USC put out feelers to Tony Dungy, who’s not interested

Indianapolis Colts v Cleveland Browns Getty Images

Tony Dungy says USC can cross his name off its coaching search list.

Dungy, the former Buccaneers and Colts head coach, said on the Dan Patrick Show that USC put out feelers to see if he would have any interest in filling their coaching vacancy after the Trojans fired Lane Kiffin.

“Representatives of the organization have called — your people called my people, just to see if you’re interested,” Dungy said.

Asked what his answer was, Dungy was blunt: “Not interested.”

Dungy said he loved his time as the head coach of the Colts, but he knew when it was time to walk away from coaching, and he’s not looking to get back into it.

“I had the best job in football working for Jim Irsay and coaching Peyton Manning, and there was a time when I was just done,” Dungy said.

Dungy also said that even if he were looking to get back into coaching, he doesn’t think he’d be the right person for the USC job because he doesn’t have any college coaching experience, and the closest he has been to a college program is watching his son play at Oregon.

“I don’t know anything about college football, other than seeing it through my son’s eyes,” he said. “They need to get a great college coach, in my opinion.”

Dungy mentioned Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin, Boise State coach Chris Petersen and Colts (and former Stanford) offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton as coaches he believes USC should consider. (Dungy added that he doesn’t know if those coaches are interested, and he said Sumlin in particular might not view USC as a better job than the one he has now.)

The mere fact that USC expressed some interest in Dungy, however, suggests that the Trojans may want to hire someone with an NFL background, just as they did when they hired Kiffin, Pete Carroll before that and Paul Hackett before that. It wouldn’t be at all surprising to see USC hire from the professional ranks. But Dungy won’t be their man.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
35 Responses to “USC put out feelers to Tony Dungy, who’s not interested”
  1. Paul says: Oct 7, 2013 12:06 PM

The moment Kiffin was canned, I said USC should call Lovie Smith. Nobody in the PAC-12 appreciates defense, though.

2. dannyreneau says: Oct 7, 2013 12:09 PM

I like Dungy, i really do, but I could have coached Manning during that period of his career and the results would have been pretty close to the same. Again, nothing against Dungy, but he hit the coaching lotto when he got that job in Indy. And i think he knows it too.

3. jasons81 says: Oct 7, 2013 12:10 PM

They want a coach that is used to coaching paid professional players since that’s what he would be doing at USC

4. jgedgar70 says: Oct 7, 2013 12:10 PM

Stay away from Sumlin. I want him coaching the Carolina Panthers.

5. worst2first99 says: Oct 7, 2013 12:11 PM

Come back to Tampa, Tony

6. kenyonsupertramp says: Oct 7, 2013 12:11 PM

Ron Rivera on the line.

7. jiveturkeygobbler says: Oct 7, 2013 12:16 PM

The obvious choice is me.

8. 2ruefan says: Oct 7, 2013 12:18 PM

**************************

Methinks you GREATLY discount the work he did in Tampa, which I think is more significant to be honest. He helped turn around a losing culture (decades long) build community support, and built up a very talented base/squad the Chucky came in and “Hit the lotto” with IMHO.

9. silverandblackfan77 says: Oct 7, 2013 12:19 PM

Pep Hamilton would be a great choice

10. citizenstrange says: Oct 7, 2013 12:21 PM

Is there any way possible USC can hire Tomlin away from the Steelers? Just imagine the hell he would unleash in the PAC-12 on blades of grass in stadiums in the fall!

11. cbrown386 says: Oct 7, 2013 12:28 PM

Dungy did an excellent job in Indy, he changed the culture. Peyton ran the offense and did his thing, but it was the Colts’ defense that won them a Superbowl.

Tony now has one of the best jobs in America, he’s not going to give that away for anything. He deserves to relax and spend time with his family, not working to rebuild a high-pressure college atmosphere.

12. dalcow4 says: Oct 7, 2013 12:29 PM

If I’m USC fan, this worries me. They need to go after a college coach who is an offensive innovator, leader and recruiter.

But hey– I like watching USC lose so if this is the road they are going down….

13. tfbuckfutter says: Oct 7, 2013 12:31 PM

2ruefan says: Oct 7, 2013 12:18 PM

**************************

———————————-

This is accurate with regards to Tony, but don’t discount Gruden’s influence so willingly…..he took Dungy’s excellent defense and actually focused on developing the OFFENSE, which Dungy stubbornly refused to do during his entire tenure (even though it’s debatable if the team was markedly better between 2001 and 2002 on offense, the fact that Dungy didn’t even both acquiring a legitimate NFL WR until 2000 or a real QB until 2001 is very telling) .

