Earl Thomas says Richard Sherman can talk all he wants

Sherman Getty Images

Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman remains among the best in the game.  And remains not bashful about saying so.

Seahawks safety Earl Thomas has no problem with Sherman’s propensity to pop off.

“We need that,” Thomas told Erik Kuselias of NBCSN’s Pro Football Talk.  “He feeds off his own energy and that’s him as a ballplayer.  You can’t make a guy get outside of his own character.  That’s what so great, we have so many personalities yet we have the same vision and the same goal as far as dominate every chance we get and get where we want at the end of the year.”

So is there a limit to how much Sherman should talk?

“Not when you’re making plays like that,” Thomas said.  “He can talk all he wants, he’s backing it up.  We’re behind him 100 percent.  There is no one else I would want as teammates other than the two guys we have outside as cornerbacks.”

Sherman’s talking on Thursday included the word “perspicacious,” which means he’s also better at Scrabble than Skip Bayless.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
33 Responses to “Earl Thomas says Richard Sherman can talk all he wants”
  1. Smarterthanyou says: Oct 4, 2013 7:37 AM

Richard Sherman backs up everything he says.
    Donates his time and money to charities.
    Well educated with a degree.
    Speaks English properly.
    A leader on and off the field.
    Plays the game the right way.

No other CB in the game has all if those attributes. NOBODY

Haters can hate all they want, but the guy is a winner and the best shut down corner in the game. PERIOD.

Oh, BTW. Thomas is the best Safety in the game……..after Eric Berry

2. beastmode5150 says: Oct 4, 2013 7:38 AM

I want any Sherman haters to really think about one thing, and do so honestly. You are who you are right, and you wouldn’t let someone say “you talk too much, you don’t do this, you should do that” right? He is who he is, and his teammates respect him, as do most players in the league if you asked them (I am sure, as some have stated as much), because of what earl said, he backs it up. As a guy that lives in seattle, I will say he annoys me with some of that stuff, because honestly I don’t dig trash talk too much, or people that brag, but I REALLY like watching people that are elite at their job, wether it’s sports, or CEO’s, or Waiters, I don’t care, I respect dominance. I know some of you won’t care, since you don’t see it, but this guy is almost second to none in the community ( nobody can out do Russell in that) and helps so math kids it’s insane). He came from Compton, dad still drives a garbage truck, so he has that chip, and is who he is.

3. Smarterthanyou says: Oct 4, 2013 7:39 AM

And Sherman is better at life.
    More intelligent.
    Does not threaten holdouts for new contracts every other year.

No other CB has those attributes either.

4. ctiggs says: Oct 4, 2013 8:08 AM

Ahhh the Adderall makes all of them talk to much. Your trophy case is empty cheathawks. #goNINERS

5. overweightman says: Oct 4, 2013 8:12 AM

Perpetual motion is impossible. Something can’t feed off its own energy forever.

6. cgravyboat says: Oct 4, 2013 8:18 AM

I’m not a Seahawks fan, but I LOVE me some Richard Sherman. He is exactly what the NFL (read: no fun league) needs. I used to love watching people like Ochocinco before the NFL clamped down on them. Keep talking!!!

7. realitycheckbaby says: Oct 4, 2013 8:34 AM

Good for Thomas and good for Sherman.

Not just a mouth.

Intelligent.

And he backs it up.

8. jimthebuilder27 says: Oct 4, 2013 8:38 AM

Darn good player, but went a little overboard with regard to Skip Bayless. And I hate Skip Bayless before anyone bashes me.

I’m curious how he does against his former college teammate Andrew Luck! :)

9. facetious0ne says: Oct 4, 2013 9:40 AM

He is absolutely right. Sherman backs up his talk to he can say whatever, but as history has showed with these loud mouth players.. There will be a time when things are not so well and we all will have a laugh at his expense. Good reason to stay humble if you ask me.

10. dukeearl says: Oct 4, 2013 10:47 AM

ctiggs,
    Let me know how much that dusty trophy case helps you this season.

11. mattj425 says: Oct 4, 2013 11:09 AM

“He feeds off his own energy” — well I would hope so. We all feed off of our own energy.

I do agree that Sherman’s a great player. My only hope is that over time his bravado remains consistent with his play. I find it sad when past their prime players keep up the talking well past the point where they should have stopped.

12. dualprime says: Oct 4, 2013 11:25 AM

Sherman has a Dion Sanders mouth with Kareem Jackson ability. Arrogance is its own reward!

