Santonio Holmes: If I could throw it to myself, I would

Buffalo Bills v New York Jets Getty Images

The Jets and Giants share a stadium in New Jersey and it seems that wide receivers from the two teams are also sharing talking points.

After the Giants were crushed by the Panthers in Week Three, Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks said “I can’t throw it to myself” when asked about not having any catches in that game. That explains the familiar ring to Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes‘ response to a similar question on Thursday about his one catch against the Titans in last Sunday’s loss.

“I can’t throw it to myself and catch it, otherwise I would,” Holmes said, via Seth Walder of the New York Daily News. “I played 49 plays, and all I know is I had one catch. That’s all I can attest for. I just have to do my part, which is the position that I’m playing, which is primary X receiver, and a lot of times I get double-covered, taken out of plays, so the progression and the read from the quarterback have to go elsewhere.”

Holmes was targeted five times last weekend with three throws falling incomplete and one getting intercepted. For the season, Holmes has been targeted a team-high 24 times and has 10 catches.

The frequently cranky receiver also answered a question about what he saw from Geno Smith in the game by saying that he saw the Jets lost the game. The comments call to mind the ugly end of the 2011 season when Holmes was benched for arguing with his teammates in the huddle, although things are less testy this time around. This week’s round comes ahead of a Monday night game against the Falcons that Holmes is likely to miss because of a hamstring injury. Perhaps the time off will give him a chance to come up with a way to throw the ball to himself.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
37 Responses to “Santonio Holmes: If I could throw it to myself, I would”
  1. thehouseofho says: Oct 4, 2013 9:18 AM

The difference between the Nicks statement and the Holmes statement was that Nicks wasn’t targeted much during the Panthers game. Holmes, on the other hand, is the most targeted receiver on the Jets every single game!

2. scoops1 says: Oct 4, 2013 9:19 AM

maybe Nicks and Holmes should start their own team

3. floratiotime says: Oct 4, 2013 9:21 AM

Maybe he and Hakeem Nicks can throw to each other ?

4. thekiy says: Oct 4, 2013 9:24 AM

Queue the circus music, the Jets are tired of the Bucs stealing all their thunder.

5. srock68 says: Oct 4, 2013 9:28 AM

We all know that Holmes is a loser. The problem once again is Rex Ryan not able to control his players.

6. ccjcsr says: Oct 4, 2013 9:32 AM

Way to boost Team morale!

7. ctiggs says: Oct 4, 2013 9:35 AM

He’s Back…………….#go Buckeyes

8. fdugrad says: Oct 4, 2013 9:38 AM

P U T Z, Completely and Totally. Why didn’t the Jets understand what the Steelers knew and did?

9. kev86 says: Oct 4, 2013 9:43 AM

Holmes is a punk. Hakeem isnt.

10. wrongsizeglass says: Oct 4, 2013 9:50 AM

Of course he would. This is a common trait of a “Me” athlete instead of a “Team” athlete.

Believe me, Mr Holmes, if you *did* have the talent to throw it to yourself and catch it the Jets would have found a way to ruin it and drain it out of you. That’s the way they roll.

11. icdogg says: Oct 4, 2013 9:50 AM

I got Holmes and Nicks on my fantasy team. And neither has been of much use there either.

12. eaglesnoles05 says: Oct 4, 2013 9:57 AM

So if you could throw it to yourself in double coverage, rather than make the correct read, you would?

This is why you aren’t throwing it.

13. pisano says: Oct 4, 2013 10:00 AM

Matt Simms turn may not be far off. A few more rough games for Geno, and Simms will be warming up .

14. dublindemonszfl says: Oct 4, 2013 10:09 AM

He loves hisself. Can you hear that song from Austin Powers???

15. longhairdontcare66 says: Oct 4, 2013 10:17 AM

Santonio is a great football player that’s pissed he’s on a bad team- I understand his frustration.

16. conormacleod says: Oct 4, 2013 10:22 AM

Maybe if you aren’t going to be playing you should shut up.

17. cliverush says: Oct 4, 2013 10:25 AM

I,I,I,I’m,I,I….sure are a lot of I’s in his statement.

