Raiders cut Matt Flynn

Getty Images

Matt Flynn’s short tenure in Oakland has come to an end.

Flynn, the quarterback acquired by the Raiders in a trade with the Seahawks this offseason, has been released, according to Jim Trotter of Sports Illustrated.

Although the Raiders traded for Flynn with the expectation that he would be their starter this season, he was beaten out in training camp and the preseason by Terrelle Pryor. When Pryor missed a game this season with a concussion, Flynn played so badly that he was demoted from second to third on the depth chart after Pryor returned. And now Flynn isn’t on the Raiders’ depth chart at all.

For the Raiders, who traded away a fifth-round pick for Flynn, this is an embarrassment that is compounded by the embarrassment of spending a fourth-round draft pick on quarterback Tyler Wilson and then cutting him before the start of the regular season. The good news, however, is that Pryor looks like a keeper at quarterback.

Now the question is where Flynn will end up. After failing to earn a starting job in Seattle or Oakland, there may not be another place where he could compete for a starting job. What might make sense is a return to Green Bay, where Flynn did good work as Aaron Rodgers’ backup.

156 responses to “Raiders cut Matt Flynn

1. I would love to have him back up Rodgers again, he was good in relief when he played on a good team, he knew the system, and we have not been able to develop any of the other late round picks since. He made his 24 million, if he can’t start he might as well be appreciated.

2. Purely a system QB. He will wind up back in GB and will backup Rodgers, he is miles better than Coleman.

3. People called me crazy at the end of the preseason when I said the Raiders should have admitted the mistake and called Green Bay up to see if they wanted to get him back for a 6th or 7th round pick. I don’t sound so crazy now, do I?

Bad for them, he actually had to play and showed the rest of the league how terrible he really is when he’s not playing against the worst secondary ever like that Detroit one that made him so much money, so even Green Bay wasn’t going to give them a pick for him.

4. This is really a good move in the end. He just could not produce. I do like how the Raiders management is not too proud to release someone they didn’t make the right call on. Far cry from where we were a few years ago.

5. “The good news, however, is that Pryor looks like a keeper at quarterback.”

vey true. I must say i didnt expect him to be a good QB, but hes been on target with throws all season, can run, and seems to know how to lead that offense.

6. This dude owes the packers big time for helping him rob millions from not one but two teams, all based on what? One game in week 17 against a team that wasnt even trying and had a bad defense to begin with???

7. Diehard Raider fan here but can’t understand why Reggie gave him the guaranteed contract that he did? WTH? PS – I said it last week and I’ll say it again….Raiders would have soundly beaten the Reskins if Pryor was in the line up! Lets go wup some Chiefs!

8. After that Redskins loss he had to go . Signing him is Reggie’s worst move . I wish him well . He seems like a really good guy .

9. This guy backed up Jemarcus Russell in college. Why people are still throwing money at him is really ridiculous to me. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and throws the football like a duck, IT”S A FRIGGIN DUCK. How many chances should he get?

10. What a strange saga it has been for this guy.

One magnificent game, and POOF! Off he goes on a magical journey.

No one should feel sorry for him though, because he made a lot of money bouncing around the last two years.

And now it seems he is going to come full circle and end back up where he started. It’ll be like an old friend coming home after going abroad, with tales to tell and riches to boast.

11. Dude can’t catch a break

____________________________

WHAT!?! He played one awesome game and got $40 MIL. Only to start 1 regular season game and play in a few preseason games. I’d say he made out like a bandit!!!

12. He was and is better than Rodgers in the Packers’ system. They should have signed Flynn and traded Rodgers while the latter’s value was still high. Rodgers is clearly on the decline and a mediocre QB at best anyway.

13. Rick Spielman is a Magician says:Oct 7, 2013 2:37 PM

He’ll sign in Green Bay for sure. A guy who was cut by the Raiders.
    ==========================

Says the fan of a team that just picked up Tampa Bay’s reject to be their STARTER.

