Steve Smith tired of “garbage” refs, getting “leg-humped”

Tyrann Mathieu, Steve Smith AP

Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith took responsibility for his own drops, but had plenty of blame to spread around.

Smith said Monday that the Caridnals’ coverage moved from physical to “molesting,” and took shots at umpire Dan Ferrell, calling him “garbage.”

“I got a [pass interference] penalty, which is very interesting. I got leg-humped and hugged a few times,” Smith said, via Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer. “Being a pretty good flag football player, I think I got my flag pulled on my jersey a few times. . . .

“I was told by the referee — whatever judge he was, No. 64. He told me on my route [that] I felt like I got held, where [Patrick Peterson] had the back of my jersey and used that to slingshot his way through and bat the ball down. He said he grabbed my jersey, he saw it, but he didn’t think it was enough that changed the course of the route.

“I’ve only been playing football for a little bit, just picked it up. So I said OK. I really believe years past I would’ve went off. But that’s what he felt and that’s what he said and he repeatedly explained it to me.”

Smith, who has enough self-awareness to make a joke about the time he broke his arm playing flag football in the offseason, knows full well that his comments might not sit well with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

“To be honest, I make enough money where if Roger wants to fine me he can,” Smith said. “But I really think that referee probably was the sorriest referee that I have ever met.

“When I dove for the first down [and] he was standing right there, he didn’t even acknowledge — he received a check that day and I hope he feels good. He was terrible. He was garbage.”

Of course, the same could be said of the game Ferrell was calling, which Smith had a hand and a leg in as well.

Permalink 71 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
71 Responses to “Steve Smith tired of “garbage” refs, getting “leg-humped””
  1. idonthavethebloodyoucrave says: Oct 7, 2013 5:36 PM

God Bless Unions!!!

2. kylexitron says: Oct 7, 2013 5:36 PM

He’s also tired of getting “old”. Don’t worry Steve – your act is getting “old” for us, too.

3. bucrightoff says: Oct 7, 2013 5:37 PM

Is he tired of his mediocre QB yet?

4. thepftpoet says: Oct 7, 2013 5:39 PM

The whole Green Bay Packer’s team knows a lot about “leg humping”

5. roxtar10 says: Oct 7, 2013 5:39 PM

This will be a costly statement, but no less correct.
    No love for the Panthers at all, but there was some real shoddy reffing in this game.

6. chaseutley says: Oct 7, 2013 5:39 PM

Leg-humper:
    I think Steve Smith just inadvertently stumbled upon the best nickname ever for himself. ;)

7. pem34 says: Oct 7, 2013 5:40 PM

Yes Cam Newton is terrible – trade him to the Bengals for Dalton immediately!

signed /every Bengals fan and AJ Green

8. rodh32340 says: Oct 7, 2013 5:41 PM

His check ain’t nothing like your check Stevie!

9. jaughe71 says: Oct 7, 2013 5:42 PM

Was he worried the ball was going-to hump his leg on that TD he dropped? There wasn’t a defender within 3 yards of him on that play.

10. swaggyy says: Oct 7, 2013 5:43 PM

Steve its your fault you have stayed in Carolina this long. Stop complaining about things

11. theuglitruth says: Oct 7, 2013 5:46 PM

You lost a step Steve…it happens when you get older. Stop being a crybaby, take it like a man, focus on your next game.

12. blacknole08 says: Oct 7, 2013 5:47 PM

As a Panthers fan, I’m tired of losing. And when we lose we don’t get those calls that other teams get. That’s a fact.

13. onebucplace says: Oct 7, 2013 5:47 PM

Why why why does Mike Shula have a job in the NFL. I mean he nearly got Dungy fired in Tampa he was so bad. So what he was in Indy as OC – have you seen Denver? Apparently he was even holding back Manning there.

If you want the offense to improve (and as a Bucs fan I do not want you to improve) fire Mike Shula.

14. nfloracle says: Oct 7, 2013 5:49 PM

I like the old aggressive Smith a lot more than the new whiny, cry me a river, the ref is garbage Smith.

Talk on the field and back it up with some wins and non-sloppy play… you and Cam both stunk up the joint on Sunday so work on improving more and yapping and complaining and excusing less.

15. chawk12thman says: Oct 7, 2013 5:52 PM

The refs need to have a published power ranking system. Some of them seem to make mistakes more than others’. It would help all of us out to know that on any given game the type/ranking of the ref crew that was assigned. Might help the frustration level, if nothing else.

16. theuglitruth says: Oct 7, 2013 5:52 PM

The “fact” is…if you give up 7 sacks in a single game your probably going to lose….cry me a river Panthers fans. You got beat up & down the field that day on offense, defense, & special teams. Don’t put the effort into blaming a single ref.

