NFL reviewing Ndamukong Suh hit on Brandon Weeden

Brandon Weeden, Ndamukong Suh AP

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh got through Sunday’s game against the Browns without any personal foul penalties, but that doesn’t mean he’s in the clear as far as the league office is concerned.

An NFL.com video shot inside the league’s officiating command center on Sunday reveals that NFL head of officiating Dean Blandino was concerned enough about a hit that Suh put on Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden that he instructed his staff to give it further review this week.

On the play in question, Suh was rushing and hit Weeden just after Weeden threw the ball. The hit wasn’t flagged, Suh didn’t make contact with Weeden’s head and it didn’t look particularly dirty, but Blandino said Suh “lowered his head” and that the league office would need to look at it more this week as a “potential helmet to the body.”

After multiple high-profile incidents, Suh is a marked man. The NFL will monitor all of his hits closely, even the ones that aren’t flagged.

Permalink 89 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
89 Responses to “NFL reviewing Ndamukong Suh hit on Brandon Weeden”
  1. weaselpuppy says: Oct 15, 2013 6:18 PM

It wasn’t flagged or even noted by the announcing crew because it was a clean, everyday play. Go find something else to crab about, NFL.

Football is the new Soccer.

2. noeffinway says: Oct 15, 2013 6:18 PM

Suh is the most dominate d-lineman in the NFL…….’nuf said.

3. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 15, 2013 6:20 PM

They hit us too later on with a play that involved a similar lowering of the head. They didn’t mention that.

4. bringbackkosar says: Oct 15, 2013 6:20 PM

witch hunt

5. t8ertot says: Oct 15, 2013 6:20 PM

I’m no lions fan and I must say this is getting ridiculous. I’ve never seen so much attention paid to one player. Granted he’s earned his reputation but Suh can’t fart in the wind without someone wanting a fine. Let the man play. It’s a mans game

6. dukeearl says: Oct 15, 2013 6:21 PM

I don’t care much for Suh, but I like witch-hunts less…

For any single player to have each of his plays so heavily scrutinized does not add up.

What is next? Each and every play scrutinized from every single angle and the actual game winner announced the next day?

7. detectivejimmymcnulty says: Oct 15, 2013 6:21 PM

I don’t remember who said it but in last weeks games one of the announcers said with all the new rules and fines it sure doesn’t seem like it’s made a difference with head injuries.

“Lowering the head” is a fine? If it wasn’t Suh it probably wouldn’t even be looked at.

8. donmcg2012 says: Oct 15, 2013 6:21 PM

“potential helmet to the body”

Can’t hit in the head with the helmet.
    It’s looking like now low hits, which came about because of head shots will be in question soon. And now the body is off limits too??

Wonder when we go to flags on the belt if the flag colors will be team colors?

9. lionsmark09 says: Oct 15, 2013 6:21 PM

This is getting ridiculous. They won’t stop until he is suspended. What do they want him to do? High Five the QB? Let him play.

10. erikinhell says: Oct 15, 2013 6:23 PM

I thought they’d review the play where Suh clubbed Weeden on the side of his jaw/face with his forearm. I know that penalty on the Browns linebacker for the hit on Stafford was bull.

11. ziggystheansah says: Oct 15, 2013 6:24 PM

I’ve heard of helmets to the head, but boy helmet to the body is new to me. Definitely not a witch hunt, of course

12. seahawks12lob says: Oct 15, 2013 6:24 PM

Suh is a great role model and nothing but a class act

13. kremis says: Oct 15, 2013 6:24 PM

They were also going to review some hits and tackles by the Steelers, but they couldn’t find any…….

14. suhmonster90 says: Oct 15, 2013 6:24 PM

I think even the sportswriters must be growing tired of this witch hunt.

Didn’t even try to blow the play out of proportion in the article.

15. noeffinway says: Oct 15, 2013 6:25 PM

Suh knows!

16. stainlineho says: Oct 15, 2013 6:26 PM

Wow, watch the video! That Blandino guy is a little b!tch!!!

17. lionsblood73 says: Oct 15, 2013 6:26 PM

This is a BS witch hunt. The league is just begging for Suh to do something wrong. Next, they will be fining Fauria for his awesome dancing!

18. shlort says: Oct 15, 2013 6:26 PM

Suh has been labeled as a dirty player, and rightly so. Now he is under the constant microscope of the league. Is Suh a great player? Yes. Is Suh weak minded and lacks self control? Yes. Is Suh a dirty player? Yes.

