Adrian Peterson plans to play on Sunday

AP

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson met with the media on Friday afternoon for the first time since word broke that his two-year old son is in a South Dakota hospital after allegedly being beaten by his mother’s boyfriend.

Sean Jensen of the Pioneer Press reports that Peterson said that he plans to play against the Panthers on Sunday, explaining that he’s able to release a lot of stress on the field. Peterson also thanked the Vikings for their support and asked for privacy while his family deals with a horrible situation.

“I really appreciate all the support from fans and the Vikings. I ask y’all respect my privacy,” Peterson said.

There aren’t too many moments in these parts when football is secondary, but this is certainly one of them. Whatever happens on the field this weekend, we hope that the next few days bring better news to Peterson and his family.

104 responses to “Adrian Peterson plans to play on Sunday

1. God, I don’t even care about football, I just hope that little guy can pull through somehow.

Also, the guy that did this doesn’t deserve prison. He deserves far worse.

2. I hope every Vikings fan in that building on Sunday cheers louder for Adrian than they ever have before in his entire career to date. I’d also love to see him have the game of his life on Sunday.

3. I honestly cannot blame him for choosing to play Sunday. It is probably eating him up so much to be with his child, but you have to think he may go out and do something out of pure anger. With the team they can keep an eye on him and he can vent his frustration physically through means that wouldn’t harm him or his family.

Either way I can’t imagine the pain and emotion he is enduring right now. Keep strong.

Prayers for your son, you, and your family.

4. Geez, what type of man beats a 2 year old? AP & his Oline need to pay that dude a visit and open up a can of wupass on him.

5. Prayers to your son for a full recovery Adrian. As a Vikings fan, I can’t believe your playing this week. I know one thing, I would hate to be a defender trying to bring you down this week.

6. “I can release a lot of stress on the field” Bad news for the Panthers defense. I wish AP could take the stress out on the guy who did that to his son though!

7. Whoever is dumb enough to beat up an NFL player’s kind, especially someone like AP, deserves to be Darwined out of the genepool.

Hope the kid is ok.

8. Of course AP is going to play Sunday. He’s has a lot of pentup anger he needs to get rid of. Most people in his situation take time off because if they went to work and started hitting people they’d get fired. AP, on the other hand, gets paid to do that. Those poor Carolina LB’s…0

9. Go play on Sunday, then go and find the low life that did this to your son and give him what he deserves…

10. “The good Lord will never give me enough I can’t handle, I’m built tough.” Adrian Peterson

We don’t doubt you A.P, you could be the most arrogant player in the world and choose not to be. One of the most respected player in sports built like a brick shthouse in and out.

God Bless

11. Positive thoughts out to Peterson and his family. Negative thoughts and ill will towards the “big man” that needed to compensate for something by beating up on a child.

12. Godspeed to you and your family Adrian. Sending a prayer for your son and strength for your family. Were behind you. This time its not about the fans, its about your family. Wishing you all well.

13. Adrian Peterson will go down as the best player to play the game

He’s the perfect example of hard work, fighting through things and succeeding

I’m glad he’s a Viking

14. “explaining that he’s able to release a lot of stress on the field.”

__________________________

I don’t want to be a lineman, backer or god forbid a safety for Carolina this week.

15. If he runs as angry as it appears normally, and now he can imagine every panther is this legendary tool bag who harmed his son?…

Yikes. I would NOT want to be on the Panthers D this week.

16. Glad everyone is pulling for him, but this is just backwards priorities. He should be with the child and child’s mom.

17. 337yds rushing, 4tds, and a 80yd screen pass reception td? I just hope he doesn’t run angry straight out of his joints.

18. They should move this game to Sunday night to give Adrian a little more time and an opportunity for the nation to cheer and support Adrian Peterson.

19. It has been said that Adrian Peterson plays violent and angry……….Sunday could be very interesting !

20. I don’t care that you’re able to release a lot of stress on the football field. Your son is clinging to his life, with reports he’ll be taken off life support this evening, and he needs you there for him.