18. stigman2012 says: Oct 4, 2013 10:28 AM

Josh Freeman to the JETS!!!

Bank it, baby!

19. mp4philly says: Oct 4, 2013 10:29 AM

Holmes has the attitude of a superstar receiver. His only issue is that he’s nowhere near a superstar receiver.

20. pfic15 says: Oct 4, 2013 10:30 AM

Can’t stand this loser or his stupid color lenses. Can’t throw to myself…sthu Santonio

21. bullcharger says: Oct 4, 2013 10:30 AM

It’s a shame someone with such immense athletic talent can be such a selfish jerk that it’s probably better without him.

The guy was a Super Bowl hero in Pittsburgh and they still let him go. What does that tell ya?

22. golforepar says: Oct 4, 2013 10:36 AM

Holmes, why don’t you just QB the team since it is so easy!

23. goawayeverybody says: Oct 4, 2013 10:36 AM

Geno Smith is completely clueless. He got very lucky against Tampa Bay and played well against Buffalo (even a broken clock is right twice a day). But he’s just turrible, as Charles Barkley would say.

24. rhamrhoddy says: Oct 4, 2013 10:37 AM

Those 2 hacks stole that bit from Gisele!

25. hehateme2 says: Oct 4, 2013 10:38 AM

This is what losing the locker room sounds like. Well done Wrecks…. get your resume updated.

26. Patskrieg dot com says: Oct 4, 2013 10:53 AM

Insert video of the old WWF vignette with Mr. Perfect throwing an 80 yard pass to himself.

27. steeelfann says: Oct 4, 2013 10:54 AM

And “Tommy” can’t catch his own passes either……..

28. scaredhitless says: Oct 4, 2013 11:10 AM

The guy had 154 yards the week before and the game winning touchdown. You’d think they’d have him in the game plan because that would just make too much sense.

29. rcali says: Oct 4, 2013 11:15 AM

Metonio is back! He’s kidding himself if he thought things would get better with a rookie QB.

30. eatitfanboy says: Oct 4, 2013 11:20 AM

The last part of his quote actually makes sense. With no other viable options, defenses can key on taking him out of the play and force Smith to look elsewhere. But once he makes the first stupid statement, no one is listening anymore, which is his own fault.

I do think it’s kind of funny that he knew exactly now many plays he was in for.

31. ColtsWinColtsWin!! says: Oct 4, 2013 11:28 AM

I can’t believe you all are misunderstanding what he is saying. He is simply saying that he is constantly being double covered as the #1 receiver, so the QB is checking down to the other options because the QB knows that Sadtonio is not good enough…(Calvin, Grahm, Green, Cruz, etc……) to make a play on the ball or physically beat the double team. Sheesh.

32. truths4all says: Oct 4, 2013 11:31 AM

When receivers state their feelings like Holmes and Nicks, their diminished mental capacity is shown.

Do they mean they can read the defenses (pass coverage and pass rush defenses) and then correctly adjust their own routes?

How about being the Hot Read and precisely running the route and throwing the ball at the right time?

How about recognizing you become the Hot Read and precisely adjusting to the correct Hot Route and throwing the ball at the right time for the right passing window?

How about shutting up and realizing you just do not have it to be a NFL QB?

33. steelerben says: Oct 4, 2013 11:34 AM

How about working on the catch it part and getting yourself up over 50% on receptions to targets?

Or maybe getting open so that your rookie QB doesn’t have to be pin point accurate to get the ball to you without being intercepted?

How about recognizing that with Hill and Gates hurt, Keller long gone and the running game not being all that special, defenses have realized that they can key in on taking him out of the game, and his route running can help manipulate the coverages and get other guys open so you can win?

Santonio Holmes – all the talent in the world and not a shred of character.

34. granadafan says: Oct 4, 2013 12:17 PM

If Geno could catch the passes himself too, he would.

35. slick50ks says: Oct 4, 2013 12:42 PM

Holmes and Wallace in Miami are one in the same.

What’s in the water in Pittsburg?

36. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: Oct 4, 2013 4:33 PM

What’s in the water in Pittsburg?

…and don’t forget about Plaxico…

37. multiplemiggs says: Oct 4, 2013 5:45 PM

why is every guy in here so old?