Tomlin orders Steelers to stop somersaulting into the end zone

AP

Steelers receiver Emmanuel Sanders caught a pass from Ben Roethlisberger on Sunday and raced toward the end zone to help Pittsburgh clinch its first win of the season, but Steelers coach Mike Tomlin didn’t like what Sanders did as he crossed the goal line.

Sanders leapt into the air and somersaulted into the end zone as he scored, and Tomlin said today that he’s putting a stop to that practice, which Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell did earlier this year. Tomlin described somersaulting into the end zone as “silly.”

“There will be no more somersault-into-the-end-zone celebrations,” Tomlin said, via Bob Labriola of Steelers Digest. “There is the potential for injury. That simple.”

Sanders looked like he was just trying to have fun, not taunt the Jets, but Tomlin is right. It’s simply not worth the risk that a bad landing could potentially cause a serious head, neck or back injury. Next time Sanders scores, he’d be better off emulating another Sanders and simply hand the ball to the official.

108 responses to “Tomlin orders Steelers to stop somersaulting into the end zone

1. LOL!!!

The steelers haven’t done sh t since steelers team doctor dr. rydze fell under federal suspicion and indicted for hgh/steroid distribution.

LOL!!!

2. Correct me if I am wrong, but diving/flipping/somersaulting into the endzone without means of avoiding a tackler is also an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. That is why they shouldn’t do it. I understand the risk for injury, but it is plan disrespectful as well.

3. There’s potential for injury… and it’s just stupid.

Showboating and celebrating is pretty stupid when your team is winless (which they still were at the time). And this is coming from a Steelers fan… it’s embarrassing.

4. And I agree, it risks injury. But also, if you’re not winning, you shouldnt be dancing. Thats why I’m glad Jacoby didnt dance when he scored the TD on Sunday. It wouldve made him look foolish.

5. Not to mention they haven’t won a game until Sunday. Your the Steelers! You shouldn’t be so happy you are beating a team like the Jets for your first win of the year.

6. And as bad as the Steelers record is, I still know its gonna be a GREAT game between them & us come Sunday. Records mean NOTHING when these 2 teams get together. BEST RIVALRY in football.

7. After all, who would do something stupid to celebrate a score….. like headbutt the back wall(Gus Frerrote injured neck out for the year) or jump to celebrate a field goal (Bill Gramatica injured ACL out for the year). Nooooo, these guys don’t injure themselves AT ALLLLLLL!!

8. I wonder if the Steeler offense will have any opportunity in the coming weeks to show that there’s a policy change… :p

9. Hey Steelers – Roy Williams (the WR) just called and he wants his meaningless celebrations back.

That first down celebration was atrocious, and this isn’t any better when your team keeps losing.

10. Maybe the league should hand out a notice so the players realize that somersaulting in the air and landing on your neck and back could be dangerous. We wouldn’t want another lawsuit.

Knuckleheads.

11. The coach has to order guys not to pull dumb stunts? That speaks volumes to the state of that team right now.

12. Actually I feel Tomlin is absolutely right in this case. I’ve often thought the same thing as I watch these players get cute going into the EZ. It doesn’t take much to land the wrong way and get a season ending injury…even career ending in the event they would land on their head/neck the wrong way. The risk is not worth that type of celebration.

13. Agree on all points. The endless celebrations are so dumb. As I was watching my crappy vikes last weekend, I couldn’t believe the antics coming from the supposed leaders of that defense. You’ve got Allen ropin imaginary calves and greenway high kicking like he’s one of the Rockettes. All the while, they were absolutely getting their asses handed to them by Cam and the Carolina panthers. As far as the somersault, each time I saw the replay, I kept expecting sanders to need help from the trainers to get off the field. 7 times out of 10 a guy will get injured pulling a stunt like that.

14. wearethesteelers says: Oct 15, 2013 12:37 PM

Tomlin knows how to run a team. Everything is moving in the right direction.

I literally just laughed out loud at that one!! News flash – Tomlin is HORRIBLE!!
    he and Haley both suck, BAD!

15. The Steelers aren’t the only team that has players doing summersalts and stupid things in the end zone. However, I’m glad Tomlin did put his foot down and said no more antics. Should be a great rivalry game this week with the Ratbirds! I don’t care what record we have. Our division so far this year isn’t very good so the Steelers aren’t out of it just yet.

16. mblade says: Oct 15, 2013 12:50 PM

Super Bowl bound?? 6 rings?? I believe your record is 1-4 and you’re in last place in your division.
    —————————————————————-

mblade, please go to wikipedia and look up the word sarcasm………………..ok now do you get it?