19. justintuckrule says: Oct 15, 2013 6:32 PM

Poor guy’s only option left is to change his name to John Smith, change his number to some non-descript 70’s number, wear a fake mustache and hope the refs and league don’t recognize him when he plays. “Illegal hit to the body”? This league is a JOKE!

20. mackcarrington says: Oct 15, 2013 6:32 PM

Suh has only brought this upon himself.

21. bennyb82 says: Oct 15, 2013 6:33 PM

If he did not lower his head, he would have hit him in the helmet…

22. ahs2 says: Oct 15, 2013 6:36 PM

If I were Suh, I’d but out of my contract at the end of the year and go play in Canada…they may nto have teh same talent level, but at least they still play like men there.

23. jayhawk6 says: Oct 15, 2013 6:37 PM

Witch hunt? Seriously?

Suh’s flagrant behavior in the past is what is bringing on all the attention.

He made his bed…let him lie in it.

24. ahs2 says: Oct 15, 2013 6:38 PM

“buy” not “but” out of my contract…but then again, maybe “but” is the better word to use, lol!!

25. dlionfan says: Oct 15, 2013 6:40 PM

i saw the play & it was nothing. Suh had to lower his head or it would have hit into Weeden’s face mask, so he lowered his head & barely made contact with Weeden in the shoulder/chest area

26. somethingsmellsrotten says: Oct 15, 2013 6:41 PM

In honor of breast cancer awareness, let’s just let every player hang a pink towel from each hip all season long…and no more tackling.

Just grab the little pink towel from their hip and that player will be down…end of play…end of football as we know it.

27. hbdbrowns33 says: Oct 15, 2013 6:41 PM

Why doesn’t the league review the garbage officiating of that game because I don’t recall Suh doing anything that bad. He slammed Weeden, so what? This is still football I believe.

I will never totally blame the officials for a loss but it was close in this one. Look at the Groves roughing the passer and the pass interference calls on Joe Haden for proof. But, if the Browns had a competent QB this game would have been much closer.

28. nfl4days says: Oct 15, 2013 6:42 PM

“This just in, the league is investing the dump Ndamukong Suh took before the game that may have caused the toilet to back up!”

29. bigdaddyrockytop says: Oct 15, 2013 6:42 PM

Why is it so hard for guys not to use the top of thier helmet? Noone teaches that in any level of football. Just see what you hit.

30. 4512dawg4512 says: Oct 15, 2013 6:45 PM

How about the god awful pass interference call on Joe Haden that ultimately lead to a Lions TD. They need to review that. And people booing and crying about Weeden, I think he did pretty well considering that he had Suh in his grill the whole game and his defense let them drop 24 points in the second half. Come on Browns fans, quit going for the low hanging fruit and look a little deeper into this stuff, you may think twice about blaming it all on the QB

31. bminder1972 says: Oct 15, 2013 6:45 PM

I see we got some. Browns fans whinin when they lose. Funny they can’t handle a loss, but think they’re superbowl bound after a win. I saw the game, CLEAN hit. Besides, I thought u browns fans were sick of weeden?

32. lionsdraftguy says: Oct 15, 2013 6:46 PM

The NFL reviewed it and found that Suh is still the man!! Go Lions!

33. jetsmmt says: Oct 15, 2013 6:46 PM

Not Suh’s fault, he was born about 20 years too late.

34. klong311 says: Oct 15, 2013 6:51 PM

Let the guy play. Good lord enough is enough.

35. skoobyfl says: Oct 15, 2013 6:52 PM

Say it ain’t Suh ?

36. dodohead418 says: Oct 15, 2013 6:54 PM

Potential helmet to body? It was helmet to body which is a good hit!

37. brownsclown says: Oct 15, 2013 6:54 PM

Suh should have crushed Brandon’s Wee Wee.
    That would have put him on IR and endeared Suh to Browns fans. Wouldn’t have hurt Weedones ability to act, think, look, sound or play like Opie!

38. gb4mn0 says: Oct 15, 2013 6:57 PM

Suh is a duplicitous goon!

39. scandiman says: Oct 15, 2013 6:59 PM

Not a lions fan, and not a Suh fan. If the NFL keeps going in the direction it is, I do not think I will be an NFL fan much longer.

40. primetime0552 says: Oct 15, 2013 7:01 PM

give me a break, it was a very clean hit. Mise well fine him because he got an offsides penalty too.

41. theflyingtad says: Oct 15, 2013 7:04 PM

This might just be what Suh needs….

