Carson Palmer doesn’t have time to think about reunion with Pete Carroll

Palmer Getty Images

Say what you will about short-week football; it definitely has one benefit.  Playing on only three days rests leaves no time for dwelling on subplots.

We saw it earlier this year, when Chiefs coach Andy Reid returned to Philadelphia.  And we’ll see it this week, when Carson Palmer faces his college coach for the first time.

Palmer played for Pete Carroll at USC.  But Palmer and Carroll hadn’t crossed paths since Carroll returned to the NFL in 2010.  They will on Thursday night, when Palmer’s Cardinals take on Carroll’s Seahawks.

“On such a short week, I’m so focused on . . . I really haven’t thought much about it,” Palmer told reporters on Tuesday.  “I’ve been so focused about getting the new install and third down and red zone, and then all of the film that I had to get watched in such a short amount of time.  I haven’t even really had much of a chance to think about it.  But just think back, I absolutely love playing for him.  Loved the game.  After the game, I hope to get a chance to see him.  But really, on such a short week, you just don’t have much time to sit back and think about the good old days.  I’ll do that later.  But it’s an honor to play against this team.  I’m not surprised they are where they are.  I’m not surprised he’s been to the playoffs, year in year out.  He’s one of the best there is.”

It’ll also be the first game between the two franchises since the Seahawks blasted the Cardinals 58-0 last December.

“It got brought up,” Palmer said.  “There’s some new guys on the team that didn’t experience that.  But, it definitely got brought up by the head coach and I think he said it in a way that everybody responded well to it.”

We don’t know what the head coach said, but here’s a possibility:  “I probably wouldn’t have this job right now if you guys didn’t get your butts kicked so bad.  So thanks.”

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
15 Responses to “Carson Palmer doesn’t have time to think about reunion with Pete Carroll”
  1. swaggyy says: Oct 15, 2013 10:20 PM

Statue Palmer is going to throw 3 picks

2. mackcarrington says: Oct 15, 2013 10:22 PM

This proves that the media thinks more about this kind of crap than the players do.

3. fumblenuts says: Oct 15, 2013 10:23 PM

Carroll most definitely knows Palmer’s weaknesses so it should be an exciting game.

4. circuscivics says: Oct 15, 2013 10:36 PM

“We don’t know what the head coach said, but here’s a possibility: “I probably wouldn’t have this job right now if you guys didn’t get your butts kicked so bad. So thanks.”’

_______________________________________________

Florio. Your jokes normally fall flat, but this one has me laughing.

5. granadafan says: Oct 15, 2013 11:10 PM

Pete Carroll to Carson Palmer: “Well, at least USC QBs don’t suck as bad as QBs from the entire state of Florida.”

6. vader3234 says: Oct 15, 2013 11:43 PM

I always gave Carson the benefit of the doubt, but after all the picks he’s thrown so far, now I know he just sucks.

7. berggy75 says: Oct 15, 2013 11:57 PM

Go Hawks

8. assuredmutualdestruction says: Oct 16, 2013 12:01 AM

“But it’s an honor to play against this team. I’m not surprised they are where they are. I’m not surprised he’s been to the playoffs, year in year out. He’s one of the best there is.”

Says this weeks opponent of the Seahawks and their coach.

Groveling will not slow down this Seattle defense one bit. Palmer knows he’s in trouble. We are going to put on a show for the Cardinal fans this week. Enjoy.

9. nflcinbengals says: Oct 16, 2013 12:06 AM

Love that Carson always did his homework before a game. With that being said, if you have SEA Dst on your Fantasy team congrats. Palmer will throw at least 3 picks and 2 pick 6’s while being sacked 6 times!

10. osoviejo says: Oct 16, 2013 12:08 AM

“We don’t know what the head coach said, but here’s a possibility: “I probably wouldn’t have this job right now if you guys didn’t get your butts kicked so bad. So thanks.””

Florio! He shoots, he scores!

11. trollhammer20 says: Oct 16, 2013 1:21 AM

That 58-0 game should definitely be a motivator, but as far as “revenge” goes, it’s not Seattle’s fault the Cards turtled after falling behind early. The number of mistakes they made, and their overall performance after the first drive of the game (where they actually had a few first downs and looked like a real football team) was nothing short of shameful for the franchise from ownership to waterboy.

The whole team simply quit trying, and that’s always an ugly thing.

12. rublestiltzkin says: Oct 16, 2013 1:45 AM

Okay, well for those of you who didn’t get a chance to experience the true emotion of being smashed 58-0, we will being showing a live reenactment of it on Thursday night. What’s better, we’ll bring it to you this time. Sharing is caring.
    -Seahawks

13. bengalskuta82 says: Oct 16, 2013 6:16 AM

Right. He is so focused on how he’ll throw his next pick

14. slick50ks says: Oct 16, 2013 9:25 AM

Remember how many picks the fade gave up for this guy?

The gift that keeps on giving.

15. tommyinquincy says: Oct 16, 2013 2:39 PM

There is always “Any Given Sunday”. Except when the game is on Thursday.

Hey, maybe the Seahawks will let it stay close for 3 quarters.