I saw Peter King did a statistical comparison of Tim Tebow, Blaine Gabbert and Josh Freeman.

Lets just say that Josh Freeman fit right in with that group.

14. I actually would not mind Cleveland bringing him in to be a backup over Campbell, or at worst 3rd string. If Weeden sucks it up, give the guy a shot. Browns are still planning on drafting a QB in 2014 anyway.

15. Ted, pick up the phone. But don’t offer him much.

That said, people need to back off Flynn. He’s an average backup quarterback but is all class. What’s he supposed to do when people just throw money at him? Say, “Naw guys, I’m actually not that good?”

Shut up, take the money and do your best. I have no doubt he put forth his best effort. His best effort just isn’t that great.

16. Besides all jokes, this does not reflect very well on Reggie McKenzie. He traded for Flynn, guaranteed him decent amount of money and he has been cut in the first week of October. Remember he also spent a 4th round pick on Wilson who has also been cut already.

17. I remember when he had that great game against the Patriots when he was with Green Bay. They almost pulled off the upset. Now he’s been beat out by two rookies in two years.

18. I don’t think he gets another chance after his latest showing. Going back to Green Bay? Maybe, but any QB can succeed with Rodgers as their mentor, well almost anybody.

19. Has anyone signed for the money this guy did and get less of a chance?? Heck, the Vikes spent 4 years developing T-Jack and 2 plus on Ponder….this guy started what, 10 games total and everyone threw in the towel on him!!!

20. ecupatsfan12 says:
    Oct 7, 2013 2:36 PM

Well seeing as BJ Coleman is no longer on the roster I’m guessing Flynn is better than Coleman. The question is whether or not he is better than Seneca Wallace.

21. At this point, it wouldn’t shock me if he ended up in Minnesota…what a disappointment this season is shaping up to be…. 😦

22. I give Reggie credit for knowing when he was wrong and correcting the situation. Pryor looks better with each start and after last nights performance; I’m sure it made his decision to cut Flynn much easier. They will sign another Vet backup that will not make Pryor feel threaten. GO RAIDERS!!!!

23. I saw this coming when he was at LSU. Never thought much of Flynn and I’m surprised he’s had the financial success he’s had.

24. ecupatsfan12 says: Purely a system QB

A meaningless expression. Every QB runs the system put in by the OC/Head Coach, whether it’s Coryell, West Coast, Spread Option, etc. Nobody is out there drawing up plays in the dirt.

25. Flynn only still had a career because of 2 games he played against the Detroit Lions secondary.

26. mataug says:
    Oct 7, 2013 2:52 PM
    Besides all jokes, this does not reflect very well on Reggie McKenzie. . Remember he also spent a 4th round pick on Wilson who has also been cut already.
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Wilson is on our practice squad, but would agree Big Reg might need some help on evaluating QB’s

27. Spent some money on qb’s in order to create competition and see who rose to the occasion. Found the guy in Pryor. Time to move on and take the hit. Still not as much a most teams are paying for their qb

28. kaeprulestheworld says:
    Oct 7, 2013 2:32 PM
    Dude can’t catch a break

Please tell me you’re joking. Two teams in two years have tried to hand this guy a starting job and two times he’s blown it.

I know Wilson turned out to be great, but if Flynn had been dominant in camp, who knows, maybe Carrol lets Wilson sit for a year and Flynn gets a chance.

And he was flat out awful in Oakland. You make your own breaks in this league and this guy is out of chances.

29. He made all his money starting a meaningless game against a Lion’s secondary that was starting a wide receiver at DB.

Can’t ask for much more than that playing QB in the NFL.

30. He made all his money starting a meaningless game against a Lion’s secondary that was starting a wide receiver at DB.

Can’t ask for much more than that playing QB in the NFL.

