Redskins go on offensive in defending team name

Lanny Getty Images

The controversy regarding the name of the Washington football team continues to get stronger.  The efforts of the organization to defend it do, too.

In response to a remark from President Barack Obama that owner Daniel Snyder should think about changing the name “Redskins,” the team has issued a statement not from a P.R. specialist but from a lawyer.

And, possibly, all that that implies.

Issued earlier in the day to NBC News, the team has now issued the statement from attorney Lanny Davis generally. We’ll break it down sentence by sentence.

“As a supporter of President Obama, I am sure the President is not aware that in the highly respected independent Annenberg Institute poll (taken in 2004) with a national sample of Native Americans, 9 out of 10 Native Americans said they were not bothered by the name the ‘Washington Redskins,'” Davis says in the first sentence of the statement.

First of all, what does the first part of that sentence even mean?  “Since I support President Obama, I can say with authority that he is ignorant of many things, including an obscure poll from 2004″?

The fact that the poll was taken in 2004 makes it (if my math is correct, and it rarely is) nine years old.  A lot can change in nine years.  The fact that the controversy isn’t dying but strengthening demonstrates that attitudes can, and do, change over time.

Besides, if only one out of 10 Native Americans continue to be bothered nine years later by the name, it’s hard for the team to be dismissive of criticism, especially when Commissioner Roger Goodell has made it clear that, if only one person is offended, the league should at least listen.

“The President made these comments to the Associated Press, but he was apparently unaware that an April 2013 AP poll showed that 8 out of 10 of all Americans in a national sample don’t think the Washington Redskins’ name should be changed,” Davis says in the second sentence of his statement.

As “gotchas” go, that’s a weak one.  The AP connection is merely a way to reiterate the notion that 80 percent currently think the name is fine.  Of course, Davis glosses over the fact the percentage who oppose it has doubled in 20 years, from 10 percent to 20 percent.  Again, times change.

“The Redskins respect everyone. But like devoted fans of the Atlanta Braves, the Cleveland Indians and the Chicago Blackhawks (from President Obama’s hometown), the fans love their team and its name and, like those fans, they  do not intend to disparage or disrespect a racial or ethnic group,” Davis says in the third sentence of his statement.  (I know it’s two sentences.  But it’s essentially one.)

OK, now it’s getting good.  While it’s not the ideal time to embrace the Cleveland Indians, given this week’s modified homage to Al Jolson from some of their fans, the Redskins’ primary argument in support of the name (i.e., “Look at all the other teams named Redskins!”) seems to be shifting.  Instead of justifying a term that when stripped from the name of a football team is in the minds of many clearly offensive, the organization has chosen to broaden the attack against its name to encompass other nicknames that relate to Native Americans.

Here’s the problem with that:  “Braves,” “Indians,” and “Blackhawks” are not, when stripped from the name of a team, viewed by many or any (except for Rick Reilly’s father-in-law, who is offended by “Chiefs” but somehow not by “Redskins”) as offensive.

“The name ‘Washington Redskins’ is 80 years old — its history and legacy and tradition,” Davis says in the fourth sentence of his statement.

Yes, the name is 80 years old.  I hadn’t heard that one.  (I also was not aware Jerome Bettis is from Detroit.)  But just because the name has survived for eight decades doesn’t mean it should survive for eight more.

Think of it is this way.  If the name “Redskins” never had been used before by the NFL and the league were expanding, how would the name “Redskins” be received as the possible label for a new team?

“The Redskins’ fans sing ‘Hail to the Redskins’ every Sunday as an expression of honor, not disparagement,” Davis concludes.

That’s like saying, “No offense is intended” before saying something offensive.  In situations like this, intent doesn’t matter; people say unintentionally offensive things all the time.  The reality is that some Native Americans are offended, and the number seems to be increasing.  Also, plenty of non-Native Americans think the word is offensive, and the number seems to be increasing.

The Redskins, Daniel Snyder, Lanny Davis, and those who support the continued use of the name basically think anyone who feels that way should get over it.  While that may delay the inevitable, it’s hardly a sustainable approach to a problem that won’t go away until the name “Redskins” does.

Permalink 181 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
181 Responses to “Redskins go on offensive in defending team name”
  1. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 5, 2013 7:50 PM

They are just going to try and bully them into changing it, like they do everything else, huh? I hate Snyder, but I support him here.

2. wearethesteelers says: Oct 5, 2013 7:51 PM

Robert Griffin III throws a tantrum: interception.

3. x1xbbx7x says: Oct 5, 2013 7:52 PM

I, personally, couldn’t care less whether they change their name or not. It doesn’t offend me. I’m a white american… and that’s the thing about this. People who say they aren’t offended have all been white or black, not native American… however I am sensitive to human feelings and I do feel if you’re insulting a large population of any people, you should make a change. Not only are the Washington R’s making people angry, but they’re also causing newspapers, and anyone else referring to them, make THEIR consumers angry. That’s why you see newspapers making a change calling them the “R’s.” The problem where it stacks against Washington is that their team was founded on racism, and not just against native Americans. They were also one of the last (if not THE last) teams in the NFL to allow black players. It just doesn’t look good, guys. That’s just my unbiased opinion.

4. tjacks7 says: Oct 5, 2013 7:52 PM

I hope Dan Snyder doesn’t ever change the name just to anger these wackos that have an issue with the name.

5. tjacks7 says: Oct 5, 2013 7:53 PM

Ps. I have heard everyone’s opinion on this, except you know, actual redskins. Maybe get their take?

6. godofwine330 says: Oct 5, 2013 7:55 PM

in the words of Marshall Eriksen from HIMYM, “Lawyered”

Very well put Mike Florio very well put.

7. kwjsb says: Oct 5, 2013 7:55 PM

Being of the Lumbee Tribe it appears the most complaints come from non Natives. For me and many I speak with what better way to honor Natives than by a caricature that not only symbolizes strength but bonds communities of all races together for a common cause, My personal favorite Is Chief Wahoo.

8. thebigwhitecat says: Oct 5, 2013 7:55 PM

This ought to be good for 200+ responses.

By the way, Condoleeza Rice would make a great NFL commissioner.

9. mymombeatsyourmom says: Oct 5, 2013 7:56 PM

As they should…..

10. kremis says: Oct 5, 2013 7:58 PM

In a democracy, which is what America is, doesn’t the majority vote rule? I think 80 percent is a pretty good majority. Why does the minority seem to always get their way anymore? I believe our president only got around 53 percent of the vote, so if 47 are offended, shouldn’t he leave office? And if one person is offended Mr Godell, maybe you should also resign , because I am pretty sure you have offended many more football fans, than the Redskins name has offended.

11. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Oct 5, 2013 7:59 PM

This crap that we live by now,,,, ‘that if only one person is offended we do what they want is offensive !

12. tmar1961 says: Oct 5, 2013 7:59 PM

This is TOTAL crap, its really a non issue and has NO PLACE in that idiot of a presidents’ speeches as he should have bigger issues to deal with and solve. People should worry less about being pc and worry more about things that really matter.

