America, there’s a good chance our lowbrow society will completely forget about our proud Native American predecessors all together.

IMO, if you change the name, change it to the DC Shawnee or the like.

And that way the RG3 fans can still sing that song of theirs. “Hail to the Shawn-ee!”

29. mrplow3 says: Oct 3, 2013 3:40 PM

“And in 100 years, whoever is occupying the planet will look back in amazement at the fact that, in the year 2013, a pro football team was still named Redskins”

No, no they won’t.

30. mnesmith77 says: Oct 3, 2013 3:44 PM

I feel that anyone can be offended by a name.

I have heard people who say they are offended by the name WHITE House!!! We all know there is no racial meaning behind the name but because a group of people believe who believe it is racist because of the word “WHITE” Should the name have to be changed?

I’m personally offended by Kanye West naming his child North West but who am I to tell him to change it.

31. thelastpieceofcheese says: Oct 3, 2013 3:47 PM

Unfortunately for some, there is a little piece of paper called the US Constitution that includes a First Amendment that guarantees to all Americans, among other things, freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech allows the NFL Washington football team to call itself REDSKINS.

This right was affirmed by a 2009 U.S. Supreme Court decision.

32. dawgtown86 says: Oct 3, 2013 4:03 PM

The quickest way to make yourself irrelevant in this conversation is to make it about political correctness. It’s not. It’s also not a ‘who’s offended’ issue. Animal team names are not offensive because animal names are not racial slurs, and invoking the Packers says more about you than it does this issue. The Browns are named after Paul Brown, the hall of fame coach who first coached the team.

If it shouldn’t be a big deal because it’s just a sports team then change the name because for some people it’s heritage.

I’ve been a Cleveland fan my entire life and like idea to return to the Cleveland Spiders. Whether they meant to or not the misguided Cleveland fans who painted their faces just added the Tribe to this conversation.

33. jcpskins says: Oct 3, 2013 4:09 PM

Why not change the Logo to a Redskin Potato? They could still be called the Redskins and everyone is happy! All kinding aside, the name is fine and all my 35 years of being a fan i never associated the name as a raciest term.. find something else to do! HTTR

34. painsyndicate says: Oct 3, 2013 4:44 PM

I am offended by the name “Browns”. Brown is the color of poop. It needs to be changed.

However, I am not a liberal basket case so I guess nothing will happen here.

35. grumpyoleman says: Oct 3, 2013 4:52 PM

I’m offended by bald eagles

36. turtlehut says: Oct 3, 2013 5:23 PM

Once the ‘Skins change their name they will go after the Cleveland Indians in their fund raising pitches! Great way to live a nice lifestyle praying on liberal guilt. Maybe when they run out of Native American affronts (30-40 years?) these guys can go after the Vikings, Fighting Irish, etc.

37. NoHomeTeam says: Oct 3, 2013 5:47 PM

dawgtown86 says: The quickest way to make yourself irrelevant in this conversation is to make it about political correctness. It’s not. It’s also not a ‘who’s offended’ issue . . .

***********

I feel like creating another login just so I can give this more than one Thumb Up.

38. gmenfan1982 says: Oct 3, 2013 5:51 PM

I would be considered a “PC” liberal by many and I don’t see a big deal with any of this. Be angry about REAL racism where people are actually treated the wrong way, not the name of a sports team.

39. irishnativeson says: Oct 3, 2013 5:57 PM

Every single comment on this site pertaining to this issue, that has supported the perpetuation of a racial epithet, demonstrates one thing and one thing only. Conservative ideology is nothing more than the putrefaction of a moribund mentality and apparently the majority of football fans suffer from this affliction. Retarded doesn’t begin to adequately characterize the substance of the multitude of arguments, of which most are meant to be sarcastic, and then repeated ad nauseum. The ironic part about it all is, I believe you all expect to be taken seriously. No that’s funny, I don’t care who you are.

40. rugolin says: Oct 3, 2013 6:08 PM

Daniel Synder should go with the nuclear option on the NFL by moving out of Washington all together and taking his franchise to Los Angeles. Once there he can choose any team name and then the NFL will have to figure out how to fill in the hole in the Washington/Virginia area without anymore expansion happening. Good luck trying to bring fans back in that area and getting any fans to come out in Los Angeles.

41. goodellisruiningtheleague says: Oct 3, 2013 6:39 PM

We should be focusing on the government shutdown rather than a stupid football team name.

42. darrellgreens40time says: Oct 3, 2013 6:42 PM

Instead of the Skins name, how about protesting our inept, ineffective government?

43. gtodriver says: Oct 3, 2013 7:04 PM

“On Monday, October 7, the Oneida Indian Nation of New York will convene at the Ritz-Carlton in Georgetown to advance its “Change the Mascot” campaign.”

Maybe “convening” at the Ritz will increase the participation to a number over the 17 or so that “convened” in Green Bay.

A luxury hotel setting will attract more rich people who like to feel self important.

Because their money makes their opinions more important than the rest of us….

