Ndamukong Suh loses appeal of $100,000 fine

Ndamukong Suh AP

Ndamukong Suh’s $100,000 fine has been upheld.

Suh’s agent, Roosevelt Barnes, told the Associated Press he was informed on Friday that Suh has lost his appeal.

That doesn’t come as any major surprise, considering that Suh is a repeat offender and many people thought he should have been suspended for his low block to the knee of Vikings center John Sullivan in Week One.

Still, Suh was fined far more than other players have been for illegal blocks and likely argued that his fine was out of proportion to the NFL’s typical punishments. At the time the fine was handed down, it was the largest fine in NFL history for an on-field hit, although a week later Buccaneers safety Dashon Goldson was also given a $100,000 fine for an illegal hit.

According to the Associated Press, on-field misconduct has cost Suh a total of $342,794 in fines and lost salary in his career.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
40 Responses to “Ndamukong Suh loses appeal of $100,000 fine”
  1. bennyb82 says: Oct 12, 2013 7:46 AM

I bet they saw an appeal with Suh’s name and did not even read it before tossing it.

2. 2ndaryinsanity says: Oct 12, 2013 7:47 AM

Suh has been fined $ 342,794 in his career. And how many millions has he made? 50 million? 60 million? Or even a lot more? The point is these fines are no deterrent at all. Start suspending repeat offenders. That will at least put a bigger dent in their wallets and coaches might actually make their players act right.

3. theflyingtad says: Oct 12, 2013 7:50 AM

Half of Suh’s on-the-field problems result from his post game comments.

“God knows I didn’t stomp that man”
    “Sullivan knows I wasn’t trying to hurt him”
    -psuedo quotes

Reasonable people can tell that his intentions and his statements are conflicting. He has lost, at the very least, the perception of integrity and will never get a benefit of doubt for the rest of his career.

4. faulkn22 says: Oct 12, 2013 7:54 AM

That $342,000 is partly due to hair tackles (Barber) and shoves (Cutler) which are completely legal. Even this fine is arguable, because the amount is based on his “history” and I don’t agree with all of the fines from his past. I’m not defending his stomps or crotch shots, but lets be honest with ourselves, its a witch hunt. He is the poster boy, and they have to look like they’re taking safety seriously.

It will really be a joke when they try to fine him a million dollars for something like a hair tackle or shove. Maybe that is what it will take for folks to see just how ridiculous this is getting. I think the union will be singing a different song then.

5. orivar says: Oct 12, 2013 8:08 AM

“He has lost, at the very least, the perception of integrity and will never get a benefit of doubt for the rest of his career.”

When it comes to this game and the type of people that watch it, the last thing I’m going to care about is public perception. In short, public perception is stupid perception.

6. toonzes says: Oct 12, 2013 8:14 AM

that should make EVERYONE at PFT very happy.

7. hottubtodd says: Oct 12, 2013 8:14 AM

The NFL should burn his house down.

8. denverdude7 says: Oct 12, 2013 8:18 AM

The next incident, and we all know there will be a next incident involving Suh, should result in a 16 game suspension.

Fines have no effect on this man. Short suspensions have no effect either. The time has come to make a clear statement ad stop this type of player before he realy does serious harm to someone.

9. huhsj says: Oct 12, 2013 8:30 AM

I am thinking they had a tough time making this decision. If not, then I have no idea what took them so long to come to a decision.

10. zn0rseman says: Oct 12, 2013 8:41 AM

He should have been suspended, yes, but the league is helping Detroit to win this year so they didn’t.

11. grumpyoleman says: Oct 12, 2013 8:42 AM

Dude was hustling and tried to make a good block. Get over it people.

12. otis52gsh says: Oct 12, 2013 9:15 AM

He painted the target on his own back with his stupid actions. I hope he gets banned for life someday. All you lovers of this clown can continue to defend him, and you can have that cheap shot on your team too. Players who understand and respect the game admit they made a stupid play or poor judgement. He will always be the lowlife who stomped a player on national TV and denied it to the world. If it’s a witch hunt, I will bring the wood and fuel.

13. legeisyaj says: Oct 12, 2013 9:18 AM

There’s always a player or two in every generation that is like this. No excuse, Suh is a less-than legal player, so he gets what he should get for fines. But at some point an actual suspension should come.

14. bmoreravens1012013 says: Oct 12, 2013 9:19 AM

He got fined a brand new house.

15. blackhawks2010 says: Oct 12, 2013 9:27 AM

Could you imagine my fines?

-Dick Butkus

16. dbarnes67 says: Oct 12, 2013 9:35 AM

Such a meanie, has ended so many careers [0], has caused so many to miss games [0] and never even causes an offensive player to be flagged for holding. The NFL has become a caricature of the game with the pitch and catch at all costs. Crotch kick was only possible because of the manner in which he was being dragged to the ground. I could care less about the fines, but the flags on legal plays and the officials ignoring the constant holds are hurting my team.

17. faulkn22 says: Oct 12, 2013 9:41 AM

Barnes, thank you for having common sense.

18. lpd1964 says: Oct 12, 2013 10:15 AM

Starts with the Head Coach, he’s a boob, what do you expect? Schwartz embraces this type of play.

19. Patriot42 says: Oct 12, 2013 10:30 AM

The conduct of the Lions in general falls on the owner. Since the Lions are a habitual loser throughout the years he probably is enjoying their attitude.

20. hyzers says: Oct 12, 2013 10:50 AM

You forgot to mention Suh is ranked as the #1 DT this year by PFF.

21. nikkodawg says: Oct 12, 2013 11:00 AM

Very generous of him to donate all that money to charity.

22. f0rem4n says: Oct 12, 2013 11:29 AM

If Suh played on another team (Packers, Bears…) I’d hate him too. I’d also pile on just like many of the “commentators” here.