13. shukey11 says: Oct 5, 2013 7:59 PM

Here’s an idea have the Redskins numbers people figure out the cost to the team to change the name and then start a kick starter campaign. All the people offended can pay Dan Snyder to change the name

14. jason1980 says: Oct 5, 2013 7:59 PM

President Obama didn’t call a press conference to announce his feelings about the Redskins, he was asked a question about this during an interview. Of course he has other things to do, but when asked the question about the hapless Redskins, he simply answered. For all yahoos who thinks he should be tending solely to matters of the State.

15. bigmouthtom says: Oct 5, 2013 8:02 PM

I like how you take 2 different polls asking 2 different questions to 2 different sampling groups and try to tie them into each other to strengthen your point.

One poll was asked only to Native Americans about if the name bothered them. The other poll was asked to all Americans asking if they should change the name.

Someone could be bothered by the name yet don’t think they should have to change it. Someone could also think they should change it without being bothered by it (team hater).

Trying to use the second poll to make it seem like the results of the first poll would be double opposed today is irresponsible.

Whatever happens, happens. I could care less. Though at the end of the day poll after poll after poll has been done on this topic. The results show time after time this issue is blown up into something more then it is by the media every time.

16. aoc57 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:03 PM

Why does Mike Florio and this website still use the name then?

17. rugermini14 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:03 PM

18. tdl8 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:04 PM

Maybe if Obama spent more time doing his damn job and less time worrying about football team names and spending tax payer money to get suites at sporting events the government wouldn’t be shut down right now!

19. shaggeez says: Oct 5, 2013 8:04 PM

Just wanted to point out that your notion that somehow opposition to the name has doubled in 10 years is based on two different sample groups, the first being of Native Americans and the second being Americans in general. If anything it shows that the people that would supposedly benefit from a name change (the Native Americans) are less offended than your average American.

20. dark13rider says: Oct 5, 2013 8:05 PM

If the name “redskins” offends you, you are simply showing your ignorance when it comes to history…”redskins” refers not to pigmentation or the practice of selling scalps, but from the fact that Indian warriors would use either red paint or red clay to cover their bodies in an attempt to intimidate their enemies…has it been used in a pejorative sense? Sure, but naming the Washington football team “Redskins” is not one of those instances.

21. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Oct 5, 2013 8:06 PM

I have brown skin and elf like features I want the Cleveland Browns to change their name

22. onnwee says: Oct 5, 2013 8:07 PM

Just put potatoes on the sides of their helmets. Problem solved.

23. mediacowards says: Oct 5, 2013 8:08 PM

I say Snyder should tell the people of that area (especially nosey politicians like Obama), “Hey, if you are that offended, then I will change the name but I will also re-locate the team.” We’ll see how offended these people really are, if you threaten to move the team…

24. stevenwilliams2013 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:08 PM

But seriously, the name is offensive. Time to change it.

25. waltervincent35 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:09 PM

I’d be more offended to be associated with Washington at this point, not the Redskins. This is another example of Political Correctness getting out of control. At some point anything will offend anybody, so does this mean we constantly change to accommodate somebody else’s feelings? Its like not liking something on television, then boycotting the networks. If it really bothers you, CHANGE THE CHANNEL!!!!

26. kwjsb says: Oct 5, 2013 8:11 PM

@kremis says: Oct 5, 2013 7:58 PM

“In a democracy, which is what America is, doesn’t the majority vote rule?”

Quick lessons, a democracy is 6 wolves and 3 sheep voting whats for dinner, The U.S. is a Democratic Republic, based on law.

27. ravenmuscle says: Oct 5, 2013 8:12 PM

Very easy solution….call them the PALEFACES.

28. blacknole08 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:12 PM

I completely agree with Snyder here. Plus there are so many other names in the league that are as highly offensive (Cowboys, Vikings, Raiders, etc.).

There are more pressing issues in this country that need more attention from Obama than the name of a team.

29. radsputin says: Oct 5, 2013 8:12 PM

Yes, attitudes change in 9 years, and if they don’t change, WE HAF WAYS UFF MAKINK YOU CHENGE! It’s the new America; we must never allow anyone to be offended.

30. thejuddstir says: Oct 5, 2013 8:12 PM

Obama also likes to tell us how he is a huge supporter of human rights too…..but only if those human rights violations happen in a country that has oil. This country is going to hell in a hand basket because of the tree hugging thin-skinned liberals that believe that any action or spoken word that offends just one person is one person too many.

31. mark0226 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:13 PM

This is 100% a media driven controversy. Obama should have just said that issue has not come across my desk as the President of the United States. Would you like me to shut down the government, so we can all focus on this issue? Oh wait…

32. sportsmeccabi says: Oct 5, 2013 8:13 PM

Truth is not a democracy.

33. riverhorsey says: Oct 5, 2013 8:13 PM

Don’t think the “Redskins” was ever meant to be a derogatory term. When people referred to African Americans as “Black” that was considered politically correct at the time. We don’t consider it offensive when we call white people white people do we?

I think Obama was merely giving a politically correct answer. In private he is probably indifferent.

34. gilvick1 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:13 PM

Why are we still talking about this… Snyder has already placed his opinion on the matter, case closed.

35. duece8 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:14 PM

Ok, I am a proud NATIVE AMERICAN, not once have I been asked to answer any polls, most of my family is NATIVE AMERICAN, none of which have been polled about this topic, but I will give my answer to the question at hand on behalf of me and my family, THE NAME DOES NOT OFFEND US, it is a very very hard pill to swallow that after all of these years CONGRESS decides to step in on this topic!!! REDSKIN has never been like the N WORD at anytime in my life, the WASHINGTON REDSKINS is a name of a football team! A FOOTBALL TEAM!!! So please stop putting words and feelings of disparity on me and my family! If someone is offended maybe they should support the Dallas cowboys and don’t buy a redskins jersey! What is there to gain for us native Americans by changing the name??? How about changing the focus to our education instead of sweeping it under the rug with government grants!!

36. jr4real says: Oct 5, 2013 8:14 PM

onnwee says:
    Oct 5, 2013 8:07 PM
    Just put potatoes on the sides of their helmets. Problem solved.

—————-

As an Irish American I’m offended by this!!

Ok just kidding

37. portlandmainefan says: Oct 5, 2013 8:15 PM

Why are you beating this to death? Obama ought to think about his paralysed administration. I hope the next President is a Native American that can validate their indifference for people like you. Have you ever even set foot on a reservation to help those people?

38. rtk23 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:15 PM

I’m offended by obamas inauguration celebration cost by him and his pig wife.

39. baldfqr says: Oct 5, 2013 8:15 PM

name change costs? start at a billion and go from there

40. bennyb82 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:15 PM

The only reason this is an issue is because it keeps getting brought up. I think the name could be offensive to some… but this could be the first time ever that an owner doesn’t succumb to public pressure and change to please everyone. He owns the team! He can do what he wants! If it bothers you then do not watch…

41. southsidesteve86 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:18 PM

Just Obama doing his normal “no, don’t look at me, look over here!” and trying to distract the American people from his numerous failures.

42. rcali says: Oct 5, 2013 8:19 PM

43. agc99 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:20 PM

Change the name.

44. The Trusty Courier says: Oct 5, 2013 8:20 PM

Florio has two really poor arguments here..