Seriously, scrutinizing plays like that will start shifting the court of public opinion in his favor. Right now, it is against him for 3 or 4 dirty plays from his past.

If he starts looking the victim of the NFL judgment, this will make him a more likable player.

42. tonyc920 says: Oct 15, 2013 7:06 PM

Packers fan here, I’ll agree Suh is playing with a microscope on him. Common sense will tell you with all the “Confirmed Agressive Play” he’s been nailed for, they are going to watch you closer than the rest of the players. He’s a phenominal talent, but his brain is messed up. The man has anger issues on the field that need to be toned down, or this so called “Witch Hunt” will continue. I didn’t see this particular play as I was watching the Packers beat the Ravens, but if the TV guys say it was clean, I’ll agree.

43. cornbredd says: Oct 15, 2013 7:06 PM

From the untrained eye of this Browns fan, the hit looked clean and legit.

44. mibengal says: Oct 15, 2013 7:06 PM

This is getting way out of hand. Every play they say “He led with his helmet.” You know why?Their heads are attached to their shoulders. Can’t touch the helmet. Can’t even use your shoulder to tackle. Can’t go low. All you can do is cuddle them to the ground. I’m NOT a fan of Suh’s dirty play but the rules are being OVER used. It really is turning into flag football.

45. cruzer1996 says: Oct 15, 2013 7:23 PM

Come on. Really?

46. ivanpavlov0000 says: Oct 15, 2013 7:27 PM

“Potential hit on the quarterback”
    “Potential helmet to the body”

Does Dean Blandino get a commission on the fines he helps generate? A bonus based on the number of plays they flag that result in fines? He and his video are throwing everything they see against the wall to see what sticks. It’s ridiculous.

47. bensstinkyfingers says: Oct 15, 2013 7:33 PM

I used to date his mother Bernie when I lived in Portland, and his biological father was off playing soccer in Europe. Unfortunately he is a product of not having a steady father figure to discipline him. When I came around and casually dated his mom I remember him being a chubby little brat always bullying neighborhood kids,( boys and girls) because he was bigger then everyone. he would sneak in and steal whole bags of cookies from his moms hiding places, then when she would spank him he would sit on the floor throwing a tantrum crying, then he would break his moms plates and kick and punch holes in the wall, and this was age 8 or 9. I wanted to put him over my knee ,but didn’t want to overstep my role since I basically would come around when I was in town for business, and his real dad was never there. I haven’t been surprised when I read all these stories, he is still that big chubby baby boy who gets caught with the empty bag of cookies.

48. justintuckrule says: Oct 15, 2013 7:34 PM

I’m telling you….he needs to call Heisenberg’s vacuum salesman and get a whole new identity to avoid the scrutinizing eyes of Goodell and his rule enforcement minions.

49. gary2525 says: Oct 15, 2013 7:34 PM

Let the guy play football every hit will be looked at from him cause of his past and that’s bullsh!t.

50. achilles007 says: Oct 15, 2013 7:35 PM

I am sure some will disagree with me but i think the only reason that the colts never won more than one super bowl is because of there defense, especially there run defense.

51. FinFan68 says: Oct 15, 2013 7:36 PM

I watched the video and as a fan of 4 decades, there was nothing wrong with that hit.

This is nothing more than a guy trying to justify his job. It is a common mistake made by an inexperienced evaluator that thinks he must find “something” or else it looks like he isn’t doing his job. You can tell that from the way they interact and what they say in that room. They are acting like the child that stares intently into the dark closet at night. Stare long enough and you will see things that are simply not there.

52. shadowman1946 says: Oct 15, 2013 7:46 PM

Last week we get to head injeries from helmet to helmet in Green Bay and no fines and they look at this for a fine what a joke.

53. bengalskuta82 says: Oct 15, 2013 7:50 PM

No need to review. Brandon Weeden is a Cleveland clown QB. He’s not that special.

54. hendeeze says: Oct 15, 2013 7:54 PM

You made your bed Suh, now sleep in it.

55. grumpyoleman says: Oct 15, 2013 7:56 PM

I find it funny he is considered dirty because I don’t think he has ever injured anyone or even come close

56. brownsapologist says: Oct 15, 2013 7:58 PM

Normally I hate everything Suh not because he’s a dirty player, but because he pretends like everyone is stupid for thinking that he is. Nothing worse than a dumb football player thinking he’s smarter than the people watching him beat his brains in every Sunday. But this is a rare occasion that his hit wasn’t THAT malicious. He added a little extra force when he rolled Weeden over but nothing serious. If anything should be reviewed it’s the garbage late hit on Stafford that kept the drive going late in the game.