17. txraiderfan says: Oct 7, 2013 5:54 PM

Be prepared to face the wrath of Roger “God”ell, Steve.

18. losangeleslions says: Oct 7, 2013 5:54 PM

Welcome to the club Steve.

Signed
    – The Detroit Lions and all us fans

19. buckyhamm says: Oct 7, 2013 5:57 PM

Refs are killing the game for me, I used to be a die hard fan of the game but now I’m finding other activities to do on Sunday.

Remember when people complained about the replacement refs? I always thought to myself were these people new fans because the regular ref blow just as many calls as the replacements.

20. justintuckrule says: Oct 7, 2013 6:01 PM

If you’re going to get yourself fined for trashing the refs you need to come stronger than calling them “garbage”.

21. wearethe0and4steelers says: Oct 7, 2013 6:07 PM

Steve Smith is a joke. Who’s fault is now that you guys stink, Chuds gone and doing quite well.

22. dark13rider says: Oct 7, 2013 6:08 PM

Let me tune up the violin for you, Steve…we’ll call this one The Whining Loser in C Minor…

23. prosportswashington says: Oct 7, 2013 6:11 PM

I don’t see why almost every ref seems to be 40+, surely you need a younger set of eyes ears and legs to know whats going on?

24. nfl4days says: Oct 7, 2013 6:11 PM

The Bengals with Cam would be on a whole new level.

25. peytonsneck18 says: Oct 7, 2013 6:13 PM

the panthers? are they in the CFL?

26. themagicfanguy says: Oct 7, 2013 6:14 PM

The winners in all of this? The Packers.

Steve smith story, yet we still have a dedicated troll on the comments here lmao.

27. rufusporter says: Oct 7, 2013 6:14 PM

Wish the NFL had better trained, better payed, more accountable referees. A lot of discrepency in what is being called week to week. Tons of PI calls in the Seahawks/Colts game and the refs got almost none of them right.

28. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 7, 2013 6:14 PM

I hope he doesn’t care enough to comment openly and honestly about what he thinks about the fine that is coming. And then go for the big three-peat.

29. crisper57 says: Oct 7, 2013 6:17 PM

Meh. He just got worked by the best CB in the league. It happens.

30. vikingapologist says: Oct 7, 2013 6:17 PM

Cam is horrible

31. pnut87 says: Oct 7, 2013 6:21 PM

So are the refs on some kind of strike? The replacement refs were better last year than what I’ve seen for most of this year…

32. crapboys says: Oct 7, 2013 6:23 PM

Suggs is the ugliest creature in the nfl and wears purple.

33. thesconnienation says: Oct 7, 2013 6:24 PM

thepftpoet says:
    Oct 7, 2013 5:39 PM
    The whole Green Bay Packer’s team knows a lot about “leg humping”

——————————

You hate the Packers so much that you have to talk smack on a story that’s not even about them.

Too funny little lady.

34. jason9696 says: Oct 7, 2013 6:27 PM

I didn’t realize Steve Smith was still playing in the NFL.

35. russrpm says: Oct 7, 2013 6:31 PM

This is an ongoing problem in nearly every game I have watched over the last few years. There is no way to know what will be called as pass interfence from game to game, or even quarter to quarter in the same game. I really don’t care how they call it, as long as it is called consistently. It’s almost as bad as holding, where it seems that the ref holds the flag until he sees if there is a long gain before he throws it.

36. jbeagles23 says: Oct 7, 2013 6:32 PM

Bad reffing is becoming the only consistent in the nfl. The same official will make two seperate calls on the same play. And how in the world can a ref throw a flag then say there was no penalty? He seen something to throw the flag

37. geefan1 says: Oct 7, 2013 6:33 PM

Gee, Steve, I thought last week is Chud’s fault. Who are you going to blame next week?

38. dirtysouthniner says: Oct 7, 2013 6:38 PM

I realize in american sport’s, its impossible to have a relagated system for teams but it would be awesome for refs!! Worst 5 crews go back to college and the best 5 from college come to the nfl every year

39. tmb333 says: Oct 7, 2013 6:48 PM

The officiating is horrendous. Terrible PI calls and no PI calls. They can’t spot the ball. Ref in Indy Seattle game missed a critical spot by 1.5 yds. It was reviewed and overturned but hell I can get them that close.

In the Dallas Denver game, the announcers comment how great Dallas’ coverage was on a late 3rd and 6 that forced and incomplete pass. They then show the replay from behind the Denver OL and you can clearly see Welker and Thomas being held by the jersey.

