Packers hoping Matthews’ thumb injury not season-ending

Getty Images

The Packers had to put a linebacker on IR Monday, but they’re hoping they don’t have to make it two.

Packers linebacker Clay Matthews has suffered a broken thumb, which has put his status in doubt, according to Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said at his press conference that Matthews was getting a second opinion, adding an ominous-looking: “I’m hopeful it’s not season-ending.”

The Packers haven’t used their IR/designated for return spot yet, so that would ostensibly be an option, depending on what the doctors tell Matthews.

The Packers also announced they had placed linebacker Robert Francois on injured reserve after he tore his Achilles in yesterday’s win over the Lions. They filled his roster spot by signing cornerback James Nixon from the practice squad.

UPDATE 5:13 p.m. ET: Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Matthews is expected to miss a month because of the injury.

84 responses to “Packers hoping Matthews’ thumb injury not season-ending

1. If his season is over I hate to say it but think the Packers are too. We saw in Cincy what the defense looks like without him in the 2nd half of that game.

The only positive would be draft picks in the middle of each round next May and that’s where Ted Thompson has done some of his best work. I think the Packers are good this season but not a great team they are missing too many pieces to win it all. Another spectacular draft like some of Ted’s early ones would put this team over the top.

2. IF he misses a month, that puts him out for week 8 @MN

hmmmm…..

I wont get carried away with anything, but it will make a difference.

Filthy or Tokyo whats your take?

I think one of those big club/casts is what a real man would do in the situation. But if the cast gets in the way of brushing his hair, and Aaron is busy getting ready for the games, WHO WILL BRUSH HIS SILKY GOLDEN PRIMA-DONNA HAIR?

WHO WILL BRUSH THE HAIR?!

3. What am I missing here? He’s an upright standing pass rush specialist who doesn’t make many tackles on run plays. Why couldn’t he play with that injury?

4. Packers barely inching by Detroit minus Calvin Johnson and burleson and now golden boy Fabio could be out? Looking like the packers are destined to keep that 3rd place in the division occupied this year.

5. If he’d broke the hand and not just a thumb, they would build a club around it and he likely wouldn’t miss any time at all.

But! Just the thumb? Could be the end of the season.

Crazy stuff.

6. I thought the same thing. With the style of player he is, I can’t see how a “club” would hurt him that much. And Mathews with a club would be better than who’d replace him. Unless he’s got several bones sticking out all over, I don’t get this. Even then, I don’t see a thumb being a month long injury for a linebacker.

7. minnesoulja says:
    Oct 7, 2013 5:19 PM
    IF he misses a month, that puts him out for week 8 @MN

hmmmm…..

I wont get carried away with anything, but it will make a difference.

Filthy or Tokyo whats your take?

WHO WILL BRUSH THE HAIR?!
    ……….
    I hope you are not seriously asking Filthy/Tokyo for an objective take on ANYTHING……..especially anything involving the Vikings.

8. cordo42 says:
    Oct 7, 2013 5:18 PM
    This would be fantastic news if it was season ending!!!!
    ___________________________________

Hope you’re kidding, otherwise you’re a pretty disgusting individual

9. It’s a thumb, how could it possible be season ending? I’m looking forward to this explanation.

10. lol, if one of you fanboys broke your thumb so badly that surgery was a viable option it would be truly special to watch you wince, grimace and cry when you put your pants on much less slam it against another guy in a professional football game over and over.

You guys are lunatics.

11. I never knew there were so many doctors on this site who know how bad of an injury Matthews has. I’ll have to check these comments in the future for medical advice.

12. What has become of football players? Make millions and break your thumb you miss a month?! Guys playing in the 50’s, 60’s and even the 70’s made so much less money many had to get off season jobs. Yet in those days you would barely miss a play for a broken thumb. Tape it up and get back out there!

13. minnesoulja says:
    Oct 7, 2013 5:19 PM
    “IF he misses a month, that puts him out for week 8 @MN
    hmmmm…..
    I wont get carried away with anything, but it will make a difference.
    Filthy or Tokyo whats your take?”
    ————————————–
    3-0 w/o Clay in divisional games last year…
    held the vikes and noodle arm to 14 points, lions to 20 points (with Calvin in the lineup – no Clay/no woodson – still shutdown fluffy stafford’s gimmick offense).

14. Way to shake that soft label you all like to complain about.

I’ve played football with a broken wrist, and turned out just fine.

Put a soft cast on it and get back to work just like every other player in the NFL that breaks a thumb/finger.

An amputated thumb wouldn’t be sufficient to end his season…

S O F T

15. I remember the days when a LB would just tape the damn thumb up and go in there…they don’t pay you to catch the ball, they pay you to hit guys! Where is Jack Lambert, Tommy Nobis, Ditka, Nitschke??

16. Good player, but he sure seems to get hurt more than the average NFL LB. He’s the one defender the Pack really can’t afford to lose.