First, Braves, Indians, and Blackhawks may not be as controversial as Redskins name wise..but take a look at the Cleveland Indian’s logo for crying out loud! A cartoonish depiction of a Native American with POPSICLE RED skin. Are you telling me that a bigger fuss is being made over a name than such a depiction of Native Americans? At least the Redskins have a semi-realistic and serious portrayal of a Native American for a logo.

Secondly, Florio’s argument that”Redskins” would not be well received if it was proposed for a new team today. Well Mr. Florio, I doubt anyone would propose “Browns” as a name for a team either, or “Bills” for that matter, heck not even Steelers or Packers! These names are a product of franchise building in the early years of Football as a professional sport and that is where they got their unique character.

Does anyone honestly think they named the team Redskins to mock Native Americans? I think it is obvious that people use Native American terms and images in sports teams to HONOR them.

45. purplengold says: Oct 5, 2013 8:21 PM

Our elected clowns masquerading as public servants need to focus on more serious problems.

46. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Oct 5, 2013 8:21 PM

jr4real that was awesome and very funny but sad in a way because there is a pimp somewhere that would take your case if you were serious ,,that was awesome !

47. sactogary says: Oct 5, 2013 8:24 PM

Actually, the idea of changing the name is starting to grow on me. It is shameful the way Native Americans were treated by European settlers in prior centuries. I don’t like thinking about the injustices they suffered, perhaps at the hands of some of my ancestors, but I’m reminded of the sorry past every time I read or hear a sports report. Let’s banish ALL mention of them from team mascots at ALL levels. The history almost never comes up except in that connection. I say we sweep it under the rug.

48. mediasloppy says: Oct 5, 2013 8:24 PM

“In a democracy, which is what America is, doesn’t the majority vote rule?”
    ———————–
    Tell that to the Tea Party minority that shut down the government…

BTW: The name will change in time. Till then enjoy it.

49. michaelwinner says: Oct 5, 2013 8:24 PM

The MAJORITY of people don’t want a name change. Stop giving power to minority complainers (not talking about racial minorites). The name isn’t racist anymore. I’ve never thought a professional team is mocking the Native Americans. They are paying homage to them. If we start removing team names which support the Native American history, the Native American’s will be forgotten. There will be nothing left to honor them.

These special interest groups are only in the game of complaining to get their name out there. I hope Daniel Snyder NEVER backs down.

50. lingsun54 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:26 PM

I don’t care if some people choose to be offended by the Redskins name. They don’t have the right to dictate to others what the team name should be.

51. oaklegend says: Oct 5, 2013 8:26 PM

Eventually the name will have to change, but ultimately it’s not going to make anyone feel any better and Native Americans will not be any more or less respected as a result.

52. hatesycophants says: Oct 5, 2013 8:27 PM

Kremis,

Thanks so much for your childlike contribution. Your brain must be completely smooth.

53. newlydead says: Oct 5, 2013 8:27 PM

how about it is his team, he owns it. he can call it what ever he likes, if you have a problem with it just don’t support him or the team, otherwise mind your own business.

54. hawaiifunfnull says: Oct 5, 2013 8:28 PM

This controversy is officially over. Lanny Davis loses every PR battle he is enlisted to win. He defines the words hack and toady.

Pick your new name fans of Washington DC’s NFL team. It’s only a matter of time before Lanny Davis convinces even you of the wrongness of whatever argument he is being paid to peddle.

55. paulz624 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:31 PM

There was a Steak shop in Philly called Chinks, it’s been around for 40 years, the place was a staple n thrived, someone took it over and was told a few people were offended by that name, not to offend anyone he changed the name, the majority of the people told him not to do it, within a year he had to close for lack of buisness, the moral of the story? Mr. Snyder, if 80% doesn’t have a problem with in then keep the name cause if u give in to the minority you won’t find them when you really need them.

56. 9ersss says: Oct 5, 2013 8:33 PM

“rugermini14 says:
    Oct 5, 2013 8:03 PM
    The problem with this country is the U.S. Government has wimped out to political correctness and American tradition, American culture, American values have been thrown to the wayside. Wake up people, this isn’t America anymore…it belongs to those who claim to have any sort of entitlement simply because they think they deserve it. The American culture doesn’t exist anymore because we have allowed the cultures of the World to extinguish what this country was founded on…strength, independence and PRIDE…hell, in some places in this country we can’t even fly our own flag!”

I’m sorry but you apparently know nothing about US History then. “those who claim to have any sort of entitlement simply because they think they deserve it?” Apparently we’re forgetting things like the trail of tears, the massacre at wounded knee and even who was here before this county was founded. I’m proud to be an American and love my country but to call native american culture a “culture of the world” that is trying to extinguish America is one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard. There should be no pride in how they were treated in the past regardless of whether the name “Redskins” is offensive or not.

57. Dogsweat says: Oct 5, 2013 8:35 PM

Washington Reddogs 2016

58. trustedvoice says: Oct 5, 2013 8:37 PM

As a quarter Choctaw quarter Chippewa and half Cajun, I do not like the Redskins. But not because I am offended by the name. It is not offensive to anyone I know nor anyone in my family. I have also been called a coon ass. We Cajuns embrace the term. What I really hate is when people continually bring these terms up and pretend to speak for me and my like or dislike of said terms. Leave the Redskins and their moniker alone please.

59. graphis56 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:37 PM

I don’t have a horse in this race and The Redskins is a name I’ve known my entire life. But unlike the Chiefs and the Braves the Redskins emblem is much more graphic in it’s depiction. It doesn’t speak of leaders (Chiefs) or of being courageous (Braves), it speaks solely of the skin color of one ethnicity and in a perceived derogatory manner.

I cannot think of any other ethnic group that would tolerate a demeaning expression as an acceptable name for an NFL franchise in the year 2013. At the very least the team should revert to the helmet with the R in a circle over their preferred illustrated Native American as a first step.

60. hawaiifunfnull says: Oct 5, 2013 8:38 PM

rugermini14 | Oct 5, 2013, 5:03 PM PDT

Speak for yourself, clown. If you can’t compete in 21st century American then pull yourself up, make some changes and get back in the game. When did conservatives become such whining complainers? America is still exceptional. It’s you that’s lost his or her way. Not all of us. Quit complaining and better yourself.

61. aljack88 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:38 PM

What’s next? Will the fans of the Atlanta Braves will have to do their war cry silently? Don’t the KC Chiefs’ home fans do the same?

Obama has a few more pressing issues to resolve before he gets involved in sports teams’ names. I wished to hell he would do so.

62. thejuddstir says: Oct 5, 2013 8:41 PM

I am a minority of one but I think the cheatin’ bounty huntin’ Saints should be required to change their name because they obviously aren’t “saints”. According to Florio and the other teacups, if it offends one person it should be changed. I demand to be heard, lol.

63. WACANHFL says: Oct 5, 2013 8:42 PM

rugermini14 says:
    Oct 5, 2013 8:03 PM
    …The American culture doesn’t exist anymore because we have allowed the cultures of the World to extinguish what this country was founded on…strength, independence and PRIDE…
    —————————————————–
    UH, we are from the rest of the World, except for those nice people we mostly killed off to live here.
    We never lost those things. The Hate is burying it. This isn’t a nation of haters is it? If so, our founding fathers and all the folks that built this country immigrated here to live a better life must be disappointed.