The only reason he was able to win in Indy is because the offense was already in place, and he didn’t have to do anything with it.

14. antalicus says: Oct 7, 2013 12:36 PM

You realize that Texas A&M donations quadrupled in the last year and are near the billion dollar mark. They have the money to pay Sumlin to stay.

15. dolphins4 says: Oct 7, 2013 12:42 PM

Phillip Fulmer would be a great hire at USC. He did a great job at Tennessee.

16. chefbob52355 says: Oct 7, 2013 12:45 PM

Pep Hamilton would be a great choice

***********************************

Pease don’t go there. Don’t want to loose Pep.
    But you are right!

17. fmlizard says: Oct 7, 2013 12:47 PM

I would call Art Briles. Look what he did at Baylor and Houston – imagine what he could do with a wide open bunch of SoCal speedsters that he could get to USC.

Otherwise they will all go north to Oregon and wind up whipping USC.

18. thesmedman says: Oct 7, 2013 12:55 PM

I said the same thing about Lovie Smith. Good couch and fine human being, to boot.

But he’s a Texan, and there might be an opening in the Lone Star State soon…

19. spicymudbugs says: Oct 7, 2013 12:56 PM

What’s so great about Dungy that he gets calls about every vacant coaching position?
    Anybody would look good as a head coach of a Peyton Manning team. Just look at John Fox

20. thesmedman says: Oct 7, 2013 12:56 PM

*coach (of course)

21. tsizzlesucks says: Oct 7, 2013 12:57 PM

You want a pro(?) coach then just wait a little
    while and you can have your choice of Schiano or Jason Garrett to name a few. Garrett can go back to calling his own plays rather than having Jerry do it thru Callahan. He can even shop for his own groceries and not have a complete idiot for a GM. And the Rutgers guy can go back to where he belongs.

22. handsatlanta says: Oct 7, 2013 1:07 PM

Mike Sherman was the head coach of Texas A&M and is now the offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins. USC should hire him.

PLEASE hire him. PLEASE.

23. tlow97 says: Oct 7, 2013 1:19 PM

Toes on the line!!!!!!!!!!

24. nobby821 says: Oct 7, 2013 1:47 PM

Tell me this wouldnt be money.

Head Coach: Dungy

OC: Gruden

DC: Kiffen

25. graphicwolfart says: Oct 7, 2013 1:48 PM

Wow…Im almost starting to feel sorry for USC

26. mydroopysack says: Oct 7, 2013 1:53 PM

tfbuckfutter says:
    Oct 7, 2013 12:31 PM
    2ruefan says: Oct 7, 2013 12:18 PM

**************************

—————————————-

Methinks you GREATLY discount the work Chucky did in Oakland where he built up a very talented base/squad for Bill Callahan to come in and “hit the lotto” with though falling 2nd place to Chucky’s Bucs in the Super Bowl.

27. jc327 says: Oct 7, 2013 2:00 PM

But he’s a Texan, and there might be an opening in the Lone Star State soon…

—————————————

Lovie Smith is actually from Columbus, MS. My hometown.

28. jc327 says: Oct 7, 2013 2:02 PM

My bad, I was thinking about Leslie Frazier. Sorry bout that…

29. mydoglouie says: Oct 7, 2013 2:18 PM

What is the point to contacting this guy. Dungy comes across as a sincere guy and when he says he is retired, has already turned down countless other opportunities.

Leave the man a lone. He is not motivated by money, so stop bothering a guy that is the only one that seems to know that he has moved on.

30. gogatorsjohn says: Oct 7, 2013 2:18 PM

Please take Coach Schiano from the Bucs-he has both college and NFL experience lol. And I would love for Dungy to be in some way part of the Bucs organization.

31. gogatorsjohn says: Oct 7, 2013 2:21 PM

Dungy with Rich McKay drafted future Hall of Famers: Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, honorable mention Ronde Barber, John Lynch. Yeah, I would say he is a good evaluator of talent and can coach them up…

32. therealhardt says: Oct 7, 2013 2:42 PM

Paul says:
    Oct 7, 2013 12:06 PM

Jim Mora Jr disagrees….

33. therealhardt says: Oct 7, 2013 2:48 PM

Jim Mora Jr disagrees….

Todd graham too…

34. telldatruth says: Oct 7, 2013 2:52 PM

I hope TD would end up in Detroit. You would make the fans in Michigan proud, Tony!

35. wearethesteelers says: Oct 7, 2013 3:32 PM

jc327 says:
    Oct 7, 2013 2:02 PM
    My bad, I was thinking about Leslie Frazier. Sorry bout that…
    ___________________________