13. ydousuk says: Oct 4, 2013 1:16 PM

ctiggs says: Oct 4, 2013 8:08 AM

————————————————————–

RECORD?

HEAD TO HEAD…………….

14. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 4, 2013 1:24 PM

He sure can, Earl.

15. slugbaitspace says: Oct 4, 2013 1:27 PM

jimthebuilder27 says:
    Oct 4, 2013 8:38 AM
    Darn good player, but went a little overboard with regard to Skip Bayless.
    ——
    A couple of weeks ago, Skip Bayless let it be known that he thought the ‘hawks were still in the AFC.

So…no, it wasn’t overboard at all.

16. texansfan81 says: Oct 4, 2013 1:32 PM

Lol. Sherman sure couldn’t shut down Andre Johnson. 9 catches over 100 yards.

17. laserw says: Oct 4, 2013 1:54 PM

Sherman is one accurate and honest urine sample away from suspension. What a fraud this fool is.

18. tincansailor981 says: Oct 4, 2013 2:21 PM

Not a fan of loud mouths like Sherman but the man has few equals on the field; dude can flat out play. He’s well educated, and articulate in public, a rarity among pro athletes these days. I have to respect that.

19. rw14prez says: Oct 4, 2013 3:07 PM

I love the whiner haters that come on our awesome sports news to hate and troll and remind us about there 19 th century bowl wins and no hate good job, do remember this we have not had 40 extra years to get those trophies and if my memory is correct we let u get Montana in draft so your welcome and hold on to those dusty old trophy s and enjoy watching hawks 10 yr dynasty and troll else wr !!!!!!!
    Ps. Sherm is prob better then u in everything btw I know him and his bro Brandon there good peeps his moms is super sweet to!!
    And don’t forget u had TO on your team and man he could never shut his mouth

Go hawks !!!!

20. rw14prez says: Oct 4, 2013 3:10 PM

And earl is the sh&$ to amazing human and will be top 10 greatest safety in football when said and done. I got to hang with both them and both are smart as u can be and nicest people I’ve met. In my 30 or so yrs alive. GO HAWKS. Good luck on luck

21. gudy2shoes says: Oct 4, 2013 3:22 PM

Richard could end the government shutdown!

22. swaggyy says: Oct 4, 2013 3:36 PM

Anyone who can back up everything they say can only deserve respect. Mad respect. Anybody that doesn’t like Richard is just a jealous person who wishes he was on their favorite fan. Defensive player of the month and all-pro Stanford grad from Compton!

Go Richard!
    Go hawks!

23. swaggyy says: Oct 4, 2013 3:37 PM

Whoops I meant on their favorite team

24. allidoiswin55 says: Oct 4, 2013 3:40 PM

Texans fan. The seahawks have the best set of cornerbacks in the nfl. Including the nickel, one main hurdle that Sherman faces in winning the best cb in league title is that fact that they rarely swap sides or follow players. When any cb on the field is usually as good or better than the other teams wr they don’t need to run around and shadow players.

Because of this he doesn’t always get the best marquee match up bc opposing teams offenses although rough would rather line up against another player. Mostly bc Seattle has been and will continue to be #1 against opposing teams #1 receiver.

Point being Johnson didn’t line up against Sherman much, your bitter over a loss, but adding all his yards up against 1 player to try and dispute something when your wrong really makes you look stupid.

I saw 1-2 passes completed against Sherman that game. Not 100 or even close. The major prow with that game was how long the Seattle defense was on the field in the first half. Mostly bc the seahawks were missing 3 starting offensive lineman count it THREE there is not one team who would have survived that. Not Brady Manning, Brees, no one bc Wilson had to run for his life, Two of those 3 are playing again and will only missed that game.

Excuses excuses, keep ballin Sherman they’ll always be haters trying to manipulate stats improperly.

25. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 4, 2013 3:58 PM

As I said earlier, before my comment was deleted (no profanity, no name calling???) I watch every game, and I saw Johnson catch 5 or 6 on Browner and Maxwell, and another with Malcolm Smith on him. Two on Sherman’s side in ZONE and he only beat him ONCE in straight up man press.

26. chawk12thman says: Oct 4, 2013 4:57 PM

allidoiswin55 may want to watch the Hawks a bit more. They play press; man all the time.

One thing that you will also see is that when a WR gets the best of Sherman on any play, he gives props to that WR…..He may talk and back up his play but it is also obvious that he appreciates and respects others’ great play.

