Vikings stadium will have personal seat licenses, with a different name

Money_for_Nothing_Music_Video

While guys from sea to shining sea continue to install microwave ovens as part of a custom kitchen delivery, NFL teams continue to find ways to get money for nothing.

The personal seat license, the P.R.-crafted name for charging fans a large lump sum for the mere right to buy tickets, has spread to Minnesota, where the new venue will include a “Stadium Builders License” (P.R. speak for “don’t think of it as a Personal Seat License, even though it is”) for roughly 75 percent of the seats.

Fans won’t be gouged; the expected average will be $2,500, with 10,000 seats at $1,000 or less and the maximum no more than $10,000.  Still, the concept of making people pay for nothing will rub some people the wrong way.

Governor Mark Dayton continues to be rubbed the wrong way by the program.

“As far as I’m concerned, personally, $1 for a personal seat license is $1 too much,” Dayton said, via the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Then again, they’ll still pay.  And if/when (when) they do, the program will yield a maximum contribution of $125 million toward the stadium.  Which is $125 million less than the Vikings or the NFL will have to come up with.

That ain’t working.  That’s definitely the way you do it.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Vikings stadium will have personal seat licenses, with a different name”
  1. purplengold says: Oct 6, 2013 8:55 AM

Why not play the guitar on the MTV?

2. lonespeed says: Oct 6, 2013 9:04 AM

I don’t get it…why do people put up with PSLs. Football in HD is better anyway. Just spring for a game once or twice a year and you’ll come out ahead. Don’t complain if you’re going to pay it.

3. floratiotime says: Oct 6, 2013 9:04 AM

Socialism for the rich. Thanks for the wealth transfer taxpayers.

4. wrongsizeglass says: Oct 6, 2013 9:05 AM

Exactly. It seems like the Vikings ownership is dead set on getting a brand new stadium for free.

5. wrongsizeglass says: Oct 6, 2013 9:12 AM

Perhaps they’re calling them a “Stadium Builders License” so people who buy them can’t resell these “licenses” themselves?

6. jimmysee says: Oct 6, 2013 9:41 AM

Hardy har. At least I got three shares of Packers stock.

7. nanner12wojo says: Oct 6, 2013 9:44 AM

I’ve been a season ticket holder for 11 years. I have 4 seats in the lower part of the upper deck on the Vikings sideline. If not for PSLs I would keep my tickets for life.

If I’m charged $2,500 per seat that’s a $10,000 price tag. No way I can justify that.

Sorry Vikings — I’ll spend half that on a new 70 inch HDTV and save my money from the $8 beers at the stadium 8 Sundays every fall

I’ll buy a game here or there on StubHub but that’s it.

8. thedownwardspiral says: Oct 6, 2013 9:46 AM

Vikes fans will whine that it’s the Saints fault and that SB 44 should be theirs.

9. hvoigt21 says: Oct 6, 2013 9:51 AM

I agree with the governor, $1 is one dollar to much for a seat license.

10. tokyosandblaster says: Oct 6, 2013 9:56 AM

That’s a years salary for your average Minnesotan. That, plus the fact that there are only 7 or 8 people who are truly “fans” of the Vikings, and I don’t see theses licenses doing well.

After all, this is a franchise that relies on local corporations to avoid blackouts.

11. oprahchapelle says: Oct 6, 2013 9:56 AM

Zygi gets 100 mil from TV contracts every year I think he can skip the licenes

12. oprahchapelle says: Oct 6, 2013 9:58 AM

I hope they leave and I’m a huge vikings fan

13. cfsilence says: Oct 6, 2013 10:00 AM

There is an entire generation of PFT readers who missed 100% of the jokes in this post.

That said, it seems Viking fans are truly in dire straits.

14. heybeerman95 says: Oct 6, 2013 10:03 AM

“Fans won’t be gouged; the expected average will be $2,500 ” for the privilege of then being able to buy tickets to the seats that you now “own”(which you really dont). $5000 average for 2 seats, what a crock. Not a bad as some teams but really!?!?!?

15. Little Earthquake says: Oct 6, 2013 10:34 AM

Look at them yo yos.

16. redwing26 says: Oct 6, 2013 10:45 AM

If the stadium was built with taxpayer money then they’ve already paid for their seat!

