Alex Boone on payback: “Am I supposed to be an animal now”

Alex Boone AP

Getting upset seems like a normal reaction when one happens to be kicked in the face.

But 49ers guard Alex Boone admitted he let his emotions get away from him when Cardinals nose tackle Alameda Ta’amu kicked him Sunday, while at the same time pointing to the duality of his job, saying “I shouldn’t have been in the rage that I was.”

“I think people forget that this is a physical sport,” Boone told Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com. “They’re asking us to be like animals out there and really try to grind and grind and grind. All of a sudden, somebody kicks you in the face. Am I supposed to be an animal now? Or am I supposed to be myself?

“It’s hard to sometimes draw the line. But that’s on me. I should know better. I’m smarter than that. I can’t continue to put the team in bad positions. Had we not scored, it could’ve really hurt us. That was my fault.”

When players and coaches tried to settle Boone down after the incident, he seemed to grow more angry, screaming “He kicked me in the f–ing face.”

Boone was called for a personal foul for his reaction, while Ta’amu was not penalized. The penalty wasn’t enforced because of offsetting fouls on other players on the same play. Whether fines are doled out remains to be seen.

Boone was chastised by coach Jim Harbaugh after the fact, and Harbaugh admitted the pattern of retaliation has to stop.

But while Boone said he “hugged it out” with Harbaugh, he still wonders how he’s going to handle the next one.

“You’re out there, and you’re trying to be sadistic and impose your will, and something like that happens and you kind of lose your mindset as to the way you are and what you’re doing,” he said. “I put my team in a bad position, and I hope to never do that again. I got to control myself.”

There seemed to be a clear lack of that Sunday, and how Boone handles it next time will be fascinating now that opponents know what he’s struggling with.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
28 Responses to “Alex Boone on payback: “Am I supposed to be an animal now””
  1. thepftpoet says: Oct 15, 2013 1:11 PM

It’s funny cause he’s fat

2. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 15, 2013 1:13 PM

No you are not supposed to be an animal, that’s what Rams are. You are a miner, so your supposed to just go to work, punch in, and get through the day without causing an incident. That’s it.

3. slugdub says: Oct 15, 2013 1:13 PM

He’s still stewing over this? Move on, guy..

4. r8rsfan says: Oct 15, 2013 1:15 PM

Complaints about your job will fall on deaf ears here.

5. jessejames182 says: Oct 15, 2013 1:18 PM

As long as the NFL let’s soccer moms make the rules, yes you have to play hard but not so hard someone can blame their child’s behavior on it.

6. deffjeff17 says: Oct 15, 2013 1:19 PM

slugdub says:
    Oct 15, 2013 1:13 PM
    He’s still stewing over this? Move on, guy..

I’d like to see you get kicked in the face and move on like it was nothing

7. jiveturkeygobbler says: Oct 15, 2013 1:24 PM

Hulk SMASH!

8. saj4423 says: Oct 15, 2013 1:24 PM

Alex Boone is just what they need on the O-Line. Between him and Davis don’t mess with the right side of that line.

9. jimmyt says: Oct 15, 2013 1:34 PM

With a face like that a good kick might improve it.

10. huhsj says: Oct 15, 2013 1:53 PM

Now imagine if that quote came from Suh.

11. thegreatgabbert says: Oct 15, 2013 1:55 PM

Alameda just showing Alex the Samoan Stomp. Or the Polynesian Leg Punch, or something like that. He learned it from Chris Komeatu.

12. yourmothersmustache says: Oct 15, 2013 2:07 PM

Boone deserves a kick in the face as well as coach Jim

13. assuredmutualdestruction says: Oct 15, 2013 2:14 PM

roidrage…take it to the bank

14. icdogg says: Oct 15, 2013 2:27 PM

Controlling rage after getting kicked in the face would be a problem for a lot of people, I think.

