DeAngelo Hall expects “hell of a football game” covering Dez Bryant

Dez Bryant, DeAngelo Hall AP

Washington cornerback DeAngelo Hall and Dallas receiver Dez Bryant will go head-to-head on Sunday night, and Hall wants fans to be ready for a great battle.

It’s going to be a hell of a football game,” Hall told the Washington Post. “Any time you have a chance to go against somebody that you feel is one of the best, you’re going to try to rise to the occasion. That’s in anything you do. That’s just the competitiveness in all of us. . . . Any time you have a guy like that, who I feel like is a hell of a football player, and he’s obviously one of the best in the game, so you definitely want to bring it.”

Last season Washington beat Dallas twice, but Bryant played very well against Hall and the rest of the Washington secondary. Bryant had a total of 12 catches for 216 yards and two touchdowns in the two games. Hall said, however, that Bryant usually only makes big plays when opposing defenses allow Tony Romo time to pass and Bryant time to get deep. Hall said that’s what he saw on Sunday, when Bryant had six catches for 141 yards and two touchdowns against the Broncos.

“You just try to play the whole down,” Hall said. “I was so frustrated watching [Denver cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie], and we were talking about it as a group, man. I felt like he was in good position a couple times, but just kind of, not knowing that Dallas offense, he kind of eased up for one second. You ease up for one second, and it can be 60 or 70 or 80 yards later, and that’s what happened a couple times to Denver’s secondary.”

That’s what Hall can’t allow to happen on Sunday night.

Permalink 56 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
56 Responses to “DeAngelo Hall expects “hell of a football game” covering Dez Bryant”
  1. robskins10 says: Oct 9, 2013 9:24 AM

DHall plays well against Dez. Bryant’s damage comes when other guys are covering him.

Jason Witten is the guy that always hurts us.

Hail to the REDSKINS!

2. logicalvoicesays says: Oct 9, 2013 9:28 AM

This is like another bye week. I’m already looking ahead to the next week. Easy win for the Burgundy and Gold. #Dallasisjustanotherbroom

3. logicalvoicesays says: Oct 9, 2013 9:30 AM

I named my broom Dallas because I’m used to watching God’s Team sweep the Cowboys. #RESPECTtheNFCEastChampions

4. geniusry says: Oct 9, 2013 9:31 AM

That dude is about to get smoked. MeAngelo doesn’t even know what is about to hit him.

5. keepingitrealdumb says: Oct 9, 2013 9:31 AM

now they got TWilliams as well .. sling it Romo, sling it

6. gibson34 says: Oct 9, 2013 9:36 AM

illogical voice is back in da house talking his nonsense…..we put 48 up on the broncos defense. 4skins defense is the worst in the league….expect a 55 to 14 whopping.

NFC East blows and the boys are the only team that will dominate this year.

FTTR!!!! LMAO.

7. commonsensedude says: Oct 9, 2013 9:36 AM

I give DeAngelo credit for playing very well against Dez Bryant during the last game of the year last year. But Bryant is a beast. He gives me nightmares. The guy is pure talent.

The only thing that makes me feel better is that if we can get into Tony Romo’s face, as we are known to do with quarterbacks from time to time, he will panic and quickly get rid of the ball – and will likely throw picks.

8. charger88 says: Oct 9, 2013 9:37 AM

Notice MeAngelo keeps talking about covering Dez and not tackling him once he catches the ball? Dallas should just throw screens to Dez all game, that would be hilarious to watch cuz MeAngelo is petrified to tackle anyone.

9. bluntsmokinskinsfan says: Oct 9, 2013 9:45 AM

Deangelo can be a tool. But he gets in Dez’s head. He slapped him last year and Dez just took it.

10. xsidiousx says: Oct 9, 2013 9:47 AM

It will be a hell of a game for Dez Bryant AGAINST DeAngelo Hall.

11. harrisonhits2 says: Oct 9, 2013 9:56 AM

Dallas will crush the poor attempt at a team that Washington has.

12. lesliedevereaux says: Oct 9, 2013 9:57 AM

I guess y’all forgot that, in the second game last year, Dez hand an injured back.

So, yeah, he covered Dez well — with an injured back.