57. GenXJay says: Oct 15, 2013 8:02 PM

Suh ain’t suspended yet…what a disgrace to the game.

58. blindshootist says: Oct 15, 2013 8:06 PM

I know.. the NFL should just use the Minority Report approach and fine the defense or aggressive players for just THINKING about hitting anyone. Flags flying while their in the huddle… awesome… just take off the pads already and let them play because the subjective nature of the current rules leaves too much control in referees hands.

Conspiracy theorists should see this as the counter balance to expanded instant replay.. more control and influence with subjective non-reviewable calls.

59. brett76 says: Oct 15, 2013 8:12 PM

Maybe he can borrow a pillow from James Harrison so he can gently lay opposing players on the field. Either kick him out of the league or leave him alone. It beyond BS now

60. matthews82 says: Oct 15, 2013 8:13 PM

This is ridiculous. What is the fine difference between between fines levied against defensive players and offensive players? It must be like a 10/1 ratio.

61. buyamericanonly says: Oct 15, 2013 8:15 PM

In related news the NFL will now be known as the Nancy Football League.

62. mn1288 says: Oct 15, 2013 8:45 PM

If he hadn’t been so pompous and arrogant when he actually was in the wrong over the past couple years, the NFL wouldn’t be doing this. Seems to me like they’re giving him the big FU now – If you’re not going to change your game, we’ll just be annoying as heck.

63. usdcoyotesfan says: Oct 15, 2013 9:05 PM

If Suh doesn’t like being scrutinized more closely than other players, maybe he should’ve thought of that when he was grabbing Andy Dalton and Jake Delhomme by the head and tossing them to the ground. Or when he was ripping Jay Cutler’s helmet off. Or shoving Evan Dietrich-Smith’s head to the ground then stomping on him. Or kicking Matt Schaub in the nuts. He wasn’t even man enough to own up to any of this.

64. nsideindy says: Oct 15, 2013 9:11 PM

He brought on the extra attention himself. Not such a bad thing for him to think that they are watching his every move. That way he may think twice before he plays dirty.

65. titansbro says: Oct 15, 2013 9:13 PM

Hard to get Suh for this one if they didn’t get Mo Wilkerson for the Locker hit.

66. Chris Henry's Wild Ride says: Oct 15, 2013 9:16 PM

I understand why the NFL is protecting quarterbacks because they are the stars and like big targets out there and without the quality at the position then the passing game will suffer tremendously……but…..I’m a little confused why they are looking at a play of someone hitting Brandon Weeden…..he clearly is not a quarterback.

67. sosuhme says: Oct 15, 2013 9:44 PM

The NFL stages this “behind the scenes” event for promo purposes , and just by sheer coincidence they happen to be reviewing a play involving Suh. And we are suppose to believe there is no Witch Hunt? The NFL should be ashamed.

68. crownofthehelmet says: Oct 15, 2013 10:04 PM

We’ll it’s better than having his hit on weed reviewed.

69. lks311 says: Oct 15, 2013 10:12 PM

bensstinkyfingers says:
    Oct 15, 2013 7:33 PM
    ———–
    All this background info from a guy names “benstinkyfingers”

Survey says: You’re Lying.

70. koenig61 says: Oct 15, 2013 10:18 PM

@ kremis. I guess you didn’t see the hit Troy had on Stephen hill in the jets steelers game? It’s an article about suh and your tolling butt decided to make a comment about the steelers? Might have been a good comment by you had polamalu not lit up hill in that game. Troll on kremis

71. couchbasher says: Oct 15, 2013 10:31 PM

I don’t care for Suh much, or the Lions but I do find that enjoy witch hunts for jerks!

72. yajas says: Oct 15, 2013 10:52 PM

I think the witch hunt for Suh is bull, but it did look like on that play he put his helmet straight into Weeden’s chin. It makes sense that they would review that based on how they’ve been enforcing that rule.

73. megatron4carterneday says: Oct 15, 2013 11:36 PM

If they are going to be like this in the front office we should counter with something as fans. As a Lions fan I want to start a “Suh fund” and donate some money every week. By the end of the year we can save enough money to pay his fines and let this man play the game as it should be.

74. 4sharita says: Oct 15, 2013 11:57 PM

Seriously? This is getting ridiculous!

75. bbje77 says: Oct 16, 2013 12:11 AM

If I was Suh, I’d intentionally “two-hand touch” the QB one time, to make fun of the NFL for how they continue to treat him. During the final minutes of an already decided game, of course.

