Report: Browns expected to meet with Tyler Thigpen

Buffalo Bills v Miami Dolphins Getty Images

The Browns lost quarterback Brian Hoyer on Thursday night, opening up a hole on a depth chart that also includes Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell.

Tom Pelissero of USA Today reports that the team is expected to meet with Tyler Thigpen about joining the team as another experienced hand at quarterback.

Thigpen played for the Bills in 2011 and 2012, seeing action in seven games and completing 6-of-13 passes for 55 yards and an interception. He was with the Dolphins and Chiefs before heading to Buffalo and has started 12 games over the course of his career.

Thigpen’s named popped up several times this summer as teams looked at veteran quarterbacks, but never landed a job. If he did sign with Cleveland, he’d likely be competing with Campbell to be Weeden’s backup, although it’s hard to make predictions about a team that’s riding a three-game winning streak that started after they traded their starting tailback and vaulted Hoyer from the third team to the first team.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
21 Responses to “Report: Browns expected to meet with Tyler Thigpen”
  1. florioinitalianmeansnonsense says: Oct 4, 2013 3:54 PM

Are they drinking what Kosar has been drinking? Sign Freeman!

2. steelerben says: Oct 4, 2013 3:58 PM

Tyler Thigpen?

Championship.

3. oldcracker says: Oct 4, 2013 4:00 PM

Isn’t Jeff Garcia available? Seneca Wallace? Thad Lewis?

How about former Heisman winner, Troy Smith??

4. ohnoflorio says: Oct 4, 2013 4:02 PM

Nobody wants Freeman? What an absolute shock!!!!! Wow

5. brownoholic says: Oct 4, 2013 4:03 PM

yay

6. afcdomination says: Oct 4, 2013 4:06 PM

Thigpen had a good season a long time ago, but it wasn’t that darn good. there are better options out there

7. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 4, 2013 4:10 PM

There are at least 7 FA QBs that I would rather take a shot on before Thigpen. It would be even better to nab somebody’s Practice Squad player like Tyler Wilson in Oakland.

8. bigblu73 says: Oct 4, 2013 4:14 PM

No way I sign Thigpen over Freeman!!

9. savocabol1 says: Oct 4, 2013 4:36 PM

Throwing that extra jab in there at the end is nice. Very hipster of you.

10. cincy85 says: Oct 4, 2013 4:42 PM

No worries Cleveland, 3-13 ain’t bad lol

11. pmars64 says: Oct 4, 2013 4:45 PM

@ cincy85
    With Weeden, the Browns have now returned to the quality of QB play that the Bengals see each week.

12. weepingjebus says: Oct 4, 2013 4:46 PM

“Report: Browns expected to meet with Tyler Thigpen”

I have a lot of sympathy for Browns fans so I feel bad about about saying this, but this title actually made me laugh out loud before I even clicked on the article.

13. cincy85 says: Oct 4, 2013 4:51 PM

@pmars64
    I said 3-13 ain’t bad… The bengals will be 2-14 lol

14. shaundolphinsfan23 says: Oct 4, 2013 5:05 PM

Thigpen, once upon a time, seemed like one of the better back ups in the league. I remember when he was a Miami Dolphin. I was pumped when he got a chance and then he went out and led our offense on a scoreless night. He’s athletic, can make crazy plays, but isn’t good on a down to down basis. He’s better than Freeman, but he probably isn’t better than whoever the Browns have as a backup now.

15. 88monte says: Oct 4, 2013 5:44 PM

I don’t dislike this move even though I have no idea of Thigpen’s work or performance. Why? I think the coaches and management apparently see something in this guy that can contribute to this team. It is what it is. How many people moaned about Campbell being skipped for the 3rd string QB Hoyer, trading T-Rich, and going back to before the season started of the switch from 4-3 to 3-4? And so on and so forth.

I guess I’m saying this, this ‘new’ Browns organization does not care about the popular decision or the most liked decision, they have a vision and…. I like it! Because I’m seeing results and guts!

Go Browns!

16. selmonfan63 says: Oct 4, 2013 6:30 PM

This is Schiano’s fault.

17. slick50ks says: Oct 4, 2013 8:05 PM

Herm Edwards thought he was a starter. That’s all you really need to know.

And LOL @ the people that think he’s better than Freeman. Herm, is that you?

18. hopallong216 says: Oct 4, 2013 8:33 PM

Watch the browns fly with josh Gordon, a heathty front line. I’m telling you ,go back to first game first int. If that was Gordon your looking at 6 or incomplete at worst. Weeds going to get it done. Is he our franchise QB? Nope, not even close. But’ better option going than pigpen or Campbell s chicken soup.

19. brownsfan39 says: Oct 4, 2013 10:01 PM

Cincy85: YOU SUCK!

20. garrettvan27 says: Oct 5, 2013 2:23 AM

Hopalong216 … YOU ARE SLOW

21. newelldesigns says: Oct 7, 2013 5:11 PM

Why would we sign Thigpen, we already have Marquese Grey, that doesn’t make sense at all. It is just a shame to see Hoyer go down and now is out for the season….