15. harrisonhits2 says: Oct 15, 2013 2:27 PM

huhsj says:

Now imagine if that quote came from Suh.
    _______________________________

I don’t know much about Boone but I can’t remember he being in the news for anything like this before.

And that would be the difference. Suh has a long history of on and off the field incidents. And has that history as the instigator rather than responding to what someone else did.

So that’s a bad comparison. Suh is a dirtbag. He has a long history of actions that only a dirtbag would take. One of the reasons he got so bad was apologists like you that helped him throughout his career and making him feel entitled to engage in that bad behavior.

16. ydousuk says: Oct 15, 2013 2:34 PM

saj4423 says: Oct 15, 2013 1:24 PM

—————————————————————
    Or, mess with the right side of that line so that Boone will snap again and get called for another penalty.

17. thegreatgabbert says: Oct 15, 2013 2:39 PM

Quit whining, goddammit, that’s why they call it FOOTBALL.

18. jasncondit says: Oct 15, 2013 2:45 PM

thestrategyexpert says:Oct 15, 2013 1:13 PM

Ya and considering SF’s population, I bet its the next logo to get changed after Washington’s as I’m sure being labeled a “gold miner” doesn’t (sit well – pun intended) with its citizens…lol

19. gbrim says: Oct 15, 2013 2:48 PM

Look at the replay. Ta’amu’s kick (not right at all) was caused by a late/dirty block by Boone. If Boone hadn’t started it, Ta’amu wouldn’t have kicked him. Neither guy is right in this one.

20. eastcoastninerfan says: Oct 15, 2013 3:00 PM

slugdub says:
    Oct 15, 2013 1:13 PM
    He’s still stewing over this? Move on, guy..
    —————————–
    This was said in the post game interview. He’s moved on to focusing on the Titans.

21. hendeeze says: Oct 15, 2013 3:17 PM

gbrim says:
    Oct 15, 2013 2:48 PM
    ____________________________________

Actually if you had watched the game, Dockett had made a nasty habit of picking himself off the ground while using a forearm to the neck area of opponents, as leverage. If you had watched this replay, Ta’amu is picking himself up, gets a bit wobbly. His hand ventures near Boones throat area. Boone does a swat “get off me” hand swipe to Ta’amu. That some people are calling a “punch” Even though Boone is laying on his side and has no leverage to “punch” That is when Ta’amu intentionally kicks Boone in the face, while Boone is still on the ground. It’s all there on replay.

22. seachicken64 says: Oct 15, 2013 4:15 PM

“Mongo only pawn in game of life.”

23. mackcarrington says: Oct 15, 2013 4:52 PM

From going berserk on the sidelines to “hugging it out” with his coach is a good example of extreme mood swings. Some might think that steroids were involved somewhere.

24. dedmedic says: Oct 15, 2013 8:53 PM

“You’re out there, and you’re trying to be sadistic and impose your will”

I understand that you want to win, but if sadistic is in your job description then you are probably really trying to hurt someone, not so much as take him out of the game. and that makes you an a hole.

25. 4ever9er says: Oct 15, 2013 9:24 PM

@dedmedic says: Oct 15, 2013 8:53 PM

——————————————————Are you denying that there isn’t an element of sadism in Football? You are not trying to injure someone, but you are trying to break their will and if that means causing them pain and discomfort then so be it!
    The game of football has always been taught violently and played that same way, while it’s a controlled violence it’s still violence and once in a while someone is going to snap, it’s happened before and it will happen again!

26. hess97 says: Oct 16, 2013 1:13 AM

Ta’amu won’t be fined because he kicked a Niner in the face. The league actually ondones that play. look at the fine fine Matthews got for his headhunting compared to whitner’s fine for not hitting chris givens in the head.

27. hess97 says: Oct 16, 2013 1:14 AM

*condones

28. buyamericanonly says: Oct 16, 2013 7:14 PM

dont worry boys, the nfl only likes fining suh