17. “There will be no more somersault-into-the-end-zone celebrations,” Tomlin said…

———————————————————-

Wow, first that meanie Tomlin took away all the team’s Candyland & Hi Ho! Cherry-O sets & now he won’t let the kiddies tumble around & act silly anymore when they get really excited.

I wonder what Tomlin gonna say next week?
    “No more wire hangers… EVER!” perhaps?

18. Somersaults into the end zone over five games add up to a whole two: by Le’veon Bell and Emmanuel Sanders.
    Even more irritating is Antonio Brown’s constant “first-down” antics, regardless of the score. I’ve never seen more showboats on a team that’s 9-13 over its previous 22 games. Wish these guys would tone it down and start acting a little more humble during such problematic times.

19. There’s no bigger Steeler fan than me, but this team has absolutely no leadership among the players. The departures of Bettis, Ward, Smith, Farrior and others have left them with a group of young, immature, me-first players that wasn’t tolerated in the past. Veterans like Polamolu and Miller need to step up and be more vocal. Banning ping pong isn’t the answer.

20. jjackwagon says: Oct 15, 2013 1:18 PM

You mean the Steelers know where the end zone is?

———————————————————-

Of course they do.

It’s where their opponents’ offenses spend most of the game standing…

21. The celebrations are all dumb. All of them. Some are just look at me self promotions, some taunt the other team and some are injuries waiting to happen. Celebrate a team win instead of an individual(‘s) play. There is very little professionalism in professional sports.

22. Celebrating with risk of injury is awesome. Football itself is dangerous, therefore it is fun.

Ergo

Awesome(Celebrating with risk of injury)
    + Dangerous fun (Football)
    = Awesomely Dangerous Fun (Celebrating with risk of injury during Football)

I rest my case.

23. Wish these guys would tone it down and start acting a little more humble during such problematic times.

I agree with Tomlin as a flip increases the chance for injury, but they have had little to cheer about….lighten up…cheeze!

24. buckybadger says:
    Oct 15, 2013 12:38 PM
    ————–
    Loving the double standard. This time last week the Steelers were predicted to be at 0-5 because Geno Smith, fresh off his spanking of the Atlanta Falcons, was going to pick them apart with his precision passing and the No. 2 defense was going to kill Ben. I’m sure this time next week, if the Steelers win vs. BAL then that will be discredited too.

To be fair, I agree. Sanders’ (and Brown’s) celebrations are completely unnecessary. Sack dances are ok because they don’t happen as much, but Antonio’s habit of celebrating every first down is annoying.

25. Very good advice you should fool it yourself….oh wait the oracle of the prunes…nah humble you can spell not be.
    ___________________________________

What?

26. Not only is there potential for injuries but also a penalty. Going to the ground is technically no longer allowed after a TD. I can’t remember which game it was last week but the refs ignored a player doing that right in front of them should have been a 15 yards unsportsmanlike penalty.

27. Good timing on this announcement. Sanders risked injury with one flip, imagine how much risk there’d be this Sunday with 7 sommersaults.

28. When Antonio Brown holds the ball out and drops it when he gets a first down, I want to slap him.

29. I’m not hoping for it, but there will come the day when some idiot player seriously injures himself during a touchdown celebration only to find out that the touchdown has been nullified by penalty or booth review. Maybe that will help to bring an end to these ridiculous celebrations.

30. They don’t see the end zone much and when the do its should call for a 4th of July celebration. Have to agree with Tomlin, celebrating is a me type thing. No need for it. I would start fining guys 100k needless celebrations

31. tsmercurio says: Oct 15, 2013 12:33 PM

—————————–
    I think that rule only applies to college football.

32. bad news bigbenowns. in one more game played the ravens defense has allowed only 13 more points than the vaunted steeler defense. so the steelers are giving up more points per game. so try again. but not with the offense. ravens have scored 46 more points. weak arguement from bigbenowns aside, stats are out the window in these games. looking forward to another classic

33. doctorrustbelt says: Oct 15, 2013 12:33 PM

LOL!!!

LOL!!!
    **************
    They won 4* SB’s in the 70’s using steroids. Now they win two* using HGH. Cheat to win the superbowl….it’s the Steeler’s way!

34. joemammy says:
    Oct 15, 2013 12:34 PM
    But…but…but…we have SIX RINGS!!!

Lol…

– Six Lombardi trophies and lovin’ every minute of it. Besides your obvious jealousy of Pittsburgh’s success, what’s your point ?

35. Of all the issues the Steelers have, Tomlin is losing his sleep over somersaults into the end zone?

… hard to imagine why that team is struggling.

