Skip to content

Concussion settlement languishing so far

courtroom Getty Images

On August 29, the NFL and more than 4,500 former players agreed to a settlement of the concussion lawsuits.

Since then, nothing has happened.

The first step will be for Judge Anita Brody to grant preliminary approval to the settlement.  To date, a hearing for that purpose hasn’t been scheduled.  Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the hearing could be held in late October.

Then, if Judge Brody gives preliminary approval to the settlement, a hearing will be set several months down the road for the purposes of giving final approval to the settlement.

Meanwhile, a league source tells PFT that the ownership meetings to be held this week will include a full ratification vote for the $765 million settlement.  It’s believed to be a formality, especially since the settlement is widely viewed to be favorable to the NFL.

Permalink 2 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
2 Responses to “Concussion settlement languishing so far”
  1. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Oct 6, 2013 5:48 PM

    I bet the League will view the $765M settlement of claims as exceptionally favorable in light of what is going to be broadcast on PBS’ Frontline on Tuesday night.

  2. joestemme says: Oct 6, 2013 6:12 PM

    Exactly, ialwayswantedtobeabanker. Once the NFL pressured ESPN to back out of the PBS Frontline Documentary AND rushed to settle the lawsuits you just know the league wanted to be able to say, “Hey, this Frontline Documentary is ‘old’ news, nothing to see here, move along.” (although not ALL the players have agreed to be part of the suit, lest we forget)

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!