Change the Name Already!

64. petehd1 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:42 PM

I’m just stunned that the Cleveland Indians still wear the hats with the indian caricature on them, that’s racist.

65. onbucky96 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:45 PM

Tell you what. I’ll hop on the Change the Redskins name bandwagon right after South Carolina gets the Confederate Flag off their State Flag. Am I supposed to save my Confederate dollars for the South shall rise again? Um, no. Save your fake outrage for a real cause.

66. thetooloftools says: Oct 5, 2013 8:45 PM

Just like the atheists somehow have a voice and rip God and Jesus off of anything public, I’m sure someday the this name will be changed. The name Redskin came from the most heroic and brave warriors who put RED clay on their bodies before going off to be warriors. The bravest of the brave.
    I’ll bet 1/2 the small amount of REAL Native Americans do not even know this. It was a great honor to be a Redskin. They were the most feared warriors of all. It’s an honor, not a slur. I would bet EVERYTHING I OWN that whatever team in the NFL moves to LA will have a Hispanic name. By 2035 over 30% of he USA will be Hispanic. Why not?
    I wish REAL Indians would peak up and own it and be proud of it.

67. grimlock12 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:47 PM

The term “red” was adopted by French and English by the 1750′s after the reference to “red man” was made in 1725 by a Taensa chief.
    According to the French (1725), the Taensa referred to themselves as “Red Men.”
    Three chiefs of the Piankashaws wrote (1769), “You think that I am an orphan; but all the people of these rivers and all the redskins will learn of my death.”
    In 1807 French Crow (Wahpekute, Santee Sioux) said, “I am a redskin…”
    In an 1815 speech by Chief Big Elk of the Omaha Tribe, he called himself (and others in similar positions among different tribes) “red skin chiefs”.less

68. desertbro says: Oct 5, 2013 8:48 PM

It’s wrong, and they know it’s wrong, and they just don’t want to go through the trouble of changing — just like a junior high school kid who’s wearing the wrong clothes to school and gets busted by the parents – just doesn’t want to change – embarassed by trying to show off get upset when called out on it.

Sure, it’s a hassle – and sure, whatever new name you pick will be slammed by a lot of people.

Perhaps a name like “Partisans” or “Incumbents” will get you fear and hate in one package?

69. dumbpollack says: Oct 5, 2013 8:51 PM

Obama says to change it? Well when he owns a team he can decide the name. Keep it, Snyder!

70. pilonflats says: Oct 5, 2013 8:56 PM

on a similar note, the estate of Andre the Giant is about to sue the NY Giants for offending his good name..

71. bobwheel says: Oct 5, 2013 8:56 PM

First time I’ve ever agreed with Lanny Davis.

72. jlmd17 says: Oct 5, 2013 8:58 PM

As a whiteskin I am constantly offended in the direction the country is headed? Oh that’s right – we don’t count.

73. finsfanintx says: Oct 5, 2013 8:59 PM

I’m so tired of people worrying about offending everyone. This country is getting so politically correct it’s exhausting. I can’t keep up with what’s correct and not correct.

74. gregorie0880 says: Oct 5, 2013 9:00 PM

Daniel Snyder owns a business. It is his opinion that matters. If you do not like the name… do not watch the games, don’t read the sports section, and look away from people that support him and his Redskin apparel.

Obama’s favorite food is offensive, but America still allows him to eat what he wants even if it is meat. At least for now.

75. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Oct 5, 2013 9:01 PM

Florio: “The fact that the poll was taken in 2004 makes it (if my math is correct, and it rarely is) nine years old.”

Do people actually think this kind of “if my math is correct,” “last time I checked,” infantile smugness actually makes them seem more persuasive.

Another thing: (paraphrasing) “if only one person is offended, we should turn the world upside down.”

Screw that. A tiny percentage of whiny types are making a fuss over nothing — no way we should cater to them. Ever.

If “times change” and people are learning to derive anger over the nickname “Redskins” – it is purely because of a small group of self-righteous types are fanning the flames of hate under the guise of doing the “right thing.”

Liberals should come with a fanny pack of barf bags they can hand out to people while they’re talking.

76. madpunter88 says: Oct 5, 2013 9:01 PM

It’s shocking that Dan Snyder’s lawyer would offer such a stale, trite, and meaningless defense as a 9 year old opinion poll. Is that really what he is paying the lawyer for? If that is seriously the only argument they have then we can all start preparing for the inevitable name change. It is coming and the fans need to start accepting that.

77. dt58 says: Oct 5, 2013 9:05 PM

78. 25bets says: Oct 5, 2013 9:06 PM

They will eventually change the name when bunch of lily white liberals eventually convince enough native Americans that it is offensive.

79. radsputin says: Oct 5, 2013 9:07 PM

Sorry, deuce8, but we cannot allow you to not be offended.

80. thomasmorelancaster says: Oct 5, 2013 9:07 PM

Just because you are offended doesn’t mean you are right.

81. atleastimnotaraidersfan says: Oct 5, 2013 9:10 PM

It only offends the over sensitive losers that are looking for something to offend them.

82. ravenmuscle says: Oct 5, 2013 9:10 PM

I think a great name would be the Sharks and they could play the music from Jaws whenever the team was close to a score or was doing good. If another pro team is called the sharks that doesn’t matter….no other NFL team is called the sharks.

83. kev86 says: Oct 5, 2013 9:13 PM

Go Giants! Big Blue!

84. ravenmuscle says: Oct 5, 2013 9:13 PM

There are the San Jose Sharks but they’re a hockey team….no big deal.

85. rmcrip says: Oct 5, 2013 9:15 PM

This is beyond ridiculous!!!! Almost every single thing is offensive to some group of people. Does anyone honestly believe there is a Native American anywhere that is tossing, turning, and losing sleep over the fact that the football team in D.C. is called the Redskins???? If Obama wants to ensure Native Americans are not offended, he can begin by handing them the country back !!!!

86. deafcone says: Oct 5, 2013 9:16 PM

If Obama is so adamant that if 1 person if offended by the redskins name they should change it, then it’s only fair if only 1 person thinks Obama has failed as a president he should resign. Run that by him and see how he feels about his criteria then.

87. pakrz says: Oct 5, 2013 9:17 PM

As soon as somebody starts giving a crap about the Fighting Irish or the Vikings, I’ll start giving a crap about the Redskins, Indians and Blackhawks.

88. batesbruce says: Oct 5, 2013 9:20 PM

Having Lanny Davis as your lawyer is a brilliant PR move by Snyder. This will take some of the venom out of this media led story. This story is going away. The President has weighed in. There is no one else to interview who matters.

89. chicagobtech says: Oct 5, 2013 9:21 PM

Leave the Blackhawks out of this arguement. They are named after Fred McLaughlin’s Army unit.

90. slow2spk1 says: Oct 5, 2013 9:22 PM

The solution here is simple. Change the logo to a “Redskin” Potato and the conversation is over…unless calling a potato a “redskin” is now also offensive.

91. robertclayallison says: Oct 5, 2013 9:23 PM

Call em what you want, they still suck.
    Go Seahawks (Hope I didn’t offend any other bird teams)!