36. I saw David Wilson pull this move against the Eagles before his sorry Giants got beat by 2 TDs and he went on IR….. Just play the game and do your best

37. sixlombardisinyourface says: Oct 15, 2013 2:07 PM

joemammy says:
    Oct 15, 2013 12:34 PM
    But…but…but…we have SIX RINGS!!!

Lol…

—————————————————————-
    So, are you “lovin every minute” of this season?

38. sorry bigbenowns, didn’t read your post til after I sent mine. You were too generous though with only 6 TDs. Figure if Manning can put up 7 scores, so can Ben.

39. Flipping into the endzone during the game that you were 0-5 heading into is akin to when my Lions play the team fight song after kicking a meaningless 4th q field goal when they are are the recieving end of a blowout

40. topcide says: Oct 15, 2013 2:38 PM

____________________________________

YOUR LIONS??? LOL

If they were your Lions, you’d know we are leading the NFC North right now! 🙂

41. The NFL should make a touchdown celebration rule with only two options.

1) You either just hand the ball to the ref like Barry Sanders

….. or …..

2) You do the Billy “White Shoes” Johnson “Funky Chicken.”

You can’t improve on perfection.

42. I like seeing a team that is doing well getting excited about it. It is entertaining when there is a genuine display of joy playing the game. However, the contrived, “look-at-me” antics and the premeditated dances are just stupid. If you have played like garbage all year or if you are in a game where the other team is stomping a mudhole in you and walking it dry it is time to focus on getting things on track. You get paid millions of dollars to take that football 300 feet or less into the scoring area. If you succeed in doing so, you’ve done your job.

Could you imagine a janitor spiking his mop and then doing the Douggie after finishing the hallway? How about your mechanic tightening on your lug nuts by doing a flip? A lawyer spinning his briefcase after a successful litigation?

43. Smart decision by Tomlin and other coaches ought to do the same. It is nothing but showboating. Act like you have scored a TD before, as Barry Sanders did.

But it is hilarious to laugh at all the Steeler haters here who flaunt their ignorance! LOL!!!

44. oxfordthecat says:

—————————————————-

45. buckybadger says:
    Oct 15, 2013 12:38 PM
    ————–
    Steeler’s Didn’t-but-Will-eventually says:
    Oct 15, 2013 1:38 PM

—————————————

You missed my point. The Steelers aren’t a franchise that should be celebrating because they got their first win in week 6. That isn’t how that franchise runs. I am not discrediting the win but simply stating that no one associated with the Steelers should be celebrating anything right now. It isn’t their style to be happy at 1-5 or even 2-5. The win is great and they can build on that but lets not act like they are any where near they want to be.

Is it a double standard? Yes of course it is. You aren’t the Jaguars who are just trying not to go 0-16, you are a respected franchise. I am a Packer fan I would hold my team to the same standard as I am the Steelers right now.

I don’t mind celebrations but only when there is something to celebrate. Broncos can dance all they want and Chiefs live it up because it doesn’t last forever. When you are a storied franchise and are performing far below the norm I think its best just to hand the ball over and concentrate on getting better. No one’s job is safe over their right now and I would worry about the film I am producing more than my celebration dance.

46. I don’t have a problem with the team being given happy to have finally won a game. If u can’t be happy about that then what’s the point? But I totally agree with Tomlin for reasons of injury as well as being classless. And why r people criticizing Tomlin for banning that? Banning something that could lead to injury IS a benefit to the team as opposed to allowing it and sum1 gets injured and it HURTS the team!

47. Sorry, I missed the part in the article about Tomlin losing sleep. The biggest issue this team has is lack of discipline and leadership. Tomlin is providing both. I believe that is called: His job.
    =================================

And here I thought: His job. was to win football games.

No wonder they’re 1-5.

48. so buckybadger, were you OK with the A-Rodg “belt” move after each TD pass, even when you had a losing record?

49. I love all the trolls talking like the Steelers were the only team using roids in the seventies. The only teams that didn’t use roids in the seventies were the jags and the panthers.

50. wearethesteelers says: Oct 15, 2013 12:37 PM

Tomlin knows how to run a team. Everything is moving in the right direction.
    ===============================

Yes it’s counter clockwise if you’re a northern hemisphere Steeler’s fan.

But if you’re a southern hemisphere fan, I believe it’s clockwise.

51. And here I thought: His job. was to win football games.

No wonder they’re 1-5.

There you go again saying you thought. Everyone on this thread knows a troll like you doesn’t think rather posts in a frenzy going back and forth between screen names like a squirrel looking for hidden nuts….amusing and pathetic there joeflaccomontana .