We should all be rooting against football this weekend, since it clearly takes precedence over being by your son’s side. I get that he just learned the son is his…..you still have to be there with him.

21. How AP is able to deal with his emotions isn’t the issue…the 2 year old child is. The child won’t be watching the game sunday, but he could sure feel your touch if you’re sitting there holding him right now.

22. AP is going to break the single game NFL rushing record currently held by… AP 296 207 vs. Chargers

23. Speechless.

Terrible what happened to his son. His determination on the field will be clear. Get that stress out Adrian!

24. I just read his son is on life support and fighting for his life. Adrian, as a father telling this to another father, go be with your son. Football IS secondary. I’m sure the Viking fans would feel better that you spent your time with your son.

25. The boys mom went from being with a multimillionaire pro athlete who happens to be a stand up guy to a child beating POS. Way to go!

26. Don’t fault the guy for not being there without knowing the whole story. The kid has a family and AD isn’t part of it. Maybe he was asked not to be there. Either way his privacy should be respected.

27. Looks like any message conveying good thoughts gets a handful of thumbs down.

Obviously, there are a handful of idiots out there believing themselves to be clever and funny… “I’ll click thumbs down. Ain’t I smart.”

They are neither clever nor funny. They are cowards.

It’s sad what happened to AP’s son. Obviously, but it’s almost as sickening to know there are some readers (surpised they can actually read) out there who take perverse humor in it.

28. Would AP still be playing if this awful situation occurred to the child who bares his name?

Not supporting the woman whom you impregnated during a crisis like this an unimaginable act of selfishness.

CLASSLESS

29. I don’t know…….people are just wired differently. There is absolutely no way I would be anywhere else other than my sons bedside.

30. Why should AP skip the game and spend time with his family?

He never did anything for the child in the 1st place

The same people supporting AP think Derrick Thomas was a great human being.

31. This should never happen to a child. But AP fathered a kid by some random woman, and while I’m sure he pays support, the kid doesn’t live with him. If you can’t be around to protect your child, then you bear some fraction of responsibility. Don’t have kids outside a stable family. No, I’m not a bible thumper or far out right winger. This is what can happen when you do things outside the prudent way to operate.

32. Bengal Fan on AP’s side. I realize how terrible and difficult a situation like this one must be on him. If he decides to play or not… even at the last minute, my heart and prayers are with him. Honestly, it would be hard for me to leave my Son’s bedside during this time, but I don’t know how AP and the Mother’s relationship is at this point, either. This is very stressful.

33. Props to the Packer brethren on here for putting real life ahead of the usual NFL-related bickering. This kind of things happens entirely too often in our world. I don’t understand it now any more than I did the first time a child I know suffered at the hands of his mom’s boyfriend. My only hope is that the child can recover fully and forget all about this event, and the pathetic loser who did this never gets the opportunity to do anything of the sort ever again, one way of another.

34. That is about the cutest little boy you’d ever see, and this whole thing is just a tragedy. For those thinking AP is going to stampede Carolina, keep in mind that their defense is pretty dang good.

35. bad decision.. many things in life are more important than football & this ought to be one of them.. take responsibility for the kids you bring into this world & be there when they need you most, no matter how high profile or high paid you are ..Vikings fans will get over it

36. It’s funny how all the violence called upon this suspect is allowed on this site, yet, a critisicm of AP’s parenting or even manhood is deleted within minutes of posting.

Praying for the child and the mother. Do not feel symptahy for AP who only contributed the sperm and nothing else.

37. “Would AP still be playing if this awful situation occurred to the child who bares his name?

CLASSLESS”

So you are making Peterson the villain? I am a Bears fan who hates the Vikings, but gimme a break! The guys son is in critical condition.

Blame Joey Patterson….he’s the man who did this to this child. Even more sickening is when you look this guy up on Facebook he has pictures all over with his own kid, who has to be around the same age.
    I hope he never sees his kid again.

38. mattjay0101 says:
    Oct 11, 2013 3:09 PM

CLASSLESS

__________________________

I think your making a lot of assumptions about a situation you have very little knowledge about.