13. mdpgc says: Oct 9, 2013 10:03 AM

Those who don’t know facts are quick to say negatives about D’Angelo. Men lie, Women lie, Numbers don’t….Last year (2012), 95 tackles (combined) – 68 (solo) 27(assisted). 382 tackles as a Redskin (6 yrs).

So to say he doesn’t tackle is ridiculous!

14. cowboysnation34 says: Oct 9, 2013 10:05 AM

I wonder if logical and deangelo are related bc both these guys are quite comical. Hall is old and washed up. 5 different receivers have had 100+ yard games against you bro…why open your mouth when your playing against the best receiver you’ll play this season this week other than Megatron. Dez and Terrance will torch this guy. Can’t cover a cold. 41-17 cowboys

15. thetroofishere says: Oct 9, 2013 10:05 AM

commonsensedude says:Oct 9, 2013 9:36 AM

———————————————-

You do know that Bryant hurt his ankle in the first series of that game and limped around the field in between plays right?

16. thetroofishere says: Oct 9, 2013 10:06 AM

mdpgc says:Oct 9, 2013 10:03 AM

So to say he doesn’t tackle is ridiculous!
    ————————————-

Of course he tackles a lot. He lets the guy he’s covering catch all the passes right in front of him.

17. norflkva says: Oct 9, 2013 10:07 AM

The Skins secondary been suspect thus far and they are bout to be challenged once again. This is a rivalry game so both teams will elevate there play and I expect it to be interesting for about 3Qtrs. Either the first 3 or last 3 you will clearly be able to see who’s the better squad.

18. jahbird says: Oct 9, 2013 10:11 AM

Cowboy fans can say what they want about your point total last week. Your man still put it in the other team’s hands when the game was on the line. This is classic Tony Romo. It could be 14-13 and he’d still eff it up for you.

19. onearmsteven says: Oct 9, 2013 10:12 AM

article doesn’t fail to mention that aside from one lengthy catch last year in week 17, deangelo shut down dez (had 10 td’s or something like that in the previous 7 games)

20. dublindemonszfl says: Oct 9, 2013 10:13 AM

Cowboys and Indians an epic battle

21. abninf says: Oct 9, 2013 10:14 AM

22. fafaflunky says: Oct 9, 2013 10:19 AM

go REDSKINS..

23. raaz227httr says: Oct 9, 2013 10:26 AM

REDSKINS

24. Raider-in-PA says: Oct 9, 2013 10:32 AM

Expect to get SMOKED, Mr. Hall!!

Just like you did in Oakland…

Never saw a guy with such little talent not only hold on to a job, but run his mouth like he was Revis…

Hope Dez rips him a new one..

25. geniusry says: Oct 9, 2013 10:33 AM

“HTTR” mentally challenged way of spelling “hater” because that’s all they are. Redskins fans are void of any logic or realistic outlook on their team, especially their defense, or how good any other team/player could possibly be. It’s a disturbing trend here in the DC area.

26. dcdiehard82 says: Oct 9, 2013 10:37 AM

Cowboys fans are a joke… their franchise is a joke and their QB is a choke. Hope you enjoyed blowing your load in a loss, Our D line will dominate and Romo will toss 3 picks. 30-13 Skins!!! HAIL!!!

27. Grulks says: Oct 9, 2013 10:39 AM

Lots of Skins fans talking smack. Wow, you won a game by default against Oakland, who was playing a backup QB. Ooooh oooh oooh, AND you just came off a bye week. Clearly you’re gonna win the Super Bowl.

The fact is, Skins are not playing well right now. They’ve beat a bad team, and got smoked (except for garbage time points) by two not so great teams, at home.

To be fair, Dallas is playing inconsistantly, and division games are almost always close, esp in this division.

At the end of the day, Dallas has too many weapons for Skins shoddy defense to contain, and the Skins offense isn’t clicking on all cylinders.

I predict Dallas to win a very contested battle, but it won’t be by more than say 8 points, max.

28. mn2long says: Oct 9, 2013 10:50 AM

abninf says:

“The REDSKINS are going to be brutalized like a child molester in prison. Game will be over before halftime.”

