Trial of Sean Taylor’s accused murderer finally begins

The wheels of justice sometimes move slowly.  Sometimes, they don’t move at all.

For the family and friends of the late Sean Taylor, who was killed in his Florida home in November 2007, the official process finally will begin.

According to David Ovalle of the Miami Herald, the trial of 23-year-old Eric Rivera is beginning, with jury selection starting on Tuesday.  Rivera is accused of pulling the trigger.

Also awaiting trial are Charles Wardlow, 24, Jason Scott Mitchell, 25, and Timothy Brown, 22. Venjah Hunte, 25, has pleaded guilty and may testify against the others.

“It is sometimes said that justice delayed is justice denied,” Taylor family lawyer Richard Sharpstein said.  “But in this case, it’s better late than never and justice will be delivered.  The Taylor family has full confidence in Judge Murphy and the prosecution team.”

The men allegedly intended to rob Taylor’s house in Florida, believing that no one was there.  Taylor, his girlfriend, and his infant daughter were in the home.  He was shot in the groin; his only weapon was a machete.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
29 Responses to “Trial of Sean Taylor’s accused murderer finally begins”
  1. nfl4days says: Oct 14, 2013 2:34 PM

All these years later and its still tragic. Not only a hall of fame talent, but a great man. Sean Taylor is why the U will always be my school.

2. birdzflyinhigh says: Oct 14, 2013 2:35 PM

This was such a senseless crime that left a baby without their father. RIP Sean Taylor, and may justice finally be served.

3. sandypar77 says: Oct 14, 2013 2:35 PM

Senseless death

4. broncostevenp says: Oct 14, 2013 2:36 PM

His only weapon was a machete because he had pulled a gun on a couple of teens that he thought had stolen an ATV from him. I don’t think he was allowed to own a weapon after that incident.

5. classyjacklambert says: Oct 14, 2013 2:37 PM

Wow I guess he waived his right to a speedy trial.

6. tmkelley1 says: Oct 14, 2013 2:38 PM

A total smear of the Florida justice system for this to have taken five YEARS! What’s is Florida’s problem? They can’t run elections, they can’t count votes, they can’t get their stuff together to conduct a speedy trial. Are there any adults down there?

7. coltzfan166 says: Oct 14, 2013 2:38 PM

Oh wow. Bout time justice is served on this punk.

8. aprilwalker2013 says: Oct 14, 2013 2:39 PM

If only it would bring him back!! Hope justice is served in this case! #HTTR

9. romosmicrodongs says: Oct 14, 2013 2:40 PM

too bad he didn’t have a gun.

wait, the solution is to make guns illegal. I get it now! we can make people who don’t follow the law, follow the law! surely criminals will hand in their guns like the rest of us.

who am I kidding. guns need to be illegal and our police should search us and our bedrooms and our children to make sure we aren’t hiding any. then we will be safe.

10. blacknole08 says: Oct 14, 2013 2:41 PM

Put the trigger man away for life. Cant believe it has almost been 6 years since Sean Taylor was killed.

11. jhorton83 says: Oct 14, 2013 2:41 PM

It’s taken 6 years for this trial to start?! Unbelievable. The American justice system in action.

12. steelerben says: Oct 14, 2013 2:44 PM

tmkelley1 says:
    Oct 14, 2013 2:38 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There are plenty of adults down there. Unfortunately they are mainly 75 years old and up.

13. abqpacker says: Oct 14, 2013 2:50 PM

6 years? Seriously?

14. pgcubano says: Oct 14, 2013 2:54 PM

RIP 21..theres not a sunday that passes by where I dont wish u were still back there helping out our secondary..httr

15. pooflingingmonkey says: Oct 14, 2013 3:15 PM

I think Taylor would have gone down as one of the greatest safeties in NFL History. Great instincts, tremendous speed for his size, and maybe the hardest hitter pound for pound that I’ve ever seen.

