MRI on Friday morning expected to “confirm” ACL tear for Hoyer

Hoyer Getty Images

Yes, the Browns fear a torn ACL for Brian Hoyer.  That’s what pretty much every team fears any time a player injures a knee.

More specifically, the bad news for Hoyer is that (per a league source) the physical examination of his knee, including the joint manipulation that shows stability or lack thereof, points to a torn ACL.

The good news, if there is any, is that the manipulation of the knee suggests no other damage.

A Friday morning MRI is expected to “confirm” the ACL tear, per a league source.  No other ligament damage is expected to be found.

In the end, the MRI provides the clearest picture.  In many cases, including this one, it simply provides confirmation.

If the ACL is torn, Hoyer will undoubtedly have surgery and be placed on injured reserve.  Technically, his season will end as the only Browns quarterback in franchise history to win his first three starts.  Whether he has a fourth start in 2014 for the Browns becomes an unsettled question, at best.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
52 Responses to “MRI on Friday morning expected to “confirm” ACL tear for Hoyer”
  1. rayvens says: Oct 4, 2013 9:06 AM

Damn man, this is really saddening. and i’m a Ravens Fan.

2. kosarkid says: Oct 4, 2013 9:08 AM

Why does this kind of stuff always happen to us in Cleveland?

3. anygivenwednesday13 says: Oct 4, 2013 9:08 AM

“The Drive.” “The Fumble.” “The Decision.” And I now submit that Brian Hoyer’s injury be now known as: “The WTH does the good Lord have against the city of Cleveland?”

4. sterilizecromartie says: Oct 4, 2013 9:10 AM

As strange as this may sound, this may be good for the Browns. The way Hoyer was playing the franchise may have (incorrectly) seen him as a franchise QB thus passing on the blue-chip prospects in next years draft. Now with him hurt and Weeden at the helm the team will win 6-7 games, pair their pick with the Colts pick to move up, and grab a real franchise QB in the top five.

5. dawgdaysofsummer says: Oct 4, 2013 9:13 AM

Noooooooooo…
    We dont want to go back to the Factory of Sadness!
    We like the Factory of Kick Assness!

6. ccjcsr says: Oct 4, 2013 9:14 AM

See ya next summer for training camp…

#done

7. floratiotime says: Oct 4, 2013 9:16 AM

Sweet run there braniac. Way to blow your big chance.

8. harrisonhits2 says: Oct 4, 2013 9:17 AM

Really bad luck for a really good guy. Damn shame for Hoyer after sitting behind Brady for years, finally gets his chance, does well with the opportunity and whammo that’s it.

Hope you heal fast and get a chance from the Browns again next year Brian !

9. onereasonableman says: Oct 4, 2013 9:18 AM

Good feelings gone…

10. ctiggs says: Oct 4, 2013 9:19 AM

This sad, as a fellow Ohioan, at some point the Browns need to catch a positive break for once. #goNINERS

11. titusyoungslegalcounsel says: Oct 4, 2013 9:22 AM

Good. Browns players were taunting after Manuel was hit and the scumbag fans cheered when he stayed down. Glad there season will fall with Weeden. Oh and there Defense is way overrated. Robert Woods made Haden look average

12. Patskrieg dot com says: Oct 4, 2013 9:23 AM

I honestly didn’t think Hoyer was capable of succeeding at all, and it was really cool to watch him prove me wrong. That being said, I can’t think of a sadder story line than this for the 2013 season. Hope he heals up and returns to form.

13. ccjcsr says: Oct 4, 2013 9:30 AM

My ACL was torn and I rubbed some dirt on it and continued to play!

RG3

#RubberKnees

14. skoobyfl says: Oct 4, 2013 9:30 AM

Kiko changes lives.

15. 1uniquename says: Oct 4, 2013 9:30 AM

Agreed, as a Dolphin fan I know we had some good years way back and were competitive up until the mid 2000s but the Browns (and Cleveland in general) have just had sooo much bad luck that they truly deserve a break. I now root for Cleveland franchises against anyone other than South Florida teams. Good luck with your recovery Hoyer and GL Brownies!

16. suckmyhawk2012 says: Oct 4, 2013 9:31 AM

That’s too bad, I was really rooting for that guy and Cleveland as well.. They deserve a winner.

17. cobrala2 says: Oct 4, 2013 9:32 AM

I’ve always had a soft spot for Cleveland. I can’t understand what has cursed that town, though but The Fumble & The Drive are amongst my earliest memories of Football and I really enjoyed watching those Cleveland teams!

