Eyewitness emerges in Hernandez double murder investigation

Hernandez AP

The case against former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez for the June 2013 murder of Odin Lloyd may be getting a little wobbly, but the potential case against him for the July 2012 murders of Safiro Furtado and Daniel Abreu may be getting stronger.

An alleged eyewitness to the double murder recently told FOX 25 in Boston that the witness, whose identity has not been disclosed, was in the car with Furtado and Abreu at the time of the shooting.

They just came up and started firing for no reason at all,” the witness, who was shot in the arm, told FOX 25.  “We never had any trouble.  We were not those kind of people.  We were just having fun.”

The witness said he recognized Hernandez after he was arrested for the murder of Lloyd.

“When I see his face, I just recognize his face,” the witness explained.  “Compare his face that night to his face now.  It’s that face that I remember. . . .  I just want to know, what’s the reason?  What’s the point?  Why us?”

A grand jury has been investigating the murders, with Hernandez reportedly the target of the probe.

“We’ve got the best homicide team in the city working on that,” Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis recently told FOX 25.  “They are putting pieces of information together and presenting it to the grand jury, working very closely with the District Attorney’s Office on that case.  I’m satisfied with the direction it’s going in, and I think that we’ll come to the right conclusions on that.”

The right conclusions for the authorities could be the wrong conclusions for Hernandez, ultimately requiring him to face a jury not once but twice with a life sentence hanging in the balance.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Aaron Hernandez case, Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
50 Responses to “Eyewitness emerges in Hernandez double murder investigation”
  1. reesesteel23 says: Oct 11, 2013 10:19 AM

If the guy is guilty throw away the key…..but where has this guy been hiding all these years? hmm

2. bohms27 says: Oct 11, 2013 10:21 AM

3. Grulks says: Oct 11, 2013 10:21 AM

“When I see his face, I just recognize his face,” the witness explained. “Compare his face that night to his face now. It’s that face that I remember. . . . I just want to know, what’s the reason? What’s the point? Why us?”

———–

Right, but you never recognized him from any pictures, videos, or exposure from the NFL?? it wasnt until he was arrested for the -other- murder, that you recognized him?

4. sdisme says: Oct 11, 2013 10:24 AM

may be a lot getting stronger. ?

5. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Oct 11, 2013 10:28 AM

Bye, Aaron.

6. pigskin28 says: Oct 11, 2013 10:33 AM

Really? And he never saw his face before he got arrested? Shaky.

7. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Oct 11, 2013 10:34 AM

My belief is Hernandez is guilty as sin – but why is this eyewitness only showing up nearly 4 months after he supposedly knew Hernandez’s face from the Odin Lloyd murder?

Does he ever watch any Patriot games?

It just seems like high caliber defense attorneys (like the team Hernandez can afford) will be able to poke a lot of holes in the testimony of a guy who claims to be 100% sure he recognizes Hernandez’s face – 4 months after Hernandez has made global news …. and get just 1 member of a 12 member jury to consider it sufficient to amount to reasonable doubt.

Man, I hope not.

8. pooflingingmonkey says: Oct 11, 2013 10:34 AM

Tomorrow’s headline:

Eyewitness that emerged in Hernandez double murder investigation disappears!

9. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: Oct 11, 2013 10:37 AM

Sigh…the Patriot Weight !

10. ledh28 says: Oct 11, 2013 10:38 AM

good luck, your gonna sit there and say that the only face u saw was maybe Hernandez not anyone else and while bullets were flying u didnt think to get down. this isnt gonna hurt Hernandez this guy doesnt really know what he saw except maybe he knows exactly why they were getting shot up and wants Hernandez behind bars or this person isnt real just a decoy to get aaron to talk. remember this is “top” homicide unit… anyone can read between these lines. also where has this “witness” been during the first investigation when it first happened. he didnt recognize him then?

11. kriswd40 says: Oct 11, 2013 10:39 AM

I think Hernandez killed Lloyd but proving that without a shadow of a doubt is starting to sound unlikely. At the very least, he should be going away for a while on the weapon charges. This case with an eye witness and with the car found that was used during the shooting seems much more likely to put away someone for good that clearly is a danger to others.

12. 2manyconcussions says: Oct 11, 2013 10:40 AM

If true, this is a very troubled young man.

