Terrelle Pryor shrugs off Freeman talk, takes a step

San Diego Chargers v Oakland Raiders Getty Images

It would have been hard to miss the chatter connecting quarterback Josh Freeman with the Raiders.

But if it bothered Raiders quarterback Terrelle Pryor, he didn’t make a show of it, as he led the Raiders to a 27-17 this morning.

Pryor showed progress to get his second win of the year, as he didn’t give the ball away, and put a 135.7 rating on the board. He completed his first 10 passes for 115 yards and two touchdowns, helping the Raiders build a lead they’d be able to hang onto late. And while he made a few plays on his own, it’s the lack of negative plays that give him a chance to keep the job.

“Terrelle brings that ability when things aren’t right, when things break down, he brings the ability to go and make the play,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said. “I thought he made some outstanding plays in the game being able to get out of the pocket and still be able to get the ball down the field. So I was pleased with the way that Terrelle played. I thought he started the game out about as good as you can start out. I thought he threw the ball well. He got us in and out of the huddle, got us in the right plays. He did a nice job.”

Which is a nice way of telling him, “Hey, never mind that we were trying to sign that other guy. We like you.”

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Terrelle Pryor shrugs off Freeman talk, takes a step”
  1. bucrightoff says: Oct 7, 2013 8:30 AM

Never made sense why the Raiders would dump Pryor for Freeman when Pryor is by far the better player at the moment and has the higher ceiling in the future.

2. themediaisdumberthandirt says: Oct 7, 2013 8:32 AM

Interesting to think where the Raiders would be today if they would have never made that ridiculous trade for Palmer and started Pryor. On a side note, it’s time to cut or trade Matt Flynn. Even if Pryor gets hurt, FLynn is horrible. Even if you can get a 6th round pick for him it would be worth it. Great win by the Raiders!!

3. raiderufan says: Oct 7, 2013 8:32 AM

I think Matt McGloin and Matt Flynn also had as much to do with the chatter as any desire to create competition for Pryor.

Going into KC and stealing one would be fantastic! 3-3 into the bye with Pitt, Philly, NYG and Houston coming up….not sayin, just sayin.

4. raiderla says: Oct 7, 2013 8:34 AM

We didn’t need freeman from jump street I don’t think he would have been anything more but a back up to Pryor . Keep grinding TP2 you give the raider nation hope every Sunday I’m pleased with the way u move the ball and playing way more smarter like I said keep grinding..

5. joetoronto says: Oct 7, 2013 8:34 AM

Pryor is what Scam Newton was supposed to be.

Isn’t that right, Darin?

6. nomoreseasontix says: Oct 7, 2013 8:52 AM

As a Raider fan, I really like the kid. He’s growing on me as a quarterback. He’s doing way better than I thought he would.
    But, before I get too excited about it, I remind myself that Tebow once passed for 300 yds and won a playoff game.
    Incremental improvement will be enough. I expected nothing out of this season anyway.

7. psj3809 says: Oct 7, 2013 9:12 AM

Early early days yet but its finally exciting to be a Raider fan. Pryor gives the fans hope, hes still raw but hes got a great attitude and just wants to keep improving.

Even better when you know Pryor was Al’s last draft pick. Pryor has never moaned when they brought in Flynn, never moaned even when he was playing better in preseason and Flynn was still apparently the starter.

Really hope this player succeeds, hes like the ultimate anti-JaMarcus. Great attitude, keeps himself in great shape, teammates love him, fans love him. He’ll no doubt have the odd bad game or two this year as hes still really learning, but theres great potential here

8. realfootballfan says: Oct 7, 2013 9:16 AM

Best option for the Raiders and the dumb coaches and GM don’t even realize. Love Pryor’s game and attitude.

You saw what they are without him last week. Washington even spotted them a couple of Td’s and it still wasn’t even close the rest of the game. Night and day without Pryor. And he’s far better than Freeman right now in his career.

9. ctiggs says: Oct 7, 2013 9:16 AM

Big Buckeye fan here, and ive been saying it for years Pryor is better than Cam.

10. spankygreen says: Oct 7, 2013 9:46 AM

ctiggs says:Oct 7, 2013 9:16 AM

Is that the only player you can come up with?…let me help you.

Schuab, ponder, Palmer, weeden, Flynn (proven),
    stafford, Gabbert, Henne, Manning (Eli), and of course TTEBOW!!!!!!

