Mike Smith has no update on Steven Jackson’s health

St Louis Rams v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

The Falcons look like they’ll get one of their injured running backs back on the field this week, but the jury’s still out on the one that they signed this offseason to be their top dog in the backfield.

Coach Mike Smith said Monday, via Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com, that he had no update on whether or not Jackson would be able to practice this week. Jackson has missed the last three games with an injured hamstring and there was some hope that he’d be able to make it back before missing No. 4 thanks to the timing of the Falcons’ bye week.

Jackson wrote on his website at the end of September that he wanted to be sure he’s at 100 percent before resuming his season. If he doesn’t practice when the Falcons get back to work on Wednesday, it’s hard to imagine that he’ll be that healthy when the Buccaneers come calling on Sunday but we’ll see how things wind up playing out.

Smith did say that Jason Snelling is expected back at practice as he has progressed steadily through the league’s concussion protocol since suffering one against the Jets last Monday night. Snelling and Jacquizz Rodgers have been holding down the fort in the backfield since Jackson got hurt and may continue to do so if Jackson still isn’t ready to return to action.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Mike Smith has no update on Steven Jackson’s health”
  1. onebucplace says: Oct 14, 2013 6:10 PM

Any updates on the hair reconstruction project for Matt Ryan’s forehead? The glare gives me a terrible headache and before the Bucs travel to Atlanta for their next loss this weekend I need to know if I should order those old people glasses that block out all the light.

2. assuredmutualdestruction says: Oct 14, 2013 6:10 PM

um…um…rise up???

3. dbones641 says: Oct 14, 2013 6:25 PM

this doesn’t help me for my fantasy lineup!!

4. braceyourselffor12 says: Oct 14, 2013 6:36 PM

I hear he is suffering from pleasetrademetoacontender-itis.

5. mackcarrington says: Oct 14, 2013 7:00 PM

Let me predict the future:
    Next season Jackson will be 31 and his chance of staying healthy and productive will be even less than it has this season.

6. dirtybird28 says: Oct 14, 2013 7:07 PM

‘Quizz on my bench appreciates the fantasy football opportunities

7. thereyougo2 says: Oct 14, 2013 7:38 PM

Steven Jackson has been a pulled hamstring since entering the league.

8. teal379 says: Oct 14, 2013 7:48 PM

braceyourselffor12 says: Oct 14, 2013 6:36 PM

I hear he is suffering from pleasetrademetoacontender-itis.

Had his chance to go to Green Bay but didn’t.

I like GB’s chances to hit the playoffs much better than Atlanta’s at this point.

Have to think GB likes Lacy a bit better than what Jackson would have been too.

9. wmelch says: Oct 14, 2013 8:30 PM

onebucplace says:Oct 14, 2013 6:10 PM

I know a lot of people who would scoff at your question and call you names like a clueless idiot, but this is a valid question nonetheless. The hair reconstruction project will be implemented by the folks who are in charge of the MRSA (staph) problem, so I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for positive results. Actually, I believe that that the score of the game may pose more of a concern for you than a headache.

10. thetroofishere says: Oct 14, 2013 8:34 PM

Steven Jackson and Julio Jones are killing me on my fantasy team. At least Gonzo is still playing for me. Smh.

11. ilovefoolsball says: Oct 14, 2013 8:59 PM

Dance, dance, dance to the Julio!
    Man I love that song!

12. wtfchiefs says: Oct 14, 2013 9:42 PM

We don’t need to be informed how an injury helps or hurts your little fantasy make believe team kids.

13. jacobslatter says: Oct 14, 2013 9:58 PM

Stop reporting on all Atlanta Falcons news until next February, it’s depressing.

14. onebucplace says: Oct 14, 2013 10:22 PM

wmelch says:

—————–

Awww, that’s cute, did I insult your boyfriend. Us Bucs fans get a free pass this year for all our actions and words, the team play is punishment enough. I mean maybe not as punishing as thinking you have a team that can win a Super Bowl and you’re 1-4 but still, you get my point.

15. mlenenski says: Oct 15, 2013 8:35 AM

Jackson trade is a bust! It really was unimaginative to think that Jackson wasn’t going to spend half the season injured.

Veteran running back pickups are really being a bust this year.

Falcons needs to go high to get a decent running back next year….or find a diamond in the rough at one of the smaller schools.

And/0r get the Fridge to come out of retirement just so they can get a measly yard in the red zone.