You clearly don’t watch the Cowboys often. They NEVER put people away in the first half and almost every one of their games is decided in the finel minutes. It’s a Garrett tradition…

29. bigmike7914 says: Oct 9, 2013 10:50 AM

Dez Bryant had almost all those 12 catches and 216 yds exclusively in one game last year on Thanksgiving the second game he didnt score at all and had about 36 yds recieving, Dallas’s defense isn’t getting any better while the Skins are progressing each week, so I cant tell you what to expect, but don’t be suprised if the Skins come out with the win…

30. tonyovertroy says: Oct 9, 2013 10:52 AM

That’s nice, but so far the offensive gameplan in Dallas has been to let Dez get doubled, then throw to the mismatch (Witten, TWill, Beasley, etc). Then in the red zone throw to Dez and let him fight (and win) for it.

So Hall’s not the one who needs to be concerned, it’s everyone else on the ‘Skins’ statistically terrible secondary.

31. 1boy1730 says: Oct 9, 2013 10:53 AM

For a guy who gets beat constantly D. Hall talks way too much. He’s our best corner and yet we can make a case to cut him

32. MCxShow says: Oct 9, 2013 10:54 AM

Why do these idiots think hashtags work on here?

33. baddegg says: Oct 9, 2013 10:55 AM

geniusry says:
    Oct 9, 2013 10:33 AM
    ——————-
    HTTR stands for “Hail to the Redskins” not “Hater.”

I guess you are not a “genius” after all.

So you are in the DC area but are too good to root for the local team. Don’t tell me, let me guess. You have “always loved Dallas” even though you never have been to Texas…

34. joetoronto says: Oct 9, 2013 10:57 AM

Don’t forget to grab your hamstring every time you get toasted, loser.

35. reasonableeaglefan says: Oct 9, 2013 11:03 AM

I guess Hall forgot DRC played in the NFC east the last 2 years and should know Dallas pretty well. I wish I could forget DRC’s time here…

36. harrypairotestes says: Oct 9, 2013 11:03 AM

Big talk from someone who hasn’t covered anything including his child support! Yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah…. I’m not by any means a Bryant nor a Cowboys fan, but I sure do love to hear and read about the skins and their fans talk all this nonsense and see them fail.

lol…. hilarious!

FTTR!!!

37. geniusry says: Oct 9, 2013 11:13 AM

baddegg says: Oct 9, 2013 10:55 AM

geniusry says:
    Oct 9, 2013 10:33 AM
    ——————-
    HTTR stands for “Hail to the Redskins” not “Hater.”

I guess you are not a “genius” after all.

———————————————————

I know what it stands for my friend, I’ve seen that dumb HTTR crap everywhere. Yes, I am a Dallas fan and no, I’ve never been to Texas but that argument is nonsense. Investing every year since age 5 (25 years) to one team allows me to continue to root for them and the fact that I haven’t switched the local team since I’ve lived here for the last 10 years just shows how loyal I am to my team. I guess you’d change if you moved? Again, pure ignorance on your part. You must be a DC area Redskins fan! HaTTeR!!!!

38. thirdistheworrd says: Oct 9, 2013 11:14 AM

I’m so sick of wasting my time arguing about football on the internet, but as a die-hard Redskins fan, I can’t resist taking a pot-shot at Angelo (Cuz he don’t play no D) Hall. mdpgc of course he can tackle, he’s a professional football player. He gets so many tackles because he suks so much, if you’ve watched the Redskins games this season you’ll see that 80% of the opposing quarterbacks passes go to the right side of the field (Hall’s side).

Amerson has made some atrocious plays this year, but the fact is that QB’s don’t throw at him, so he’s clearly doing something right. We can blame Haslett, we can blame tackling, but as a former high school QB and DB. I blame Hall entirely for all of Washington’s struggles this season.

What’s more amazing is he’s even managed to switch up the way he sucs. He used to jump every route, looking for a big play, which would lead to big plays for their offense. Now he’s playing with a twenty foot buffer on his receiver, and even on routes he could easily jump and snag a pick, he’s been sitting back and allowing his man to comfortably catch first down after first down after first down. What’s so wrong about a happy medium, Angelo?

I think next Sunday will be a “hell of a game”– in the last nine years, only four times has this rivalry game been won by more than a single score, no matter how good or bad either side. However, I think Hall covering Bryant will just be “hell”.

39. hailskins94 says: Oct 9, 2013 11:15 AM

Dez Bryant can have 400 yards recieving and it still won’t matter because Tony is going to throw it to the other team when the game is on the line.

