Panthers dominate Vikings 35-10

Carolina Panthers v Minnesota Vikings Getty Images

A week ago, if you’d have suggested to many Panthers fans that Derek Anderson would have replaced Cam Newton, some of them (OK, the insane ones) might have taken you up on it.

But Sunday, Anderson was just the victory cigar, coming in to finish the fourth quarter of a ridiculous 35-10 win over the Vikings.

Coupled with the 38-0 thrashing of the Giants, the Panthers now have a pair of big wins against teams with a combined 1-10 record.

The Panthers did everything according to plan. They ran well (fullback Mike Tolbert scored a pair of touchdowns), played good defense, and Cam Newton didn’t make mistakes. That’s a solid plan.They should do it more often.

Newton finished the day 20-of-26 for 242 yards and three touchdowns, for a quarterback rating of 143.4.

Meanwhile, the Vikings were a mess in every imaginable way. With Josh Freeman watching the game in street clothes, (for now) starting quarterback Matt Cassel threw a pair of interceptions, and never looked like the efficient guy who turned up in London.

The Panthers sold out to stop the run, and while Adrian Peterson had 62 yards on 10 carries (half coming on one 31-yard run), the hole was too deep, too soon to rely on him.

Permalink 72 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
72 Responses to “Panthers dominate Vikings 35-10”
  1. thundastormz says: Oct 13, 2013 4:03 PM

So much for AP “going off”. Karma.

2. arwiv says: Oct 13, 2013 4:07 PM

If Frazier has any plans whatsoever of coaching next year, he better make sure freeman is starting next week.

3. realfootballfan says: Oct 13, 2013 4:09 PM

Like I said when some Viking fans were calling for Cassell when Ponder was struggling, you do realize that he went 2-14 a year ago on a team that’s promptly gone to 6-0 a year later once they replaced him, don’t you?

4. banlarson says: Oct 13, 2013 4:10 PM

3-13 to 10-6 t0 1-15? Gonna get ugly before it gets better. The only question now is will Wilf fire Frazier and his pathetic staff now or wait until they lose to the 0-6 Giants on Monday Night.

That defense would make some college teams look good….come on man tackle someone, shoulder dips and arms don’t get it done in the NFL.

5. glennsyank13 says: Oct 13, 2013 4:12 PM

It’s just so easy for Peterson to get 100 yard games. Wait, what?

6. packerfansarefat says: Oct 13, 2013 4:14 PM

If you need any further proof that this coaching staff must go (other than the offensive and defensive schemes)….look no further than the fact that they CONTINUE to roll out something called Marcus Sherels as our punt return threat as we watch C Pattterson sit on the sideline. Ziggy: Look at what a proven staff change can do for a football team (San Francisco, Kansas City). AGAIN< PROVEN STAFF!!!!!

7. thepvyharvin says: Oct 13, 2013 4:14 PM

Don’t know if I have ever been more disgusted with the Vikings. Things will NOT change until……1) Fire Frazier. Nice guy but as animated as a cactus. Team taking on his demeanor. 2) Musgrave sucks. My daughter could call a better game from a xbox 360 joy stick. 3) Alan Williams must go. We have the worst D on the planet. Embarrassing… 4) Get Freeman in, Cassel is what Chiefs fans said he was. See if Freeman can play. Deal Ponder for a pack of gum and draft the best qb we can get .

8. bobnelsonjr says: Oct 13, 2013 4:18 PM

Typical vikings performance.

Lots of boasting before the game.

Little performance in the game.

9. packerenglishmajor says: Oct 13, 2013 4:25 PM

I’m sure the lack of points can be pinned on Ponder somehow.

Musgrave is Chili .2!
    Must go!

Frazier is clueless, pinned in the headlights.
    Leslie, look up the Peter Principle, you’re living it.
    There is no excuse for a defensive mind (Frazier???) to field a defensive backfield that porous.

Clean out the coaching staff!
    Most of the parts for a team arethere.
    These clowns can not put a team or a plan together.

10. golforepar says: Oct 13, 2013 4:31 PM

At least Jennings had a great game! The 9 million paid is worth every penny, since he lit up the Panthers for 34 yards!