31. ma5terbla5t3r says: Oct 7, 2013 2:46 PM

**************************************************
    These old bones are tired and sore from bucking hay all day yesterday. Can I have some of what your having?

32. Pryor did an awesome job last night (this morning). Although I have to say, like I’ve said many a time, the Charger secondary makes ANY qb a pro bowler. I bet if Flynn played, he wouldn’t have been cut this week. That secondary sucks and have sucked for years. I didn’t think there was a cb worse than Jammer, but the bolts found one. His name is Richard Marshall. Pryor would’ve ended up with probably, 1200 yards if he just threw that streak all night. I’m keeping an eye on the waiver wire to see when Marshall will be released. Disappointed so far…..

33. Good luck Matt…This should have been done months ago. Terrelle looks like the real deal. Mc Gloins the back-up. Tyler Wilson signed to the practice squad right after release.

34. so i guess that conditional pick in 2015 with the seahawks when we traded for him is no longer. You know the one where if Flynn led the raiders to the superbowl, etc….that condition…..just wondering if this years 5th round pickwe gave seattle was conditional he had to be on the team…….sorry Reggie, but after making a lot of smart moves, and making plenty of tough decisions, like getting rid of everybody on the team… this one hurts……good thing is we should get some compensatory picks this year for Matt Shaughnessy, Desmond Bryant, and Brandon Meyers, but still that 5th round pick this year would have been nice.

35. Realfootballfan says: People called me crazy at the end of the preseason when I said the Raiders should have admitted the mistake and called Green Bay up to see if they wanted to get him back for a 6th or 7th round pick. I don’t sound so crazy now, do I?

A trade would have put Green Bay on the hook for his salary under the terms of his contract with the Raiders. Your comments don’t suggest you are crazy, just that you lack basic understanding of how an NFL contract works.

36. NFL contracts ARE NOT guaranteed! Flynn didn’t earn $40 million for one game!

Only the signing bonus is semi-guaranteed.

37. Say what you want about Reggie. But he’s the only GM thats not afraid to admit mistakes no matter what bad press he gets if its for the betterment of the team. He hasn’t hit on some of his decisions but frankly I don’t feel they were major setbacks. Reggie has nothing to be embarrassed about; this is about sending a message to the rest of the team that they will admit their mistakes and if your not producing your cut.

38. I bet he goes back to Green Bay. Reminds me of when A.J. Feeley played well in relief, then was traded to the Dolphins. After bouncing around the NFL for awhile, he came back to Philly as a back-up.

39. At least he’ll always have that Al Bundy four touchdowns in one game story to tell his kids.

40. Im not sure why you guys rag on the Raiders for wasting draft picks on QBs. You have to waste picks to find a guy that you can rely on, period. Not every draft pick turns into something good, and you have to take chances. Cut your losses on guys that aren’t salvageable. Tyler Wilson had a 3rd-5th round draft grade, he was taken in the 4th. He looked awful, and Raiders cut him. So what? 4th rounders get cut all the time, the only significance is that the guy happened to be a QB.

41. Are we really talking about where a Raiders’ castoff is going to end up, other than in the CFL?

42. I would have like to see Oakland trade Flynn for something, even if we had to pay half of his salary. But I’m sure no team wanted to pay 6 million for this noodle arm guy.

I’m all for getting rid of dead weight and players with unjustified contracts. Lets the team know that management aren’t fooling around. If you’re not performing, you’re not going to be sticking around. New attitude that makes Oakland a better overall team.

43. Bad team throwing away money on players they don’t want seems to be the theme this year. Teams trying to make off season decisions in the middle of the season is never going to work. Says a lot about a team that can’t evaluate a player during training camp, and across 4 pre-season games. Pretty sad. Why do these GMs and coaches still have jobs.

