David Wilson won’t play this week against Bears

Getty Images

The combination of a short week and a neck injury made it unlikely that David Wilson was going to be back for the Giants next game.

It’s now official, as Giants coach Tom Coughlin told reporters Wilson would not play Thursday against the Bears.

They brought back Da’Rel Scott for short-term cover, and he’ll join Brandon Jacobs and Michael Cox in a makeshift backfield, running behind a makeshift line, in what is rapidly becoming a makeshift season for the 0-5 Giants.

38 responses to “David Wilson won’t play this week against Bears

1. As a Bears fan, I have a good feeling about this week. Should be a nice scrimmage to get our team back in shape for the next time we play a real NFL team.

2. That’s okay. As a fan, I can tell you the Bears have nothing for a defensive line, so I’m pretty sure you could plug in Brandon Jacobs with one leg and he will run all over them.

It’s going to be a battle of who can score the most against garbage defenses.

3. I’d feel bad for the giants if every fan I knew wasn’t a bandwagon riding jabroni. They’re 0-5 and my timeline is full of them spewing hate at Romo.

4. The Giants don’t need Clowney, they already have a clown and he does backflips after he scores. I’m a Giants fan, but I really want this idiot to tear an ACL doing a backflip so he can learn his lesson. Better for it to happen this season than in one where the Giants are actually good.

5. As a Bears fan this game has me nervous. New York is not bad enough to be 0-6. The Defensive Line problems scare me. This game all depends on how the Offense starts the game.

6. romoscollarbone says:
    Oct 8, 2013 2:30 PM

———————

I almost spit out my food laughing at that sentence. Giants are a train wreck this year and their fans are stilling shoveling out the hate…..thats incredible.

7. kscogg says:
    Oct 8, 2013 2:37 PM
    romoscollarbone says:
    Oct 8, 2013 2:30 PM

———————

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You must be new here….what else is there to do when your team isn’t competitive?

8. “They’re 0-5 and my timeline is full of them spewing hate at Romo.”

Weird. Most Giants fans, myself included, love Tony. He was instrumental in the Giants getting to the postseason each of the two Super Bowls they won over the last six years. Without Tony, you could make a strong case that the Giants don’t get to the Super Bowl either time. Most Giants fans hate Cowboys fans. But Tony? Tony’s been very kind to us over the years. He really has a knack of knowing when we need an INT or an incomplete pass to a wide open Dallas WR. I felt bad he wasn’t invited to either of the Super Bowl parades. He should have been there.

9. Tough week to be a Giants fan living in Chicago, but it is what it is. Every team has bad seasons now and then. At least I can go home and watch a nice shiny Blu-Ray of the 2011 playoffs and Super Bowl victory over the Patriots. Beats dusting off a VHS copy of the “Super Bowl Shuffle”, from the last time the Bears won anything of significance.

10. “Should be a nice scrimmage to get our team back in shape for the next time we play a real NFL team.”

Remind me, again. When was the last time Chicago won the Super Bowl? That was the year of “We are the World” and Miami Vice and the girls all dressing like Madonna, right? Good times, man, good times.

11. Sounds about right dbones, follow the herd.

No, I’ve been here for years its just that the team I pull for, Green Bay, haven’t been that bad in a long time.

12. kscogg says:
    Oct 8, 2013 2:37 PM
    romoscollarbone says:
    Oct 8, 2013 2:30 PM
    ———————————————————-
    No hate for Rome here. I’ve always felt that if the Giants can’t win the East, I would rather see the Cowboys win it. At least there are a few players on that team I can respect, and I can respect their fans MUCH more than Eagles fans or, even worse, Redskins fans.

13. thekiller678 says: Oct 8, 2013 2:22 PM

My Giants are terrible, I agree. But Chicago is nothing special either. I’d rather be rebuilding than mediocre.
    —-

Ummm, news flash:

You’re not rebuilding. You’re just bad.

14. thekiller678 says: Oct 8, 2013 2:22 PM

—————————————————————-

I’m pretty sure you weren’t “rebuilding” until you started 0-5.

15. Time to trade them all.. Trade nicks, trade whoever but please fire reese already!!! He has done horrible in drafts, free agency etc.. Those teams that won the super bowls???!!! Werent his teams!! They were accorsi’s!!! He is a horrible gm!! We have had holes to fill for years!! Linebacker, cb, etc!! Anyone that thinks prince was going to be revis is out there mind!! And whoever thought wilson was the next barry sanders is even more insane. Its not coughlins fault or the coordinators its all the gms!! Fire the man and get someone with brains in there!! Offensive line is horrible, browns have a firesale going on and not one call abt joe thomas?? When eli is your prize possession?!? #COMEONMAN

16. Can almost hear the NY accent from “ohnotthatguy” shouting his post and sweating profusely.

You know Coughlin will be back, as well as Eli and the rest of the band. Injuries plagued them and the offensive line is bad. Its just a down year for the Giants as it happens to just about everyone. Having a fire sale won’t cure anything but I guess thats the way it goes in the Big Apple. It is all or nothing.

17. kscogg says:
    Oct 8, 2013 3:13 PM
    Sounds about right dbones, follow the herd.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Green Bay only has 1 superbowl win since 2000. Losers.

18. No way the Saints should trade Ingram to the Giants. They should give him to the Giants, as this would greatly improve the Saints running game. Giants should then let Ingram play QB in wildcat formation so that Eli can take advantage of his experience running for his life. It would also lead to lot less interceptions.