11. jokendave says: Oct 13, 2013 4:32 PM

Pease tell me again how Cassels better than Ponder, cause I sure didn’t see that today. Ponder would have given us a better chance to win. At least Ponder never gave up. And I saw that from Cassel and our D-line. I hope when Freeman starts Ponders the back up. (Hold clipboard like Rodgers need too for a couple of years) And then cut Cassel. I knew at the beginning of the week his career was over when he said about the acquisition of Josh, “I am not surprise, I have seen a lot in my 9 years” Ponder said, “I just have to get better.” That’s the difference between someone just playing the game and someone who wants to play the game. My opinion, Go Vikes!!

12. f1restarter says: Oct 13, 2013 4:32 PM

Love the result of this game. Vikings humiliated at home again. All other NFC North teams win, and the Vikings are making themselves at home in the division basement.

Oh, and that 2500 yards rushing AP promised? How’s that working out?

13. wearethesteelers says: Oct 13, 2013 4:34 PM

Where was Peterson? LOL

14. jokendave says: Oct 13, 2013 4:34 PM

Also, Musgrave! Find some different plays. You know, Surprise them some. It might work. Be creative. At least till they fire you.

15. gb4mn0 says: Oct 13, 2013 4:35 PM

HaHaHaHaHaHaHa! All you purple twit’s predicting a record performance and a big win forgot that your team in the Minnysoda vikqueens.

Meanwhile the 13 time NFL Champion Green Bay Packers go into the defending SB Champion’s house and get a big win. HaHaHa

Sucks to be you!

16. sillec28 says: Oct 13, 2013 4:38 PM

I hope the Vikes aren’t counting heavily on Freeman saving them. He’ll look great at times and awful at times but overall he’s not even close to being an excellent starting QB.

17. deltaoracle says: Oct 13, 2013 4:42 PM

Soft.

18. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 13, 2013 4:48 PM

Everyone intuitively understands the hapless label. And now today everyone understands the tasteless label.

These are your MN Vikings.

19. wheezerswin says: Oct 13, 2013 4:50 PM

To quote one of the many horrible Viking coaches…”the vikings are who we thought they were!” Where are all the queen fans who thought this was their year. It will never, and I mean ever, be their year.

20. 2difshoe says: Oct 13, 2013 4:50 PM

I am sure AP poor running game was a result of the emotional loss of his son, unlike the poor decision to leave his son laying in the hospital on his death bed.

21. otis52gsh says: Oct 13, 2013 4:50 PM

I thought Greg said the Vikings were a team on the rise? Did I hear him wrong? He did so much talking this past offseason I thought the SB was already theirs. Wonder what he has to say now. Let’s hear some more smack talk Greg, or maybe your sister has more to say. HA HA HA. GO BEARS!!!

22. teal379 says: Oct 13, 2013 4:54 PM

golforepar says: Oct 13, 2013 4:31 PM

He’s averaging 42 yards a game. That from a guy who believed he was worth 15 million a year entering the off season this year.

Yep – it’s the Packers who are brain washed, not Greg.

23. earlcampbellrules says: Oct 13, 2013 4:55 PM

The Vikes might have the worst defense in the NFL. Frazier needs to be fired tomorrow. Need a new coach, a new G.M, and a new QB asap. Start from scratch. Awful team.

24. wearethesteelers says: Oct 13, 2013 4:57 PM

That’s what Peterson gets. We laugh in his face.

25. arrowgargantuan says: Oct 13, 2013 5:00 PM

The Vikings are pretty good.

26. jimmysee says: Oct 13, 2013 5:03 PM

We hear year-in and year-out from Skol-heads around here how the Packers are finished and the Vikings are heading to the Superbowl, for sure.

I have no doubt that’s true — maybe in 2028 or so.

Maybe.

Probably not.

27. GenXJay says: Oct 13, 2013 5:04 PM

wearethesteelers,
    I can accept this lost. It seems you haven’t & forgot your ability in London. LOLOLOLOL.

28. whatjusthapped says: Oct 13, 2013 5:07 PM

To the objective observer, the Vikings won a ton of games last year that they shouldn’t have won so this year is more like a regression back to the mean.

The Vikings defense is their biggest problem. They can’t stop the run, they fare worse against the pass and in this game, they didn’t even have a chance to blow a 4th Qtr. lead.

The Qb situation is a joke. Cassell was never a very good back up much less starter, Ponder was at best a 3rd or 4th round developmental qB, not #12 overall, and Freeman is the answer only if the question is, “Who should be the next Love Boat captain?”