Glad we have him on our team. Go Hawks!

27. radar8 says: Oct 4, 2013 6:33 PM

I think that Sherman can eventually be as good as Dion, but he has a ways to go.

About Seattle. Bragging rights are earned. Once you win a championship you can START bragging. Until then, it means nothing. IT’s simply fans (that have suffered for years , winning nothing) letting out pent-up frustration.

A team needs to at least win an NFC or AFC title to brag. Regular season games only have meaning if they get you into the playoffs…. AND you win in the playoffs.

So far, Seattle has drawn blanks.

28. tobis81 says: Oct 4, 2013 7:38 PM

Sherman is a Stanford graduate who plays in the NFL, and is the best at his craft. These 49er TROLLS who spend their lives on Hawk articles are probably HS drop outs who can’t even hold a job at the local Jack In The Box. Enough said, HAHAHA.

BTW, did you guys see this letter that some pathetic 49er toolbag wrote after they got destroyed by us AGAIN a few weeks ago? See below…

“Was anyone else appalled by the unsportsmanlike conduct of the Seattle Seahawks and their fans, juiced on noise, which surely creates as big an advantage over an opponent as any performance enhancing drug and which, to their shame, NFL officials turn the same blind eye they have to concussions and drugs (“Seattle states case loudly, clearly in rout,” Sports, Sept. 16)?

It would be simple to fix. Seahawks players and managers would ask their fans to cease and desist, and the NFL would implement a new rule: The visiting team may stop the game when fan noise is greater than a specified decibel level, and should this rule be violated in more than three games, no home games will be played at the offending field for the rest of the season, including playoff games. Things would quiet down.

At a time when the world seems sour, sports give us a place of joy, community and hope, and to have it spoiled is a bigger loss than it seems on the surface.”

I couldn’t stop laughing when I read this. It just proves how pitiful their pathetic fanbase is. Of course what do you expect from a bunch of losers who stab other fans in their parking lot, and RANT about trophies from a quarter of a century ago, LMFAO!

29. tobis81 says: Oct 4, 2013 7:59 PM

@RADAR8- Do you think before you speak, or are you just an idiot? The Hawks have made it to the playoffs many times, and won playoff games, including just last year. The Hawks have also won an NFC Championship which as you stated means something. You wanna rant about SB trophies, yet the 49ers haven’t won one of those in roughly 20 years. They mean nothing in 2013 smart guy!!! Get over it, and get a new line. Come talk to me about trophies when we have been around for 65+ years like the 49ers.

30. jason9696 says: Oct 4, 2013 11:31 PM

His father is a garbage man. So you’d think he’d be a little more humble.

31. rw14prez says: Oct 5, 2013 4:08 AM

Well said tobis 81 , my thoughts exactly and why come to our articals and say we have no trophies we will very soon and we have a reason to be pumped and be stoked about the 2013 hawks and if u don’t like it stay the F off are blogs bit@&$ !!!!! Bunch of hating azz trolls !! GO HAWKS ps. And stay off our nutz and talk about your boy smith pills weed and sloshed at 7 am , I’m no angel and I’m sure there was more in his system not mentioned to save fate for there poor disfuctional football team and your coach is a hypocrit , do you whiner fans see that, prob not to much come in ur ears . Yes spelled it that way so don’t get flagged ha ha ha ha ha see u in dec. 8 th please come troll are articals that say hawks can when at lamelstick park !!!!!!

GO HAWKS !! Rw next mixed prez for sure after his 6 Super Bowl wins in a blue and sweet azz lime green uniforms you flamers hate on to !!!! Lmao I hate whiner fans. Be classy like Houston and colts are take it like your town is used to no lube HIV passers

32. Arias says: Oct 5, 2013 8:34 PM

Who is Kareem Jackson? There’s no All-Pro DB named Kareem Jackson. You’ve got your facts wrong dualprime.

33. bhagos2 says: Oct 6, 2013 9:40 AM

Is he a great player on and off the field?

Absolutely.

One of the shutdown corners in the league who CAN back up his talk. CB is my favorite position by far. I love watching guys like Patrick Peterson, Ladarius Webb and Joe Haden play as well.

Sherman has SKILL… but at the same time it’s hard to say he’s not a product of that amazing secondary of all pro-bowlers… No chance he’s better than Revis. Put Revis on ANY team and QB’s won’t even bother looking on that side of the field.

Anyone who disagrees watch more tape.