11. Grinds My Gear says: Oct 7, 2013 9:52 AM

Pryor did well, he came out on fire. My biggest concern is the play calling in the 2nd half. It wasn’t until the final two drives that the offense regained some momentum and sustained a drive. In retrospect this game wasn’t close, Raiders dominated with the score up 24-3. Reason Chargers scored was due to a soft zone coverage, but they were killing 4-5mins a drive.

12. CKL says: Oct 7, 2013 10:25 AM

I really enjoy watching Pryor play and it’s easy to root for him to succeed with the great attitude he has.

To the person who lamented the Palmer trade, perhaps Pryor simply wasn’t ready yet to start. I’m old school so I wish more teams would actually develop their young QBs for a year or two before they throw them out there to play.

13. torturedraiderfan says: Oct 7, 2013 10:45 AM

……maybe the Raiders wanted to sign Feeman as a backup to Pryor, which is what most of the intelligent football writers were speculating. Pay attention and maybe you can sound intelligent….maybe.

14. ttommytom says: Oct 7, 2013 10:46 AM

I’m a football fan not a Raider fan per se and I love watching this guy play. Great athlete.

If he keeps working hard he will succeed.

15. jruss1331 says: Oct 7, 2013 11:12 AM

I liked it when the Raiders traded for Palmer, although I thought they gave up too much to get him. He gave the Raiders the best chance to win at the time. The same could be said for last season. Pryor was not ready to start as a rookie and his time spent learning as Palmer’s backup is starting to pay off. The Raiders dump Flynn and should sign David Carr to be a backup and mentor for Pryor. He earned 2 rings as a backup to Eli Manning and he has a lot of starts under his belt.

16. frankiemontana says: Oct 7, 2013 11:38 AM

was it just me or did anyone else hear Ian Eagle just keep saying over and over how the raiders blew a 14 point lead against the redskins, and last time san diego was shut out in the 1st half was back in 2008 against the raiders and san diego came back to win the game.. talk about haters hating..

17. raidernation37 says: Oct 7, 2013 11:39 AM

jruss1331 says: Oct 7, 2013 11:12 AM

If “Corky” Manning keeps playing the way he is Carr might be starting before long.

Solid win for our boys against what the talking heads call a decent team. On to KC.
    Go Raiders!!!!!

18. footballchic777 says: Oct 7, 2013 12:35 PM

I was really impressed with Pryor. I am a Buckeye fan, and have seen immense growth in him. They took many shots of his face throughout the night, and you didn’t see a panicked look there once. This kid continues to improve, grow in confidence, and in talent. He is reading progressions and not taking off before surveying everything, and then when he has to make something happen, he does . It is fun to watch his growth without an ego. Keep it up TP!

19. raiderapologist says: Oct 7, 2013 1:23 PM

————-
    Or it could just be an attempt to improve the roster. Flynn is still on the depth chart.

20. bigbamboom1 says: Oct 7, 2013 2:20 PM

“I heard some of it, and at the end of the day I really can’t control what I can’t control,” Pryor said, via Scott Bair of CSNBayArea.com. “Whatever happens happens. I’ll still come to work. No one’s going to work harder than me. I try not to focus on things I can’t control. That’s it on that one.”

As long as the talented kid (Pryor) thinks like this and continue to grow and improve as a playmaking QB. Oakland is in good hands. And has a bright future. The Raiders stole this guy. He would have easily been a first rounder in the 2012 Draft, if allowed to play at OSU in 2011. Good, mature young man, making the most of his opportunity. The Raiders will be a team to be reckoned with the future with this guy at the throttle. A perfect fit!

21. souldogdave says: Oct 7, 2013 2:29 PM

The young man has earned my respect, and is starting to get some around the league. Hey FrankieMontana, that guy supremely irritated me and my friends, the commentator must be from LA lol, never heard of his loser az anyway. Darin, any interest in Freeman would be as a back-up, cauz Flynn is out, I mean it doesn’t matter how much we have to pay him, he won’t start for the Raiders again.

22. midtec2005 says: Oct 7, 2013 4:15 PM

Where’s Todd Mcshay now?? A lot of people knew TP was talented. Some of the draft “experts” need to get a new job. Go back and watch him dismantle Oregon in the Rose Bowl.