39. @mattjay0101 says:
    Oct 11, 2013 3:09 PM

CLASSLESS

=====

What makes you think she wants support from AP? How do you know he wasn’t told to leave the wife and child alone?

Reportedly, he didn’t know the child was his until the incident occurred. She obviously knew who he was so why would she keep it quiet for over two years? With that in mind, it’s not far of a stretch for her to not want AP around for what’s going on right now.

You don’t know the full story. You making assumptions is what is really classless.

40. Adrian Peterson is responsible for his offspring. Adrian Peterson takes some of the blame here, good dads do not let their children be supervised by scum under any circumstances.

41. My guess is AD has already said his goodbyes to his son. The boy is on life support right now. Later tonight, they will be taking him off it. The family said they were going to donate his organss afterwards. There could be any number of reasons why he is back with the team and will be playing.

42. Adrian – I’ll put your son in my prayers and ask others here to do so. You are a class act and what you are going through is just sickening. Keep your chin up, run through the opposition, and let God look over your son. Godspeed.

43. Jeez, this is an awful situation. Hoping his son makes a full recovery. The guy that did this is lucky AP didn’t get his hands on him first. Look at the damage he does to NFL defenders, can you imagine what he would do to a regular persons face? And that still wouldn’t be a fraction of what this scumbag deserves.

44. Adrian Peterson begins early deconstruction on the Metrodome
    ————————————————-
    Posted by Mike Florio on October 13, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT

“It appears Adrian found a way to kill two birds with one stone this Sunday, as the distressed running back managed to simultaneously “release a lot of stress on the field”, as well as begin early deconstruction of the Metrodome.

In the first play of the game, Cassel handed off the ball to Peterson, who then proceeded to run directly up the middle into Carolina’s defensive line, blasting the linemen into the stands, and sending Carolina’s defensive backs running terrified to the locker rooms.

Adrian then proceeded to run into the end zone and through the wall at the bottom of the stands, and out the Metrodome wall. He was later spotted running rogue through three other NFL games throughout the day.

Adrian finished the day with 2,176 miles and 4 touchdowns.

Our prayers go out to the families of the Carolina D-linemen.”

45. mattjay0101 says:
    Oct 11, 2013 3:09 PM

CLASSLESS

—————————————————————-

So, he should go support the woman who was dating the monster that beat the child most of the way to death?

I hear everyone that says go and be with the child. I’m a father. If it was my child, I would not be leaving her side. However, my situation is not the same as AP’s. It is not for me to judge what he is doing and why because I simply don’t know the facts of his situation.

All I can do is feel for him and wish him the best in however he chooses to deal with it.

46. bmorgen82, that was a horsh!t comment. You don’t know the circumstances, so why don’t you leave it alone before rubbing salt in Peterson’s womb? And yeah, I take it personally because in some ways I’m in the same boat as AP in terms of my children. It wasn’t anything I had any control over. I can only imagine the emotions AP is dealing with and my greatest fear in life is receiving a phone call telling me that one of my boys is dead or in grave condition due to the neglect or abuse of someone else.

47. Sad and tragic event.

Quite honestly, it’s nobody’s business to tell anybody how they should react or properly grieve in a situation like this.
    Please, save your sanctimony.

Thoughts are with Adrian this weekend, and I’m sure most of Packer Nation will be pulling for you. At least for this weekend. 😉

48. brmorgen82 says:
    Oct 11, 2013 3:44 PM

————————————————-

Obviously you’ve never had a child with a woman who then later broke up. Mothers get 90% of custody rights, and fathers 10%, in Minnesota.

Adrian didn’t have the right to take his own child from a bad situation, even if he tried, without a long, extended trial to prove that the mother is not capable of taking care of the child.

49. dublindemonszfl says:
    Oct 11, 2013 3:58 PM
    Shout out to the Packer Fans supporting AP. Thanks you’re the good football fans I tell my kids about.

******************************************

You’re welcome.

Hoping for the best for that little guy.

50. How does this make AP a class act???? Because he is choosing to play in a meaningless football game?

51. @chris6523 “bmorgen82, that was a horsh!t comment. You don’t know the circumstances, so why don’t you leave it alone before rubbing salt in Peterson’s womb?”