29. truvikingfan says: Oct 13, 2013 5:07 PM

Honestly, while being called hapless and tasteless by certain elements on this blog, it’s hard to argue with it, although my taste buds work perfectly.

There are far too many mistakes and problem areas to point out, and summing it up in “fire Frazier” doesn’t even begin to surmise the issues with this team.

As a lifelong Vikings fan, I will continue to support my team, as I am sure many of you green and gold followers did before the Favre era began. As a lifelong fan, and someone who has spent money on this team, I do have a right to moan and complain, so here goes.

The only step to begin a solution, right now, as I see it, is the immediate dismissal of Musgrave and Williams. Frazier should follow towards the end of the year, only because the Vikings won’t get a top quality coach in week 6. The defensive scheme needs to be ANYTHING other than this worn out cover 2 crap, and I mean anything. The person calling offensive plays needs to understand the concept of 20+ yard plays! complete or not (that does not include picks). Having a QB capable of throwing that far, and understanding ball placement is key. (Duh!).

Fire Musgrave! Fire Williams!

30. dcviking says: Oct 13, 2013 5:16 PM

wearethesteelers says: Oct 13, 2013 4:57 PM

That’s what Peterson gets. We laugh in his face.
    ————————————–

Yeah after the pitiful effort turned in by the Vikings today, it would really stink if they beat your team…

31. vikingsftw says: Oct 13, 2013 5:20 PM

Someone whisper to that dolt Fraser that “Suck for Luck” was supposed to be last year. He’s not in collage anymore. Epic Fail of a coach..please fire this bum ASAP!

32. pack13queens0 says: Oct 13, 2013 5:23 PM

Poor Adrian Peterson. He failed at being a father & now his whole team fails at playing football. It’s a great week when the Queens are the only team to lose.

33. thatswhatimsayin says: Oct 13, 2013 5:25 PM

I know you get sat on the sideline for missing team meetings. Cordarelle must be missing a lot of meetings

34. icecubeusedtobeangry says: Oct 13, 2013 5:27 PM

You guys are idiots.

35. icecubeusedtobeangry says: Oct 13, 2013 5:28 PM

Did you just say that’s what Peterson gets? I hope you get hit by a truck.

36. perry82581 says: Oct 13, 2013 5:29 PM

Let’s look at games after the bye week for Leslie Fraizer:

2011 — LOSS at Green Bay 45-7
    2012 — LOSS at Chicago 28-10
    2013 — LOSS vs Carolina 35-10

That means the head coach has to go.

37. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Oct 13, 2013 5:31 PM

That game was excruciating (Packer fans – that means painful) to watch. Every drive was 15 plays, 10 minutes, touchdown. I cheered when they got a 70-yard touchdown because I was happy I didn’t have to spend another 40 minutes watching them drive inexorably down the field. I don’t know how this defense got so bad so fast, but it is terrible. I don’t know who they need more, Teddy Bridgewater or Jadeveon Clowney, but they’ll have their choice of either one.

38. vikingsftw says: Oct 13, 2013 5:35 PM

Leslie Fraser (Coach?; Minesota Viking): “Playoffs? Don’t talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I’m just hoping we can win a game, another game.”

39. deltaoracle says: Oct 13, 2013 5:38 PM

Not as a Packer fan but as a human being I am sickened by anyone who uses the tragic murder of a child as a springboard to go off on Peterson. Absolutely horrible. Shame.

40. vikingsftw says: Oct 13, 2013 5:46 PM

The Panthers are what we thought they were. They’re what we thought they were. We didn’t play them in preseason — but, who the hell cares about that BS! We played them for less then one quarter — everybody on the other team played four quarters — the Panthers are who we thought they were! That’s why we took the damn field. Now if you want to crown them, then crown their @ss! But they are who we thought they were! And we let ‘em off the hook!

41. f1restarter says: Oct 13, 2013 5:46 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says:
    Oct 13, 2013 5:31 PM
    —————————
    I would say Teddy Thompson.

42. 6kingswest says: Oct 13, 2013 5:49 PM

anytime anywhere mcfilthy… lets you and me settle this…GIRLFRIEND!

43. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Oct 13, 2013 5:55 PM

perry82581 says:Oct 13, 2013 5:29 PM

Let’s look at games after the bye week for Leslie Fraizer:

2011 — LOSS at Green Bay 45-7
    2012 — LOSS at Chicago 28-10
    2013 — LOSS vs Carolina 35-10

That means the head coach has to go.
    _______

That is really interesting. There’s a lot of coaching that goes into coming out of the bye ready to play and this staff has clearly failed. I really like Leslie Frazier and I hate that he isn’t succeeding, but it looks like we’re going to have to move on.

