No practice for Antonio Cromartie on Friday

New York Jets v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie left Thursday’s practice for a date with an MRI machine after he injured his knee, leaving his status for Sunday’s game with the Steelers in doubt.

Coach Rex Ryan called it a “hold your breath type” of deal but the Jets were able to exhale once they got word that Cromartie was diagnosed with a hyper-extended knee. Cromartie did not practice on Friday and Dennis Waszak of the Associated Press reports that Ryan said it would be a Sunday decision about whether or not the Jets will have Cromartie in the lineup.

If Cromartie can’t go, the Jets will be very thin at cornerback. Dee Milliner was ruled out for the second straight week because of a hamstring injury (as was wide receiver Santonio Holmes) leaving Kyle Wilson and Darrin Walls to hold down the fort in the event Cromartie joins Milliner on the sideline.

The Jets also listed tight end Kellen Winslow as doubtful after he missed practice Friday. Ryan said Winslow’s absence was excused, but didn’t get into specifics outside of saying that it wasn’t because of his chronic knee issues.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “No practice for Antonio Cromartie on Friday”
  1. crownofthehelmet says: Oct 11, 2013 2:09 PM

That stinks. I hope he plays.

-Steeler Fans everywhere

2. Joemontanaflacco says: Oct 11, 2013 2:16 PM

I think it’s cruel to toy with Steelers’ fans this way. They should prepare themselves for 0-5.

3. alexb1234 says: Oct 11, 2013 2:30 PM

jets should just sit cromartie for this game and save him for new england if he isn’t at least 80% – no need to risk him the steelers suck anyway

4. Deb says: Oct 11, 2013 3:23 PM

After watching the Jets/Falcons game, I’m still trying to figure out why so many of my fellow Steeler fans have characterized this game as a given for us. Nothing is a given for us. Hate to say it, but I agree with alexb1234. If his health is in doubt, I’d save him for New England, too. It’s unlikely the Steelers offense will present much of a threat.

I’m fully confident the Rooneys will commit to ensuring my Steelers will rebound from this mess. But I doubt much can be done this season.

5. kremis says: Oct 11, 2013 3:25 PM

One practice? Really? Heck, we play like we never practiced all year, -signed the Steeler players

6. greenmtnboy31 says: Oct 11, 2013 3:44 PM

This is what happens when he keeps trying to avoid contact.

7. steelerben says: Oct 11, 2013 4:00 PM

Well, if he doesn’t play that should mean that there will be open Steeler receivers. If Ben can shrug off three defenders that were immediately in the backfield he should be able to throw to them.

8. laxcoach37 says: Oct 11, 2013 4:45 PM

Who cares if his Knee is damaged? He only needs his Hands to play… This guy is a bum and literally Holds on every Play. If I was a Ref, I would just get a Flag with an elastic cord attached to my belt. Not a Fan of either Team, but the Stteelers are due and will Win. The Jets are frauds and barely beat 3 bad teams and lost to both Wiining revord Teams.

9. lrjets says: Oct 12, 2013 4:29 AM

laxcoach37 says:
    Oct 11, 2013 4:45 PM
    ________________________________

Obviously the Jets have a space in your head even though “you don’t care”.
    I notice that while you are some sort of G.M., spelling has defeated you.

10. Joemontanaflacco says: Oct 12, 2013 9:34 AM

How’d the Steelers go from 2.5 point favorites to 1 point underdogs in less than a week?Instead of practice, does this team go out to the firin range and shoot itself in the foot? I don’t get it. Maybe because the Pirates got Tebowed out of the playoffs? This team is supposed to retool after a bye week, not sink deeper into the sewer. Can anyone explain what’s happening to this hapless franchise? It’s not like they had any major injuries. I guess the fan base is disintegrating. That’s pretty obvious from the comments. Steeler Nation is breaking apart and the fans are flocking to the other teams, including even the Redskins. Nothing worse than being winless.

11. crownofthehelmet says: Oct 12, 2013 9:57 AM

jmf, your entire fan base started out by flocking from another team.

12. laxcoach37 says: Oct 12, 2013 11:21 AM

@IrJets (aka Spell Checker)

Maybe your Mom will buy you an iPad for Christmas and you will discover it is not a Spelling issue. Nonetheless, your professional journalism skills are suspect because you quoted me on a statement I never made. I do care…. “That the Jets Lose”.