19. @ohnotthatguy – I have said the same thing. Our 2011 Super Bowl was still basically comprised of players from Accorsi. Outside of Cruz, Rolle and JPP. Our last five drafts have produced three players.

Any Giants fan that thinks we should trade for Ingram is foolish also. We need to rebuild the oline then worry about a running back.

I totally agree with trying to trade Nicks. If we could get a 2 or 3 for him we need to pull the trigger. Might want to try and trade Tuck and Kiwi also for 4th round picks.

20. Yes, the Giants are bad right now. Every team goes through some sort of adversity including terrible play and or injuries, I would have never believed that a Coughlin coached team would be 0-5 to start the season but here we are. One thing I do know is that Winners will be back, the Giants have proven they can WIN! They have 2 Superbowls in 6 seasons to show what they are capable of, recent history not past. Yes the G-Men are bad now but keep the faith BigBlue fans the Giants will be back.

21. wilson is soft he wont play even through a broken fingernail.Im a die hard giants fan but my grandma is tougher than this guy .bradshaw couldnt even walk on monday s. Tom get rid of this guy,he is dragging our team down.Reese you know it. Get us someone tougher than this cream puff.D scott is another sproles but gilbride woulnt know it .He isnt an every down back but he is a quick hit ,middle screen ,flat pass guy.wake gilbride.D scott is the best running back we got and we let him go once,dont make that same mistake twice.This guy is danny woodhead,sproles type of guy.we need him.everytime i see him touch the ball he gets big gains and he is tougher than wilson.Put wilson back on returns.REESE IF I CAN SEE ALL THIS AND IM A COUCH POTATO,IT DOESNT LOOK GOOD FOR YOU AND TOM.

22. dbones750 says:
    Oct 8, 2013 4:45 PM
    kscogg says:
    Oct 8, 2013 3:13 PM
    Sounds about right dbones, follow the herd.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Green Bay only has 1 superbowl win since 2000. Losers.

_____________

Haha, wow………and you just keep clinging to the 2 the NY recently won because it could very be awhile before they get back there.

23. I was thumped for posting this yesterday, however I STILL think he could have injured his neck showboating after the TD. He landed awkwardly and extremely abruptly. This surely could have tweaked the upper vertebrae.

24. I’m so thankful that I’m a fan of a team that is so roundly hated. Makes me know for sure that there are fans out there so jealous of our successes (plural) that they are willing to take the time out of their lives to actually wish injuries on our team. This totally beats being a fan of some flyover state team that wouldn’t be missed if it spontaneously combusted.

Keep it all coming ladies! Your insults power me just like the screams of Freddy Krueger’s victims powered him! Cheers.

25. The Giants are a really horrible team. Where are all those Giants fans now? You know, the ones who said that the Giants were going to pulverize the Eagles?

Um, yeah, that happened.

26. I literally just registered to make a comment here. Anyone who is bashing Reese has got it all wrong. Drafting college players is so hit or miss it is unbelievable. The job Reese has done has been spectacular. Albeit, this season has been horrible and last season was not one of our best either. In most cases, one cannot just blame the gm because of a bad season. In our case this season (if you haven’t already guessed–I am a Giants fan), the blame has to be on the players. Reese has put together a pretty solid team, except for the obvious mistake of ignoring the LB position, which bit us. Let’s look at the key players he has drafted since taking over:

2007 – Aaron Ross, Steve Smith, Zak DeOssie, Kevin Boss, Michael Johnson, Ahmad Bradshaw
    This draft class was unbelievable. These guys all contributed right away and helped the Giants win the superbowl in ’07

2008 – Kenny Phillips (unfortunately had too many injuries), Terrell Thomas, Mario Manningham. Not as amazing as his first draft, but still provided some nice players.

2009- Hakeem Nicks, William Beatty. Nicks is a stud and Beatty a starter. The rest were busts unfortunately, but Nicks is a huge part of the offense.

2010- JPP, Linval Joseph. Huge upgrade to the D line.

2011- Prince Amukamara, Marvin Austin, Jacquian Williams, Da’Rel Scott. Mediocre, but better than 2010.

2012- David Wilson, Reuben Randal, Jayron Hosley. David Wilson is going to be a star and Randal is most likely going to step into a much bigger role.

2013- Justin Pugh, Damontre Moore, Ryan Nassib, Cooper Taylor, Michael Cox. These rookies are way too fresh to determine if they are busts. So far, it looks as though Pugh is a nice pick up and Moore needs to be in better shape. Cooper Taylor is interesting because he is a huge safety.

What Reese and the Giants have to do this offseason is draft a stud OG or OT and a monster LB to finally make up for years of neglect. This can be done in the 1st and second rounds. We need to fire Perry Fewell and Gilbride and call Steve Spagnuolo to replace Fewell and find a replacement for Gilbride. This will be a start.

27. cursedvikings1998 says:
    Oct 9, 2013 12:53 PM

Um, yeah, that happened.
    ——–
    What are you talking about? We’re here. Unlike you who think that when your team is 4-9 they still have a shot to win the SB, we’re here objectively discussing how our team is bad right now and taking all the criticism that comes with it. So…let’s hear it….what do you got? If you’re a Viking fan or Eagle fan, you know how this conversation will end.