76. tokyosandblaster says: Oct 16, 2013 12:47 AM

I look forward to the many personal fouls this joker helps us with during the Thanksgiving game.

Who will he try to trip? Who will he try to stomp? Who will he hit late?

It won’t matter, as the Packers will turn all three 15 yard penalties into Touchdowns.

77. freebird2011 says: Oct 16, 2013 5:53 AM

I’ve watched the video over and over again. It appears to me that while Suh led with his head, the actual contact was from his two arm thrust/punch maneuver. That’s probably why the officials on the field didn’t call anything. If the standard on review is indisputable evidence, that video doesn’t qualify.

78. dbarnes67 says: Oct 16, 2013 7:59 AM

Its a wonder he ever gets to the QB with all the Olinemen that are usually draped all over him. Clean hit as was the one where Stafford got knocked down

79. dbarnes67 says: Oct 16, 2013 8:02 AM

The NFL is becoming the new NBA except the NBA allows more contact.

80. otis52gsh says: Oct 16, 2013 8:04 AM

I love it

81. mrsmell says: Oct 16, 2013 9:00 AM

The hit was looked at because the ball came away so ugly, yet the NFL failed to realized what most fans already know, and that is Weeden stinks.

82. brownsfan19 says: Oct 16, 2013 9:13 AM

As a Browns fan I can honestly say that there was nothing wrong with his hit. The officiating was terrible but they at least got this call right at the time. Looks like they weren’t satisfied with the other blown calls so now they are going to go back and try and make another one by fining Suh.

83. attyman says: Oct 16, 2013 9:17 AM

Blandino looks like the geek in high school that was bullied by athletes. From what I can see, he’s never played a down of real football in his life. He has spent his entire career as an official and when I say official I mean a replay official only. This guy wasn’t even good enough to be an actual official on the field. So the fact that this nerd is making judgments as to how an athlete should controls his 300lb body is silly.

However, I’m more frustrated over the fact that Merton (the Giraffe) Hanks is the one who actually reviews these and levies the fines. As a former defender he should be forever shunned by the NFL community for turning this league into powder puff.

I don’t remember him being a ref in any game I’ve ever seen).

Therefore, I can understand his foolishness.

84. chi01town says: Oct 16, 2013 9:31 AM

Throw this bum out bye any means nessasary. Do some dirt and put Suh out for the rest of the season. I will back you and defend the move right here against all these Lions fans.

85. steveb9995 says: Oct 16, 2013 10:43 AM

Typical Bears fan, so upset about “dirty” play that he wants someone to cheap shot another player.

86. primetime0552 says: Oct 16, 2013 10:44 AM

usdcoyotesfan says: Oct 15, 2013 9:05 PM

=========================

When did Suh grab Dalton by the head and throw him down? He had him by the shoulder pad. It was definitely roughing the passer, but he didn’t touch the head…

Whed did Suh grab Delhomme by the head and throw him down? Suh did commit a facemask penalty on Delhomme, but he let go and again threw him down by the shoulder pads. He should’ve been flagged for the facemask and he did rough the passer.

When did Suh ever rip Jay Cutlers helmet off? This just simply didn’t happen. He got fined once for pushing Jay Cutler to hard(which even Bears fans can admit was a complete joke).

Evan Dietrich-Smith’s is one that nobody can defend. Was just stupid and he deserved to be suspended for it.

I’m still not buying he initially kicked Schaub in the boys. He was getting pulled down by the offensive lineman and his head was turned away from Schaub. He somehow knew exactly where Schaubs boys were and put his foot exactly in the right position. I guess I didn’t realize he had eyes in the back of his head and was a ninja. I do agree that Suh tried to ‘trip’ Schaub like most defensive players would do in that situation, but I think its more a coincidence that he hit him where he did.

I like how 3 of the things you said were almost completely made up. The Schaub ‘kick’ you can interpret how ever you would like.

87. primetime0552 says: Oct 16, 2013 10:57 AM

tokyosandblaster says: Oct 16, 2013 12:47 AM

Who will he try to trip? Who will he try to stomp? Who will he hit late?

=================

Just like the Packers did in Lambeau? Oh wait, they were only able to score one touchdown. When the Packers come to Detroit, they are going to have to score more than one touchdown to win the game. Going to be hard with Cobb out with a broken leg…

88. motowndown says: Oct 16, 2013 4:13 PM

And the witch hunt continues…

89. marc0626 says: Oct 16, 2013 8:19 PM

anyone that says that hit was illegal is delusional…..