17. Fought a ten round boxing match once with a broken thumb. I understand your just a football player, but gee man, suck it up Nancy….

18. Early Bye week this year, so if he misses the month, it could be a blessing in disguise, keep him and his hamstrings fresh for a late season push.

Force Neal/Perry/Anyone else to step up – Force Dom to get creative with his blitzes again.

19. Waffle 2.0 says:
    Oct 7, 2013 5:54 PM

You guys are lunatics.

———————————————————

The only contact he deals with in a game is when he runs into the quarterback. He has yet to record a hit on a running back in his career.

Have you ever watched a football game where a guy has a soft cast/club on? Or any football game, for that matter? You can see these casts even at the high school level.

If you want a career in the NFL without pain, you don’t have a career, the soft don’t survive.

20. A Long Time Ago…..
    …In An HGH Galaxy Far Away this guy was good. But now he is mostly weakside, and he’s not getting double teamed like he used to.
    I think his time is up.

21. All you especially paula who hope clay is out for the thanksgiving game must not be real football fans. You should want for him to be healthy so when we beat them at ford field there will be no excuses we will have beat them at their best. You know they were thinking man we got a pass because of calvin being inactive had he not we would of destroyed them our def held them to field goals in the entire first half people n everyone begging for Schwartz ‘s head wake up n shut up. Come thanksgiving I hope both teams are healthy and watch what we do to them. We will win this division cause honestly I don’t think greenbay beats the bears twice and the only game I saw is losing was at lambeau if at all but then calvin was inactive kind of sealed it. Everyone take a deep breathe the season just started and we are above .500 and 2-1 in the division . Oh and Vikings fans if u think getting josh freeman is gonna put u at the top of the division you are all crazy get used to being at the bottom of the barrel cause we are done being down there.

22. faultylogic29 says:
    Oct 7, 2013 5:54 PM

———————————————————
    No medical schooling is required, this is a THUMB! It could be smashed, demolished, hanging on by a thread of skin, it doesn’t matter.

Packer fans can be so ignorant. Defend your team’s softness all you want.

23. nowillrepeat says:
    Oct 7, 2013 5:25 PM
    “Im not dirty, I’m awesome”
    ……………………………………………………………………………….
    I dont know why but LMFAO. It reminds me of Fabio’s it not butter commercials. So utterly pointless, but hilarious.

24. Wonder what LT or Deacon Jones would do with their teams next game…

Love the packers to death but the players and game of football might as well be a flag league… 1st the league changes the way the game is played now trainers are babysitting the players. What’s next??

I mean for crying out loud it’s a thumb. I’m sure Brett Favre is laughing right now

25. It will be challenging for the Packers to maintain their #1 defensive ranking within the NFC North without Mathews, but I suspect the Packers will respond well to the adversity.

26. If Rodgers is the elite QB everyone claims he is then he should get the Packers through the same way Manning is getting Denver through without Von Miller n Champ Bailey.

27. Over ten dedicated anti-Packer trolls on one injury piece, this is hilarious. Also, who’s this pathological liar who claims Mathews hasn’t hit a RB before?

28. We’ve come a long way from Ronnie Lott, who chose to sever his finger and play. Or Chris Spielman, who played a season with a torn pectoral making one-armed tackles and leading his team in tackles.

29. Just fire the Packers’ training staff. One season where we aren’t plagued by injuries is too much to ask with this crew.

30. Man must be a lot of packers fans on here I got 5 thumbs down for speaking the truth truth is outside of Rodgers and Matthews your team is a joke your receivers at good cause Rodgers carries them with his throws by putting then spot on thier defense without clay blows period. We by far are the more talented team and come turkey day we will show you I fully expect us to blow the packers out like 35 to 10

31. Just fire the Packers’ training staff. One season where we aren’t plagued by injuries is too much to ask with this crew.

32. thepvyharvin says: Oct 7, 2013 6:01 PM

______________________

Back in the day this would have been mildly difficult, but now that you have Kinect on your Xbox it’s really not that big of an accomplishment.

33. The funniest part of all of this is that every single one of you would love to have Clay Matthews on your team. You would have your mom’s run right out and by you his jersey if he played for the Vikings, Lions or Bears

34. Did Clay get hurt flopping? Clay is trying to bring flopping to the NFL. No more flopping Clay you are ruining the game. And the refs that call that weak flailing of the arms beforeClay dives should be fired.

35. Another season where the Packers are plagued by injuries. I should no longer be surprised by this and I’m a Packers fan. Just fire the medical staff.

36. rodh32340 says:
    Oct 7, 2013 5:57 PM

——————-
    This comment got 7 thumbs up and zero thumbs down. The funny thing about that is when someone mentions suh being a throwback beast, people want to say “that was years ago, this is the now! He’s dirty”… But now people are missing the players that suh is often compared to and who have the same mentality… Hypocritical. You guys are ALMOST as inconsistent as the referees in today’s game.

