Broncos promote King after Packers start sniffing around

Daryl Washington, Tavarres King AP

Tavarres King was going to be on a 53-man roster with one of the best quarterbacks in the league this week, one way or another.

He decided staying put was worth it.

According to Mike Klis of the Denver Post, the Broncos will waive linebacker Adrian Robinson to clear a roster spot to promote King from the practice squad.

The Packers, running short on wideouts at the moment because of Randall Cobb’s injury, were trying to sign King and that forced the Broncos hand.

“It all happened so fast, it was crazy there for a while,” King said Tuesday. “I didn’t know if I was going to be staying here or moving up to Green Bay. But I love it here. This is where I was drafted. I want this place to be my home. Fortunately for me, I guess I got a little love back.”

King was chosen in the fifth round, but was waived in final cuts and added back to the practice squad when he wasn’t claimed, meaning the Packers or anyone else in the world could have had him without letting him make the decision.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Broncos promote King after Packers start sniffing around”
  1. notoriousbri says: Oct 15, 2013 5:06 PM

T’Variusness King…Merrimack College

love Key and Peele

2. broncostevenp says: Oct 15, 2013 5:08 PM

Robinson was a damn good special teams player. We are going to miss him.

3. somethingsmellsrotten says: Oct 15, 2013 5:21 PM

Who cares…Donkeys will win absolutely nothing this year…again.

4. dbfan4ever says: Oct 15, 2013 5:22 PM

Decker and Demaryius Thomas’ contract are up at the same time. My guess is that Broncos will sign Thomas let Decker walk with the thought that King could take Decker’s spot in the roster.

5. louderthanwords1 says: Oct 15, 2013 5:25 PM

Green Bay definitely needs some better depth at reciever. When Nelson, Jones and Cobb are all healthy its one of the best wide receiver trios in football but top to bottom this is the worst green bay receiving corps in years.

6. mn1288 says: Oct 15, 2013 5:39 PM

louderthanwords1 says:
    Oct 15, 2013 5:25 PM

—————

Agree, but still pretty good. My guess is they will split Finley wide and put Quarless on the line. Watch for Finley to break-out this month.

7. bobnelsonjr says: Oct 15, 2013 5:52 PM

He now gets paid a lot more to be inactive on game days.

8. wearethesteelers says: Oct 15, 2013 6:19 PM

What does Irsay have to say about this?

9. elway6532 says: Oct 15, 2013 6:22 PM

Why wasnt the Quentin “Old Gummer” Jammer cut instead? Maybe they just need someone to nickname “Toast” if Rahim “The Dream” Moore gets cut this year.

10. elway6532 says: Oct 15, 2013 6:28 PM

As a huge Broncos fan, I will add that I believe Rahim Moore is a joke. This has nothing to do with him getting beat against Baltimore.

He is a liability in pass coverage, leads with his helmet too much because he is too light to play safety effectively, and makes a “Prime Time” effort in run support.

Give me Duke Nuclearnacho (thats what my 8 yr. old son calls him) anyday over this clown.

11. tonyc920 says: Oct 15, 2013 6:53 PM

louderthanwords1 ,

Your statement is flawed but I think I know what you meant. I’ll take Jordy Nelson over 95% of anyone elses WR. The WR corps is banged up, maybe Jones comes back this Sunday, Boykin is a damn good player, just needs to get regular reps in practice. We have 3 Tight Ends all of them route runners, not so much blockers, Jonathan Franklin was noted for his pass catching abilities coming out of UCLA. He just needs to hang onto the ball. We’ll be alright but the loss of Cobb hurts, no doubt about it.

12. johninthewest says: Oct 15, 2013 6:54 PM

I agree with the Decker move for next year due to the cap and retaining King.

13. tonyc920 says: Oct 15, 2013 6:55 PM

We could use a good linebacker too ! Maybe he passes through waivers. We’ve got 3 banged up inside LB’s.

14. johnnyjagfan says: Oct 15, 2013 6:58 PM

This is terrible for GB. He got hit by a low BS cheap shot that deserves a 6-figure fine.

15. jrebar88 says: Oct 15, 2013 6:59 PM

Wouldve rather them waived Lenon, but maybe they can keep Robinson on the practice squad.

16. frogkiller777 says: Oct 15, 2013 7:15 PM

wearethesteelers says: Oct 15, 2013 6:19 PM

What does Irsay have to say about this?

peyton faxed his opinion to irsay.guess he didn’t receive it in time.

17. ytownjoe says: Oct 15, 2013 7:17 PM

Cheap shot? We will see more of this with the NFL’s new rules designed to prevent concussions.

18. jimmysee says: Oct 15, 2013 8:08 PM

Probably ok for Green Bay.

After all, only one King on that team — #12.

We do hope teams go 8 in the box to stop Lacy.

Jordy and Finley will say “thank you.”

And we may see a career being launched by Jarrett Boykin.

19. axespray says: Oct 16, 2013 12:31 PM

Well, apparently going at another player’s knee is no longer considered dirty, so when someone pops one of your player’s in the knee – you can’t complain.