44. kaeprulestheworld says:Oct 7, 2013 2:32 PM

Dude can’t catch a break

AAhh, Dude can’t play……At least he doesn’t look like a lady, so says AEROSMITH……

45. Never said anything about his bonus or about $40 million. He us a vested veteran by the way, maybe you could fire up the Google and see what that means. I did say that trading for Flynn is also trading for his existing contract, absent a separate agreement between Green Bay and Flynn, but given he was being cut I doubt he would agree to that, nor should he. Not to mention the salary cap ramifications it might have on the Raiders for any prorated bonus money they paid Flynn. Any team that traded for Flynn with plans to use him as a backup would be crazy….of course that is irrelevant now.

46. keramidas21 says:Oct 7, 2013 2:41 PM

True two most logical places would be either Jacksonville or Green Bay

Really!!!!, I say Fort living room, hell he has enough cash!!!!

47. So much for the supposed “change” in Oakland. RM doing his very best Al Davis impression with regards to player contracts.

Oh well, not like there is anyone else out there that would want the Raider GM job. Maybe Matt Millen…

Good luck with the new stadium…in concord 😛

48. i still cant say that hes a bad quarterback. he doesnt look good in camp and lost his one and only start. I care about games and i need more than one game to form an opinion

49. The more important story is Terrell Pryor.

I watched alot of that kid’s games at OSU and I telling you that most of the time he couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat. His accuracy was all over the place. He won with his legs and passed only when he had to.

Whoever worked on accuracy and mechanics with him since he got to Oakland deserves a promotion and a raise because the TP I saw out there last night is a whole different breed of cat than the one I saw at OSU.

Whatever other problems they may have, The Raiders have found their QB.

50. 5 games, 1 start = $6.25 million, all guaranteed. 2 draft picks to Seattle: 2014 5th round and a conditional 2015 pick.
    Looks like Seattle and Matt Flynn are the big winners here.

51. I played HS football and thus know a thing or two about spotting talent. Flynn? ten times better than Manning or Rodgers given the right circumstances. Just look at his performance against the Lions! SIX TDS!!! A Packer record!

52. Reggie should be visiting Al’s grave every single day thanking him for drafting Terelle Pryor, and no I don’t want to hear all you Reggie apologists giving me the cap clearing narrative (which is complete bs anyway) this roster without Pryor or a comparable QB is a 3-13 team, and based on Reggie’s draft picks and signings so far, the future looks to lie solely on the shoulders of #2.

53. Sometimes adversity has a way of telling you who and what you really are. With regard to Matt Flynn it is simple math. He is a career #2 backup. And that is not a bad place or life. The good #2’s stick around for over 10 years on average. With many getting championship rings for filling in and winning 1-3 games a year. Which Matt has proven he can do.

So advice to Matt. You already made the money. Now kick back. and enjoy it. Enjoy an after football life of great health. Enjoy the fans always screaming for you to replace the “Bum” starting if you’re on a bad team. ANd enjoy the star taking all of the heat on the good teams. I say, take the money. Do a bargain basement deal with Green Bay or Seattle. Because they are 2 championship caliber teams who like you. But don’t like your contract. Which they won’t have to pay now.

54. Miami is not looking too stupid now are they? Philbin did not overspend for him. But I do think Miami should consider signing him now because Tanney will be injured soon due to the unbelievable amount of sacks he has taken so far. However, I do expect he will resign with Green Bay. At least he should.

55. This is a huge testament to the magnitude of Mike McCarthy’s abililty to get the most out of his QB’s and the genius of his system in Green Bay. Once you took Flynn out of that system and coaching, he floundered. That’s a tough one for me to admit, being a Bear fan, but McCarthy deserves his props.

56. Hard to believe they couldn’t get at least a 7th round pick for Flynn. I thought it would have made more sense to keep he for the rest of the season since he’s already guaranteed $6.5MM, but he must have sucked so bad in practice that they thought it was worth paying him the money to get him off the roster. I hate to admit it, but I guess that idiot Jaworski was right.