44. legendaryordinance says: Oct 3, 2013 7:19 PM

As a Mexican im offended by the browns name. So Cleveland has to change too. And as a thief im offended by the raiders name that has to go to. And since im under 6ft might as well change the giants name. Since we going to be political correct about every stupid thing we may as just assign letters for the teams. Go Pittsburgh X’s !!

45. legendaryordinance says: Oct 3, 2013 7:25 PM

how about the Washington Redtapes. Since we constantly have to shut the government down due to poor finances

46. eagles512 says: Oct 3, 2013 7:29 PM

Still think fighting Irish is more offensive

47. lance19 says: Oct 3, 2013 7:33 PM

Do some people really only think that “liberals” dislike ethnic slurs? What would that say about the non-liberals?

48. portlandmainefan says: Oct 3, 2013 8:09 PM

I am offended by the name celtics. As an irish american I resent the leprechaun image.

49. portlandmainefan says: Oct 3, 2013 8:11 PM

My wife is nordic and offended by the vikings. It needs to be changed for her to find any peace and serenity.

50. raiderapologist says: Oct 3, 2013 8:48 PM

Back in the day I caught squawfish in squaw creek. Now I catch pikeminnows in squaw creek. Same damn creek, same damn carp. Name change is weak.

51. aoc57 says: Oct 3, 2013 11:07 PM

It’s not a racial slur. The Natives at the time used Red Ochre (Iron Oxide) as their war paint/sunblock. This is how they were identified by other. IN FACT – Ives Goddard (Smithsonian Institute) did a study on this and found that the first usage of the word “Red skin” was by the Natives themselves when describing themselves.

The other notion that the name is due to the bounty used for the scalps (red skins) of Native out west is also false. For two reasons – one being Ives Goddard’s study showing there was no proof…ever; and the other being if this is the logic being used than any ethnicity would be classified as a “red skin” since we all would have bloody scalps.

So if you say it’s racial – then you are referring to the Red Ochre which would be paying homage to the Natives.

If you say it’s derogatory by itself then you are wrong because everyone would have a red scalp underneath and you can’t single out one group of people.

SO which is it? Besides this PC crap – tell me the actual reason why it is offensive? More offensive than Chief Wahoo of the Cleveland Indians or more offensive than some of the NCAA mascots that are out there (Long Beach Dirt Bags, Bethany College Terrible Swedes, etc.)

It’s a mascot. Go look up the history of the Spartan and pedastry and then tell me why we allow that as a mascot in our educational institutions?

52. 12is3times4 says: Oct 3, 2013 11:07 PM

@stull60060: “The name will change IF and when the OWNER wants to. Nothing else and NO ONE ELSE MATTERS. GO POUND SAND.”

Here’s the thing, though: Daniel Snyder isn’t going to own the team forever. At some point before he dies, he will have to either sell the team, or arrange for it to be transferred to his heirs – either of which would require approval from the other owners.

Now, this probably won’t come to pass for many years, but there’s a good chance that by the time it does, most of the other owners will either come around to wanting the name changed, even if only to just make the whole controversy go away. In that case, they will be in a position to effectively force a name change, by making it a precondition for their approval of the sale. (This, as you may recall, is also how MLB strong-armed the Houston Astros into switching leagues.)

53. rasta028 says: Oct 4, 2013 4:26 AM

I hope Snyder tells them to take a hike.

54. niltol says: Oct 4, 2013 3:51 PM

After 80 years. Please. If u don’t like the team to pay attention to it!
    Hail to the REDSKINS!

55. monkeyboymotors says: Oct 4, 2013 8:46 PM

Redskins , Cowboys , Vikings , Saints , Giants , Texans , Titans , 49er’s , Packer’s . Steeler’s , Raider’s , Buccaneers , Patriots , Buffalo Bills ,Kanas City Chiefs , Cleveland Browns , Yankees, Braves, Dodgers, Angels, Mets, Indians, Athletics , Cincinnati Reds, Royals, S.F. Giants, Twins, Nationals, Brewers, Pirates, Padres, Mariners, Rangers, Celtics, Knicks, Cavaliers, Kings, Warriors, Mavericks, Blackhawks, Stars, Predators, Oilers Canucks, N.Y. Rangers, N.Y. Islanders, Bruins, N.J. Devils, Montreal Canadiens , Senators! I don’t have enough room to even start with college teams that would obviously offend someone! Everyone of these names offend someone. suck it up America!

56. irishnativeson says: Oct 4, 2013 9:33 PM

It’s all too easy when every potato head that has an internet connection is all to willing to prove my point. The simplicity is astonishing, take your parochial, political perspective and go indoctrinate your own progeny and leave the people with a grain of sense and the ability to see things from a perspective other than the sock puppet they were educated from to make decisions like adults. In case you hadn’t noticed the majority of posters here are doing all of the pee whining.

57. tigersfandan says: Oct 5, 2013 11:39 AM

irishnativeson says: Oct 3, 2013 5:57 PM

____________________________________

I’m offended by that. This means you have to retract it, right?