52. These kids nowadays with their flippity-floppity hippity-hoppity end zone celebrations! Who’s got time for that! Act like you’ve been there before! Wait. What were we talking about?

53. I say, this hippity-hop flippity-flop nonsense is most un-germane to the gentleman’s game of foot-ball.

I’m in concordance with Tomlin’s righteous strictures. Hitherto, there will be no place for such tomfoolery and shenanigans in the “City of Bridges.”

54. Deb says: Oct 15, 2013 3:07 PM

I believe that is called: His job.

———————————————————-

First & foremost I think his main job is winning football games.

Looks like he ain’t doing his job after all, ain’t it?

55. quittsburghstoolers says:
    Oct 15, 2013 5:11 PM
    Deb says: Oct 15, 2013 3:07 PM

I believe that is called: His job.

———————————————————-

First & foremost I think his main job is winning football games.

Looks like he ain’t doing his job after all, ain’t it?

2 1

First and foremost Tomlin is a coach not a player . Second his coaching resume in the NFL is much better than yours. Finally, the steelers have burned a lot of you haters as so many of you are coming out of the woodwork, under rocks, and under bridges to bash on the steelers. No problem, I ll take your bandwagon crap until we get back to a place you have never been AGAIN.

56. Nofoolnodrool says: Oct 15, 2013 4:08 PM

And here I thought: His job. was to win football games.

No wonder they’re 1-5.

==========================

And that would make you correct one less time than the Steelers have won games this season.

Now, remove the two “no”s in your name and you’d be on to something.

57. There is no reason for any player who is going into the endzone UNCONTESTED to leave his feet in any manner. Somersaulting is selfish and is taunting just as the rest of the ways taunting has been interpreted by this wuss league.

The only time a player should not be penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct when crossing the goal line off his feet is by diving to the pylon, jumping over a blocker or an offensive line in a goal line situation, or being tackled into the endzone.

THERE IS NO REASON TO CELEBRATE BEFORE YOU ACTUALLY SCORE.

58. bigfool:
    The complaint about Brown reaches well beyond myself. The radio talk shows have been besieged with complaints about Brown and his obnoxious showboating. If you lived within a 500-mile radius of Pittsburgh, you might actually know the pulse of my prune-juice consuming city.
    How’s things in Virginia?
    Steelers-less, I bet…

59. bobzilla1001 says:
    Oct 15, 2013 6:26 PM
    bigfool:
    How’s things in Virginia?
    Steelers-less, I bet…

2 0
    Report comment. Big prune sucker, things are a little rainy here in gods country midst the horses,hay, and tourists. Plenty of prune less steeler fans proudly taking it on the chin for supporting Ben. Sorry you are still waiting on Beethovens fifth, but if the prunes don’t work try drains.

By the way, I agree put the ball in the refs hand, but come on with the change in the maturity level of the NFL his action reflects the steelerBen crowds maturity level.

60. Celebrating a sack, tackle for loss, first down, TD, or a turnover is nothing more then showboating(winning, losing, blowing out, or getting blown out all apply). I can see some celebrating if it’s a career milestone, but keep it classy(the classic fist pump is a classy move). All these look-at-me tactics from any team is tiresome, that would make me stop watching football before all these crappy rule changes.

61. Nofoolnodrool says: Oct 15, 2013 4:08 PM

And here I thought: His job. was to win football games.

No wonder they’re 1-5.

___________________________________

Switch to decaf???

62. buckybadger says:
    Oct 15, 2013 3:29 PM

———————
    I would love to see that work ethic as well, but the fact is these are kids that often get caught up in the moment. If he continues to be a jackhole after his coach publicly tells him to stop, then I have no problems with Sanders sitting out a game to learn his lesson. You won’t see Heath Miller somersaulting into the endzone, for one he might break a hip, two he’s an experienced vet and knows better. I have zero problems with a player celebrating a ‘meaningful’ TD (non-garbage time) in any game no matter the record. In this case Sanders was admittedly over the top about scoring a TD that extended his team’s first lead of the season since being up 2-0 in week one. It was celebration-worthy, but I miss the days when spiking the football in the endzone was enough celebration. On the other hand, Antonio Brown needs to learn that first downs should be considered a little more business-as-usual.

63. Come on scoobs, you know I’m too much a hypocrite to say that – Flacco just got lucky for his SB. But any way you slice it Ben > Joe. Good day sir.

64. C’mon Coach, Let the boys have some fun…
    After all, it’s not like they score anymore anyway!