57. That’s why you don’t pick a QB based on some garbage time near the end of the season when teams have clinched… others have mailed it in & can’t wait to be on vacation. He was terrible in the game against the Skins. I knew we were going to win the minute McFadden went out… McFadden should of started at QB with an option based offense.

58. Ted Thompson only needs to answer one question, Is Matt Flynn better than Wallace?

If so, sign him to a minimum vet contract and move on. Matt Flynn can be labeled a System QB or whatever, the truth of the matter is that he did everything the Packers asked of him as a backup. He nearly beat NE on the road, he beat the Lions for a game that they needed to win to qualify for the playoffs, he was more than serviceable in most of the preseason games and I dare say, he could win over the short term if Rodgers goes down. Can you say the same of Wallace?

59. joemadman says: Oct 7, 2013 3:07 PM

Flynn will do just fine bagging groceries
    ————————————-
    That would be an odd hobby for a multi-millionaire.

60. The chargers’ secondary made any qb in the NFL look like Peyton. Look at the games they lost this season: Locker, Schaub, Pryor. They all have good stats.
    Hence, the raiders felt they don’t need Flynn anymore… only they found out against teams with good secondary that Pryor is as good as Matt Leinart…. then they’ll shake their head again…
    This is typical raiders’ move.

61. After QB Geno Smith gets humiliated and pummeled tonight by the Grits Blitz , Matt Flynn will be a NY JET. Book it ! That is the place mediocre QB’s go to die and are never heard from again.

62. Way to go Flynn! Rack up those frequent flyer miles as long as they’ll give you the interview! You are still a member of an elite players union and earning retirement money as you bank those dead money paychecks…life is good!

63. Flynn will do well, somewhere…..He is better then his last two starts and I hope he gets a chance to show it.

64. thehawg says: Oct 7, 2013 3:43 PM
    Kudos to Jeff Ireland & Joe Philben for not signing him.
    ——-
    That’s only because their decision was aided by Flynn asking for a bit too much money. But he probably would have been the starter in Miami today and even flourished under Philbin’s system more than at Seattle or Oakland.

65. This is the best thing that the Raiders could have done regarding Flynn. The man simply does not produce. In my opinion, has no field awareness, mobility, and a noodle arm to compound the issue.

Pryor is the truth and the future of the Silver & Black. The Raiders should make Pryor the center piece and build a strong smash mouth type of O-line around him.

Al Davis was right regarding Pryor, the old man was right after all.

RAIDER NATION !

66. Flynn certainly made his mark in Oakland. Flynn made more money than DeAngelo Hall did per game ($8mil in 8 games) before getting run out of town. A record I thought untouchable congrats Matt Flynn!

67. I saw this coming. I think the Seahags really got one over on the Raiders about his arm. Maybe even Flynn was hiding it, but any zip he had in his arm two years ago in Green Bay is gone. I’m not sure GB will pick him back up either after watching what little tape there is. Someone said he is a system QB, maybe that is right.

I do hand it to Reggie though. When you know the chicken is cooked way over done, you throw it in the trash and start over. If Al made the pick of Flynn, he would keep him on the roster for six more years and probably give him a franchise tag.

I’m really happy that if there is dead wood on this team, they (management) let it drift away quickly.

No more dead wood scholarships. This was the right move to make. This team is headed in the right direction.

This is how teams are made, by admitting mistakes quickly, and progressively moving on.

68. mataug says:
    Oct 7, 2013 2:52 PM
    —————–

Seems like McKenzie is better with lower finds, rather than free agent deals

he has found an undrafted gem in Rod Streater, and signed some nice cheap free agents – Jenkins, LB Kevin Burnett, Nick Roach. Jury is still out on him in the draft – but low and behold #25 DJ Hayden got his first pick – in the end zone – it is coming along, just not the way we thought.

And Al Davis’ last draft pick Pryor out lasted the “big free agent trade” Matt Flynn.