– oh man, I didn’t know AD All Day was pregnant!

52. FATHER OF THE YEAR!!! His 2 year old son is attacked and is currently in intensive care. AP travels for 1 day to see him and returns to his team for practice. He vows to play on Sunday. Good for you AP, no need to be a father and be by the side of your son who is in the ICU. He must spent at least 1/2 day with his son. Why let being a father get in the way of your own personal glory.

Parents, imagine this scenario: your child is in the ICU in another state. Do you a) stay with them 24/7 until they are released from the hospital or b) visit them for a day and then go back to your normal routine?

53. Upon hearing the news that AP is able to “release alot of stress on the field” the Panther defense desperately implored the pilot to turn back for Carolina

54. As a parent of a small boy myself…I would without a doubt be by my sons side not only for this week but probably would take at least the season off. Its obvious that setting a personal rushing record is more important than the life of his son. Pathetic that some peoples values are this bad.

55. Only in America can a “class act” be a deadbeat dad who doesn’t support his illegitimate children. Who care ? As long as he goes for 125 and 2 touches.

56. He’s gonna rush for about 400 yards this weekend. And playing the Panthers, it’s possible!

57. He’s playing!!!!????

Sorry. Viking management needs to step in and tell this man to take the weekend off. He is probably in a state of shock.

58. @ thundastormz says: Oct 11, 2013 5:05 PM

———————————————————-

I agree with you. This isn’t coping with a passing of an elderly parent. This is a 2 year old child fighting for his life. I couldn’t leave his side in fear he would A) wake up B) pass away. Add to the fact he was attacked. The feelings of guilt on my part would be immeasurable for not being there to protect him. On the surface, playing sounds commendable but you are right. It shows another dark side to pro sports that he would even consider it. I hope the Vikings do the right thing and sit him for the week at least.

Quantcast

59. Unbelievable he is not there with his son. I would never leave his side

These comments are sickening about his excited fans hoping this makes him run harder so they can win their fantasy games.

What about the morality of knocking up women out of wedlock and then paying them to keep quiet?

I have no respect for him.

I do pray for that little innocent boy….

60. I like the way you guys know what AP should do/how he should cope. Just because you are a Father (as am I) to a small child/children does not mean you have a clue as to what the situation is, and how he should behave accordingly. You do not know how you would react until it has actually happened. I always get a kick out of people telling other people how they should deal with tradgedies. Hope his sign is a fighter like his Daddy and I hope the POS who did this gets what he deserves from the Inmates where he ends up!!!

61. firetomlin, i condemn your point of view (assumptions).
    Do you know all that is Peterson and his kin?
    I highly doubt it.
    He could’ve been withheld knowledge of his sons existence. You don’t know that.

62. This is to everyone who is saying negative things about Peterson’s decision to play and/or the lack of involvement in his son’s life: who the f@$% do you think you are? You know nothing about the situation and even if you think you do, what gives you the right to judge? Keep your negativity and lofty judgements to yourself.

63. Wow, everybody needs to do some more research/thinking before commenting on anything. First, Adrian did not know that this was his child until recently. How recently? It is uncertain at the moment but there is some speculation that this incident is how he found out. The child was a “secret” to the public and neither you nor I know why it was so hush-hush. Second, you don’t know the circumstances surrounding his relationship with the mother of this child and the child itself. The mother did not know the paternity of the child until the test came back saying it was Adrian’s. The mother thought it may have been PATTerson’s. Adrian very well may have been asked to stay away from her and the child. Third, the child was not “beaten” per se. He was shaken. It is still abuse and still a horrible thing but he was not beaten in the classic sense. Fourth, the child has not had any brain activity since yesterday and they are expecting to remove him from life support this evening.

It may be too hard for Adrian to be there when they pull the plug. He already said his good-byes and he wants to get his anger out on the playing field. Some people cope differently. Some drink, he runs people over on the field.

Keep your judgements to yourself until you know all of the facts.

You are in my thoughts lil dude.