Anyways, BIG Kudos to the Browns for rallying after Hoyer left! Lesser teams would have caved immediately (like my Eagles did in the 2nd half last week) with the loss of their starting QB.

I hope Cleveland doesn’t lose but if you do, play with heart!

18. godofwine330 says: Oct 4, 2013 9:33 AM

“I knew it was you, ACL…you broke my heart.”

Born and raised a Clevelander, and for most of my 36 years I have seen The Fumble, The Drive, I was in bootcamp when told of The Move, my RDC said in Oct ’95, “Anybody here from Cleveland?” I proudly raised my hand. “Guess what, your team is moving to Baltimore. Hahaha”

Now this? We haven’t had a QB that looked like a QB since we came back. I didn’t know if it was smoke & mirrors. He did throw 3 picks vs the Vikings and worked wonders against a depleated Bengals D-backfield. I wanted to see how he would do against real competition. Now we will never get the chance and likely have a rookie QB next year.

19. cruzan80 says: Oct 4, 2013 9:35 AM

Josh Freeman……?

20. imageflood says: Oct 4, 2013 9:41 AM

As a Bills fan, I was totally bummed to see Hoyer go out like that. He has great presence in the pocket, and the game was shaping up to be an close match between two young QBs on their way up. Hope all these knees get better, since a great rivalry could shape up along the shores of Lake Erie.

21. sfm073 says: Oct 4, 2013 9:46 AM

I have had that test done to me several times and each time they thought I tore my acl, but I never really did.

22. natigator says: Oct 4, 2013 9:46 AM

In true Browns form, the young QB who has looked solid and rallied the team to 3 straight wins after being left for dead goes down for the season leaving legitimate questions as to whether or not he can be a long-term starter for them.

So will they burn their first round pick on a QB? If so, and he struggles, they will be no doubt thrown into the dreaded QB Controversy

I feel for this franchise. I really do

23. brownsclown says: Oct 4, 2013 9:46 AM

“Now with him hurt and Weeden at the helm the team will win 6-7 games, pair their pick with the Colts pick to move up, and grab a real franchise QB in the top five.”

Mike Lombardturd doing the packaging and selecting should make you more nervous than a chain smoker in a nitroglycerine factory. (Think Jamorca Russell!)

24. thetooloftools says: Oct 4, 2013 9:50 AM

I feel so badly for Brian Hoyer. He grew up 15 mins. from Cleveland Browns Stadium and used to wear a Bernie Kosar jersey playing in the yard with his friends. I wish him only the best and to keep his spirits up. Godspeed to you Brian.

25. brownoholic says: Oct 4, 2013 9:52 AM

It was a nightmare seeing the way he “slid.” Miracle we won w/ Weeden. Slowest thinking QB I’ve ever seen. Thanks again, Holmgren.

If Manuel didn’t get hurt as well, we’d have lost that game. No doubt.

Wishing the best to both QBs. And teams . . .

26. jagsfan1 says: Oct 4, 2013 10:03 AM

Feel bad for the dude. Can’t tell what happened there….if his foot got caught in turf that is a terrible break for him and those things happen…but it also looked like he was trying to do some horrible attempt at a slide….

Asking for trouble if you are going to slide that way….either way – bad break and hope he comes back strong.

27. kaeprulestheworld says: Oct 4, 2013 10:04 AM

DAMN!!!!

28. wferg1121 says: Oct 4, 2013 10:04 AM

Well, Josh Freeman is available.. I don’t think anybody knows what happened in Tampa, but he was a probowler.. I think Freeman would do well with Norv, and if the browns don’t draft a QB they can fill a lot of spots with all those picks next year…

29. bennyb82 says: Oct 4, 2013 10:04 AM

I am a Lions fan and cannot believe the bad luck the Browns have. Not only was Hoyer looking really good during his limited action, he was a great story too. I was thinking the hometown kid could revive the franchise…

30. toddc612 says: Oct 4, 2013 10:10 AM

Man, that’s a tough break. Coming from a Viking’s fan, this guy lit us up a couple weeks ago.. After being bad for so long (all my life, it seems), I think it would be fun to see the Browns succeed. Here’s hoping for a speedy recovery for Hoyer, and a great season for Cleveland.

31. jolink653 says: Oct 4, 2013 10:12 AM

As a Patriots fan, this really sucks to see…we’ve all seen how hard he worked behind Brady all those years and he deserved to start somewhere, and when he gets that opportunity, and plays really well, this happens…I wish him a speedy recovery and hopefully he bounces back and gets another chance next season

32. jolink653 says: Oct 4, 2013 10:12 AM

33. rando74 says: Oct 4, 2013 10:12 AM

That sucks dude

34. xxwhodatxx says: Oct 4, 2013 10:13 AM

I’m not even a Browns fan and that cheap shot pissed me off. Absolutely no reason that should’ve happened. If he doesn’t deserve a massive fine I don’t know who does.