44. banlarson says: Oct 13, 2013 5:55 PM

The problem with Frazier and his offensive and defensive schemes is they are predicated on dominant line play, of which we have none on either side of the ball. Our mediocre QBs are under pressure, our defense can get no pressure. No holes for the running game and no ability to stop the run means we just have a REALLY boring unproductive offense and an even worse defense.

Time for major changes. Allen is a luxury we can’t afford, figure out a way to sign and trade him, maybe get a 2nd round pick from a contender, start playing the rookies to at least get them more experience for the future. Open up the playbook and do something surprising for a change.

45. icecubeusedtobeangry says: Oct 13, 2013 6:02 PM

pack13queens0 I have your IP….would you like to know what it is? I would be happy to post it.

46. urcrap says: Oct 13, 2013 6:31 PM

What a dolt you are.

47. truvikingfan says: Oct 13, 2013 6:44 PM

Thank you Delta…..it’s about time someone said that!

48. nickynick04 says: Oct 13, 2013 7:05 PM

Hey where is Pervy harvin or whatever his name is……Its not even fun to bust on the Vikes…
    they are bad…enough said

49. gb4mn0 says: Oct 13, 2013 7:08 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Oct 13, 2013 5:31 PM

—————————————————-

WoW! /

50. zo121179 says: Oct 13, 2013 7:37 PM

AP just didn’t look like he wanted to be there. (Either did Matt cassel).

If you’re not going to be there in the head then it’s best for your TEAM to stay at home and be with your family.

Sounds like bad decision making all around.

51. taintedsaints2009 says: Oct 13, 2013 7:37 PM

The reason Vikings fans called for cassel is not because he is good but because he is far better than ponder. No Vikings fan is surprised by this outcome with cassel. Freeman will start next week. We will see what that brings, I suppose. Just add him to the long list of Vikings starting quarterbacks.

If freeman cannot spark something, get ready for every veteran over the age of 25 to be dealt for picks. that would be the smart thing to do.

I don’t see this team doing anything now that Harrison smith and Rhodes are out. Do they have any more corners?

1-15 looks likely.

52. packerenglishmajor says: Oct 13, 2013 7:39 PM

Obviously Frazier is playing for the #1 draft pick.

Why doesn’t he get that he won’t be around to enjoy it.

New Coaching staff please!

53. taintedsaints2009 says: Oct 13, 2013 7:44 PM

Don’t understand the posts saying that the Vikings fans were saying this team was a contender and was going to win the NFC north. besides a couple diehards, I don’t know any Vikings fan who think this team will win another game this year.

Oh, and very nice of those of you to slam Adrian Peterson for having a bad day…you know, after his child dies two days ago. Very nice.

54. taintedsaints2009 says: Oct 13, 2013 7:50 PM

Dang…I just remembered the Vikings had two weeks to prepare for this game…wow.

55. ajalpha1s says: Oct 13, 2013 7:55 PM

stop talking about the qb situation lets talk about the real mess on this team and that’s that pathetic defense worst i have ever seen as a vikings fan

56. ajalpha1s says: Oct 13, 2013 7:57 PM

if they keep playing this tampa 2 cover 2 defense after this season i promise you i will become a packers fan

57. tokyosandblaster says: Oct 13, 2013 8:04 PM

I really was pulling for Peterson and the Vikes today. I don’t care that he got some girl pregnant and didn’t know he had a kid out there. Losing that child trumps all. As a father, I can’t imagine losing my daughter at the bands of some adult who can’t control his emotions.

I hope he can pull through this tragedy.

58. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 13, 2013 9:40 PM

What a delightful weekend of football!

59. vikesfansteve says: Oct 13, 2013 10:15 PM

Swiss cheese D. It’s a win/win season. Now we are done with the Ponder experiment and Fraizer, Musgrave and Williams and Pagac are all gone too. A good coaching staff can turn a team around in 1 year like the 49ers and Chiefs and Texans D 2 seasons back.

60. okemon says: Oct 13, 2013 10:25 PM

after the game, I swore I saw a fat lady singing.

61. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Oct 13, 2013 11:25 PM

okemon says:Oct 13, 2013 10:25 PM

after the game, I swore I saw a fat lady singing.
    ______

That was your wife.

62. hotwings4u says: Oct 14, 2013 12:10 AM

Frazier at best is a defensive backs coach on another team. He knows he is not head coach material. The team just rallied around him because they were tired of Childress who is one of the worst coaches ever.

What Frazier should have done is create his own defensive scheme/trademark and kept Darrell Bevell as offensive coordinator. You cant use hand-me-down Cover 2 principles and expect to thrive. The league catches up to every scheme. You have to stay ahead of the curve every year.

Look at teams like New England. Win every year because they have a consistent quarterback and head coach

63. teamnorsecore says: Oct 14, 2013 12:22 AM

tokyosandblaster says:
    Oct 13, 2013 8:04 PM

I hope he can pull through this tragedy.
    …………
    Very nice comment. Best one I have seen from you in quite some time.

64. packerfanfordecades says: Oct 14, 2013 12:46 AM

I guess it should feel good to see a division rival fall apart like this. But, it doesn’t feel that good. It’s a sad thing.

It’s been said many times before during this year and in prior years but I’ll repeat it —> what a shame that a talent like Adrian Peterson never made it to the big game. I think he was one 12-men-on-the-field penalty away from it. Shucks.
    Well, his team won’t be in the Super Bowl this year either and that takes just a little more tread off the prime of Adrian’s career.

I’ll be cheering for the Pack during the two Viking games this year. I wouldn’t mind if the Vikes cure a few things before then to make those games competitive. Ponder really lit up our defensive secondary in that one game last year.

65. allday2k says: Oct 14, 2013 1:00 AM

The offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator should have been fired a long time ago. I don’t understand how these scrubs still have jobs.

Leslie needs to take control of this coaching staff if Spielman won’t fire them. If he can’t show that kind of leadership, than he isn’t head coach material. (Which I hate to have to say because he is the only one of this coaching staff I can stand).

Spielman is good at drafting (except for that wasted 12th overall pick), but if he can’t see that these coordinators suck when it is apparent to everybody else, then he needs to go too.

66. 2ruefan says: Oct 14, 2013 1:08 AM

OK Now.
    All you Ponder haters/Cassel Lovers done now?

To quote a famous coach.. He IS what we THOUGHT he was.

Wildly inconsistent, career back-up.

Ponder on his WORST day would have done better than that.

67. allday420ap says: Oct 14, 2013 2:53 AM

after the game, I swore I saw a fat lady singing.

-no need to bash the kalil sister

68. stellarperformance says: Oct 14, 2013 7:55 AM

I think the Vikings may have been distracted. They know their annual “SuperBowl” is coming up in two weeks.

69. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Oct 14, 2013 8:19 AM

How’s it going, Vike fans?

70. AD2K5 says: Oct 14, 2013 9:33 AM

icecubeusedtobeangry says:Oct 13, 2013 6:02 PM

———-

Let’s calm down everybody. We knew this wasn’t going to be a repeat of last year. We need to see what we have in our young players and get ready for the draft. That’s the deal, let’s accept it and look to the future!

71. johnsticle says: Oct 14, 2013 12:08 PM

It seems like as soon as Cassels job is in jeopardy he stinks the place up. I think that’s what happened. Cassel knew Freeman may replace him soon and he got distracted. Tried too hard to make a better impression. Plus our O Line and defensive secondary played like absolute garbage. Between missed tackles and the fact that none of our defensive backs can catch a ball, it’s a recipe for disaster. Teams know how to beat us now, easy dink and dump plays. We can’t stop em.

72. jgedgar70 says: Oct 14, 2013 12:31 PM

perry82581 says:Oct 13, 2013 5:29 PM

Let’s look at games after the bye week for Leslie Fraizer:

2011 — LOSS at Green Bay 45-7
    2012 — LOSS at Chicago 28-10
    2013 — LOSS vs Carolina 35-10

That means the head coach has to go.
    _______

Trust me, we Panther fans know exactly how you feel.

Let’s look at games after the bye week for Ron Rivera:

2011 — LOSS vs Tennessee 30-3
    2012 — LOSS vs Dallas 19-14
    2013 — LOSS at Arizona 22-6

As a general rule, we win whenever it looks like Rivera will get fired the next day and lose when we don’t, which means the Rams game this week will be interesting to see if we can follow up a win with another one for a change.