37. I feel the need to mention that Matthews played half of the Super Bowl season with a stress fracture in his leg. He was runner up for DPOY that year.

Also, for a soft team, the Packers really physically dominated the Lions on Sunday.

38. Hey mad respect for clay I’m a die hard lions fan and the guy is one of the best in the business at his position. Yet I liked clay better when he shut his mouth and just destroyed people the media has brought out the mouth in him and it’s ruining his image. Lions fans don’t dog clay because he could of been a lion and all of you would be loving it if he were and don’t say you wouldn’t he could walk onto any team and instantly make them better. Point is we don’t need the bad karma we have a good thing going. Let the man get his thumb fixed damn half you little girls on here would have fainted if you broke your thumb.

39. Lot of bottom feeders commenting on this one.

Unless you are an MD who has seen Matthews xrays you are not qualified to second guess the opinion of one who has. If a doctor has said clay sits 4 weeks that has nothing to do with Clays toughness.

40. I had this injury. It was 1888, French and Indian war. I was trying to shoot a french or an indian, didn’t really care, just shoot someone, and I got my thumb in between where the hammer hits the thing a ma jig and something else. Anyways my thumb got in the way and it was smashed.

I had to take a leave of absence from the war, so I went to the local towns and serviced all the horny woman whose men weren’t stupid enough to get their thumbs in the wrong place. They were stupid enough to go to war and leave their women behind however.

I was laid up with the thumb for 10 weeks. After that I returned to the front under General Mike McCarthy. I asked the general if he had a wife named Sarah and he looked at me oddly……..

41. is it on the hand he brushes his hair with or the hand he jerks rodgers off with? either way what a blow for him

42. Lombardi is rolling over in his grave…guys played with broken thumbs all the time, when real men played real football. Ronnie Lott would have cut his thumb off if it helped win a game. Jack Lambert just keeps laughing at these boys that now play. When will real men return to the game and make the NFL what it once was

43. faultylogic29 says:
    Oct 7, 2013 7:06 PM

without burleson and megatron

44. As a Packer fan I’m getting tired of all of his injury problems and that concerned me when we signed him to an extension . Some individuals seem to be snake bit with injuries and I am starting to believe he’s one of them.

45. Wisconsin77 says:Oct 7, 2013 6:58 PM

Come on man, Favre played QB with a broken thumb in his THROWING HAND for petes sake. If he can play QB then you can play LB with one.
    __________________________________

As I recall, Favre played terribly when he had that injury. He’d have been better off riding the bench for a few weeks and getting healthy.

Oh, and he didn’t have surgery either, just a hairline fracture.

So you brought up this comparison why?

46. rodh32340 says:
    Oct 7, 2013 5:57 PM

____________________________________

Ditka was a tight end in the NFL…

47. Fathead has issued a hand cast sticker to all 4 gb fans that purchased the blonde chick stuck on their wall.
    Although, brass knuckle stickers were only rumors.

48. “Overrated on what is a terrible defense”

Sure is. 6th in the league is just brutal. Time to blow it up.

49. as a Vikes fan I am not sad to see him miss any games, but it is a bummer that he is injured… don’t like seeing anyone get hurt, especially when its just over a game

(a game we all love but peoples lives are more important than being a fan)

50. @sergisbauer

Your recall is wrong.

Favre suffered a broken right thumb against St. Louis; after bye week, threw three touchdown passes in victory over Minnesota. I’d post the link, but the mods won’t post it. Easy to look up though. You’re welcome.

51. sergisbauer says: Oct 7, 2013 8:08 PM

Wisconsin77 says:Oct 7, 2013 6:58 PM

__________________________________

Oh, and he didn’t have surgery either, just a hairline fracture.

So you brought up this comparison why?
    —————————-
    Clearly you are too young to either remember or to have paid attention, but Favre played better that year after the injury. He led the league in td passes and also lead the Packers to the playoffs. Maybe that’s why he brought up the comparison.

52. Be real guys. Any other finger and yeah there are any myriad of options to show what a man you are. However a thumb is pretty important. If you have never hurt your thumb before I suggest you wrap it to the rest of your hand for a couple days. Good luck writing, using keys, drinking from a glass, etc. Besides other than the Ravens their schedule is pretty easy for quite awhile.

53. @Wisconsin77
    @igocommando

sergisbauer remembered correctly. The Packers were carried with the rushing attack for the most part.

2003 Packers after thumb
    Vikings 190 pass 261 rushing
    Eagles 68 pass 241 rush
    Bucs 92 Pass 190 rush
    49ers 136 Pass 243 rush

54. He probably wasn’t cleared to play by doctors. If you want to question his toughness just remember that he played a half a season in the Packers Super Bowl year with a stress fracture in his shin…