Gregg Williams not biting on questions about coaching future

Gregg Williams AP

The Titans were bad at playing defense last year, and pretty good at it this year.

Ordinarily, that might make the coach responsible for the turnaround a hot candidate for other jobs.

But Titans assistant Gregg Williams stepped carefully around questions as to whether he’d like to be a head coach again.

I just love coaching, no matter what position,” Williams said, via The Tennesseean. “I love being a special teams coordinator. I love being a defensive coordinator. I love being a position coach. All those things.

“So I really, in all honesty, I take no time to think about those things. I really don’t. I love being a mentor and leader of young men. I love that aspect of it, and this is a good group to be around. I get as much from them as they get from me.”

What Williams got from a coach desperate to save his own skin (Mike Munchak) was a second chance, after many around the league thought he’d be radioactive after his suspension surrounding the Saints bounty controversy.

But Williams has done a good job adapting to the Titans staff (he’s not the coordinator, that’s Jerry Gray), and easing back into the working world after less than a year off.

He signed a one-year contract with the Titans this offseason, but coming off a 6-10 season which led the owner to put everyone on notice, that’s the practical length of most coaching deals there.

But by keeping a low profile and doing good work, Williams has likely given himself chances to keep finding jobs that he loves.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
17 Responses to “Gregg Williams not biting on questions about coaching future”
  1. realitypolice says: Oct 11, 2013 12:21 PM

He can say what he wants, but he is obviously the De Facto coordinator there already, and if they don’t give him the actual position for next season, he will go to a team that will.

These guys are ambitious by their nature, and he’s not going to turn down a promotion, nor should he, despite how “lucky” he may or not be to be back in the league at all.

2. blacknole08 says: Oct 11, 2013 12:26 PM

The Bucs should have a vacancy soon. Plus it would set up a storyline having to face the Saints 2x a year.

3. tennesseeoilers says: Oct 11, 2013 12:45 PM

If the Titans lose Gregg Williams, it’s going to be devastating for our defense next year–unless his protégé gets fired by the Lions and we get Jim Schwartz back as our defensive coordinator.

4. phukurmouf says: Oct 11, 2013 12:49 PM

Guys my hero having kept the vikings from sniffing their first superbowl appearance in the last half century!

5. usmutts says: Oct 11, 2013 1:05 PM

G. Williams let his mouth overload his brain while he was being recorded. That’s his only crime. The “bounty scandal” was fabricated by Goodell out of “evidence” that was for the most part non-existent and often simply fabricated. The whole affair was nothing more than Goodell’s effort to manufacture favorable publicity for the pending concussion case.

I wish Williams well. Goodell not so much.

6. hor2012 says: Oct 11, 2013 1:18 PM

Great coach. But, in my mind he cost us a whole year to save his skin.

7. wikipediasaidso says: Oct 11, 2013 1:18 PM

I thought the Titans gave Williams an Assistant head coach title, but maybe it was just “Senior Assistant coach”.

But really, for all practical purposes, taking a DC job somewhere else is pretty much a lateral move, although certainly someone could throw a lot of money at him for that.

He was actually welcomed back in TN despite his baggage, because local fans were still loyal to him from his first stint with the team. I’m not sure fans of other teams would embrace him as easily, post-bounty gate. (Although some fans never bought into the “Williams is Satan” hype.)

Is anyone willing to give him a HC job? Unless that happens, I give the Titans a decent chance of keeping him around (provided Munchak still has a job here next year), even if it’s in the same role as this year.

8. stillabillsfan says: Oct 11, 2013 1:32 PM

Williams and Jerry Gray worked together in Buffalo, but in the reverse order on the heirarchy (Gray worked for Williams, I think as a DB coach.) They are both good coaches.

9. shaundolphinsfan23 says: Oct 11, 2013 1:37 PM

The fact that this guy is even allowed in the NFL is ridiculous. He paid players to hurt opposing players. That’s probably the worst thing you could ever do in the game of football. Classless and unsportsmanlike, but whatever, let’s just give him a job he doesn’t deserve, right?

10. 4thqtrsaint says: Oct 11, 2013 1:39 PM

Is that Greg Williams in the picture or Mickey Rourke?

11. dodohead418 says: Oct 11, 2013 3:02 PM

I would promote him if I were The Titans because his defensive schemes keep the opponent’s offensive coordinator up at night!

12. sarcasm says: Oct 11, 2013 3:45 PM

Grow up

13. shaundolphinsfan23 says: Oct 11, 2013 3:53 PM

sarcasm says:
    Oct 11, 2013 3:45 PM
    “Doesn’t deserve to be coaching football in any level. Is that better to meet your 3rd grade filter?”

—————

What does this even mean?

14. mn2long says: Oct 11, 2013 4:45 PM

hor2012 says:

Great coach. But, in my mind he cost us a whole year to save his skin.

He also GAVE you a SB championship. They don’t beat the Vikings in that game with another coordinator. He motivated those guys to play their hearts out for him that whole season. Most fans would trade one bad year for a SB

15. axespray says: Oct 12, 2013 2:18 AM

I was at the Packer/Titans game last year….
    We weren’t even trying and Ryan Grant was walking 15-20 yards for the easiest touchdowns in his career.

The Titan’s d had absolutely no fight from what I saw (my team’s D was 32nd two years ago, but they at least blitzed/got takeaways), so to see ‘em putting in work and effort – whatever, Gregg is a good coach.

16. pabrownsfan says: Oct 12, 2013 11:22 AM

There could be openings in Pittsburgh shortly.

17. dodohead418 says: Oct 13, 2013 10:59 AM

Gregg will love our young LBs bet he is foaming at the mouth!