13. bigperm33 says: Oct 11, 2013 10:41 AM

how is the Odin Lloyd case getting wobbly? odin Lloyd was alive at his home. Aaron Hernadez went from his house to pick up Lloyd. Aaron hernadez then drove Llyod to a secluded area. Odin Lloyd is murdered in that area. Aaron Hernadez leaves the area and goes home and tries to destroy evidence. I know his celebrity status may mean the burden of proof gets a little more difficult, but on what I just wrote above is more than sufficient to convict of murder. We dont need to know who pulled the trigger. That is needed to convict.

14. snowman36 says: Oct 11, 2013 10:41 AM

Dubious to say the least

15. onearmsteven says: Oct 11, 2013 10:43 AM

so he recognized his face after he was on TV for the lloyd murder, but never saw him on anything prior to that? you know, like a game or sportscenter or anything? seems fishy some guy is coming out of the woodwork now….

16. thepftpoet says: Oct 11, 2013 10:43 AM

Too bad the eyewitness wasn’t Bill Bellichek, he would have had it all on camera

17. kriswd40 says: Oct 11, 2013 10:46 AM

> I’m confused… He just recognizes him now? After he was playing in the NFL for a year? I’m not trying to defend Hernandez, but this doesn’t make sense. How can you possibly just recognize his face now and not have figured it out in the year that he was one of the top tight ends in the NFL?

@bohms27 – Not everyone out there is an NFL fan. Hernandez is a lot more recognizable now than he was a year ago because of this murder case, not because of his NFL ties.

18. richcranium2112 says: Oct 11, 2013 10:47 AM

He might be more recognizable now due to the fact his face has been all over the news for the past few months. Before this all blew up you could probably have shown photos of three different people and less than 2% of the population could pick out Hernandez. Now it might be 10%.

19. breakingb says: Oct 11, 2013 10:48 AM

Dat Face!

20. philadelphonic1 says: Oct 11, 2013 10:51 AM

To those commenting that it’s fishy that this guy just recognizes Herbandez now… Did you consider that he might not be a football fan?

Can you pick the top player in the WNBA from a lineup? I couldn’t.

21. harrisonhits2 says: Oct 11, 2013 10:52 AM

I don’t know that sounds kind of shaky to me. He suddenly recognized Hernandez much later and only after his face has been splashed all over the news for months now ?

Not sure if I buy that. Not defending Hernandez and believe he’s guilty of the Lloyd murder, but these 2 far less sure about.

22. buddysguys says: Oct 11, 2013 10:52 AM

someone is a liar.

23. bmoreravens1012013 says: Oct 11, 2013 10:53 AM

For everyone wondering why now, maybe the witness doesn’t watch NFL football…just maybe…I know the NFL is the greatest thing since sliced bread but there’s a reason why the NFL wants to keep “improving and expanding” their product. It’s because there is too much money still left out there from people who dre not already locked in such as most of us on this site. I’m not saying its not plausible to ask “why now” or “how did this witness not see him before now on tv”, but its also not implausible for one to think that maybe this person doesn’t watch football. Just saying….

24. essentialsausage says: Oct 11, 2013 10:53 AM

Quite a lame “eyewitness”, I must say.

I believe that Odin Lloyd probably was killed by Hernandez or an accomplice of his. But these 2012 crimes just sound like the police trying pin two unsolved murders on someone. They’ve used this tactic before.

25. txmade06 says: Oct 11, 2013 10:53 AM

Sounds like he’s just hopping on the wagon to me.. I could be wrong but I find it hard to believe that he wouldn’t have recognized Aaron Hernandez before he was arrested for the murders.

26. austinoxford says: Oct 11, 2013 10:55 AM

Has it occurred to many of you who doubt this person’s credibility that maybe he doesn’t follow the NFL and doesn’t watch ESPN? How do you know that this guy didn’t come forward in June when Hernandez’s face was plastered on everything from the nightly news to every web browser due to the the Lloyd murder. Just because you are just hearing about this witness doesn’t mean that the DA hasn’t known for months. There’s a reason that the State likes to keep witness identities confidential.

27. steeelfann says: Oct 11, 2013 10:56 AM

Takes a big man to hurt someone with a gun or other weapon. You are so cool Aaron.