40. ccjcsr says: Oct 9, 2013 11:16 AM

Big talk by someone who will have safety coverage over the top!

Redskins = All talk no action!

41. harrisonhits2 says: Oct 9, 2013 11:20 AM

geniusry says:

“HTTR” mentally challenged way of spelling “hater” because that’s all they are.
    ____________________

Geeze even as a Pats fan I know that HTTR stands for hail to the Redskins. Pay attention will ya ?

42. gochargersgo says: Oct 9, 2013 11:23 AM

I expect a hell of a game for Dez Bryant.

43. andyreidisabeachedwalrus says: Oct 9, 2013 11:32 AM

DeAngelo Falls gonna get abused if its 1-on-1 coverage.

44. 106reasons says: Oct 9, 2013 11:39 AM

This is addressed to the ‘skins fans who are dogging DHall:

Are you guys blind? Go back. Watch every snap this year. DHall is *not* “always on the right side” — in fact, one of my biggest problems with Haslett is that he moves Hall around. Hall did an excellent job on Calvin Johnson against Detroit, only to have Haslett move him over to another receiver. Megatron proceeded to torch Wilson.

Hall is and has been the only secondary player worth $0.02 for three years now. His play has improved dramatically since his early years, and anyone who thinks otherwise simply isn’t paying attention. Is he a top-5 corner? Absolutely not. But I’d be comfortable saying he’s the best corner for the money (remember, he took less money to come back?) in the game.

Now, if we could just get a slot corner and a FS who doesn’t get lost every other play…oh, and fire Haslett.

45. 1bigtex says: Oct 9, 2013 11:40 AM

You know our friend, the logical one, has to go to a proctologist to get speech therapy because he spends so much time talking out of his anus.

Total number of times that Washington has swept Dallas: 6

Total number of times that Dallas has swept Washington: 16

Please notice that one number is almost three times greater that the other number. If Washington were to win the next 20 games versus Dallas, then they would be equal in the sweep column and, BTW, the won-loss column. If anyone (logicalvoicesays) cares to make book on that happening, I’d give really long odds.

46. altajo3 says: Oct 9, 2013 12:11 PM

My skins have the worse defensive secondary in the league, hard to watch teams break records every week. I’m not convinced!

47. thirdistheworrd says: Oct 9, 2013 12:19 PM

______________
    And I do really mean that. Everything is Hall’s fault. A Shanahan offense is predicated on a dominant run game. Griffin is very good without one, but when Morris is steadily churning out 100 yard games, Griffin becomes a truly superior passer. With Angie and the no-tackling Nancies giving up TD after TD, we are always playing from way behind, and Morris is virtually taken out of the equation, as is the read option.

106 reasons- Hall has been on the right side (#1 wr side) for at least 80@ of defensive snaps this season. He did play surprisingly well against Johnson, but gave up enough big plays, that Haslett moved him over to single Nate Burleson, so that Wislon and Biggers could double Johnson with Doughty over the top. Granted, they didn’t do much better, but Burleson did haul in a 47 yarder on the next snap, and finished the game with more receiving yards than CJ.

You have a good point about the best CB for the money, but that’s kind of like being happy about the best car I can get for 980 bucks.

48. painsyndicate says: Oct 9, 2013 12:29 PM

MeAngelo Hall is still in the NFL? Does he actually get on the field in other than dime+ coverages?

Oh, he is on the Redskins. Figures.

49. thirdistheworrd says: Oct 9, 2013 12:32 PM

106 reasons- to continue–
    Either way, I’m sick of this “fire Haslett” noise. Rule #76- No excuses, play like a champion. There is no excuse for the garbage defense Washington has fielded this year, but a lot of the blame lies in just Babytown Frolics tackling and Angie Hall rather than the defensive scheme.

That doesn’t mean Haslett shouldn’t be on a very warm seat for the rest of the season, but it is worth noting that the last time the Redskins had a full-budget, the defense improved from 31st to 13th in one year with solid additions like Cofield and Stephen Bowen, and the less solid, but adequate Josh Wilson. Glover Quin has 15 solo tackles, 4 PBU and 2 picks for the Lions this year. With full cap room, he would have been a Washington Redskin. Shoddy tackling aside, this is defense you get when you lose 36 mil in cap room.

