Gary Kubiak says it would be “selfish” to be “worried” about his future

Gary Kubiak AP

Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said Monday he’s not dwelling on his job security with Houston off to a 2-4 start.

“No, I don’t worry about myself,” Kubiak said, according to a transcript from the club. “I think I’ve probably been asked that a few times in my eight years. I’ve got a lot of people to worry about, a lot of players, a lot of coaches.

“I think it would be very selfish if I worried about myself, so no I do not.”

According to the Texans’ website, multiple players said Sunday that the team, not its coach, should take the heat for its struggles.

When asked about that idea on Monday, Kubiak said he needed to improve at his job.

“No, I think I can do more. We’ve got to do more. That’s my job,” Kubiak said. “… I’m not doing a good enough of a job right now with them for us to go out there and play the way we’re playing.

“I understand that we have responsibility — coaches, players, everybody — but I always begin with myself.”

Kubiak’s response strikes the right tone as Houston tries to get back into contention after a 2-4 start. His concern for his coaches and players and willingness to take the heat for the disappointment thus far is sensible.

All things considered, it seems like the Texans are saying the right things, and that beats the alternative. Now, their play needs to improve — and quickly.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Gary Kubiak says it would be “selfish” to be “worried” about his future”
  1. assuredmutualdestruction says: Oct 14, 2013 6:43 PM

Wade Phillips will be the head coach starting in 2014. You heard it here first.

2. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Oct 14, 2013 6:50 PM

I have written on here a quite a few times blaming Kubiak for his play calling abilities and saying it was his fault. That said, I feel sour now, words from a man who is dealing with a ton of pressure. He has a great look on it though and this quote is what I like.

“I’m searching. That’s my job. I’ve got to get up there and figure it out, how we play better, how we play cleaner, how we give ourselves a better chance to win. I appreciate the players’ responsibility.”

I always thought Kubiak was a great head coach and just struggled with calling plays. For w/e my opinion is worth. I think he can turn it around and I hope he does. I’m sure he is searching very hard and will keep doing so either way.

3. thegreatgabbert says: Oct 14, 2013 6:51 PM

Gary’s wife on the other hand, would like him to be a bit more selfish and “worry about your future”.

4. riverace19 says: Oct 14, 2013 6:52 PM

Not Wade, he already tried that. At least Kubiak can get a job subbing in for Tommy Lee Jones in Men in Black V.

5. rodd1 says: Oct 14, 2013 7:02 PM

Blah, blah, blah … same old recording Texans fans have heard from Kubiak for 7+ years … along with various versions of “It’s all on me” and “I’ve got to do a better job” … frankly, we’re sick of hearing it

Yeah it is all on you Coach Kubiak … same old predictable offense … same old conservatism … NFL offenses have passed you by coach !!!

Time to act Mr McNair !!!

6. mackcarrington says: Oct 14, 2013 7:05 PM

And he shouldn’t be worried. He knows he can easily get a coordinator gig at the drop of a hat. Heck, he may even get a another shot at a head coaching job before it comes to that.

7. mc1439 says: Oct 14, 2013 7:23 PM

___________________________

And he’ll probably “figure it out” after he’s fired and win multiple super bowls while everyone in Houston goes WTF

8. texanfan62 says: Oct 14, 2013 7:38 PM

Gary Kubiak is a fine person, I have no doubt about that. But, he isn’t a HC. Great Coordinator, but, not a HC. I think if they finish 3-13, 4-12 or 5-11, he’ll be gone. Question is, what about Rick Smith, he’s equally culpable as he has assembled this “great” roster of talent. I didn’t think they had that much talent, compared to 2011. If Schaub hadn’t gotten hurt, they would’ve gone to the Super Bowl. Kevin Sumlin, David Shaw, John Gruden, are some of the name being mentioned for HC. I think they need a Defensive Coach to be the HC. But they need to hire a new GM First, then the HC, not the other way around, like McNair did in 2006.

9. thereyougo2 says: Oct 14, 2013 7:43 PM

Looking at Kubrick along the sideline over the past few years is like watching The Walking Dead. Now his QB has the same look.

10. htowntexan says: Oct 14, 2013 8:53 PM

No need to worry because he knows his job is not dependent on performance. The awful owner cares not what the team does, but only about season tickets sales. Kubiack should have been fired before the end of the day yesterday.

And he ewon’t get another job. Have you seen how bad at he is at play calling?!? Most conservative in the league. Maybe in 1985, but not today.

11. GrossmanDaSexCannon says: Oct 14, 2013 9:10 PM

assuredmutualdestruction says: Oct 14, 2013 6:43 PM

Wade Phillips will be the head coach starting in 2014. You heard it here first.
    ————–

God I hope not. The man is a genius at Defense, and he is only that good when he can give it 100% of his focus. The Offense will suffer and the team will go nowhere. Fire Kubiak, but make sure you keep Wade on at DC. Besides, everyone knows ST coaches make the best HC’s.

Signed,
    Bills fan who’s second team is the Texans.

12. jimbo75025 says: Oct 14, 2013 9:39 PM

assuredmutualdestruction says:
    Oct 14, 2013 6:43 PM
    Wade Phillips will be the head coach starting in 2014. You heard it here first.
    ——
    For Texans fans, I hope not. Wade is a great DC and one of the overall good guys around the league, but he is not a HC. I am not sure he even wants to be a HC again anyway.

13. skolvikesskol says: Oct 14, 2013 10:05 PM

It’s pretty obvious that now is the time for “circling the wagons” or “us against the world” etc. if they succeed he stays, if they don’t then he’s not the right coach for this team. Pretty simple stuff.

14. 2ndaryinsanity says: Oct 14, 2013 10:25 PM

Same old song and dance. Each time the Texans have played poorly over the past 7 years, Kubiak says the exact same thing. I agree with Kubiak about one thing…ultimately it IS on him. He calls the same plays week in and week out, year after year. Opposing players brag about knowing what plays will be called before the snap. It is on him when the players repeatedly commit penalties (100 yards worth yesterday). It is on him for retaining the special teams coach, despite this unit sucking last season as well. So yeah, Kubiak, it IS on you. I hope one good thing comes out of this season…I hope Bob McNair’s patience FINALLY wears out. Kubiak has been here since ’07 and his winning percentage isn’t even .500 it is time for a change

15. thetooloftools says: Oct 15, 2013 12:44 AM

he’s a good man

16. edelmanfanclub says: Oct 15, 2013 1:51 AM

Good answer even though we all know he’s worried

17. arctantheta says: Oct 15, 2013 2:40 AM

he should at least ask to be laid off so he can collect umemployment

18. arctantheta says: Oct 15, 2013 2:40 AM

excuse me, unemployment

19. shatho1 says: Oct 15, 2013 1:24 PM

coming from a cowboys fan u don’t want Wade Phillips as a HC. He is great at DC but it seems that’s all he focused on when he was with Dallas. Sure the cowboys did great their first year going 13-3 but started out horribly the next season at 1-7 keep him as a DC Houston

20. 8to80texansblog says: Oct 16, 2013 4:13 PM

@Texanfan62

I think your off on Rick Smith. He has assembled a beast of a roster.

JJ Watt
    Arian Foster
    Brian Cushing
    Owen Daniels
    Duane Brown
    Deandre Hopkins
    Ed Reed (I’m halfway kidding on that one)
    Whitney Mercilus

It’s on Kubiak, Dennison, and Phillips to get them to play to their potential.