69. mataug says:
    Oct 7, 2013 2:52 PM
    —————–

Seems like McKenzie is better with lower finds, rather than free agent deals

in Green Bay he got Tramon Williams off the practice squad and scouted out Sam Shields, who was undrafted as a WR-DB hybrid out of Miami….

*******************************************

Sorry, but area scout Alonzo Highsmith found both those guys. Not Reggie.

70. It’s Unfortunate, However its best that we cut ties now as every spot on the roster is needed to play every game as a contribution! Thats how this roster was meant to be built..There has been some nice gems i do agree that Reggie has found and added to the roster. We already have most of the team going thru each position 3 deep and more especially the O-line! Everyone is pitching in, and who ever does not pan out they are done.

This is a Raider Regime that is hearing what raider nation sees and wants.. finally we all seem to be on the same page!

Raider Nation 4 Life!

71. thefox61 says: Oct 7, 2013 3:49 PM

Looks like Seattle and Matt Flynn are the big winners here.
    ———
    I don’t know what that conditional pick will be now, if anything, but Seattle put even more money in Flynn’s pocket that Oakland did. They more or less paid 8M for a couple of late round picks. Oakland paid 6.5M for one loss, and no compensation. Oakland got the worst of it, but Seattle isn’t a big winner.

72. Reggie McKenzie = biggest GM bust ever.

He’s overrated!!!

The Media is stupid needs to get over the fact that Al Davis was actually good at what he did during his last 2 years.

73. I see teams cut higher draft picks all the time, and there is none of the nerdish handwringing you try to summon whenever it is a Raider story.

Get over your phobia mediot.

74. This is akin to calling someone you are dating and telling her you have found “The one”, no more booty calls.

The big story here is that not since Rich Gannon was wearing the best uni in the league have the Raiders had a QB.

Misc: Tyler Wilson is still on the team as practice squad, the Raiders traded one draft pick for Flynn (Sorry gloaty SEA guy) since the second one was conditional and is now out the window with Flynn.

Media needs to get over their boner for the Raiders. All teams cut draft choices they thought would work out.

75. Reggie McKenzie is a genius.

Signed , 49er fans

PS

Terrell will suck in time and you will be hating on him in a few weeks.

Back o the Denver game in Invesco. Pryor scored 14 points and Flynn scored 7. Wow!

The Chargers will win 4 games this season and they are pathetic.

We have CK who supreme, and a new luxury venue next season, enjoy your tarps and shame of hiding your lack of attendance and the sewage that comes out onto your stadium.

The sewage is a symbol.

76. And the annual implosion of the Chokeland raiders continues. Classic!!

How many decades now has this team sucked??

Dooooorrrrrrmat of the NFL!!!!

77. You guys bagging on Reggie need to think both ways.

I mean you can whiff in drafts. It happens. You can also whiff in trades and free agents. You can also get Kevin Burnett for 2 years/ $5M with a $1.6M cap hit in 2013. That happens too.

78. JSpicoli:
    Thank you for letting me know that I was not the only one who knew Wilson is on the practice squad. They are paying him way less than a 4th rounder.

79. heehungweilo says:Oct 7, 2013 5:56 PM

Pryor is the truth

Al Davis was right regarding Pryor, the old man was right after all.

RAIDER NATION !

—————————————————-

lol

typical raider fan. they think they have the truth QB. let me guess, you guys are going to win the SB now??

And how can it be raider nation when you are in BRONCOS COUNTRY!!??

80. Raider nation should be relieved. If Matt Millen would have just admited his mistakes and moved on rather than trying to prove he was right maybe the decade of despair would not have happened. Reggie
    McKenzie should be congratulated, roll the dice, come up snake eyes, forget it and move on.

81. joemadman says:
    Oct 7, 2013 3:07 PM
    Flynn will do just fine bagging groceries

Are people really this stupid? Flynn is a multimillionaire

My guess is joemadman DOES bag groceries