Lions sign Dorin Dickerson, waive Patrick Edwards

Josh Gordy, Dorin Dickerson AP

The offensive injury that has drawn the most attention in Detroit recently has been the knee injury that kept wide receiver Calvin Johnson out of Week Five and limited him in Week Six.

It’s not the only injury, however. Tight end Tony Scheffler suffered his third concussion in the last four years in Week Five against the Packers and missed Sunday’s victory over the Browns, which may have contributed to the team’s decision to sign Dorin Dickerson on Monday.

Dickerson, a seventh-round pick of the Texans in 2010, caught nine passes in 11 games for the Bills last season. Dickerson was released at the end of the summer, but played a similar receiving-focused role for the Bills that Scheffler has filled for the Lions. How much he’ll play remains to be seen after Joseph Fauria caught three touchdowns as the complement to Brandon Pettigrew on Sunday.

The Lions waived wide receiver Patrick Edwards to make room on the roster for Dickerson. Edwards started two games for the Lions this season, but has caught just five passes for 46 yards while missing two other games because of injuries.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Lions sign Dorin Dickerson, waive Patrick Edwards”
  1. dcredz says: Oct 14, 2013 5:21 PM

Wow… I did NOT think they were going to get rid of Edwards… But Edwards also hasn’t earned his keep, so I’m not disappointed or anything.

I didn’t do my research on Dickerson, but a seventh round pick who got waived by the Bills doesn’t scream “weapon” to me.

Anybody want to enlighten me? How are his hands, speed, and route running by comparison to Scheffler?

2. thekiy says: Oct 14, 2013 5:22 PM

Edwards had to go. After watching him give up position to the DB leading to a pick in the endzone on Sunday, you could just see that Stafford was done with him.

Bad hands, no body awareness, no fight = no job.

3. mackcarrington says: Oct 14, 2013 5:27 PM

I guess one way to tell that the talent level of the Bills has improved is that their castoffs are getting signed by other teams.

4. dcredz says: Oct 14, 2013 5:30 PM

If anyone is curious, I answered most of my own questions:

He’s smaller, faster, more explosive, stronger, and was considered under-drafted in the seventh round of 2010. He also – supposedly – has very good hands, according to draft scouts (though he dropped 2 at the combine).
    Don’t know about his route running, and don’t know what’s changed in the few years since he was drafted.

5. dtownsportslions says: Oct 14, 2013 5:34 PM

Edwards has potential but him and Stafford were never on the same page. He needs to learn to play slot because he’s simply too short to try and play outside.

6. warhammer420 says: Oct 14, 2013 5:55 PM

No surprise they got rid of Patrick Drop-wards

7. thetruthcampaign says: Oct 14, 2013 5:59 PM

Why in the world did they go with Edwards over Matt Willis anyway???

8. tomcous says: Oct 14, 2013 6:20 PM

Many of the Bills “cast-offs” were released because they don’t fit the new systems rather than lack of talent …

Dickerson is fast for a TE and has decent hands (not a great blocker) … He went from Steelers to NE before catching on with Bills …

A good amount of potential but he was used in the Gailey system as more of an H-Back and fill-in FB …

9. bigwalt2990 says: Oct 14, 2013 6:51 PM

He could be a real matchup nightmare. 43.5″ vertical leap, 4.40 40 time. He was by far the most athletic TE at the 2010 combine.

10. mackcarrington says: Oct 14, 2013 6:57 PM

@tomcous: Yes, that was my roundabout way of saying that Dickerson is a talented player. I didn’t say he was untalented.

11. thetruthcampaign says: Oct 14, 2013 7:36 PM

MATT WILLIS! MATT WILLIS!

12. koolaidsgonebad says: Oct 14, 2013 7:56 PM

Big Walt…. way to report. I was thinking you were wrong since that was a very deep draft class for TEs… Gronk, Hernandez, Pitta, Graham, Gresham, and Moaeki…. I think I got them all. I think he was a bit undersized to play TE though only like 230. So not a blocker…good thing they have Pettigrew to block.

13. EJ says: Oct 14, 2013 8:05 PM

dcredz says:
    Oct 14, 2013 5:21 PM

================================================
    Dickerson would of made the Bills had the system fit his talents better. Not only is he super quick for his size, but he has amazing hands. I watched him up close during training camp and he is also very smart about using his size when blocking out those covering him. His only flaw that I noticed was his run blocking, he still hasn’t figured out how to block good w/o being flagged. Otherwise, he should make a great addition to the Lions.

14. suhmonster90 says: Oct 14, 2013 9:14 PM

Dickerson was a sneaky factor for the Bills early in this year’s Madden game. Should significantly improve the Lions options on offense in the video game.

Edwards however, was neither a factor in the virtual or the real world. Glad we gave up on him!

15. tokyosandblaster says: Oct 14, 2013 9:32 PM

Packers > Lions.

16. honolublue says: Oct 14, 2013 9:59 PM

Wet paper bag > Packers

17. tokyosandblaster says: Oct 14, 2013 10:55 PM

Wow. So then:

Wet Paper Bag > > Lions

Thanks for the enlightenment.

You guys are going to get embarrassed on thanksgiving.

Embarrassed.

18. ocdn says: Oct 15, 2013 9:34 AM

@ Tokyosandblaster

The game is weeks away and you’re professing a win for your team already which is fine since you’re obviously a Packers fan. If the Lion’s win on Thanksgiving, are you going to have the integrity to answer back on this blog to all the things you wrote here?

19. tokyosandblaster says: Oct 15, 2013 11:09 AM

Integrity? Let’s talk about integrity.

For years, lions fans brought up beating the Packers 7-3, saying that losing Rodgers to injury would have not changed the outcome. Then, after losing the last game, 98% of you came on and said that the only reason you lost was Calvin Johnson wasn’t playing.

Leading up to the game, it was all “The Packers are going to get destroyed” and after the game it was all excuses.

There’s integrity for you.

But yes, I’ll be here either way.

20. skrappie32 says: Oct 15, 2013 12:28 PM

You as a packer fan do have to realize your team is not playing that well at all you have been getting held to field goals and now the injurys are starting to stack up which should start costing GB to start loseing some game comeing up real soon not to mention you are already in 3rd place in the div.

21. tokyosandblaster says: Oct 15, 2013 1:06 PM

Not playing well at all? Yet better than the Lions.

22. jacksprat57 says: Oct 15, 2013 1:07 PM

“I didn’t do my research on Dickerson, but a seventh round pick who got waived by the Bills doesn’t scream ‘weapon’ to me.” — dcredz

Another man’s junk is sometimes Joique Bell.

Fred Sanford’s on the job.

23. ocdn says: Oct 15, 2013 4:19 PM

@ tokyosandblaster

To set the record straight, I for one didn,t blame the lose on the lack of CJ, rather the lack of coaching. Either way, I look forward to Thanksgiving.

24. portsmouthspartans says: Oct 16, 2013 9:14 AM

“Not playing well at all? Yet better than the Lions.”

Really? You have more wins than us?

Also, you beat the Detroit Lions missing not 1, but their top 2 receivers. Our #1 receiver going in to the game was Patrick Edwards who we just released. Good win, strong!

Man I wish I had the time in my day to troll other team posts that have no news concerning my team. I guess I must have a life…