92. daffy87 says: Oct 5, 2013 9:24 PM

If the public was so offended then wouldn’t the Redskins be losing money by people not supporting them through ticket and merchandise sales?

93. bobc74 says: Oct 5, 2013 9:24 PM

Well, since I’m offended by the Presidency of Barack Obama, I think he should quit. Will he? No. So why should Dan Snyder change the name of HIS team. Yes, folks. The team is owned by Dan Snyder. Not the NFL. Not the Federal Government.

94. thelastbesthope says: Oct 5, 2013 9:27 PM

Our president has time for renaming the NFL team in DC? This is our country under the current regime.

Out of respect for the generational sacrifices made on behalf of American freedoms, we are obligated this day to Resist The State.

Noncompliance will be punished.

95. okwesley66 says: Oct 5, 2013 9:28 PM

I am offended that AMERICA elected Obama twice,but hasn’t the name Redskins been with the team 70 years?……….

96. logicalvoiceseys says: Oct 5, 2013 9:28 PM

The name is offensive but probably won’t change. The logo literally has a man with dark red skin on it.

97. slow2spk1 says: Oct 5, 2013 9:29 PM

One more question…If the NFL moves a franchise to England will there be an outcry from the Brits to rename the Patriots due to it being offensive to the Crown?

98. papichulo55 says: Oct 5, 2013 9:31 PM

Mr. Synder is obviously a very smart businessman. He could have taken this as an opportunity to co-opt this entire movement. Donate money to complete the Crazy Horse Memorial and finance some Public Service Announcements. Sadly, he has chosen to be the Tough Guy. In the end, the name will be changed and he will have missed the opportunity to bend with the wind, rather than be broken by it.

99. aelsurf says: Oct 5, 2013 9:32 PM

The wussification of our country continues. Driven by the ultra liberal speech police. Be careful someone’s feeling may get hurt. Maybe people just need to toughen up a little. imho

100. odessabucs says: Oct 5, 2013 9:40 PM

I have a question. Why is the team name offensive? Folks of the African American persuasion are black.

It’s not a derogatory name like the “n” word.

The Cincinnati Reds? Oh it’s the skin thing! It’s ok.

Florida State Seminoles? So Redskins is more offensive?

Political correctness being so concerned about offending drooling bed wetters is killing this country.

Of course the most politically correct name would be the Washington Native Americans!

Perhaps they should change their name to the Washington Deficit Spenders.

101. bigguy54 says: Oct 5, 2013 9:40 PM

Go to a reservation and look at what NFL gear they are wearing. That should be answer enough. I doubt they wear gear that offends them. I am also sure I will get the “they are owning it and making it less offensive by wearing the gear”. Then go ask them. Like many of the Native Americans have said, it offends very few of them, and the ones it does have probably been told it should.

102. gb4mn0 says: Oct 5, 2013 9:41 PM

Snyder just needs to hold out till after the 2015 Democratic convention and then contribute heavily to the Dummycraps nominee.

103. erikinhell says: Oct 5, 2013 9:42 PM

============================
    My wife hates football. She can’t stand to watch it or listen to the commentators. I think it’s time for all the owners, players, and sports journalists to pack up the stuff and go home, as you offended one person.

104. altajo3 says: Oct 5, 2013 9:44 PM

What offends me the most is the fact that this country is trying its best to get rid of Christianity. These presidents are following the plan of the previous one. New world order. Funny because I haven’t heard one American that said he would give up his guns. They are going to ruin football if they mix it up with politics.

105. ganja4all says: Oct 5, 2013 9:48 PM

Obamas word is trash. He is just another misguided self indulgent politician. Low life, low caliber and just an all round crummy person

106. fjc1109 says: Oct 5, 2013 9:48 PM

Doesn’t Mr. President have a lot more to worry about these days than the Washington Redskins?

Although, I do like the Washington Native Americans. So cool!

107. brownsalwaysrebuilding says: Oct 5, 2013 9:52 PM

It’s definitely offensive. The US federal government had policies to murder native americans.

In some states you were paid for turning in native american heads after you killed them.

The city where the federal government is located has a team called the Redskins, after they tried to exterminate them, and ignorant people don’t even understand why there is a controversy.

There are more important things than football.

-I am Cherokee. Remember the Trail of Tears.

And…. GO BROWNS!!!

108. deafcone says: Oct 5, 2013 9:55 PM

they should rename it in honor of our government
    call them the Washington Idiots

109. 202folife says: Oct 5, 2013 9:56 PM

I say if the name offends one Native American it should be changed. If you’re not Native American you shouldn’t have an opinion. If you’re a minority and you think the name isn’t offensive then only god himself can help you.

110. techsavvyluddite says: Oct 5, 2013 9:57 PM

As a resident of The Sunshine State I am offended that the NFL franchise in Houston is using the word “Texans!” ;-)

111. ezrider33hg says: Oct 5, 2013 9:58 PM

And i am offended by the name Obama….should he xhange his name? The answer is NO. What iia wrong with people….you can make a case for any name…leave the teams alone….in fact quit complaining about being PC. This is supposed to be a nation of free thinking people and the way this nation is going we are going to be what this country revolted against. Wake up….this is football and what in the he@@ is the President doing making a comment like that…but I guess that is freedom of speech and he is not in charge of the NFL.

112. muckhappy says: Oct 5, 2013 9:58 PM

People need to move on. The name aint changing. Now go back to marching on wallstreet and complaining about why u arent getting what ur entitled too. Folks if u dont like it tough. Better yet leave. So sick of crybabies whining about really a non issue. And yes. It is a non issue. Im offended by a number of things. Im offended that schools are taking the pledge of allegiance out of schools. Im offended by people who feel entitled to things that are only obtained by working for them. Im not offended by the name of a sports team that has been around for 80 years. Next topic.

113. prijak1 says: Oct 5, 2013 10:02 PM

I’m offended by Obamacare being forced down our throats & will force this country health system to go Into shambles … I support the name change … Redskins is a terrible name anyway .. Imagine cheering for a skin that is red … Really stupid , change the name Snyder it’s a blessing in disguise !

114. simplelogic26 says: Oct 5, 2013 10:03 PM

Maybe the president should try worrying about getting our government working again, rather then the name of washingtons football team name…. I’m pretty sure that’s not on his agenda so why is he wasting time on it

115. ravenmuscle says: Oct 5, 2013 10:03 PM

Call them the Republicans…great at blocking things and screwing everything up.

116. prijak1 says: Oct 5, 2013 10:04 PM

Name the team a cool aggressive nam like the Dragons or Assasins … Redskins is a really stupid name … It was stupid before all of this commotion too . This is the only smart thing Obama has suggested to change this dumb name … Even the logo is stupid looking ….

117. klutch14u says: Oct 5, 2013 10:05 PM

Man the liberals have sunken their teeth into this this year. You guys get memos outlining annual causes or rather people you want to bully? Boy you guys send mixed signals of freedom though.

118. defscottyb says: Oct 5, 2013 10:06 PM

The United State Government/Military uses Apache Helicopters and Tomahawk missles… obviously our government didn’t mean to disparage the Native American, they meant to honor them just like the Redskins. Please…

119. barbeaux says: Oct 5, 2013 10:07 PM

God. Christians feeling slighted because things aren’t allowed to continue to be tilted toward Christianity. Nobody’s taking your rights away. You’re not being persecuted. Christians in the a Roman era were persecuted. Study it and learn what persecution is.