28. jeremycrowhurst says: Oct 11, 2013 10:58 AM

The idea that he wouldn’t have seen Hernandez on T.V. prior to his arrest in the Lloyd case isn’t that hard to believe — there are 200,000,000 Americans who don’t follow football, and another 50,000,000 who wouldn’t recognize players unless they’re doing United Way commercials. (And I’m pretty sure Hernandez never did any of those.)

That said, this kind of eyewitness evidence is EXTREMELY weak. The usual first question for the victim is, “Were you looking at the face, or looking at the gun?” The usual first question put to the jury is, “Have you ever been walking down the street, and seen somebody that you were sure was your friend Joe?”

Recognition at the time of the event can be dicey, recognition a year after the fact is almost worthless.

29. thebluecoconuts says: Oct 11, 2013 10:59 AM

Don’t get me wrong, I believe he’s guilty just like O.J. & Ray Lewis, but it seems like all the evidence they have is circumstantial and is shaky at best !

30. audioflint says: Oct 11, 2013 11:01 AM

Worst eye-witness ever…

I would be shocked if a jury bought that story. On the other hand, I’ve been shocked by a lot of juries. But who can judge? They’re there through the whole trial. I’m not.

31. unclebluck says: Oct 11, 2013 11:02 AM

Quite a lame “eyewitness”, I must say.

They have the rented auto in Hernandez’s name which was hidden in his uncles garage as well as the weapon I believe…..

32. anotheryx says: Oct 11, 2013 11:10 AM

You can’t really “recognize” someone a year later after getting shot up. Eye witnesses are reliable when recognizing someone they previously have a personal relationship to but notoriously bad at identifying strangers, even if they are famous. This doesn’t seem to be worth all that much.

33. dunnd4d4 says: Oct 11, 2013 11:11 AM

Has it occurred to anyone that this witness was supposedly shot in the arm and his friends were murdered. maybe he didn’t feel comfortable saying anything while the shooter was still at large and extremely wealthy at that. Now that hernandez is behind bars he may feel a little more comfortable talking about the time he almost got killed by Aaron Hernandez.

34. mn2long says: Oct 11, 2013 11:15 AM

For those of you who question this gy not recognizing Hernandez before the publicity started for the Lloyd murder, You DO know there are people in the country who do not live, breathe, eat, and sleep NFL, right? And who could have thought any NFL player would be running around commiting multiple murders before this happened? Not to mention, Hernandez was not a player that was getting his face on TV much without a helmet on before this…

35. dedicatedhawkfan says: Oct 11, 2013 11:21 AM

he just recently spoke with the MEDIA. I don’t believe it states anywhere in the article that he just recently spoke with the authorities. He could have contacted them as soon as the Odin murder broke and Hernadez’s face was all over the news. This is an ongoing investigation and they don’t have to divulge what evidence they have. They are preparing for a grand jury so I am sure they are playing it close to the vest.

36. edgarprado says: Oct 11, 2013 11:21 AM

I’m a football fan – I even go to Patriots games. I had no idea what Hernandez looked like until this. They wear helmets when they play.

37. blahblahblah1313 says: Oct 11, 2013 11:23 AM

Don’t know what to make of this witness, but just because this guy didn’t recognize Hernandez from Patriots games doen’t mean anything.A lot of people have a life unlike many poters here and don’t watch football every day.

38. FinFan68 says: Oct 11, 2013 11:23 AM

Remember when the suspicion of the double murder came out of the blue? This guy is probably why. He didn’t just show up yesterday. Where do you think the police got some of the initial information from? The investigations crossed paths due to having common people involved.

Some of you people would not be convinced Hernandez did anything wrong even if there were hi-def video evidence and a signed confession. The case against Hernandez for the murder of Odin Lloyd is not wobbly at all. It does not take a Mensa membership to put the pieces together. The only thing missing on on that case is the gun. The circumstances surrounding the case and Hernandez’s behavior are easily enough to get a conviction but the “celebrity factor” will probably influence some simpleton that gets on the jury.

39. nutitletown says: Oct 11, 2013 11:24 AM

Not everyone follows american football. On top of that, these players wear helmets during the games…. their faces are hidden. And why would this guy have any reason to believe that a player on a New England sports team shot up his car??

But I’m sure the defense will find other ways to “shoot holes” in this witnesses testimony.