RIP

16. bennyb82 says: Oct 14, 2013 3:18 PM

It would be interesting to know what took so long…probably had to put a bunch of people away for smoking weed and unpaid parking tickets.

17. pillowporkers says: Oct 14, 2013 3:32 PM

I have a feeling Sean Taylor wouldn’t have appreciated where Roger Goodell is taking the NFL.

18. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 14, 2013 3:32 PM

This is still surreal to me to this day. Took long enough.

19. justintuckrule says: Oct 14, 2013 4:13 PM

I’ll always remember Sean Taylor….If only because when I watch the greatest upset in SB history over and over and over I see his number stuck on the back of my team’s helmets.

When I think to myself…whose number is on that sticker again….I say it’s the Washington Slurskin who got shot in the nuts.

20. Nofoolnodrool says: Oct 14, 2013 6:00 PM

Oct 14, 2013 2:44 PM
    tmkelley1 says:
    Oct 14, 2013 2:38 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am sure none of them were involved with Mr Taylors death or were they Ben. It seems the moderators have a decided youth bias… Reflects Bens disrespect for his elders.

21. dlr4skins says: Oct 14, 2013 6:33 PM

I hope they all get theirs…….

Taylor employed one of the kids to help the punk out.

They should be “popular” in prison at their tender ages.

22. claimersays says: Oct 14, 2013 7:58 PM

Would’ve gone down as the greatest safety of the modern era! Rivaled the likes of Ronnie Lott. Ball Hawk, incredible vision and the speed and athleticism to cover ground like no other. See “The legend of Sean” on YouTube RIP Sean, you will always be remembered! Justice NEEDS to be served! A man protecting a baby girl shot through a door in his own home…Saaad

23. claimersays says: Oct 14, 2013 8:12 PM

Justin Tuck is old and slow The tuck rule is no more. Justintuckrule is obsolete, which you can’t spell without an 0- And 5

24. redskinfansince82 says: Oct 14, 2013 9:40 PM

Man This whole thread was one of the most respectful and cool ones in a long time til I read tis fool.

ravanator says:Oct 14, 2013 3:14 PM

Go Ravens!!!

#r-words1-4hahahaha
    #joemontanaflacco

This Why I will never where a piece of clothing with purple. It will hit the trash before it’s ever worn.

By the way I never remember Montana having 10 interceptions in 6 games then pronounced himself as a elite QB. See he didn’t have to say it…..everybody knew this. Just like this thread everybody got it accept you! What a clown.

25. scoobies05 says: Oct 14, 2013 10:23 PM

i understand your anger. please dont think that coment represents what ravens fans think about the senseless death of sean taylor. may he rest in peace

26. Nofoolnodrool says: Oct 15, 2013 11:44 AM

redskinfansince82 | Oct 14, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT

ravanator says:Oct 14, 2013 3:14 PM

Go Ravens!!!

#r-words1-4hahahaha
    #joemontanaflacco

Every fan base has some clowns, but some have more and they are lacking in basic common sense. However that being said Baltimore has several morons that post insensitive drivel frequently…case in point Joeflaccomontanna . Ignore them as they are eternal children…sorry for the loss of Sean.

27. redskinman316 says: Oct 15, 2013 12:24 PM

I remember the day like it was yesterday. I have loved my skins since 1967 and I will until the day I leave this earth. Since I live in southwest Virginia I have had only seen them twice in my life. Both times were in Baltimore the first one was the very first preseason game of Joe Gibbs. That was in the old Baltimore stadium and the second time was the scrimmage in MNT Bank the last year that Shaun played. When I heard the news I cried like my brother had died.

28. giantsfan2104 says: Oct 15, 2013 4:46 PM

justintuckrule says: Oct 14, 2013 4:13 PM

=====================================

Really? REALLY?!

29. pigskinaholic says: Oct 16, 2013 1:33 PM

pillowporkers says: Oct 14, 2013 3:32 PM

___________________________________

Yea just imagine what he would have been fined when he spit in Michael Pittman’s face