On topic, Obama wasn’t out striking up the point. A reporter asked….so it took what 20 seconds out of his day.

As for the majority rules point….back in the day a majority thought slavery was ok. A majority though women shouldn’t vote. A majority thought banning alcohol was ok. Do those sound like good majority decisions?

Political correctness isn’t destroying the country. Grown adults acting like children is what holds the country back.

120. prijak1 says: Oct 5, 2013 10:07 PM

I want to see all the Obama supporters now! If you voted for Obama you are stupid! He is the anti Christ and will put our country in financial ruins … Obama suggesting the Redskins name change is the smartest thing he has said

121. cfballfan1 says: Oct 5, 2013 10:07 PM

Keep on kicking thst dead horse. Unless, of course, a good number of dead horses find that turn of phrase offensive.

122. snnyjcbs says: Oct 5, 2013 10:08 PM

It is a sad day when many that just a few years ago would have been called Moron. Have been able to spread their Feces all across the Nation and try and brain wash the idiot being raised today. That is what the Leftist wanted, use the schools and the Unions to infiltrate the schools and turn the youth into such idiots that a Moron looks sharp.

123. 302baller says: Oct 5, 2013 10:09 PM

The names Dallas Cowboys and NY Giants are highly offensive as well says 9 out of 10 Americans.

124. jingham2 says: Oct 5, 2013 10:10 PM

So sick of this. Someone is always a victim. Move the hell on. Do something productive rather than whine about a non-issue.

125. subliminalsteeler says: Oct 5, 2013 10:12 PM

Great job!!! I’m glad you are sticking by your name. Actually I am offended that people want to change it. Maybe that is a poll we should take. How many people are offended that people want to change the name?? I am one. Will anyone listen and take notice of my offense??

126. js11js11 says: Oct 5, 2013 10:14 PM

I would like to see a poll asking if Native Americans, in fact, like the name “Redskins”, as opposed to if they are offended by it.

Would it be crazy to think that most Native Americans may enjoy the name? Whether the name is formal (Illini), generalized (Chiefs), somewhat silly (Indian’s Chief Wahoo), or otherwise…would it be crazy to assume that they like the fact that their heritage is remembered and celebrated.

And let’s stop pretending that this name is anywhere near as hateful as the “N Word”…because that’s what all of these reporters are insinuating. Do you think good ol’ country folk would be offended if a sports franchise called themselves the “Rednecks”? Jersey sales would be through the roof…

127. robjbrown99 says: Oct 5, 2013 10:18 PM

It’s not the Native Americans who are offended. It’s all the politically correct thought police who are offended. They are upset that they can’t bully people into doing what they want them to do and the CEO of the thought police is the president.

128. johnnybandwagon says: Oct 5, 2013 10:18 PM

I am of Cherokee decent and I am offended by their team name.
    The Cleveland Indians logo is also offending.
    I’m cool with the rest.

129. oharris30 says: Oct 5, 2013 10:19 PM

First, the fact that Indians STILL live on reservations and are one of the largest people on entitlement programs says to me, they are not too bright. Also, what are they getting from the use of their name? Are these teams contributing to the Native Americans to help educate their children, live better lives? Also for the idiot Obama haters, the shutdown was the fault of your buddies the GOP/teaparty who are still whining over the ACA which by the way is a law passed by the Supreme court and the Congress. Lastly, and most important, the president was asked and if you take time to reveiw his duties, this would be included in his job description. What a bunch of ignorant haters. Why not do something constructive and call Boehner to tell him to grow a couple.

130. robjbrown99 says: Oct 5, 2013 10:22 PM

BTW, I’m offended by the name Barak Obama and I think he should change his name too!

131. mrlaloosh says: Oct 5, 2013 10:22 PM

It’s nice to see the juddstir still has his panties in a twist over the Saints bounty allegations. I know his miserable life has no meaning since he can’t comment on the Bountygate issue. I notice wisconsin77 hasn’t made any Saints comments recently. Maybe he finally found the man of his dreams. Losers.

132. wahoo80 says: Oct 5, 2013 10:26 PM

Lets see now —

Cowboys killed indians

Buffalo Bill killed buffaloes and so starved indians

Patriots killed British

Texans killed mexicans

Chiefs led war parties to kill palefaces

Buccaneers raped and pillaged anyone who breathed

Raiders did the same as Buccaneers

Vikings killed everybody

Why not just name all teams after flowers ?

133. getyourownname says: Oct 5, 2013 10:26 PM

Lanny Davis is a complete joke, but it’s not surprising he is shilling for Snyder. Davis used to work for certain unsavory foreign governments until he was shamed into withdrawing. He will do anything for money.

134. deafcone says: Oct 5, 2013 10:27 PM

When Obama can come up with a legitimate birth certificate we’ll consider the Redskins name change issue.

135. decimus83 says: Oct 5, 2013 10:29 PM

Let’s all chant.

CHANGE THE NAME! CHANGE THE NAME! CHANGE THE NAME! CHANGE THE NAME! CHANGE THE NAME! CHANGE THE NAME! CHANGE THE NAME! CHANGE THE NAME! CHANGE THE NAME! CHANGE THE NAME! CHANGE THE NAME! CHANGE THE NAME! CHANGE THE NAME! CHANGE THE NAME! CHANGE THE NAME! CHANGE THE NAME!

Instead of realizing this name is causing problems, Lord Snyder has allowed his pride to cloud the issue. Look past yourself, Sir Haughtiness! You will still make your enormous profit if the team is called something else. After all, isn’t the NFL about money?! Why else would you own a team?!

I hope (and I speak in wishful ignorance here) that the NFL (or even the President) has the authority to force Synder either change the name (under threat of a severe penalty) or step down as owner and sell the team to someone who is sensitive to this (clearly) derogatory slang.

For once, I agree with Mr. Hussein. That is a rarity . . . .

136. oilman989 says: Oct 5, 2013 10:33 PM

Two distinct points:

(1) Lanny Davis is spot on, and

(2) Any opening statement that begins with, “I am sure the president is not aware . . . .” will always be corroborated in the affirmative.

137. slbasegame257 says: Oct 5, 2013 10:34 PM

Whatever happened to the sticks and stone approach? Maybe some people don’t like the name but its not going to hurt them unless they are overly sensitive. If they called them the Washington Whities I wouldn’t like it, but I wouldn’t really care either. And why do they care about the name now but not ten years ago? Is a frenzied mob mentality taking over?

138. swagger52 says: Oct 5, 2013 10:37 PM

Obama is like a lot of liberals, when he and the entire Government isn’t working, he spends time watching the NFL instead of looking for jobs.

139. duncanthecat says: Oct 5, 2013 10:37 PM

The only name I would approve a change to:

The Washington Tea Party Guerilla Warriors.