Every game has so many missed holding calls at the point of attack that they should never call it.

40. doe22us says: Oct 7, 2013 6:48 PM

P.I is know a joke, just brush by the receiver and a flag is thrown regardless even if it’s a feather touch, the w.o flails their hand in the air 9 out 10 the flag is coming out, it’s kinda like soccer nowadays over dramatization and I play soccer smdh.

41. sweetnlow44 says: Oct 7, 2013 6:49 PM

Can’t stand Steve Smith and his celebrations after a 4 yard reception on 3rd and 6, but he’s right. The refs have been beyond horrible this year. Way worse than the replacement refs last year. Consistently bad yet still have jobs the following Sunday. Seems like there’s no accountability for refs. Also glad that he came out and said the fines mean absolutely nothing to him. Hopefully Goodell heard that and starts suspending players more.

42. harrisonhits2 says: Oct 7, 2013 6:51 PM

Better watch out in the Panther’s locker room, he could well sucker punch a teammate again to take out his anger on the ref

Smith has been a whining punk for years.

43. tom3565 says: Oct 7, 2013 6:55 PM

Hey Rufusport you ever been out on the field and had to officiate or only from the couch?

44. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 7, 2013 7:09 PM

Tried to tell the Panthers fans who are crowing about being a team 38-0, a team that has no business even being in the NFL, as if it were an accomplishment. The Panthers still STINK.

45. rsh1023 says: Oct 7, 2013 7:13 PM

the Panthers need to stop crying and blaming everyone else for their crappy play…first it was “Chudzinski had us lose on purpose to further his own career as a head coach”….now its “im getting interfered with”

memo to Carolina …ALL RECEIVERS THINK THEY GET HELD, ON EVERY PLAY

#getbetter

46. kwjsb says: Oct 7, 2013 7:15 PM

Steve Smith is an Idiot, but he is right, Petterson was all over him, and on the O.P.I. the contact was so slight and initiated by Petterson.

47. keylimelight says: Oct 7, 2013 7:32 PM

russrpm says: Oct 7, 2013 6:31 PM
    ” It’s almost as bad as holding, where it seems that the ref holds the flag until he sees if there is a long gain before he throws it.”

This. This is what I see on a regular basis, not just the pros but college ball too. It is an obvious move the refs make that suggests they are willing to affect the outcome of the game. Not good. Not good at all for the sport of football.

48. dobberdubinsky says: Oct 7, 2013 7:33 PM

If you think that Patrick Paterson is the best CB in the NFL, you are absolutely clueless. The only reason he had success against Smith is because of his size. Any big elite WR will have career days against Peterson pretty much every time. The most over-rated CB in the league, bar none.

49. howiehandles says: Oct 7, 2013 7:39 PM

“The Bengals with Cam would be on a whole new level.”

Cam is part of the problem, and isn’t absolved of blame.

50. donmcg2012 says: Oct 7, 2013 7:40 PM

He’s got a point, refs do seem hog tied and confused lately. No consistency at all.

51. justintuckrule says: Oct 7, 2013 7:40 PM

crapboys says:
    Oct 7, 2013 6:23 PM
    Suggs is the ugliest creature in the nfl and wears purple.
    ————-
    Big man with little jacked up teeth is not a good look.

52. 87hollywoodhorn says: Oct 7, 2013 7:42 PM

dude as a saints fan i really hate smith for talking trash to our teams and going off on our team when they beat us.
    but whens hes gone i am really gonna miss him, he reminds me of the days of joe horn t.o. and chad johnson. he was like part of a clique of big personality recievers who backed it up on the field.
    todays players dont have the same kinda personality, or at least you dont see it. you for sure see their arrest records nowadays though…smh

53. cguy7 says: Oct 7, 2013 7:56 PM

Steve, please quit blaming other people because you are no longer an above average football player. Quit blaming ex- coaches, refs, teammates, and return to your flag football team – where you dominate. Quit stealing money from the Richardson family and Panther fans. By the way your QB doesn’t throw the ball well. (yes, that is important)

54. jwired21 says: Oct 7, 2013 7:58 PM

So let me get this straight. First it was his old offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski, that was holding him and the offense back. And now its the refs? Steve Smith will keep losing until he blames the real problem, himself.

55. JSpicoli says: Oct 7, 2013 8:01 PM

The ref does not know the law of the land.

Pound for pound the best football player in the league and he is not bad at sarcasm too.

56. bradwins says: Oct 7, 2013 8:02 PM

Awesome. I wish more players would speak out about terrible refereeing. I don’t believe refs should be protected by the league office. If you suck, people should be able to say you suck.