He plays for my team though, and is dominant. So suck it, and continue to mask your jealousy with this BS.

This year Suh has made a questionable block on a hustle play. THAT IS IT. Oh one time he hit Cutler in the back of the head (neck?) on a tackle, kicked a crotch while rolling (dirty, but really?), and the infamous stomp (the one play clearly over the line).

He didn’t punch someone, in fact has never been involved in a fight after the play in the NFL. He simply plays with a mean streak.

As a Lion fan I never want that to change. As a Packer or Bear fan I’d be crying too.

Bring on those tears, I love to read the crying on these articles. Detroit will keep bringing the heat on your QBs.

Eat it it, Detroit Lions – the new “motor city bad boys”. Time to embrace it.

23. bsizemore68 says: Oct 12, 2013 11:58 AM

Once a fool, always a fool, and this will stay with him as long as he is in the game. The NFL is not serious about this conduct and we all know that, money means nothing to the million dollar player, now suspends one for 6 games and then the owner and coach will do something about it. Bill

24. suhmonster90 says: Oct 12, 2013 12:15 PM

I can’t believe his one action on Thanksgiving a couple years ago has led to all this.

The guy hasn’t been “dirty” since that play, at all.

Keep combing through every game with that fine toothed comb though PFT, I love those articles “well we have looked at every Lions defensive snap, and have found that Suh actually wasn’t a monster sent from hell to kill offensive players today”

25. 2ndaryinsanity says: Oct 12, 2013 12:34 PM

@suhmonster….Matt Schaub’s balls would disagree

26. dumplingsrbrown says: Oct 12, 2013 12:38 PM

f0rem4n says: Oct 12, 2013 11:29 AM

He plays for my team though, and is dominant. So suck it, and continue to mask your jealousy with this BS…..
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That is a naïve excuse. No one is here bashing Megatron or Stafford or Fairley for that manner.

Suh’s on the field behavior and unwillingness to accept any responsibility for his actions is why so may people view him as a piece of trash.

27. rl7911 says: Oct 12, 2013 12:41 PM

Suh is by far one of the best defensive players in the league and would make an team instantly better. Each week we see fines for head shots and much more serious hits, I’m not sure why this is that big of a deal. It was a low block on a hustle play, hardly that big of deal. Suh’s never hurt anyone, give it up.

28. ivanpavlov0000 says: Oct 12, 2013 12:51 PM

If Suh ways the same as a duck, then he’s a witch and should be burned at the stake.

29. jonbeck316 says: Oct 12, 2013 1:41 PM

It makes sense that he should lose the appeal. He is a very unappealing human being

30. 26predator says: Oct 12, 2013 2:16 PM

Some of you act like you have never watched football before.

Illegal or not, that same block is made multiple times across the NFL every Sunday. Where’s the outrage on those?

If an illegal hit was going to draw a six figure fine, it should have been Warren Sapp’s hit on Chad Clifton.

31. elwaysmilehighdenver says: Oct 12, 2013 2:27 PM

2ndaryinsanity….You are wrong sir.
    Matt Schaub is a wuss. He doesn’t have any BALLS. Ask his fellow Texan teammates.

32. rickc402 says: Oct 12, 2013 2:28 PM

Pay in pennies!

33. blackhawks2010 says: Oct 12, 2013 2:28 PM

I apologize for the Dick Butkus reference, he’s a Hall of Fame player and deserves not to be referenced here…..

34. jcbadger34 says: Oct 12, 2013 3:05 PM

f0rem4n says: Oct 12, 2013 11:29 AM

……

—————–

Oh man, am I jealous of the Lions. I sure wish my Packers had a 20+ year losing streak in Detroit. And oh man, those Lions sure brought the heat on Rodgers last week! Just dominating!

35. chi01town says: Oct 12, 2013 3:14 PM

Thats right make him PAY!! they should have threw him out for 8 games too. Suh is a scumb bag and he’s always trying his best to hurt other players. One of these games Suh will pull some dirt on the wrong player then a real fight will break out. Most bully type people cant fight. NO REAL HEART

36. lawrencemercado says: Oct 12, 2013 3:16 PM

theflyingtad says:
    Oct 12, 2013 7:50 AM
    Half of Suh’s on-the-field problems result from his post game comments.

“God knows I didn’t stomp that man”
    “Sullivan knows I wasn’t trying to hurt him”
    -psuedo quotes

——————–

Psuedo quotes, LOL! Pseudo quotes for a psuedo man! That is hilarious.

Anyway, yes you guys are right. Instead of fining him next time, they need to suspend him. Suspend him for half the year. Suspend him for the whole year. Hell, the guy never learns from his mistakes. And his attitude and the fact that he never takes accountability is the reason why people hate his ass so much. If you’d actually own up to your wrongdoings like a real man, I think people would have a ton more respect for you. Suh, I think you’re a great athlete, but you’re a terrible human being.

But who am I to talk? I’m not a 6’4″, 300lb lardo that gets paid millions of dollars.

37. f0rem4n says: Oct 12, 2013 3:22 PM

jcbadger34 says: Oct 12, 2013 3:05

…Im not looking to take away from your win, but if you don’t think your QB was under pressure the whole game, we must have been watching different games.

See you turkey day – with a healthy Megatron.

Dont worry about tossing in the super bowls won argument. Its what good team’s fans do all the time when their team is down.

38. lawyermalloy says: Oct 12, 2013 5:18 PM

Most of the players,if asked, would tell you the fines are meaningless, but “don’t take away my game checks”. Suspend this “animal” for a few games and maybe he’ll get the message.

39. tokyosandblaster says: Oct 12, 2013 9:49 PM