140. defscottyb says: Oct 5, 2013 10:38 PM

The more this “issue” gets reported on the more people are getting PO’ed and tired of it. Just look at the majority of the comments lately that defend the Redskins name, and some by non-skins fans. People are just getting tired of the fake outrage and pc liberal views of a tiny minority of people. NO amount of pressure or “outrage” can or will make Dan change the name of his business (yes business) and team name of his Washington Redskins, sorry. “Red” in Redskins is a re: to Red War Paint worn in battle NOT skin color (do some research). I am of Cherokee Heritage and my people have Brown or Tanned skin, not Red Skin. Again, the name Redskins isn’t even referencing actual skin color.

As per Susan Harjo of the Morning Star Institute (the person who championed the first attempt to strip the Redskins of their Trademark – and yes she was doing that for her and her group’s own benefit… for money, a cut of Redskins Merchandising profits)… Her recent quote below:

Harjo – “There’s no such thing as a good stereotype, no matter how well-intentioned, no matter how good people feel about it,” Harjo added. “It still has negative ramifications for our people.”

If what she says is correct than you must change the name of lots of team like the Fighting Irish because that is a stereotype that Irish people are angry and fight alot and it may offend a small minority of irish folk… EVEN if the stereotype is well-intended and no matter how good people feel about it. Same thing goes for any team named after Native Americans or any ethnic groups. Changing the name of the Skins would open a horrible can of pc liberal worms and pandora’s boxes and it set a bad precedence and never ending unnecessary drama.

Frankly, most of this “outrage” is all over MONEY and not the name, the money associated with the Merchandising Profits and how others can get their hands on a nice percentage of it. I guarantee if you got all these groups and “offended people” in a room and struck a deal to include them in the Merchandising Profits all of the “outrage” would magically VANISH ala the Fla. St. Seminoles. Yep, put them on the payroll and I bet you they will have absolutely no problem with the name again.

Please post this Mr. Florio, I think I have made very valid points. I enjoy this site but enjoy it more when ALL points are posted. Not just the ones that you agree with. Let the readers decide that by voting them up or down. Thank you sir.

141. swagger52 says: Oct 5, 2013 10:39 PM

I have a solution to the Washington Gridlock.

The NFL wants to expand into England.
    Lets waive Obama to England.

142. cunninghampeetemcnabbvick says: Oct 5, 2013 10:40 PM

Redskins is 100% offensive because it’s a racial slur. Washington should have kept the Bullits and changed the Redskins.

I for one don’t blame their fan base for defending the team name though. I get it. To them it doesn’t even mean what it originally did. They wear pig noses for petes sake!

143. pappyyppap says: Oct 5, 2013 10:41 PM

Really??? The government is shut down and this is what we are worried about. The Redskins name. Perhaps the President should focus in on what is important. And this isnt it.

144. defscottyb says: Oct 5, 2013 10:49 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Ummmm, noooo… The team would lose money not make money. Costs to change the name would be hugely expensive and REAL Redskins fans (like me) would boycott the newly named team and shun the new merchandise and gear. I’m not even joking… I would start following and rooting for the Cowboys just in spite or just totally give up on the NFL like I did with Nascar and all it’s stupid changes.

#don’tfixitifitain’tbroke

145. swagger52 says: Oct 5, 2013 10:49 PM

I liked Obama so much more when he was golfing instead of looking for jobs. Now that he is attacking the NFL while the entire Govt has a paid furlough, it is unbearable.

146. woodyc says: Oct 5, 2013 10:55 PM

As one with Native American heritage, the “Redskins” name doesn’t offend me in the slightest. Is it any more offensive than “Browns”, “Fighting Irish”, “Vikings”, “Celtics”, “Indians”, “Blackhawks”, “Braves”, or “Chiefs”? I think not.

147. drandjmoore says: Oct 5, 2013 10:57 PM

If you’re a Washington fan and you don’t see the writing on the wall, you’re kidding yourself.

Also, America is not governed by the principle of “majority rule.” That would be ridiculous. “The rights of the minority should never be subject to the whim of the majority.”

That means the majority can’t make a minority suffer something just because a majority likes that thing. If the majority of employees in a particular office are men, they don’t get to vote on whether or not it’s acceptable to sexually harass the minority of women who work there.

148. guppies66 says: Oct 5, 2013 11:28 PM

Snyder (and now Davis) seem to be progressing from unintentional racists to overt racists.

149. r8dernation says: Oct 5, 2013 11:30 PM

You should have titled it “Redskins go on the warpath in defending team name.”

150. sponz00 says: Oct 6, 2013 4:16 AM

So sick and tired of this sissy girl, over – sensitive, be PC at all costs culture that is taking over America. GET OVER IT PEOPLE and grow a pair! Stop sniveling and whining over very slight (real and imagined) – its really quite embarrassing!
    There are FAR MORE IMPORTANT issues in the world than the name of a football team! I mean, Really?……..this is what concerns you and keeps you up at night! What a sad and empty life you people must live that this is a topic of importance. Enough already!!

151. doctorrustbelt says: Oct 6, 2013 4:16 AM

I look forward to them being forced to change since snyder and 99% of Washington fans are so stubborn.

152. cumnuri83 says: Oct 6, 2013 5:41 AM

Stop calling Native Americans Indians, Indians come from India, just because Columbus was ignorant doesn’t mean we have to continue to be.

153. seanb20124 says: Oct 6, 2013 8:13 AM

Seems that only old white liberals want the name changed

154. dbarnes67 says: Oct 6, 2013 8:33 AM

I just completed a poll in which 25 percent were offended by the name Florio. Maybe you should change it to something less offensive.

155. kokomike says: Oct 6, 2013 9:24 AM

Best Super Bowl matchup: Redskins vs Chiefs. Braves on the Warpath. It will be most watched Super Bowl ever.

156. whatevnfl says: Oct 6, 2013 10:16 AM

Jerome Bettis is from Detroit?

157. purplepride26 says: Oct 6, 2013 10:27 AM

I wonder if the team name was the Washington Hebes or Kikes if Snyder would be fighting a name change?

158. eagles512 says: Oct 6, 2013 11:31 AM

So Florio picks apart any support of the name but blindly supports any opposition.

159. andyman719 says: Oct 6, 2013 1:22 PM

Why would anyone care what this idiot of a president says? He hasn’t done anything but ruin our economy and send us down a path to become a third world country. What does a native Kenyan know about American football anyway?

160. chickenaintnothinbutabird says: Oct 6, 2013 1:23 PM

I’ve been a Skins fan for over 50 years and I’d hate to have to call them something else.
    That said if they’d been called the Darkies we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

161. rob888888 says: Oct 6, 2013 8:18 PM

The Redskins name is derogatory to an entire race of people. It is as offensive as calling a team the N-words. The Redskins name was created by a racist owner who wanted to flaunt his racism. This country has a long history of racism and discrimination against non-whites. It is time to end the use of racist names from mainstream society.

162. defscottyb says: Oct 6, 2013 10:41 PM

Mr. Obama…

Apache
    Comanche
    Black Hawk
    Chinook
    Iroquois
    Kiowa:

These are all names of United States Mililtary Helicopters… and don’t forget the tomahawk missle…

I don’t think the United States Military named these thinking it was disparaging to Native Americans. They named them to honor them and I don’t hear anyone being outraged by this. Nobody is asking for a name change there. Same thing with the Redskins.