With plenty of developing talent and the cap room to sign impact players, I think Washington’s defense owes Haslett at least one more year. Switching coordinators would be the very worst move this team could make right now.

And I hate to say it, I really do, but I’m starting to think London is a big part of the problem now too. He’s still the smartest player on the field at any given time, and my vote would be to sign him as a linebackers coach as soon as the year is over, and allow him to continue being our field general, but from the sidelines, where he can’t whiff on tackles, somethinghe has never done in the last 16 years.

50. thirdistheworrd says: Oct 9, 2013 12:41 PM

1bigtex says: Oct 9, 2013 11:40 AM

Total number of times that Washington has swept Dallas: 6

Total number of times that Dallas has swept Washington: 16
    _________
    Good point tex, I forgot that DC and Dallas have only played each other for 22 years, a period that begins just after the Redskins last Super Bowl win, and just before Dallas goes on to win three Lombardis and the Redskins go on to be one of the NFL’s doormat franchises.

That’s about as valid as saying that the Cowboys have lost two weeks in a row and the Redskins have not (bye week), so therefore Washington is the superior team in 2013.

And if you think logic man is really a redskins fan, you must nearly as smart as he is.

51. trollaikman8 says: Oct 9, 2013 12:46 PM

That’s the first time I’ve heard Hall speak somewhat highly of an opponent.
    Yeah he gets beat but at the same time he plays Dez relatively well.
    I know they tell DB’s to have a short memory but
    this guy Hall must have Alzheimer’s.

52. commonsensedude says: Oct 9, 2013 12:58 PM

My main goal for Sunday is to see old Jerry frown painfully. At least once. Anything more than that is a bonus.

53. thirdistheworrd says: Oct 9, 2013 1:40 PM

geniusry says: Oct 9, 2013 11:13 AM
    ______________
    That is the most pathetic thing I’ve ever heard, and that includes “Bandwagon? Nah man, I’ve always been a Pats fan, because my kindergarten teacher–well she grew up in Philadelphia, but her family was originally from Boston, so I’ve been a die-hard Pats fan since I was six.”
    -Some dude I know, December, 2005. True story–You can’t make this stuff up.

And wow, you haven’t been tempted onto the Redskins bandwagon during the last ten years, that’s so impressive!!! I’ve really been resisting the urge to move to Mongolia over the last few years, so I totally understand what you’re going through.

To your credit, DC is very much a non-local town, and all 32 franchises have solid representation in the DMV area. Everyone suddenly loved the Saints in 2010 but what was impressive were the guys wearing their Ricky Williams and Aaron Brooks jerseys. My buddy and his fiancee moved out to Fort Collins and just bought $700 dream seats to watch our team get curbstomped by the Broncos in November. The Niners, Seahawks, and Packers look like the three best teams in the league right now. My uncle’s gay, my girlfriend is from Tacoma, and one of my best friends works in Madison, does that give me the right to switch teams?

Picking a popular franchise like the Pats, Steelers, Pack, or Cowboys, and becoming a “fan for life” is easy, like agreeing with Jon Stewart. What takes cojones is sticking with whatever garbage team you were born with. I don’t care how many aunt-in-laws or second cousins move to Miami or if I end up getting hired by a firm in LA, San Antonio, or Chicago, I will never stop being a Bullets fan. Because that’s what sports are all about.

54. Jizmaglobin says: Oct 9, 2013 3:57 PM

Anyone who doesn’t think this is going to be a real close game doesn’t know these two teams. Throw all the stats out the window and listen up folks. These two teams always, YES ALWAYS, play each other tough and the games are close nail biters to the end. Myself, I’m going to bet the under.

55. itelldatrutht says: Oct 10, 2013 6:48 PM

Dez has dominated dhall since his rookie year. Dez dominated him the first game last year with 145 yards and 2tds and in the second game dez had 4 catches for 71 yards before he left the game in the third quarter with a bad back. He was well on his way to another hundred yard game on dhall so I don’t know how that is shutting someone down. Then dhall has the nerve to say DRC only got beat because he didn’t know the cowboy offense when DRC played in the nfc east for two years come on dude. Then explain to me what’s dhall’s excuse for always getting beat against the cowboys. Even miles austin has beat him when they go up against each other

56. crookbythebook says: Oct 10, 2013 8:59 PM