40. wrongsizeglass says: Oct 11, 2013 11:24 AM

buddysguys says:
    Oct 11, 2013 10:52 AM

someone is a liar.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The bigger issue is that someone is a murderer.

41. ocgunslinger says: Oct 11, 2013 11:25 AM

Based on Hernandez’s background and history I would not be surprised if he is eventually found guilty of one or more of these charges. However, based on what “Evidence” has been produced to date we have to remember “Innocent until PROVEN guilty”. OJ was innocent right?

42. v16009 says: Oct 11, 2013 11:33 AM

Like it or not, not everyone watches Football. Regardless the police have the right people in custody for the murder of Odin Lloyd.

43. s0merand0mguy says: Oct 11, 2013 11:40 AM

The fact that everybody is already convicting the man is sad. Let the legal system take course. Sounds like a bunch of sour bias patriots fans jumping to conclusions. I hope the man gets weapons charges, serves 3 years and gets out. The evidence is shaky and I don’t see them being able to prove without a shadow of doubt that he killed Lloyd.

44. ravens533 says: Oct 11, 2013 11:47 AM

When the guy first saw Hernandez’s face might well have been after the arrest. I do not watch TV news so I could see it taking so time for him to be sure of the identification. Most people are reluctant to go to the police when they think they know something. It may have taken a few more days to convince himself that he should. Then he starts seeing people from Hernandez’s life start dying under suspicious reasons. Put yourself in that guy’s shoes. Who you think twice about going to the police. I can see where it might take awhile before he was willing to come forward. Also, the other poster might be right in that we do not know when this witness did come forward.

45. 3yardsandacloud says: Oct 11, 2013 12:07 PM

I cannot believe this many people think this guy is going to smoke Hernandez. Any defense attorney, let alone the guys AH has on his team, is going to light this guy up on cross.

Q: You were being shot at?
    A: Yes
    Q: You were shot in the arm?
    A: Yes
    Q: You weren’t expecting to be shot that night?
    A: No
    Q: The people shooting were outside the car?
    A: Yes
    Q: You were trying to avoid being hit, right?
    A: Yes

All that to lead to the “witness” didn’t really get a good look. It’s fairly elementary. The prosecution case keeps looking more and more shaky. I wonder if in the rush to hammer the lid on Hernandez’s NFL coffin, they forgot to grab the nails.

I think most people agree Hernandez is probably guilty of something related to these two incidents; however, public opinion vs. reasonable doubt is much different and it’s starting to look like the prosecutor’s do not have much that is going to hold enough weight to convince 12 citizens.

46. binnh says: Oct 11, 2013 12:51 PM

I hate to break it to all of you guys who wonder why the witness is just recognizing him now. Not everyone in the world gives a cr@p about the NFL. There are probably plenty of people who haven’t watched 5 minutes of football in the last 5 years. I watch football and I doubt if I would recognize more than a couple dozen of the current players if they walked into the room right now. Brady, yes. Either Manning, yes. Welker, Wilfork, yes (I live in New England). Gostkowski, Vereen maybe. Probably about a dozen others. Until all the publicity of the Lloyd case, I would not have recognized Hernandez either. Except for the QBs, we only see most of the players with helmets on most of the time. Give it a rest.

47. jaypace says: Oct 11, 2013 12:52 PM

So this guy comes forward now. Aaron Hernandez has been in the news for months now. You would think this guy would have come forward sooner.

48. yousuxxors says: Oct 11, 2013 3:23 PM

he’s been all over the news for months now and on top of that was an important piece for one of the most popular and covered football teams … he just sees his face now, sounds like bs to me. you telling me he didn’t watch the Superbowl 2 years ago and see his face.

49. yousuxxors says: Oct 11, 2013 3:30 PM

Mr.gangsta lawyers are gonna eat this case up, to much doubt. in my eyes he is guilty or at least there but there doesnt seem to be enough hard evidence. this is nothing like ray lewis case where it was self defense and he was just there.

50. freedomrhode says: Oct 11, 2013 5:08 PM

No. This eyewitness is a puppet for the state. A truthful man would have come forward long ago. When the police interviewed him after the shooting, did a police sketch artist draw up his description of the shooters? Did he provide a description of Hernandez back in 2012? He did not. This portion of the public trial is just another fabrication.