57. mrfrostyj says: Oct 7, 2013 8:17 PM

Everyone knows Rob Chudzinski is paying off the officials so he can be head of officiating next season.

58. slugbaitspace says: Oct 7, 2013 8:20 PM

Perhaps the official simply felt weird about the idea of throwing a pink flag for a leg-humping penalty…

59. melikefootball says: Oct 7, 2013 8:26 PM

So much for all those anger management classes.

60. getweird4u says: Oct 7, 2013 8:34 PM

Really in this day and age where receivers are treated like glass objects you are crying??? This guy is way past his prime

61. dark13rider says: Oct 7, 2013 9:03 PM

Steve faces the Panthers every day in practice, so you can’t blame him for not knowing what it’s like to play against a real defense…

62. rohinaz says: Oct 7, 2013 9:12 PM

hes just mad he got shut down by the top CB in the league. Peterson shut down vincent jackson the week before. Take it like a man smith, you got beat.

63. timsizzle83 says: Oct 7, 2013 9:32 PM

Peterson isn’t close to being the top cb in the league(see Richard Sherman), yeah suggs is ugly but his game is sooo pretty your momma would love it and steve smith hasn’t lost a step, he just stayed in carolina way too long for only god knows why. Cards fans shouldn’t worry too much though, they definitely won’t win more than 8 games, not with Palmer at qb. Trust in that I’ve seen just about every game he’s played in the league and as any afc north veteran viewer can tell you he’s 3/4 a Tony Romo(without all the tds and yardage), he will find a way to lose unless there just isn’t one.

64. bert1913 says: Oct 7, 2013 9:38 PM

i would love to see the refs signal for leg humping.

it’s gonna be a sad day when smith offers to take less pay to stay with the panthers and the panthers say thanks but no thanks (hines ward)

65. crisper57 says: Oct 7, 2013 9:51 PM

Peterson overrated? Clearly you are the clueless one.

66. theroc5156 says: Oct 7, 2013 10:06 PM

pem34 says: Oct 7, 2013 5:40 PM

Yes Cam Newton is terrible – trade him to the Bengals for Dalton immediately!

signed /every Bengals fan and AJ Green

_________________________________

Add Steve Smith and we will throw in Jermaine Gresham.

67. delhommed says: Oct 7, 2013 10:15 PM

the refs consistently gave the cards the home field calls yesterday… Steve is definitely right. There were almost as many bad calls by the refs as dropped balls by panthers receivers!

68. pftmz says: Oct 7, 2013 10:44 PM

Why is everyone addressing Steve Smith? You guys are weird, this isn’t twitter.

69. edisbetterthantroy says: Oct 7, 2013 10:55 PM

It’s an abomination that Carolina and Jacksonville got an expansion team before Baltimore. I’ve traveled to both stadiums for Ravens road games and it was all purple each time. I get it how people outside of Maryland don’t like the Ravens, but those two franchises are nothing more than a punch line to a bad joke. Say what you will, but respect for the Ravens is deserved.

BaltimoreisbetterthanCharlotteandJacksonville

70. pilot2011 says: Oct 7, 2013 11:23 PM

Baltimore better than Charlotte? lol who are you trying to convince dude? Charlotte is one of the fastest growing cities in America. You see so many other teams’ fans at Panthers games because they live in Charlotte.

They are either transferred their for their job, or there because its just a nice, pretty city. We call the latter, “Half-Backs”… Originally from up North, so they move to Florida; realizes Florida sucks, so they move half way back, which happens to be Charlotte, NC.

71. jgedgar70 says: Oct 8, 2013 8:49 AM

Steve Smith haters, you are reacting to only part of the interview. Smith fully acknowledged that the missed TD was because he dropped it, and he thinks that cost us the game. It didn’t, of course, beause even if we were up 21-3 at halftime we still would have lost because Arizona made halftime adjustments, and the Panthers have never made a halftime adjustment in their 19-year history.

Smith is still a good player and I hope he plays until he’s 50. Then he can go on to his second career as a stand-up comedian. Leg humping? Hilarious! Almost as funny as his response in training camp when asked if he has a sense of urgency to get a ring now that he’s 35, and he said (paraphrasing), “yeah, if I was a 35-year old woman, I’d be doing every man I could find to try to get married.” Some of his end zone celebrations were unique and clever, like doing the snow angel in 500-degree heat in Miami. And he hasn’t punched a teammate in FIVE YEARS!!!!!!! (And he should have punched Armond Smith after getting 2 illegal touching penalties in a row on punts in the Seattle game.)

I, for one, am glad Smith has played his entire career here in Carolina.