Steelers bring back veteran safety Will Allen

Jamaal Charles, Will Allen, Brandon Carr AP

We mentioned yesterday that within hours of being released by the Cowboys, veteran safety Will Allen was spotted at the Steelers facility.

It was not just a social call, as Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports Allen has signed to rejoin the Steelers today.

The corresponding move hasn’t been announced, though Dulac said safety Damon Cromartie-Smith is expected to be released to make room for Allen.

The Steelers have been willing to shake things up a bit in the wake of their 0-4 start, which beats the alternative. And bringing back a guy who was around when they actually won games is the next step.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
29 Responses to “Steelers bring back veteran safety Will Allen”
  1. ravanator says: Oct 10, 2013 9:43 AM

My team got a laugh out of this story. I am sure Will Allen is the key piece to stop the Steelers from going 0-16.

2. abninf says: Oct 10, 2013 9:50 AM

31 years old. Glad to see the Steelers getting younger.

3. steelerfanjo says: Oct 10, 2013 9:55 AM

My beloved Steelers are the laughingstock of the league, well Jags & Giants might be worse, but Will Allen is not the guy to sign. How about a WR who can catch? How about firing Todd Haley?

4. cheffyglenn says: Oct 10, 2013 9:59 AM

Oh so maybe letting Allen and Lewis wasn’t so smart after all. Idiots are ruining this team.

5. bigbenownsthenfl says: Oct 10, 2013 10:03 AM

My team is a disaster! What did tomlin and Colbert do to this team!

6. enoughofthatalready says: Oct 10, 2013 10:09 AM

Oh…….you own a piece of an NFL team? Fancy that. Steelers will never go 0-16. They may go 0-7 before they win their first game but never 0-16.

7. enoughofthatalready says: Oct 10, 2013 10:12 AM

I doubt that the Steelers are the laughing stock of the league right now. They lost 4 games to start the season and are no where near playing as bad as the Giants, Bucs and Jags right now. Signing Will Allen makes total sense if you know anything about football. Polamalu is basically playing a middle linebacker spot and they needed to add another safety that already knows their defense. Will Allen is by no means a great player, but he is a body.

8. ncsteeler says: Oct 10, 2013 10:16 AM

Chill out people – the Steelers changed the #53 man on their roster.

Neither a foolish move nor one that will turn them into SB champs. He isn’t about to displace Polamalu or Clark. I doubt he’s on the game day roster against the Jets.

9. wearethesteelers says: Oct 10, 2013 10:22 AM

Another solid move. Expect us come January.

10-2 stretch starting Sunday.

10. Joemontanaflacco says: Oct 10, 2013 10:25 AM

His primary job will be to drop back 70 yards on each pass play and 60 yards on each run.

11. 3yardsndust says: Oct 10, 2013 10:29 AM

Why didn’t they investigate some tackles or guards? Ozzie Newsome scooped up Eugene Monroe at a reasonable price, and while he’s no Tony Boselli, he can play at a high level. Colbert then signs Levi Brown. Meh.

Colbert has lost his touch. The system only works when the draft works. Otherwise, you have to take a chance on trading for younger players who show promise, are healthy, etc. The reluctance to trade is wearing thin given the current situation and the inability to recognize talent.

12. stlluna7 says: Oct 10, 2013 11:30 AM

I am glad for Allen and even though he was released by the Cowboys, I have no ill (will) against Mr Allen.

13. rando74 says: Oct 10, 2013 11:57 AM

On another note….. How many DBs in this league are named Cromartie? Jeez

14. originalsteelcurtain says: Oct 10, 2013 12:07 PM

A tweaking of the bottom of the roster…we are talking the 4th Safety, really a Special Teams spot.
    This move is insignificant unless Clark or Golden go down.

15. zonex74 says: Oct 10, 2013 12:27 PM

This move wasn’t about making the team better. It was about replacing an injured guy. Allen was released by Pitt and again by Dal for a reason. He just happens to know the system and the spot opened up. Nothing more to the story than that.

16. steeelersrolling says: Oct 10, 2013 12:31 PM

Steelers will make the playoff still. No one ever did that before. We will be the first.

17. tokyosandblaster says: Oct 10, 2013 12:46 PM

Even as a fan of the most storied, best franchise on earth, who has the smartest fans (as ranked by the NFL players), I wouldn’t say the packers would still make the playoffs if they lost their first 4. At some point you have to be realistic.

18. steelerben says: Oct 10, 2013 1:40 PM

Looks like they’re getting the band back together.

If anything adding Sylvester and Allen means the punt and kick coverage team is going to be bolstered.

19. ydousuk says: Oct 10, 2013 1:45 PM

enoughofthatalready says: Oct 10, 2013 10:09 AM

—————————————————————-
    Wow, that’s a pretty BOLD prediction. Are you sure you want to go out on a limb that far?

20. jofig56 says: Oct 10, 2013 2:00 PM

I played with Damon Cromartie-Smith back in High School… I think Will Allen and Troy Polumalu were playing in the NFL already too. So i’m not sure how adding more years to the roster really helps out the Steelers. Why not keep the young and keep developing?

21. crownofthehelmet says: Oct 10, 2013 3:48 PM

“…..I wouldn’t say the packers would still make the playoffs if they lost their first 4.”
    ———————————————
    I would hope not. No way you can compare the Steelers, a historically successful team with the most SB trophies ever, to the Packers, who won a few SB’s when there were 4 teams in the league and another while their star QB was on illegal drugs. Nice SB win in 2010 though, congrats.

22. jmblosser82 says: Oct 10, 2013 4:57 PM

Crown, Green Bay is title town, Pittsburgh sucked until the 70′s no comparing the teams there. But no team should ever start 0-4 and make the playoffs…

23. crownofthehelmet says: Oct 10, 2013 5:07 PM

I’ll see your Title Town, and raise you an America’s Team. Just a nickname, jmb, just a nickname.

24. jmblosser82 says: Oct 10, 2013 5:51 PM

Crown I am a steelers fan, just saying Green Bay has the most nfl titles, steelers sucked until the 70′s and managed maybe 2 playoff appearances before then

25. northsidesteel says: Oct 10, 2013 9:42 PM

No question the Steeler are bad this year. Blame it on the coaching, the age of the players, less than stellar draft choices, the offensive line, or injuries, but the bottom line is that they aren’t a very good football team. All of the above are factors. But things always seem to come full circle. I expect this team to end up something like 6-10 when they start to gel. Nothing great, but from where they are right now, its 500 ball.

26. jaxnitsua says: Oct 11, 2013 11:11 AM

Not Cromartie-Smith! This completely frees the league of the last surviving member of my alma mater. He can’t be Amy worse than Allen, and he’s younger.

27. mssvvs says: Oct 11, 2013 12:07 PM

I grew up in Pgh, to the extent that I ever really “grew up.”I have been a fan of Pgh sports in general since before Maz’s homer. So I guess that makes me old and possibly wise.
    Remember that in life and in sports, all things go in cycles except the Chicago Cubs. The “stillers”will be back, just maybe not this year.

28. blackngold4life says: Oct 12, 2013 1:17 AM

Allen playd really well last season…doubt he can keep Ben from turnin the ball over though

29. orlbuckeye says: Oct 12, 2013 11:07 AM

Come on. It’s the 2nd week in Oct. and each of the teams have 52 on their rosters. That probably about 300 receivers in the league. There aren’t any players that are available that will really make a difference. Allen did play well last year. I’m just waiting for the Steelers to have a game where they win the turnover battle.