Patriots sign Austin Collie

Austin Collie AP

The Patriots finally signed a wide receiver with experience, even if he’s as injury plagued as some of their others.

According to Field Yates of ESPNBoston.com, the Patriots have signed former Colts Austin Collie.

The Patriots were among the many teams that brought Collie in for a look this offseason,  and he spent some time in training camp with the 49ers.

He’s been productive when well, but has missed 22 games the last three seasons because of concussions and a ruptured patellar tendon.

He gives them some insurance, at a time when four of their six wideouts are on the injury report.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Patriots sign Austin Collie”
  1. sschmiggles says: Oct 3, 2013 11:03 AM

Could mean that Dobson may not be ready to play for a few weeks. Amendola sounds like he’s getting close.

2. andrewluck12 says: Oct 3, 2013 11:05 AM

miss this guy! hate that he’s a patriot but i hope he gets his career going again

3. jnbnet says: Oct 3, 2013 11:08 AM

Sure hope he helps. The Patriots have the potential to beat the Bengals this week, but it won’t be easy. Tom Brady is doing a fantastic job of making these rookies look good, but he can only do so much.

4. cajunaise says: Oct 3, 2013 11:11 AM

I speak for a bunch of Colts fans when I say that, despite him being with the Patriots, I hope he does really well. A good player beset by concussions – I’d like this story to have a happy ending.

5. xxsweepthelegxx says: Oct 3, 2013 11:12 AM

I wish the kid well. Tremendous talent when healthy…didn’t hurt Manning was throwing him the ball, hopefully he has success with Brady and the Pats too

6. 4ever19 says: Oct 3, 2013 11:12 AM

My soul is sad – but I guess a man’s gotta eat.

7. azarkhan says: Oct 3, 2013 11:14 AM

He makes Amendola look healthy by comparison. I’m sure Tom Brady is positively ecstatic.

8. ampats says: Oct 3, 2013 11:14 AM

I would have thought that Deion Branch would be #1 on speed dial. When healthy Austin Collie has more upside but he is just for insurance as I doubt he will be on the roster by the end of the season.

9. psteen21 says: Oct 3, 2013 11:30 AM

so basically brady and manning traded receivers

10. devildog911 says: Oct 3, 2013 11:36 AM

Good pick up. As a Colts fan, I wish him the best and hope he can resume his career.

11. peytonsneck18 says: Oct 3, 2013 11:38 AM

unfortunately, they will only keep collie for a week or 2 then release him, hope collie makes the most of his time there, hes good guy

12. garopj25 says: Oct 3, 2013 12:12 PM

Patriots love their small white slot receivers.

13. tedmurph says: Oct 3, 2013 12:13 PM

The Pats had him in in June, 8.5 months off a patella tendon, and he may have not been ready yet. Still, 4 concussions since 2010 and not being able to make the 49ers, whose WR situation is not much better that the Pats, is not a good sign. Probably just Amendola insurance

14. fordmandalay says: Oct 3, 2013 12:28 PM

Over/Under for season ending injury is 3 1/2 games.

15. kaperchoke says: Oct 3, 2013 1:16 PM

Pats FO > 9ers FO

16. surfinbird1 says: Oct 3, 2013 1:50 PM

Can’t hurt. It’s tough when you can’t play ball because of health issues,not talent issues. Good luck.

17. harrisonhits2 says: Oct 3, 2013 2:15 PM

ampats says:

I would have thought that Deion Branch would be #1 on speed dial
    ____________________

C’mon man. Deion is slower than an offensive lineman at this point and was utterly and totally unable to get separation when he played last year.

That’s why he had a grand total of 16 catches last year and wasn’t brought back this year.

I think Collie is a temp pickup and they figure he’s smart enough to learn a half dozen routes very quickly and may give them something extra the Bengals haven’t had time to prepare for. One the regular guys are healed and active he’ll be cut.

Given his concussion history and the way the NFL is approaching hits to the head these days, I’d say Collie would be lucky to make it through 2 or 3 games without getting into injury trouble. But hey, if he can help the Pats win 1 or 2 games before he’s cut or hurt then its a good signing.

18. steelerben says: Oct 3, 2013 3:07 PM

I guess Tenessee wants too much for Kenny Britt. Or New England is afraid that Boston is too close to Jersey.

19. bleedrangerblue says: Oct 3, 2013 6:52 PM

He can keep Amendola company when they are injured. Go Jets!!