Oh yeah… Oklahoma means Red Man or Red People in it’s Native translation. Didn’t one of the pc liberal politicians asking for a name change come from this state??? I don’t hear him asking for the name of his own state to be changed.

163. tillihawk says: Oct 7, 2013 12:02 AM

If all you morons that oppose the name would look into the teams history , the team got the name from Owner Preston Marshall and his native American coach and players in 1933. They were the Boston Braves at the time and the Native Americans disliked the name “Braves” and wanted the name changed to the Redskins to honor their heritage. This is an honor to the Native American race.. not a disgrace !!!

164. crystalwalton2013 says: Oct 7, 2013 1:13 AM

I am American Indian; from the tribes Lummi, Nooksack, Comanche, and Soowahlie (Canadian). I find nothing offensive about the name ‘Redskins’. We do have a red tone to our skin so why would the truth be offensive? Someone will always be offended by something…the eldest member of my family is offended by the term “Native American” and adamantly states we are “American Indians” and not Native Americans. I, personally find this whole uproar over the name of a team which has been its name for decades, to be ridiculous.

165. jthorpe620 says: Oct 7, 2013 5:36 AM

Let’s get the facts straight: I am mostly native american and served the American military, and I do not find the name offensive at all. In fact some of us find how funny it is you are all debating this including our commander in chief.
    To our commander in chief: please concentrate more in fixing the healthcare mess and guiding our great nation, and influncing a restart of government….I am more offended by our elected officals not being able to agree on a budget and not being able to visit parks which were mostly native american land or things such as the war memorials for our veterans.
    This is ridiculous. The name Red Skin refers to war paint not to skin pigment of a native american. Keep the name and get over it please.

166. diyhandymantony says: Oct 7, 2013 8:55 AM

The beauty of the First Amendment is we have the right to free speech. Nowhere is it written that we have the right to not be ‘offended’. If enough folks saw “Redskins” in a negative light, the team would re-brand itself. That OTHER American concept (Free Enterprise) is what should govern the naming of the Washington, DC NFL team, not a small gaggle of politically hypersensitive twits.

167. All-American Voltron says: Oct 7, 2013 9:45 AM

tjacks7 says: Oct 5, 2013 7:53 PM

———————————————
    I guess you didn’t read on this very website about the large protests from the Oneida tribe at the Packers-Redskins game?

And if I was Native, I sure as heck wouldn’t step up in public. As if I would need to give White people more reasons to resent me besides the millions we make with casinos …

168. joegingras says: Oct 7, 2013 11:08 AM

In life everyone is offended one time or another….that’s life ! Presently , the politically liberal idea is change the system to accommodate an individual ? Hey ! I am offended that a Socialist Black President lies to the people in this country…… I want the president to be removed , under the liberal rules ; I am within my rights.

169. joegingras says: Oct 7, 2013 11:19 AM

In response to a comment above ,the only indian with red skin that I remember seeing was in the movie Peter Pan and I thought he was blushing at the time. The Washington Redskins were my favorite team in the past and I never thought bad about that name. Liberals want to change the world to their way of thinking…..its a shame and its impossible to please everyone all the time. As Rick Nelson one sang ” Can’t Please Everyone , So You Got To Please Yourself “.

170. twobluegills says: Oct 7, 2013 1:14 PM

So now that we stole all of their land and plundered the country we care about their feelings? I doubt it.

171. minnesoulja says: Oct 7, 2013 2:25 PM

kwjsb says:
    Oct 5, 2013 8:11 PM
    @kremis says: Oct 5, 2013 7:58 PM

“In a democracy, which is what America is, doesn’t the majority vote rule?”

——————————————–

Really close to accurate, we are actually a “Representative Republic” but your answer still made me laugh.

172. NoHomeTeam says: Oct 7, 2013 6:16 PM

kwjsb says: This was a post from another website asking this question, It seemed worth the copy and paste.

*********************
    Unfortunately, I think this cleverly-written epigram is flying at an altitude well above the heads of the majority of posters on this thread. Like, SR-71 over China above . . .

173. NoHomeTeam says: Oct 7, 2013 6:24 PM

rcali says: How’s that “Obamacare” working out for everybody? My parents were told they are being dropped from their insurance company. Thanks Buddy!

**********

It’s working out well, since you asked. I will be retaining the same coverage I had prior to the affordable healthcare act, with the same provider, but at slightly reduced premium.

174. NoHomeTeam says: Oct 7, 2013 6:31 PM

aljack88 says: What’s next? Will the fans of the Atlanta Braves will have to do their war cry silently?

************

Let’s hope that they ultimately won’t do it at all

175. NoHomeTeam says: Oct 7, 2013 6:35 PM

dt58 says: FYI to everyone using the Chiefs in this discussion. They were named after the mayor of KC when the team moved there in 1963. The mayors name was H. Roe Bartle and his nickname was “Chief”.

************
    Why don’t they have a silhouette of his head on their helmets, then?

176. NoHomeTeam says: Oct 7, 2013 6:41 PM

snnyjcbs says: Keep the name Redskins and tell the Soft, Idiots of the Country, the ones that have turned the Nation into a Laughing stock to kiss o-=

********
    Kiss the Enterprise?

177. dpj1022 says: Oct 7, 2013 7:16 PM

Every time I read something by this guy I feel I need to shower.

178. thegrigga49 says: Oct 8, 2013 12:46 PM

This name should not be changed. Point blank.

179. voteforno6 says: Oct 8, 2013 2:59 PM

So, they’re using Lanny Davis to defend this name. That person has made quite a career in representing dictators. Nice choice there, Dan.

180. flatlander22 says: Oct 9, 2013 12:15 PM

This is the reason, actually SEVERAL $MILLION$ REASONS, why Obama is so interested and weighed in when he could have declined to participate.
    “President Barack Obama met with a group of tribal donors on July 18, collecting at least 1.5 million dollars. Proceeds were to go to the Obama Victory Fund, a joint fundraising committee of Obama for America, the Democratic National Committee, and several state Democratic parties. Confirmed to be at the event were Deborah Parker, vice-chair of the Tulalip Tribe; Bill John Baker, principal chief of the Cherokee Nation; Todd Hembree, attorney general of the Cherokee Nation; David Bean, a council member of the Puyallup Tribe of Indians; and Ray Halbritter, Oneida Indian Nation representative (Indian Country Today Media Network, LLC is owned by the Oneida Indian Nation). Muckleshoot, Nisqually, Suquamish, and other Indian-focused and tribal officials were also in attendance. Keith Harper, a Cherokee partner with Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton, played a major role in organizing the event as Obama’s finance bundler for Native Americans and tribes. He also works as a lawyer representing Indian interests in the $3.4 billion Cobell settlement, which was announced by the Obama administration in December 2009, soon after Harper served on the Obama transition team. Harper has concurrently advocated for both the Indian interests involved in the case, as well as for the Obama administration and its campaign interests.
    USA Today reported in mid-May that tribal governments had donated more than 1 million to the Obama campaign by the time of its report. His campaign received a reported $264,000 from tribes in 2008.”

181. pocket626 says: Oct 13, 2013 2:34 PM

If a brown person was on the Browns helmet, this would be considered racist in this world. No different. I think the name should remain though due to its legacy, but with the way the world is today, those not comfortable with who they are pull the racist card.