35. baltimoresnativeson says: Oct 4, 2013 10:14 AM

Hoyer, ej, rgIII, Vick,

all qbs take note. Stop running!

These defenders are too big and fast.

36. groleo45 says: Oct 4, 2013 10:18 AM

Factory of Sadness gets results

37. jcjaguar says: Oct 4, 2013 10:19 AM

That sucks…both for Hoyer and the Browns

38. benchokeshischikin says: Oct 4, 2013 10:26 AM

Bengals fan here—Damn sorry to hear it. Get well soon lad.

39. idonthavethebloodyoucrave says: Oct 4, 2013 10:28 AM

I feel bad for Browns fans. This kid was playing really well and was working very hard to cease the opportunity. Get well soon, Mr. Hoyer.

40. jtbsteeler says: Oct 4, 2013 10:31 AM

You still lead the division. The Steelers are 0-4. You should feel good.

41. brocattosbasement says: Oct 4, 2013 10:34 AM

QB’s have to learn to slide. If Hoyer had slid, no hit or at least a penalty from the hit. Most likely, he wouldn’t have gotten injured. Manuel as well should have merely stepped out of bounds.

42. weepingjebus says: Oct 4, 2013 10:45 AM

It’s like the stadium is built on an Indian burial ground. C’mon Browns, the nation is pulling for you! You guys deserve some days in the sun.

43. jamesfield74 says: Oct 4, 2013 10:48 AM

The fact that Kiko wasn’t flagged was absolutely garbage. Hoyer gave himself up and the shot was late. The officials should be fined and Kiko needs to lose a game check.

Loved how the Browns battled back when they could have given up. The defense is nasty and needs to keep getting in people’s faces! Throwback time

44. All-American Voltron says: Oct 4, 2013 10:59 AM

Hoyer seemed on pace to really establish himself as “the guy” in Cleveland, but I’m afraid if he’s gone for the season, that 3 great games won’t be enough to stave off drafting a new QB in the 1st round next year. Really sucks for Hoyer …

45. mrbhansen says: Oct 4, 2013 11:15 AM

It bummed me out to see that happen to Hoyer, but it baffles me that coaches don’t teach these guys how to do a proper baseball slide. He slides on his butt and gets low and this injury doesn’t happen. The way he slid he could have hurt himself without the additional contact.

Shame, he was looking good.

46. baltimoresnativeson says: Oct 4, 2013 11:25 AM

I am neither a bills or browns fan, but that was a good game. It had a playoff feel to it.

47. bengalsfan20 says: Oct 4, 2013 11:28 AM

Feel bad for Hoyer on this one, he was getting a chance to make the most out of an opportunity given to him.

48. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 4, 2013 11:32 AM

If only there was a free man that was available to play QB for them in this pinch.

49. sosuhme says: Oct 4, 2013 11:33 AM

My heart is breaking for my fellow Spartan and all around good guy Brian Hoyer. What a tough break to finally get your chance and then have this happen to you. Keep it positive my friend and heal quickly.

50. edisbetterthantroy says: Oct 4, 2013 11:48 AM

That is disappointing to hear. Last night’s game was surprisingly exciting between two perennial cellar dwellers. I found myself pulling for the Browns and happy for their fans.

Sadly, as my father always say’s “winners win and losers lose”. But best of luck for the rest of the year Browns. You’re currently in 1st place!

51. CKL says: Oct 4, 2013 12:11 PM

I don’t know of a single Pats fan, including me who wasn’t rooting for HOYER THE DESTROYER to make good. What a heartbreak for him. :( I hope he’s back better than ever in 2014. I admit though it would have been fun to see him play against his old team when they take on the Pats later this year.

And the comparison between Weeden and him as far as how fast they make decisions and get the ball out was magnified by watching them both in the same game. Ye gods.

52. steelerben says: Oct 4, 2013 12:23 PM

Am I the only one waiting to hear that Freeman has signed with the Browns?

Hoyer was pretty clearly an upgrade over Weeden. I certainly hope he is able to heal up fully and continue his NFL career.

Freeman would also represent an upgrade over Weeden. You can bring him in on a one year, prove-it deal and see what he can do. If he plays well, you can use your two first rounders to build a team around him. If not, then you still have those picks to package together and move to where you can draft a QB. It is a no lose situation.