17. djg209 says: Oct 6, 2013 10:46 AM

PSL money should go towards paying down the states share of the stadium until that is paid back.

18. doubledeuce7 says: Oct 6, 2013 10:47 AM

I am always amazed when people complain about PSL’s. These stadiums have to be paid for by someone – so it’s either the taxpayers, the owners, or the consumers (usually a mix of all three). If there are no PSL’s, some of that cost probably gets shifted to the taxpayers. Taxpayers get soaked over and over again by these stadium deals, so at least the PSL’s lighten the load a bit.

19. jackrabbitz says: Oct 6, 2013 10:50 AM

You have to field a winning team before you try to charge that much.

20. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 6, 2013 11:01 AM

Ok, now I get it. Sid Hartman is reporting the money is needed for the specially reinforced seat bottoms that will hold up under their morbidly obese fanbase.

C’mon you cheap Viking fans – we don’t need any more structures in MN collapsing.

21. djstat says: Oct 6, 2013 11:04 AM

PSL gives you the first right to buy tickets for all events at the stadium, not just football. It is a one time fee that you pay, and a license you can sell. I bought a PSL for the Ravens in 2001 for $500. Someone in my row just sold their PSL for $5,000

22. drhookrx says: Oct 6, 2013 11:06 AM

I’m a Panther PSL holder. In Carolina the stadium was financed with PSL’s and no public money. That was what I thought the beauty of PSL’s were. The taxpayers who didn’t want to finance a stadium didn’t have to. Only the fans who wanted to were charged for PSL’s. Selling PSL’s and using tax payer dollars sucks.

23. indytom87 says: Oct 6, 2013 11:12 AM

Supply and demand 101. If people are willing to pay then why not charge a seat license?

24. yooperman says: Oct 6, 2013 11:14 AM

And Viking fans make fun of my $250 stock. Take a picture of your seat and frame that.

25. davem23 says: Oct 6, 2013 11:16 AM

I would like to see an article identifying teams with and without PSLs.

I know people like to hate on my Skins, but that stadium was built by the owner on his property with no public funds and no PSLs.

26. fargovikesfan says: Oct 6, 2013 11:16 AM

I get a kick out of the Packer fans making fun of the PSL deal. Um, technically your worthless pieces of paper that make you a “team owner” are the same damn thing. Nobody is making you buy them, just like nobody is being forced to buy a PSL. Yeah it sucks, but its the price you gotta pay if you want season tickets (over half the teams in the NFL use them now).

27. icornholedmcnastysmom says: Oct 6, 2013 11:32 AM

Structures fall down if Wisconsin all the time. We don’t hear about it, because no one cares what happens in Wisconsin.

28. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 6, 2013 12:17 PM

And just where are degenerate Viking fans supposed to come up with that kind of money?

It’s not cheap keeping their 300 lb. women fed. $2500 = 5 cars to those people. Or 2 years worth of trailer payments.

29. rcali says: Oct 6, 2013 12:17 PM

Suckers are born everyday. Thanks for buying us a new office for our workers!
    signed,
    Wilf

30. hgl25 says: Oct 6, 2013 1:00 PM

The Wilfs might get a blister on their little finger, maybe will get a blister on their thumb when counting all that PSL money that they will receive.

31. freebledsoe says: Oct 6, 2013 1:01 PM

Good luck selling all those PSL’s in Minnesota! Many of us are already disgusted with the amount of public money going into this deal. Now it turns out the Wilfs are only putting up 10% of the cost themselves, and getting 200 mil from the NFL as well as expecting PSL’s to generate the rest of the “team’s” portion of the cost.

I hope very very few people buy them. It’s a BS fee that is charged to give you the privilege of being able to pay another fee lol! KFAN researched the resale prices of PSL’s around the league, in the majority of markets the resale value of your “investment” in a PSL plummeted to between 10% and 40% of original cost within 4 years.

If they do not sell, the Wilfs are on the hook for the stadium funding they are counting on PSL’s to cover.

32. rcpecook says: Oct 6, 2013 4:49 PM

Ring, ring.

“Hello, thanks for calling Target, how can I help you?”

“Yes, my name is Zygi, any interest in purchasing some Minnesota Vikings tickets? We’re kinda in a jam over here….”

“How many this time?”